Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Dallas Mavericks 111, Houston Rockets 100: If you’re not worried, you should be.

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,133 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 22 February 2015 - 03:59 PM

Look at Josh Smith hurting the team here  :)

#22 King's Gambit Accepted

King's Gambit Accepted

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:25 PM

I'm not sure how you have decided Smith is hurting us (I presume because he is taking minutes away from D-Mo), but I very much disagree.

i like Josh Smith play recently more but its only because his 3s are falling and when his hot streak stops I guess he'll be awfull again....look DMO is simply a better player from JS...miles better offensively....its nice to have josh outthere for certain matchups but he doesn't know how to play within himself and is not near as efficient and useful as DMO....and our offense should be run mainly through DMO...whoever is taking  shots away from DMO is hurting us.....that josh is favored over Dmo on offense is only a matter of politics (or perhaps the contract agreement- remember hes promised starting position and who knows what) not the quality of players... Dmo is even better than Dwight let alone Smith...and honestly hes even more efficient than Harden who has trouble creating for himself when whistles are silent not so for DMO...

#23 King's Gambit Accepted

King's Gambit Accepted

Rookie

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 52 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:28 PM

this is circumstantial evidence... hes like that cow that gives a lot of milk then  hits the can with her leg and spills it all over the floor....hes bonneheaded player and doesnt play within himself...when his hot shooting streak is over hell be mostly negative influence....

#24 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,290 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 07:01 PM

No smith would have meant way more joey dorsey which is never a good thing.

#25 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,184 posts
        • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:54 PM

No smith would have meant way more joey dorsey which is never a good thing.

Should have an article up later today that disputes that assertion ;).

ST

#26 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,133 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:51 PM

Should have an article up later today that disputes that assertion ;).

ST

Because we'd still have Tarik Black?!?!?!  :wub:

#27 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,133 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 February 2015 - 06:29 PM

i like Josh Smith play recently more but its only because his 3s are falling and when his hot streak stops I guess he'll be awfull again....look DMO is simply a better player from JS...miles better offensively....its nice to have josh outthere for certain matchups but he doesn't know how to play within himself and is not near as efficient and useful as DMO....and our offense should be run mainly through DMO...whoever is taking  shots away from DMO is hurting us.....that josh is favored over Dmo on offense is only a matter of politics (or perhaps the contract agreement- remember hes promised starting position and who knows what) not the quality of players... Dmo is even better than Dwight let alone Smith...and honestly hes even more efficient than Harden who has trouble creating for himself when whistles are silent not so for DMO...

Whoa.  I respect your right to have this opinion, but I firmly disagree.  If you truly believe that James Harden should be a role player that orbits around D-Mo then there is not much I can say to dissuade you.

Just so we are clear, the "Josh Smith demanded a starting spot" thing was proven completely false on multiple fronts.  It's an internet rumor--not a fact.  It was Smith himself that asked to come off the bench and it was Smith himself that refuted the reports before he ever got here, but hey, we should probably believe what the Twitter Vultures vomit all over the web in their desperate attempts to be relevant.

twitter-vulture.png

Actually, it's more like the human centipede except with "news".

news.jpg

I like D-Mo a ton.  I recognize that he is playing great and has yet to reach his ceiling.  I truly feel Morey will not trade him unless a super-duper star is on the other end of the deal.  However, that has as much to do with supply and demand as it does his actual value in a vacuum.  James Harden is an elite guard in a league teeming with elite guards.  To stand out in that group is special.  D-Mo has a lot of great qualities, but he is far from being on that same level as Harden.

As for Smith, Bill Worrell mentioned in one of the recent broadcasts that the Rockets' coaching staff has him glued to the three point line in practice making sure he gets his shots in.  So far, it is working.  I won't disagree that he makes bone headed plays, but I think his positives far outweigh the negatives.  I also think he is getting more and more comfortable on the team and doesn't feel like he has to do everything--Brewer, Ariza, Motie, Jones, Harden, and company can do a lot and Josh spends most of his time drawing the defense to set them up and then crashing the offensive glass.  On defense, he plays smart.  For someone who contests as many shots as he does he only draws 2.5 fouls per game while getting lots of blocks and forced misses in the process.

Depending on the match-ups, I do think we will get to see some heavy doses of D-Mo in the playoffs.  Teams will set up to stop James and when they do Motie is going to get the call.  Personally, I'd love to see the team spend an entire quarter doing nothing except attacking the post.  Give Dwight 6-7 post-ups in a row and then, once he gets a little tired, move Motie into the post and let him go at it.  Those opposing defenders can only do so much before they get tired and start fouling.  With Smith/Jones hitting the offensive glass from the weak side I think we will frustrate the heck out of the opposition.

