Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.

Photo

The Houston Rockets should roll the dice on a potential Goran Dragic rental

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,130 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:52 PM

Hmmm, seems that dude who calls himself Morey knew better than throw valuable assets for underperforming Point Guards like Goran Dragic, Reggie Jackson, Brandon Knight, Isaah Canaan, et al.

Unbelievable that serious contributors to this board were willing to trade away T Jones, Motiejunas, Patrick Beverley, Jason Terry and et al for what?

Ooops, I forgot about that first round draft pick later this year for trading Asik to New Orleans. Defintely gonna be a lottery pick, probably towards the bottom of the top 14, still..........

No belief that Morey can't turn that lottery pick into something else between now and the NBA Draft this summer?

OK, so I just love going to the Rockets home games knowing that there are a number of unbelievers on this board that simply will not be swayed.....

3465828-6895994901-frabz.jpg

To which I imagine you would reply:

783ae2c8808c3e530fc6bed5361792ea.jpg

Wait a minute.....

#22 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 05:03 AM

I think Morey eats the Bacon Blue Asigo from Wendy's.

#23 clydesmoustache

clydesmoustache

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 144 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:47 PM

Hmmm, seems that dude who calls himself Morey knew better than throw valuable assets for underperforming Point Guards like Goran Dragic, Reggie Jackson, Brandon Knight, Isaah Canaan, et al.

Unbelievable that serious contributors to this board were willing to trade away T Jones, Motiejunas, Patrick Beverley, Jason Terry and et al for what?

Ooops, I forgot about that first round draft pick later this year for trading Asik to New Orleans. Defintely gonna be a lottery pick, probably towards the bottom of the top 14, still..........

No belief that Morey can't turn that lottery pick into something else between now and the NBA Draft this summer?

OK, so I just love going to the Rockets home games knowing that there are a number of unbelievers on this board that simply will not be swayed.....

I am happy to eat a bit of humble pie on this one especially if the Rockets keep winning. I was thinking Dragic and losing Jones might not be the end of the world as Smith does a lot that TJones does. That was until Dragic didn't want us then I lost interest. I still can not believe how well Jones and Smith play together. It makes very little sense to me. I know Greg Monroe is quite a different type of player but why is the two power forward thing working for us when it was a disaster for Detroit.

#24 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,130 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:19 PM

I think Morey eats the Bacon Blue Asigo from Wendy's.

"Blue Cheese!?!?!  What, you think you're better than me?!?!"

I tried to find a .gif for that in the first post, but failed  :(

@Clydesmoustache--I don't think there is any one thing that is responsible, but if I were to guess at the biggest factors I would say coaching, skill sets, roles, and surrounding talent.

#25 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,865 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:27 PM

I am happy to eat a bit of humble pie on this one especially if the Rockets keep winning. I was thinking Dragic and losing Jones might not be the end of the world as Smith does a lot that TJones does. That was until Dragic didn't want us then I lost interest. I still can not believe how well Jones and Smith play together. It makes very little sense to me. I know Greg Monroe is quite a different type of player but why is the two power forward thing working for us when it was a disaster for Detroit.

See, there are some reasonable people willing to re-think the trade deadline 10 days later.

To answer the question as to why the 2 power forward things working better for the Rockets now while it was a disaster in Detroit, my opinion is that you can't really compare apples to oranges. Detroit was requiring Josh Smith to play SF minutes while on the court with Drummond and Greg Monroe. I can't remember where I read it, perhaps over at DreamShake, but there was excellent analysis there pointing out Josh Smith has played a grand total of 0 minutes at SF since arriving to Houston. Due to D12's injury, Josh has actually played some minutes at the 5.

OK, so think about this for a minute, what if the Rockets had traded away one of Motiejunas and T Jones as part of the deal to bring Dragic back to Houston? Wouldn't that have severely weakened Houston's frontcourt for the remainder of this season with the uncertainty of D12's injury and the unknown of how much longer he will be out? And who knows if D12 will be back to 100% until after the season and playoffs? And further, with the uncertainty of whether Josh Smith will be back with the Rockets next season, by trading a valuable frontcourt player for Dragic, the repurcussions could have even been greater next season with only D12 and one of Motiejunas and Terrance Jones returning.

