Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  thenit : (03 December 2015 - 05:38 AM) Not a complete game, but the effort was there, and voila we are at least competitive even when we arent playing well
@  cointurtlemoose : (03 December 2015 - 04:44 AM) Corey Brewer went from being absolutely horrible (whole season) to being the Corey Brewer that we all remember and love (tonight)!
@  thenit : (03 December 2015 - 03:02 AM) yep and lawson is having his bst game so far in the season
@  slick shoes : (03 December 2015 - 02:53 AM) it's crazy what happens when the rockets play defense.
@  thenit : (03 December 2015 - 01:46 AM) Not looking good after the 1st Q tonight either.
@  thenit : (01 December 2015 - 04:56 AM) It doesnt help when Bev looks like he lost a step since the surgery and now we have 2 wing defenders who can't defend. So Bev has become Lin with worse offensive skills and shooting
@  thenit : (01 December 2015 - 04:55 AM) Thought last year he finally got it by at least exerting effort and by seeing the results he will be even more willing to play a two way game. Sadly I was completely wrong, he is worse than his first year here
@  thenit : (01 December 2015 - 04:53 AM) Harden is the new Carmelo, high volume usage, scorer, with no D and effort. Will never win a championship with him
@  thenit : (01 December 2015 - 04:52 AM) Its the curse of the Kardashian clan, seriously though Harden can score 80 and it still be close because he doesn't defend. Too many times he just stands there. Not even trying, fame has gone to his head.
@  Jatman20 : (01 December 2015 - 04:08 AM) Opps....on us
@  Jatman20 : (01 December 2015 - 04:07 AM) Rockets have gone Wizard of Oz no us !! No Heart (Harden still looks heartbroken over Chloe), No courage and No Brains (Bickerstaff is less of a coach than McHale at this stage in their careers).
@  majik19 : (01 December 2015 - 03:29 AM) We should've fired Bickerstaff, not McHale. Our defense is killing us.
@  Jatman20 : (01 December 2015 - 02:54 AM) Time to go scorched earth on the Rockets roster!!
@  Cooper : (01 December 2015 - 02:28 AM) on the semi plus side Lawson doesn't look like the absolute worst player in the league.
@  Willk : (01 December 2015 - 01:29 AM) this team needs to be booed from the start of the game to the end of the game during their next home game. This effort is pathetic
@  cointurtlemoose : (30 November 2015 - 03:32 AM) A mix of really bad and really good tonight, but it was a gutsy comeback!
@  slick shoes : (30 November 2015 - 01:38 AM) that was more of a rhetorical question, but good to see you're on your game ;)
@  jorgeaam : (29 November 2015 - 08:12 PM) 7/12 shooting from the field, 8/9 from the line
@  jorgeaam : (29 November 2015 - 08:12 PM) 6, he also had 5 assists and 7 rebounds
@  slick shoes : (29 November 2015 - 05:46 PM) how many treys did Covington bury?

Photo

The Dream Scenario - Dwight and Deron - what are the chances?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,167 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:20 PM

There is less of a chance percentage wise that the Rockets would get the first pick than the Rockets getting Howard in a deal and signing him and Williams to long term deals. We have under a 1% chance of winning the lotto I think.

on the day we got yao we didn't have the worse record. we got lucky. as long as our name is in the hopper we have a posssibility of winning. lets keep our fingers crossed :rolleyes:

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#22 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:46 PM

http://blog.chron.co...-seems-certain/

The primary goal, however, remains unchanged. The Rockets need a star to be the foundation of their rebuilding.

The Rockets headed into this season believing they had Pau Gasol to be that centerpiece star. There were a few hours March 15 they thought it would be Dwight Howard. Instead, the Rockets finished the season with more players averaging seven points or more and none averaging as many as 18. (Martin, their top scorer, averaged just 17.1 and did not play after March 11.)

From what Feigen has been told, it was very close. I have no reason to believe anything has changed except that the Magic now have more reason to deal him.

