Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

[The Economist] The elephant on the court

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:59 PM

Daryl Morey, writing in The Economist:

In contrast, NBA teams cannot hold the rights to anyone beyond the 15 players on their active roster. That makes them more like elephant mothers, who give birth to very few babies and have to gestate them for almost two years. With limited investment opportunities, teams are forced to choose only the players with the greatest likelihood of success, and then give them a long-term contract and a potential path to significant playing time. And no one could have called Mr Lin a high-probability prospect. In the end, he only got his break after he had polished his game for a year in the NBA Development League (“D-League”), basketball’s minor league, and when a series of injuries on the Knicks created an opening at his position.

http://www.economist...etball#comments

It was a pretty interesting piece. Morey talks about the notion that anyone could have predicted Lin's success. Some of the comments are actually pretty interesting too, taking issue with Morey's argument.

#2 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,125 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:21 PM

good reading. very interesting. gives insight to some of the thought process that goes into choosing players. I for one believe morey is the right man for the job here. people are on him for not having a star player yet but if the comish had not vetoed our trade we would have been a different team this year. even though plan B didn't workout this year he kept us in position to pull the trigger if another deal does present itself. its tuff waiting, but what else can you do?

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#3 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,184 posts
    • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:54 PM

I read the comments and found myself agreeing with them. Comparing someone being successful at identifying college players to a fictional character heavily implies that the job is in fact impossible, but he didn't really provide enough evidence to back his assertion. Yes, there will be players in college who have similar stats to Lin but don't get picked up by the NBA, and I am broadly sympathetic to his point of view. But his example wasn't great, nor did he really give it the attention it deserved. Show me a few examples and clearly explain their similarities to Lin (ie. not just looking at the box score stats, which Morey has repeatedly said are meaningless), and I'd be more inclined to back the piece, but given the resources at Morey's disposal I'd have expected him to be able to come up with something better than he did.

ST

#4 Forrest Walker

Forrest Walker

• Members
    • Pip
    • 30 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:10 AM

It's going to be hard for that piece to read like anything but "here's my excuse for cutting Lin," though I don't think he should have to.

In any event, I think his best point is sort of buried. He'd clearly prefer a more robust minor league and development system. And on that I completely agree. He clearly didn't want to cut Lin at all, and if he could have instead migrated him to a different league he would have done so.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users