Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Season Over...Next up the draft!

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#41 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:29 AM

The Rockets aren't trading for Amare.
    They had their chances to get him in the past and they opted not to.
    Now he has a cap-killing contract,a bad back and legs that are done. I have a co-worker who's a Knicks fan so I've been watching quite a few of their games on LP. Amare is now just a statue on defense and really struggles to just dunk the ball,even w/a running start-think McGrady in those first few games back before he was shut down for a trade.

Interesting straws in the wind from Feigen's article on end of season.
    First Les trying to find positives said:
    “Chandler Parsons was a great surprise,” Alexander said. “He knows how to play. He cares. I think Marcus Morris is coming on. The other day in practice, he hit 32 of 33 3s. He looks like a good, big three. The kid we have in Europe, (Donatas) Motiejunas, he’s 6-11, and he’s ripping up Europe. We’re going to have obviously two first-round picks. We have a lot of young guys to look forward to.”
    The implication is that there were players who didn't care(see McHale's quote later) and that they intend to use the picks.
    And that may be the PR campaign for next yr,watch the young guys grow into something special.

McHale when asked about what needed to be done to fix the Rockets said "We'll handle all that in the summer."
    My translation,Dalembert,Martin are gone and Bud's on thin ice.

#42 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
    • 1,547 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:11 AM

Agreed. Zero chance on Amare.

#43 majik19

majik19

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 277 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:44 AM

I'm still leaning toward Austin Rivers. Chad Ford says about him (need Insider for the link)

http://insider.espn....r-top-prospects

Austin Rivers

The prosecution: Rivers is living off the hype he created in high school. He thinks he's Kobe Bryant, but lacks the explosive athletic ability that gives Bryant an edge. He struggles to contribute if the ball isn't in his hands. His cocky attitude won't play nearly as well at the next level.

The defense: Rivers can score as well as anyone in the draft. He's got a killer crossover, a quick first step and a very solid perimeter game. He needs refinement, but once he gets it, he could be one of the top scorers in the draft.

The verdict: All over the place. Some teams like him in the 6-to-10 range. Others in the 20-30 range. No kidding. Teams seem to love him or hate him. Workouts against the top talent in the draft could seal the deal either way for him.

So he's really boom or bust, but we desperately need a guy that Ford describes in "the defense." However, he could have too much Terence Williams attitude in him... and we saw how well that went. But Rivers will probably be in range... and he might be a crunch time scorer.

#44 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 4,125 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:05 AM

I'm still leaning toward Austin Rivers. Chad Ford says about him (need Insider for the link)

http://insider.espn....r-top-prospects

Austin Rivers
        The prosecution: Rivers is living off the hype he created in high school. He thinks he's Kobe Bryant, but lacks the explosive athletic ability that gives Bryant an edge. He struggles to contribute if the ball isn't in his hands. His cocky attitude won't play nearly as well at the next level.
        The defense: Rivers can score as well as anyone in the draft. He's got a killer crossover, a quick first step and a very solid perimeter game. He needs refinement, but once he gets it, he could be one of the top scorers in the draft.
        The verdict: All over the place. Some teams like him in the 6-to-10 range. Others in the 20-30 range. No kidding. Teams seem to love him or hate him. Workouts against the top talent in the draft could seal the deal either way for him.

So he's really boom or bust, but we desperately need a guy that Ford describes in "the defense." However, he could have too much Terence Williams attitude in him... and we saw how well that went. But Rivers will probably be in range... and he might be a crunch time scorer.

I wouldn't touch rivers. over hyped. besides we need big men not another wing player who can't crack the rotation.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#45 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
        • 2,308 posts
        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:06 AM

I disagree with you comment that Bosh would cost us more than we can part with as well, Miami has a lot of holes after their starters and pretty much anyone we sent to them could either be plugged in and be an upgrade, or packaged together with a third team to bring them back something they could use more.

Sorry blakecouey, what I wrote was a mess and didn't make sense in that one sentence you quoted. I think I had gone and edited and made it worse. Anyroad, what I meant was that I think Miami could probably get better deals than what the Rockets could offer for Bosh and furthermore for some reason I think Morey is finished with trying to get him in a Rockets jersey.

Anyone here big on Myers Leonard (7 footer) or Arnett Moultrie (6-11)?
        How sweet it is!

#46 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 437 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:58 AM

Rivers would be a terrible pick for the Rockets. He thinks he's better than he is and he's a PG. We definitely do not need a PG. Even if we did I wouldn't take him. He took absolutely terrible shots at Duke. And the problem is he made some of them which then gave him confidence that it was a good shot. I worry about a guy whose dad is a coach and played for coach K and still doesn't know what is a good and what is a bad shot.

#47 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
          • 1,567 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:34 AM

Definitely right on Rivers, if he cant comprehend what is a good shot and what is a bad shot with a father who coaches and playing(even though only a year) behind coach k, he wont ever be able to. The kid couldve used another couple years in college but I'm sure someone will take the risk.

#48 afaut

afaut

• Members
            • Pip
            • 5 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:46 PM

definitely no on rivers. lamb maybe.

i really want moultrie or zeller or henson. stack up on bigs.

#49 majik19

majik19

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 277 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:05 PM

I feel like our biggest need is a go to scorer more than anything.

Our biggest problem this year was those third quarter stretches where we wouldn't score for 6 minutes and it would have an effect on defense. This is somewhere that a guy like Rivers could help - someone who can actually create his own shot. He could also be huge in the 4th quarter when defenses tighten up (another area the Rockets struggled).

I agree that he is overhyped, but we're not talking a top 10 pick here - we're talking 13th or 14th. He could crack the guard rotation - we're kidding ourselves if we think we're going to have Lowry, Dragic, Lee, and Martin next year. And if we do, we're not going to be any better tan the 9th best team in the West.