#23 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,167 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:38 AM

http://blog.chron.co...-seems-certain/

From what Feigen has been told, it was very close. I have no reason to believe anything has changed except that the Magic now have more reason to deal him.

sometimes the race goes to the turtle. I know its hard to wait, but I also believe we are in perfect position to strike if a deal arises. howard can be a diva sometimes, but for what he means on the court I think we can get him a snickers.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#24 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
    • 1,547 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:42 PM

Thought I would add that if I'm the Magic, unless Dwight straight up demands to be traded, I would just hold onto him and see what happens. They can still offer him the most money if he tries to play the market.

An offer of Lowry, Martin, Morris, and 14, and 16 is nice. But none of those pieces are franchise-altering or even remotely close to it. They'd help with the turnaround, but if they lose Dwight, they might be on their way to a top 3 pick regardless. Given that, it's probably better to test the chances that Dwight decides to stay if they promise to fire SVG.

#25 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,167 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:24 AM

true if they lose howard they are lottery bound, but if you wait and don't trade him and lose howard you didn't get a chance to dump your bad contracts and get talented young players instead which will add to rebuilding time by at least a couple of years. based on an overall veiw of orlando's situation I think unless he signs a contract b4 the season starts, they almost have to trade him. they can't have another circus like this year and they can't afford to wait for the decision and then get lebroned

#26 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 338 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:15 AM

Theoretically,if a Dwight trade was done right before Draft,there'd still be time for Orlando to flip Martin to Minn for mostly expiring contracts of Miller and Webster and pick up the #18 and Memphis 2013 First.(Or it could just be a straight 3-Team trade,same diff.)

#27 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
        • 1,547 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:49 AM

true if they lose howard they are lottery bound, but if you wait and don't trade him and lose howard you didn't get a chance to dump your bad contracts and get talented young players instead which will add to rebuilding time by at least a couple of years. based on an overall veiw of orlando's situation I think unless he signs a contract b4 the season starts, they almost have to trade him. they can't have another circus like this year and they can't afford to wait for the decision and then get lebroned

I feel like it's a risk/expected value assessment between the probability/return value of keeping Dwight and the value of that overall package.

So for instance, we know what that package does for them. It gives them nice pieces to move forward, but none are game changers.

We know what Dwight does for them: he makes them from bottomfeeders to contenders.

The only variable is the probability of his return. If the chance of keeping him is at, say, 20%, I think that his value is so significant in comparison to the expected value of that package, that they might just decide to roll the dice and keep him. They have to determine what that probability figure is.

#28 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 4,167 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:16 PM

Rahat:
          I think if orlando doesn't have at least a 50% chance of resigning howard they move him. they would have to believe that howard would not only sign, but be happy with the team situation as well in order to endure another circus like this year. while it is true you rarely get equal value for star players, you can't risk loosing them for nothing in return. they may look at utah's situation with williams and decide that is a better course of action than playing the waiting game.

#29 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
          • 1,547 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:17 PM

How does the SVG firing affect things?

#30 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
            • 1,590 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:01 AM

How does the SVG firing affect things?

Dwight will be picking the replacement, and will most likely stay the entire season in Orlando. He will still leave in the offseason when they can't get anyone alongside him. In my opinion Orlando has a slightly better chance at getting a star alongside him as we do acquiring a star, which is small.... They have no trade pieces aside from Dwight to get anyone to significantly impact their team in my opinion. Im a firm believer that the only reason he signed the ETO(not because of the "loyalty" he has for Orlando) was to avoid going to a team he didn't want to play for(ie. Houston).

#31 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 338 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:53 AM

The true dream scenario is Houston gets the #1 pick and McHale gets KG Part Deux to develop. W/the 16 First the team drafts a SG who becomes the next Ray Allen and Parsons turns into Pippen. The Rockets rule the West for next Decade. :)

As to the Dwight Drama.
                The SVG firing was a Hail Mary to keep Dwight-and it fell to the ground incomplete.
                Not only has Dwight remained in LA rehabbing,he's not even bothered to talk to the Magic,not even w/SVG fired.
                The Magic are realizing Dwight's gone and they're going to have to blow up the team. For that they're better off getting one of the bright,young coaching prospects-who just happen to be cheap.
                Orlando is the master of the PR game,esp w/the local writers. Firing SVG puts all the onus on Dwight,esp when he leaves."See we did all we could,including firing the Coach Dwight didn't like and still Dwight wanted to leave us.What more could we have done?"