#28 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,133 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 February 2015 - 06:56 PM

By the way, James Harden is currently 5th in the NBA in PPS (points per shot) with a stellar 1.50 score.  He trails only Tyson Chandler, DeAndre Jordan, Kyle Korver, and Mason Plumlee.  Guess who is #6.....Dwight Howard!!!

D-Mo comes in at #58 with a score of 1.23.  He is one spot behind Zach Randolph and one spot ahead of Chandler Parsons!

Josh Smith is at 1.00 (#116)

LINK

#29 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 475 posts
        • LocationHouston

Posted 26 February 2015 - 05:48 AM

Everytime i see Josh protecting the paint (and he does it well for the most part) i just get a little sad that he doesn't get to do more weakside blocking until dwight gets back. That pairing is going to be ridiculous, and if your curious about how its going to look/what i mean, watch smith in transition when he makes blocks. Essentially, right now offense players are looking for Josh (biggest shot blocking threat) but when you put dwight out there they are focused on dwight and smith has more freedom (like in transition right now).

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#30 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,184 posts
        • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:46 AM

Everytime i see Josh protecting the paint (and he does it well for the most part) i just get a little sad that he doesn't get to do more weakside blocking until dwight gets back. That pairing is going to be ridiculous, and if your curious about how its going to look/what i mean, watch smith in transition when he makes blocks. Essentially, right now offense players are looking for Josh (biggest shot blocking threat) but when you put dwight out there they are focused on dwight and smith has more freedom (like in transition right now).

I don't know whether we want him to be doing too much weakside blocking when paired with Dwight. Dwight does a lot of jumping for blocks, and you need your other big man to be able to get in position for the rebound. If you remember when McHale tried Asik and Howard together last season, one of the reasons it didn't work is that they would both try to go for the block/contest on shots and leave the glass completely free for someone else to sneak in and steal the board. Ideally we would avoid that happening in a Smith/Howard pairing...

ST

#31 redfaithful

redfaithful

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 211 posts
        • LocationIsrael

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:00 PM

However, the Smith/Howar pairing is more important now that Jones is no longer shooting from outside, which means the Howard/Jones pair has no one pulling defenders outside.

#32 King's Gambit Accepted

King's Gambit Accepted

Rookie

• Members
        • PipPip
        • 52 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 01:51 PM

By the way, James Harden is currently 5th in the NBA in PPS (points per shot) with a stellar 1.50 score.  He trails only Tyson Chandler, DeAndre Jordan, Kyle Korver, and Mason Plumlee.  Guess who is #6.....Dwight Howard!!!

D-Mo comes in at #58 with a score of 1.23.  He is one spot behind Zach Randolph and one spot ahead of Chandler Parsons!

Josh Smith is at 1.00 (#116)

LINK

because mxhale is forcing dmo to play to his weaknesses and harden to his strenghts...imagine how much lower hardens and anyones else pps would be if he would be forced to play out of position(ie harden to play in the post)... it decreases his productivity as well as killing his morale and confidence...

the other thing is mxchale is cooling dmo down instead of riding him when he started to get hot in the post he stopped going to him...

on the other hand how many times harden started 0-6 and mchale allowed him to play through that and  later on he  puts up almost triple double...

stats are garbage if you dont know how to interpret em

dmo is more efficient than Harden

btw its impossible that howard is more productive than dmo probably didnt couted loads of turnovers that he makes before even taking the shot...

#33 bernardo

bernardo

Rookie

• Members
          • PipPip
          • 62 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 04:55 PM

Harden is having an MVP season. Yes, sometimes I would like to see some more D-MO post-ups, but you are overblowing this. It's not that big of a problem

#34 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
            • 4,133 posts
            • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:53 PM

because mxhale is forcing dmo to play to his weaknesses and harden to his strenghts...imagine how much lower hardens and anyones else pps would be if he would be forced to play out of position(ie harden to play in the post)... it decreases his productivity as well as killing his morale and confidence...

the other thing is mxchale is cooling dmo down instead of riding him when he started to get hot in the post he stopped going to him...

on the other hand how many times harden started 0-6 and mchale allowed him to play through that and  later on he  puts up almost triple double...

btw its impossible that howard is more productive than dmo probably didnt couted loads of turnovers that he makes before even taking the shot...

I appreciate you showing me the error of my ways.  How silly of me--I'm clearly out of my depth here.  Your deft understanding of how McHale manipulates the players to suppress your boy Motie while inflating Harden's numbers is eye-opening.  You truly know your stuff.

From where I sit, I thought D-Mo's only weakness was rebounding, but you have shown me that this must be incorrect.