We need a dynamic scorer. Lowry is not that. Dragic is not that. Lee is not that. Parsons and Bud are not that, maybe Morris could be, and Martin is sometimes, but with the rule changes and his dropoff this year, he's not any more. Not to mention he was never a clutch scorer because he needs to draw fouls.

#50 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
                • 1,567 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:33 PM

Our problem in the 3rd quarter wasn't that we were'nt getting shots, it was that we were missing them because we took bad ones/too many 3s and not getting the rebound, as well as the whole never getting to the free throw line. A big helps the situation because he will likely be able to grab some of our missed rebounds and give us another chance at it. I agree that we need another scorer, but an unproven rookie a year out of high school that has the same kind of problem we already had(taking bad shots at times) isn't going to help us much. Were best off finding a big in the draft and finding a scorer in FA/trades, there are plenty out there that will be available.

#51 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 4,125 posts
                  • Locationhouston

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:10 AM

majik19:
                  which would you rather have rivers or mayo? a rookie as your scorer or an establish vet? use those draft picks on bigs.I agree with you in that we don't have a go to scorer, but that is a minor problem. our major problem is WE ARE GETTING KILLED IS THE PAINT.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#52 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 338 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:33 AM

My current ideal Draft day would have Rockets getting Leonard and Terrence Ross.
                    Leonard is a 7' who plays like a C. Rebounds well,blocks shots,shoots 70%+ from FT line,needs work on low-post play(if only we had a coach who would teach a big low-post moves,oh wait) and needs a little more focus.(Moultrie who has a lot of support was pitiful at blocking shots,not a good sign for what the Rockets need.)
                    Ross is a tall SG who has become a strong defender,good shooter,likes to set up in corner(hmmm,isn't that something the Rockets like),decent passer,needs work on his handle but active cutting towards basket. Give him and Morris a penetrating,pass first PG and that's a potential very good second unit w/Ross being the "defender" on the perimeter.

Wouldn't be surprised if Rockets draft Damian Lillard,a SG trapped in PG body. Has two qualities Morey has drafted in the past,he's college experienced being a Junior and gets to the line a lot where he knocks them down. He's a player I can see Morey drafting and then sending to RGV to hone his PG traits while a vet PG backs up whoever stays between Lowry and Dragic.

#53 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 437 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:33 AM

Scorer are the easiest thing to find. Remember when Von Vafer came in and was scoring a bunch?

#54 majik19

majik19

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 277 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:38 PM

If scorers are the easiest thing to find, then why don't we have a guy who can create his own shot?

#55 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 437 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:10 AM

Kevin Martin was that guy. He got injured. And the Rockets focus more on all around players than just scorers. There are guys all over the place who can get buckets if that's all you want in a guy.

#56 areteejay789

areteejay789

Rookie

• Members
                          • PipPip
                          • 82 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:13 AM

Kevin Martin was that guy. He got injured. And the Rockets focus more on all around players than just scorers. There are guys all over the place who can get buckets if that's all you want in a guy.

I agree, see: Von wafer, Gerald green, brandan wright, every warriors bench player in the last 3 years.

#57 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                            • 2,308 posts
                            • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:38 PM

totally agree with the fact posted by a few posters above that we have had a bigs problem, between both points in the paint surrendered and second chance points a stable of bigs would go a long way to turning those situations around, it was easy to see what difference Camby made now if we can get a couple more guys in a similiar mold (high motor 7 footer) I believe things could turn around quickly...
                            How sweet it is!

#58 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
                            • PipPipPipPip
                            • 548 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:11 PM

totally agree with the fact posted by a few posters above that we have had a bigs problem, between both points in the paint surrendered and second chance points a stable of bigs would go a long way to turning those situations around, it was easy to see what difference Camby made now if we can get a couple more guys in a similiar mold (high motor 7 footer) I believe things could turn around quickly...

Meyers Leonard is that guy in the draft, IMO. 7 footer with a nice motor, and a good understanding of the game, coming out of college after his sophomore year. If he's available, and he should be, I wouldn't want to watch that guy slip by us. If we can then make a deal for a veteran wing scorer, like Danny Granger, I think it could be a path to some success. Barring any miracle deals for DW, of course. Leaves us with a roster like:

PG: Lowry(or Dragic)/ FA PG
                              SG: Lee/Bud
                              SF: Granger/Parsons/Morris(?)
                              PF: Scola/Motie/Patterson(?)
                              C: Camby/Leonard

With the addition of Motie and Leonard we would be small no more. I realize they would be somewhat raw, but their size, energy and youth can make up for some shortcomings until they get adjusted.

#59 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                              • 1,547 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

What are the knocks on Leonard that would have him available at 14? (ie: 7 footers that can walk and chew gum at the same time are usually always gobbled up early.)

#60 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
                                • PipPipPipPip
                                • 548 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:03 PM

What are the knocks on Leonard that would have him available at 14? (ie: 7 footers that can walk and chew gum at the same time are usually always gobbled up early.)

Just goin by what I see here: http://nbadraft.net/2012mock_draft Click on his name and you can read his weaknesses, which are easily fixable with a contract and NBA coach. They have Zeller going before Leonard, but personally, due to Zeller going 4 years NCAA, versus Leonard only 2, with their production similar, I'd say Leonards ceiling was higher. In my highlight post on page 2 of this thread you can compare the differences. Zeller success, IMO came from the benefits of being a 6'11' guy who is the third option on a super team. Leonard being the #1 option of a lesser team had to work for everything he got, and those clips show it. I love his passing skills and ability to operate from the elbow, which with my roster posted above, the slashing backcourt and wings, will superbly complement.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users