Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Is Marcus Morris a bust?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:54 AM

I wrote about Marcus Morris here: http://www.red94.net...dalembert/9506/

The clip from above is from that game. As I type this, it's the 3rd quarter of Rockets/Warriors. I wish I was watching this game from home because Morris had some more nice possessions in the first half that I would like to grab and upload.

He had a spin and turnaround, similar the one in the above clip, that is a big-time NBA move. Few guys can do that that fluidly.

What does everyone make of Morris? It seems that most feel he is a bust and that it was a bad pick by Morey. I have to disagree - I just think he never got a chance. He has the skills to help this team. As I wrote in the cited post, he just doesn't do any of the other things and that's why he doesn't get playing time.

People trash Morey for being too 'conservative.' But I actually think the Marcus Morris pick is an example of a very high-risk/high-reward pick. He could have played it safe and taken a conventional positonal player like Leonard. But they took a guy in Morris hoping to convert him into a small forward. It may have been a bad move and it may not work out; it may have been the wrong move - but it was high upside move, something he's criticized for allegedly not making. At 14, manufacturing something like that was the only way to get 'high upside.'

It's going to be interesting to see what happens with Morris going forward. How will he ever see time on this team with Chandler Parsons already entrenched at that position? There's no way he can ever beat out Parsons - Chandler just brings way too much to the table. Maybe a trade of Chase opens things up? But can we lose Chase's shooting?

#2 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,125 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:45 AM

I think morris only lacks opportunity. I saw him at kansas, and believe me he has game. I think its time to move bud and give him a chance.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#3 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 437 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:23 PM

Maybe he'll decide that he is a stretch PF and not a SF. I think he could help the Rockets in more ways there. If we deal Scola which, may or may not be a good idea, he could be the back-up 4 and get a little time at the 3 if need be. If he can score on the box and hit some jumpers him and Patterson could have a nice 1-2 combo for years to come. Although that changes if Motie comes over next year and is ready to step in and play big minutes. Zero said he doesn't think Motie is a C so he'll have to play PF. If Motie is as good as we all hope he is that might make Patterson available as trade bait and I think he has some worth. Either way I think Morris has more of a future at PF for this team.

#4 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,184 posts
      • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

Give him another year before you jump to any conclusions. Remember that the lack of practice time this year will probably have hampered his development quite a bit. If you're not getting playing time, the way you convince your coach that you're ready for some is by playing well in practice...but there hasn't been any. Young players can't really be evaluated until they've played a proper season, IMO. Not that anyone is yet, but it would be easy to label Patterson as a lost cause as well given how poorly he has played recently. But we shouldn't do that until he's had an off-season to work on his game either.

ST

#5 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
      • 1,547 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:22 PM

I think morris only lacks opportunity. I saw him at kansas, and believe me he has game. I think its time to move bud and give him a chance.

But then if you move Bud, where does the shooting come from? It's funny because while the Rockets are just a mediocre team, they're absolutely stacked 1-12 through their lineup. Goes to show the importance of star players in the NBA. You can have good players all through your roster and still not be any more than above average.

#6 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 4,125 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:05 PM

But then if you move Bud, where does the shooting come from? It's funny because while the Rockets are just a mediocre team, they're absolutely stacked 1-12 through their lineup. Goes to show the importance of star players in the NBA. You can have good players all through your roster and still not be any more than above average.

morris is a better player than bud (IMO). he doesn't shoot the three ball as good but has a lot move offensive moves than bud. he is the future at small forward not parsons. once he get playing time he will take the position over. he has the highest ceiling of any of the small forwards on our roster. I think he can be a borderline star/very good player. he should be playing

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#7 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
        • 1,547 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:22 PM

morris is a better player than bud (IMO). he doesn't shoot the three ball as good but has a lot move offensive moves than bud. he is the future at small forward not parsons. once he get playing time he will take the position over. he has the highest ceiling of any of the small forwards on our roster. I think he can be a borderline star/very good player. he should be playing

I agree he has the highest ceiling. But I don't know how they can ever take out Parsons. Defense is just so valuable to winning basketball.

#8 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 4,125 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:00 PM

we could get away with a little less defense on the wing if we can get somebody to protect the rim.

#9 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 338 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:45 PM

For the immediate future perhaps the Rockets need to shift some players around.
            Start Parsons at SG,find a scoring SF(Draft,trade). Find a passing back-up PG and shift Bud to SG and Morris to SF and have a second unit that is more offensively oriented. This of course means Martin and Lee are not on the team.

If the Rockets think continuity is more important then re-sign Lee and Dragic,start them w/Parsons and have a second unit of passing PG,Bud and Morris. Add a defensive,shot-blocking C and the first unit is a defensive group and the second unit w/Motie,Patterson,Morris,Bud and PG to be named is more scoring oriented.

You would have to say Morris has been a disappointment. For a team so short-handed,esp when Bud was struggling early and Lowry was out,Morris not getting court minutes is a major negative. Now if this happens next yr as well,then we can start talking bust.