#32 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                • 1,547 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:59 PM

Wanted to revisit this topic again now that the lottery is over.

I thought that the single biggest threat was NJ. They were the only team that would have willingly traded the #1 pick for DH12. Now, they don't even have a pick. Their best offer would be a resigned Lopez and Marshon Brooks.

The Lakers are also looming. After yet another disappointing exit, have they changed their stance on trading Bynum? They could trade Pau for a resigned Deron Williams and then Bynum for Dwight. Would the Nets want an aging Pau or would they prefer to start fresh?

Perhaps Golden State puts Steph Curry and/or Bogut in play. That could also be enough to seal the deal.

Houston's offer would remain around Lowry, Martin, 14, 16, and some further combination of Budinger, Morris, Patterson, and Motiejunas.

Pretty much any and everyone in the Houston cupboard is in play right now.

Morey could flip Lowry to the Raptors for #8 and then Martin to the Wolves for the #18 and Beasley. They could then send Orlando a package of 8, 14, 16, 18, and either of two former 14's (Morris/Patterson), or/and a projected top-10 if coming out this year (Motiejunas.)

Houston also has the flexibility to take back Turkoglu or Richardson/Davis. If they trade Dalembert, they can give Orlando instant savings of $6million on the year.

Houston can't offer a blue-chip prospects, but they can offer Orlando long-term, immediate financial relief and a king's ransom of cheap young prospects. Depending on what blue chip prospect is in play (Bynum, Curry), I think the Rockets stand as good a shot as anyone right now.

#33 mboss03

mboss03

• Members
                  • Pip
                  • 2 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:17 PM

Do you think Toronto would take Lowry straight up for #8? I think we'd have to give up at least 16 with him.

#34 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                    • 1,547 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:21 PM

Do you think Toronto would take Lowry straight up for #8? I think we'd have to give up at least 16 with him.

Good point.

Perhaps I overvalue Lowry. He's a 26 year old fringe All-Star locked into a friendly contract. In terms of potential, if the player you drafted at #8 turned into that value, you'd be ecstatic. So I personally think he's worth the #8 alone. But I could see it needing the #16 to get it done.

#35 mboss03

mboss03

• Members
                      • Pip
                      • 2 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:44 PM

He's also a guy that's only had one really good, fringe all star type year and he doesn't have a very high ceiling at a position that is fairly easy to find players close to his caliber or better -- we do have in our favor that there isn't a huge crop of PGs this year, so there does seem to be a nice market.

But personally I would be more excited about a fringe all star type prospect at any other position with #8 if I were Toronto.

#36 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                        • 1,547 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:11 PM

^Good points; he definitely has locked out his ceiling.

#37 Lyfestyle

Lyfestyle

• Members
                          • PipPipPip
                          • 182 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:51 PM

I hate to always be the wet blanket around here, but how could the Rockets compete with a Hawks package built around Horford? Or a Sixer package? Or a Nugget package?

Hell, LAL may offer Bynum and OKC could conceivably offer Westbrook.

It sucks, but I don't think Houston's will even be in the top 5 of the offers Orlando will receive.

#38 sircharles

sircharles

• Members
                            • PipPipPip
                            • 283 posts
                            • LocationAustin Tx

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:10 PM

The rockets have draft picks to sweeten up the deal which is what those teams are lacking.

#39 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
                            • PipPipPip
                            • 338 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:22 AM

Re Bynhum.
                              Jr Buss just went and slobbered all over him,reinforcing the belief you'll have to pry Bynum from Jim Buss' cold,dead hands.

The problem for Rockets is that the Stars who are available are Secondary Stars(Gasol,Iguodola) who can perhaps get you into Play-Offs,maybe Second Rd,but no further.

#40 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                              • 1,547 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:57 AM

The rockets have draft picks to sweeten up the deal which is what those teams are lacking.

I think I sort of agree with Lyfestyle here though that when you're trading a superstar, you'd rather have that ONE blue-chip guy in return rather than multiple mid-tier picks.

If Westbrook is in play, its game over. But I kind of disagree on Horford - I would rather have all of those picks (especially a #8) than Horford. He's a great defensive anchor for a good team, but he's not someone who can be even the second best player on a title team.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users