I would like it very much if you could show me these efficiency numbers and teach me how to properly read and apply them.  Up to now, you have only cited your own authority on the matter, but I assume you have gotten validation from other sources and I would like to understand as well as you do.

All I can find is stupid stuff like Dwight's PER (a measure of a player's efficiency that focuses on offense) is 18.1, James' is 27.1, and Motie is at 14.4.  Oh, wait....that's because McHale makes D-Mo shoot from outside (wasn't he 3-4 last night?) and as soon as he gets going in the post he likes to cool him off--probably because Morey wants to suppress his value over the next 2 seasons so we can re-sign him to a cheaper contract, right?  Once that happens we can unleash him on the league!

I have heard that increased usage rates have an inverse effect on efficiency except in the rarest of cases--like for star players who are good enough to handle that.  I think that's why so many lightly used bench players can sport high PER numbers and per36 numbers.  I noticed that D-Mo's Ortg dropped 9 points when he went from being a reserve to being the starter and that coincided with an increase in usage from 15.9% to 19.2%--which is still slightly below the 20% mark one would expect given an even 5-man split.

Meanwhile, Dwight is at 22.9 usage and James is at 31.0.  According to the splits at basketball-reference.com, Dwight's efficiency improves (on both ends of the court) as his usage rate improves.  James seems to be pretty steady either way it goes.

I saw this thing called true shooting % (I presume you already know what that is).  It seems that out of the three D-Mo's is the lowest at .560.  Dwight's is .582, and James has a .611.  Since the formula accounts for the extra value of three pointers and free throws I guess it's a wash with Dwight's putrid ft% compared to all those three pointers McHale makes D-mo shoot.  Although, according to his shot distribution chart he only shoots 17% of his shots from deep and hits them at 33.3% (doesn't that equate to 1.00 pps which is kind of the standard?)  From the sounds of it that wouldn't negatively affect his overall efficiency would it?

I know you mentioned turnovers as something I was ignorant of.  I was looking at that and saw D-Mo has a 14.7% TOV% (which is an estimate of how many turnovers a player commits per 100 possessions.  I think they use that rather than minutes or games to eliminate the skewed appearance they can have).  Dwight has a 17.9 and James has a 15.2.  Once again, it's my understanding that higher usage leads to more turnovers simply by virtue of having the ball in your hands more, plus offensive charges count as turnovers and both Dwight and James tend to garner at least one of those per game due to their aggressiveness.

Either way, Motie only sports a .5 advantage over James per 100 possessions and a 3.2 advantage over Dwight per 100 possessions.  I'm no mathematician, but that seems relatively benign--especially when factored in with all the other stats where D-Mo is lagging behind.

You probably already know this, but ESPN has this new-fangled stat they bought off a couple of internet number crunchers they call RPM.  Personally, I think it needs some refinement, but a lot of people like it.  It sets out to individualize a players' contribution on the floor from their teammates.  According to that James Harden is #2 with a score of 8.05 (second to Curry's 8.59).  Now, that score is a composite of offensive RPM and defensive RPM.

James' ORPM is actually a league-leading 7.57!  I isolated that since we are focusing on offensive efficiency.  D-Mo is next at -.36 which appears to be a below average score.  Dwight Howard comes in at -.69.  According to this, neither of them is particularly efficient on offense.  I am pretty sure free throws factor in strongly on this so that may hurt them both since they each shoot a low % on those.  I guess this could count as proof that D-Mo is more efficient than Dwight, but other Rockets including Terry, Jones, Brewer, Prigioni, and Shved (while he was here) all scored better than those guys which makes me wonder about the stat's usefulness since D-Mo is supposed to be the most efficient player on the entire team, right?

If anyone has access to Synergy's stats they include turnovers in their final scoring % which is a more accurate reflection.  Still, according to per36 comparisons and per 100 possession comparisons Dwight only turns the ball over 1-1.5 times more than D-Mo.  While that is a positive for D-Mo it is not the offensive boon you make it sound like.

Well, that's all I could find, but you probably have some better things you can show me that illustrate your point that D-Mo is our best, most efficient offensive option.  I'm not sure how one factors in double and triple teams, but I know that James and Dwight are already dealing with those issues--how do you think D-Mo will fair when opposing teams start to game plan for him and double team him in the post?  Ah, McHale will probably just bench him in favor of Josh Smith so Harden can get the ball back and do his thing.

Oh, and I ignored your last statement about it being impossible for Dwight to be more productive than D-Mo.  I assume you meant efficient since Dwight is more productive than D-Mo across the board.