Did anybody notice how many minutes Dorsey played in the Cleveland game? 0.

I believe the Rockets frontcourt rotation of D12 (when healthy), Motiejunas, T Jones and Josh Smith is as good as any in the league. Certainly the combos of Blake Griffin and D Jordan, Marc Gasol and Zack Randolph, Pau Gasol and J Noah, Aldridge and Lopez and others I am sure I missed, are no doubt "better" or "as good as" than the Rockets. However, none of those teams can go 4-deep with their frontcourt with as much consistency and production than the Rockets in my opinion.

Finally, why gamble by trading for Dragic who made it quite clear that he only wanted to play for Miami, Knicks or Lakers going forward? Dragic was clearly unhappy in Phoenix this season playing off the ball, in fact playing some minutes at SF. Think about that for a second, Dragic playing SF when he is at his best with the ball in his hands? The Rockets don't need a ball dominant PG playing alongside James Harden, that is just a disaster waiting to happen. And to trade away one of our young frontcourt players and the lottery pick (assuming New Orleans misses the playoffs this season), for likely a 3-month rental of a player like Dragic that is just not suited for our team makes absolutely no sense.

I understand the desire to "go for it, push all your chips and win a title now". Or at least, give our team the best opportunity to succeed. It made total sense for Morey to gamble and let Parsons test free agency last summer knowing there was a solid chance one of Bosh or Carmelo could join the Rockets in free agency then the Rockets could have matched any offer, no matter how ridiculous, to have the core of Harden, D12, Bosh/Carmelo and Parsons.

In my opinion, just totally the opposite with trading for Dragic and hoping somehow to re-sign him.

Edited by rocketrick, 02 March 2015 - 10:30 PM.

#26 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 2,008 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:47 PM

It wasn't that Monroe and Smith didn't work, it was Monroe Drummond and Smith didn't work. Smith was having to play the three. I think the Rockets could go big with either Howard/D-Mo, Smith and Jones on the court together, because Jones would be the 3 in those instances.

#27 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,865 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 12:13 AM

That's correct, Mr. Steven. The only time Josh Smith would have played SF for the Pistons would have been while on the court simultaneously with Drummond and Monroe. Similar situation for Josh Smith while in Atlanta, too.

Josh Smith is much clearly better suited at the 4 and at times can play some minutes at the 5, which is why he has transitioned into becoming a more efficient player after arriving to Houston.

#28 clydesmoustache

clydesmoustache

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 144 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:18 AM

It wasn't that Monroe and Smith didn't work, it was Monroe Drummond and Smith didn't work. Smith was having to play the three. I think the Rockets could go big with either Howard/D-Mo, Smith and Jones on the court together, because Jones would be the 3 in those instances.

Thanks JG,steven and rocketrick!I am guessing as tjones can play sf he is quicker than smith or is he a superior ball handler? As they are the same height.

#29 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
              • 4,130 posts
              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 March 2015 - 03:16 PM

I would say it is based off of their defensive specialties.  For whatever reason, Jones excels in perimeter defense and Smith excels in post defense.  Jones has the edge in quickness, but against most other PF's Josh is plenty quick.  Both are solid dribbling the ball.  I'd give Jones the edge in ball-handling, but Smith the edge in passing.

#30 clydesmoustache

clydesmoustache

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 144 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 02:31 AM

I would say it is based off of their defensive specialties. For whatever reason, Jones excels in perimeter defense and Smith excels in post defense. Jones has the edge in quickness, but against most other PF's Josh is plenty quick. Both are solid dribbling the ball. I'd give Jones the edge in ball-handling, but Smith the edge in passing.

I would love to watch them going at it during practice. Even if we lose smith next year his impact on jones on the defensive end has to be valuable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users