#10 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 437 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:04 PM

I watched him play a lot in college too. He spent his time posting up smaller guys and catching and shooting from the outside. He was also posting up bigger guys. He wasn't beating a lot of people off the dribble. When he did it was against guys who would be PF or C if they were actually good enough to make it to the league, not SF. That's why I think he could be helpful at the 4. He can post up and when he gets bigger guys he can beat them on the perimeter. Playing PF is not like it was 20 years ago. You aren't glued to the block. I think he is a match-up problem for a lot of PF. In addition I think he could guard PF more easily than he guards SF.

#11 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
              • 1,547 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:19 PM

I watched him play a lot in college too. He spent his time posting up smaller guys and catching and shooting from the outside. He was also posting up bigger guys. He wasn't beating a lot of people off the dribble. When he did it was against guys who would be PF or C if they were actually good enough to make it to the league, not SF. That's why I think he could be helpful at the 4. He can post up and when he gets bigger guys he can beat them on the perimeter. Playing PF is not like it was 20 years ago. You aren't glued to the block. I think he is a match-up problem for a lot of PF. In addition I think he could guard PF more easily than he guards SF.

But can he rebound enough to be an NBA 4? Even as a small forward, against smaller players, he's looked awful on the boards, when I see him near the basket. If the team played him at the 4, I worry they'd get killed inside.

#12 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 4,125 posts
                • Locationhouston

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:47 PM

I disagree. I think he is a small forward in the carmelo type of mold (to strong for small players and to quick for big players). remember you heard it right here first. this kid is going to be a borderline star.

#13 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 437 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:02 AM

He's not as quick with the ball, not as good of a dribbler, not nearly as good of a shooter, not as good of a passer as Melo (when he wants to pass) and not as good of a scorer. He is a better rebounder though I think. I think we are agreeing on what he can do, I just think he'll have to do it in the 4 spot and you think he can get it done at the 3. And I hope you're right.

#14 Guest_Zero_*

Guest_Zero_*
                  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:36 PM

Every time I see or hear about Marcus Morris I can only think one thing: we could have had Kawhi Leonard.

#15 afaut

afaut

• Members
                  • Pip
                  • 5 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:00 PM

Every time I see or hear about Marcus Morris I can only think one thing: we could have had Kawhi Leonard.

MFing this.

this.

#16 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                    • 1,547 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

MFing this.

this.

He's obviously been the better player than Morris, no question. But at the same time, does he give you anything different than Parsons? At least going forward with Morris, you have an opportunity to have a new dynamic to the team.

/homer

#17 bob schmidt

bob schmidt

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 103 posts
                      • LocationBrownsville, Texas

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

I don't think that it is possible to label MM at this point in time. During this compacted season we had little opportunity to practice, and Morris was injured and unable to perform. Next year will afford the coaches everything that was not possible this year; primarily practice and time to evaluate skills and problem areas.

Frankly, it seems to me that PP and MM share a lot of the same qualities. They both have skills and might be decent contributors, but I don't see star-player potential in either of them. If we could package the two of them for one solid player, SF or PF, the team could improve. Otherwise, it is a question of coaching and learning curve of these two guys.

When the season is finally over, and our roster is re-shaped, MM may not be a future consideration for the Rockets. Major changes are probable, even though it is interesting to speculate. I'd love to be a "fly on the wall" in Morey's office the next few months. I fully expect to be surprised at our eventual roster for next season. Meanwhile, Morris needs to work his tail off this summer if he wants to see a future in Houston...

#18 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                      • 1,547 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:50 PM

For what it's worth, Les Alexander (via the Chronicle) said he watched Marcus Morris hit 32 of 33 three pointers in practice the other day.

The one practice I had time to attend this year, I saw basically the same thing. The guy hit basically everything. He's a skilled offensive player - McHale needs to give him a chance.

#19 wtflife

wtflife

• Members
                        • Pip
                        • 12 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:30 PM

3 things I would consider

One is that it is ridiculous to suggest a player can be a bust after his first season.

Two can a player drafted outside of the top 5 (I admit this is arbitrary) be a bust. I mean what is the average expectation of a #14 draft pick.

Finally Kawahi Leonard is at this point so overrated it is frightening. He gets to play with Tony Parker and Tim Duncan he is a great athlete no doubt but he is not a great defender yet. He does seem to have a good corner 3 which paired with Parker is a very effective attribute. I just don't see a lot of upside.

I hope Marcus Morris becomes a big time player, but at this point the only real answer is I don't know. Anything else is just an attempt to answer because we feel the need to have an answer.

#20 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
                          • PipPipPip
                          • 437 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:11 PM

But can he rebound enough to be an NBA 4? Even as a small forward, against smaller players, he's looked awful on the boards, when I see him near the basket. If the team played him at the 4, I worry they'd get killed inside.

While I agree he's looked bad as a rebounder I think that is one of the easiest things to teach. He rebounded well in college and I think he is willing to do it. It's much harder to teach someone how to defend, and almost impossible to make someone significantly quicker.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users