#35 YaoMan

YaoMan

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 170 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:59 PM

I don't know whether we want him to be doing too much weakside blocking when paired with Dwight. Dwight does a lot of jumping for blocks, and you need your other big man to be able to get in position for the rebound. If you remember when McHale tried Asik and Howard together last season, one of the reasons it didn't work is that they would both try to go for the block/contest on shots and leave the glass completely free for someone else to sneak in and steal the board. Ideally we would avoid that happening in a Smith/Howard pairing...

ST

Agreed. I would think that having 2 shot blockers (and TJ now asserting himself into that conversation) would mean that the weakside defender doesn't have to cheat as much and could body out more for the rebound.  Weak side defense is more helpful when a wing penetrates the paint and a weak side defender slides over to contest or block the shot.  At which point, the strong side post defender covers the open post man, whether that be his own man or the weak side man...

#36 YaoMan

YaoMan

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 170 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:24 PM

this is circumstantial evidence... hes like that cow that gives a lot of milk then  hits the can with her leg and spills it all over the floor....hes bonneheaded player and doesnt play within himself...when his hot shooting streak is over hell be mostly negative influence....

The numbers don't agree with your assessment, however.

In the month of February, as Smith is getting more and more accustomed to playing in this team, his numbers are have improved across the board, including ppg, shooting%, 3 pt shooting %, rebounds, blocks, assists, steals. He has double digit scoring in 6 of those 9 games shooting better than 45%. Only 2 games has Josh had bad shooting nights (vs Clips 2/25 and the bulls in early Feb) did you shoot very poorly but Rox won both those games. He had 9 or more boards in 4 of those games 9 games - his assists and rebounds are up 2 each. And oh circumstantial? He's blocked a shot in all but one game in Feb. Nearly had a triple double vs Bucks.

Yes he has the occasional bonehead shot or play. But he's being extremely productive and contributing all around.

#37 marbony81110

marbony81110

Rookie

• Members
                • PipPip
                • 71 posts
                • LocationGermany

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:33 PM

So I just got caught up on this forum and I have to say that I have no idea what basketball games King's Gambit Accepted is watching. I think D.Mo has a done a good job, but to put him the conversation with Harden and Howard is a little misguided to say the least. I think thejohnnygold has already pointed out the error in your extremely twisted perception of a very much improved D.Mo, but nowhere in the same league as Harden. It's like comparing Lebron to Udonis Haslem...there is no comparison.

#38 FEntropy

FEntropy

• Members
                • Pip
                • 11 posts
                • LocationReno, NV

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:16 PM

I'm slightly confused by the debate being had in this thread... How is it even a debate? I know this is the Mavericks thread, but if you watched the Clippers game last night you would see how important Smith was to that win. DJ was in Dmo's head almost from the beginning. As skilled as Dmo is, when battling big centers he is completely outclassed. His skill set just doesn't match. I actually found myself wishing Chuck Hayes was back for a minute or two. Then Smith checked in, and his attitude kind of shut DJ down in the fourth quarter. I remember Rahat writing a while ago about this team being a little bit soft. They don't have someone that will push back when things get heated. Dmo is great, but Smith brought the proverbial fire last night, I would almost argue that his presence on the court is what won the game last night. 

#39 YaoMan

YaoMan

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 170 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:39 PM

I'm slightly confused by the debate being had in this thread... How is it even a debate? I know this is the Mavericks thread, but if you watched the Clippers game last night you would see how important Smith was to that win. DJ was in Dmo's head almost from the beginning. As skilled as Dmo is, when battling big centers he is completely outclassed. His skill set just doesn't match. I actually found myself wishing Chuck Hayes was back for a minute or two. Then Smith checked in, and his attitude kind of shut DJ down in the fourth quarter. I remember Rahat writing a while ago about this team being a little bit soft. They don't have someone that will push back when things get heated. Dmo is great, but Smith brought the proverbial fire last night, I would almost argue that his presence on the court is what won the game last night. 

I thought D-Mo held this own with scoring and boards last night. Where he had trouble was the pick and roll defense where he didn't know if he should help or stay put with DJ.  3 time, when CP3 curled around Terry, D-Mo got caught in no man's land by taking a step in CP3's direction and leaving space for DJ for alley oops. They changed the defensive strategy in the second half by putting Ariza on CP3 and then switching their bigs onto Paul to disrupt the passing lanes. But yeah J Smoove definitely played an instrumental part of the win albeit not with his shooting last night!

#40 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 475 posts
                  • LocationHouston

Posted 27 February 2015 - 01:39 AM

ST

good point ST. Very true that was a weakness of Asik/Howard and something we'll need to watch out for I hadn't been considering.

Herb Rudoy is that you????

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users