Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Season Over...Next up the draft!

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#21 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:03 PM

Stephen - I see your point and I agree with you. But then why sign Dalembert this year? What makes us think they'll change their thinking going into next season when they had the same chance this year?

#22 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 548 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:52 PM

Put me on the draft a young center bandwagon. I think we can avoid "projects" if our earliest pick is for this and we were to snag Zeller or Leonard.

I'd probably prefer Leonard over the two. Watching these clips, his game seems more polished, his box-outs, high post positioning, sweet jump hook and nice jumper. He was only a sophomore last season and was the marquis player on his team. Stopping Leonard was the opposition's defensive plan. This guy's ceiling is high.

Zeller, on the other hand, was 3rd option on his team and will probably go 3rd in the draft from his team, which leads me to believe that some of his stats are elevated because of the opposition keying on the other threats, leaving him with more opportunity to shine. I don't like in the clip above that he's not physically authoritative around the rim, settling for layups when he should be slammin it home.

#23 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 338 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:38 AM

Rahat,
        They signed Dalembert because their Cs at the start of the season were Hill and Thabeet. With Patterson iffy,the team was looking at having to depend on Thabeet-something McHale abhored so much he didn't even suit up Thabeet for the first game of the season against Dwight and the Magic!
        They also thought Dalembert could be a serviceable C and they got him relatively cheap.

Should the Rockets draft a C,(my preference is also Leonard,and we know Morey went to at least one game of his,so they were interested),the Rocket bigs would probably shake out as Camby,Motie,Draftee,Smith as 6th big for emergencies and likely stashed in RGV as Cs and Scola,Patterson and Motie as the PFs.
        Assuming the Rockets keep their two picks,I'd also like to see Terrence Ross drafted. Tallish SG who is good on D,very good on jump shots. He likely won't be a star,but a solid rotation player. In other words he could be Lee's replacement as the second SG.
        The team would then sign a vet FA PG.(It would be rather amusing if the team re-signed Goran Dragic and signed Beno Udrih to be his back up.)
        This would be a sort of worst case for the off-season. Nothing but cap space and Firsts for Martin and Lowry.
        It would be the team of the last third of season w/Motie replacing Dalembert and actually having back-ups for Lee and Dragic and a young C being developed.
        In reality I expect the Rockets will make a splashy trade,for several reasons,PR being one. Perhaps revisiting the Scola/Gasol trade,or my dark horse,Martin to Indy for Granger. Iguodala has supposedly talked his way out of Philly,but I don't think the team needs a terrific do everything well,but nothing great player for $14mil+.

#24 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
        • 1,547 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:48 AM

Stephen:

As for the prospects, I'll have to defer to your take there as I'm not familiar with any of these guys.

Interesting opinion though with regard to making a move for PR reasons - I actually agree. They simply cannot stand pat or it will be a complete nightmare with the public. Even if Morey doesn't necessarily think the deal will be beneficial (ie: Iggy), they'll do something just to shake it up.

#25 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 4,125 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:11 AM

Stephen:

As for the prospects, I'll have to defer to your take there as I'm not familiar with any of these guys.

Interesting opinion though with regard to making a move for PR reasons - I actually agree. They simply cannot stand pat or it will be a complete nightmare with the public. Even if Morey doesn't necessarily think the deal will be beneficial (ie: Iggy), they'll do something just to shake it up.

I agree also on the PR move. as far as the two prospects, I started out liking zeller better but the more I see of leonard i'm changing my mind. this kid is impressive.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#26 ChinaConor

ChinaConor

• Members
          • Pip
          • 33 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:11 AM

I realize Dalembert was awful at the end of the season, but do you really think that he wouldn't have value to another team? According to Hollinger's PER, he was the 20th best center. By value added he was 15th. He was better than the average player and average for his position. His contract is for 6 or 6.5 million. It's only one year. Last year Kwame Brown got 7 million. He might not have a future in Houston, but wouldn't a team be willing to give up a 2nd round pick for him?

As for moving up, Morely should be calling Sacramento as soon as the lottery happens. They badly need a point guard and leadership to go with Cousins, Evans and Thorton. They don't need a player who might be good in a few years. Perhaps Lowry, Patterson and Chandler would be enough for the 5th pick and Salmons. Sacramento adds three players who work hard, share the ball and defend. They would also save money and that's priority #1 up there.

I would be surprised if Washington deals their pick. They may have a lot of young players, but most are role players. Even Wall isn't one of the best 10 players at his position. Only Vesley and Wall were picked in the top ten and they need another high ceiling player. They should be staying.

#27 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
            • 1,547 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:30 PM

Sacramento seems to be the logical target but I wonder how high they are on Isiah Thomas.

#28 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
              • 1,567 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:37 PM

So many possibilities.. the best option in my opinion would be to package our firsts and move up. I agree that sacremento is probably the best shot we've got to do that. I wouldn't mind trading for iggy, he's still got skills, but id rather go for Eric Gordon in fa, I don't agree with going after deron Williams as I don't think he gives us enough of a boost, other than star power and possibility of drawing in another all star(doubtful).
                Anyways back to the draft. If we can't have a top two, avoid the draft. We have enough young mediocre talent as it is, adding more won't make us contenders.
                It pains me to say it because I don't like the guy personally, but grab garnett in fa to a short term deal, he's got value as a champion and can still effectively play the 4/5. Hes been playing few enough mins the last couple years he knows he is destined for a role player gig.
                Just my thoughts, flawed or not.

#29 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                • 1,547 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:47 PM

It pains me to say it because I don't like the guy personally, but grab garnett in fa to a short term deal, he's got value as a champion and can still effectively play the 4/5. Hes been playing few enough mins the last couple years he knows he is destined for a role player gig.
                  Just my thoughts, flawed or not.

Barring some unexpected trades beforehand, can't see KG wanting to waste his his last year here.

#30 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
                  • 1,567 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:49 PM

You're probably right, but he has to be an option we entertain and I'm a firm believer that an unexpected trade WILL happen beforehand. Morey has done a decent job with what he's had, and we've got the cap space to work any fa deal and enough assets to make any trade work if we find the right player/team to work with.

#31 afaut

afaut

• Members
                    • Pip
                    • 5 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:57 PM

I realize Dalembert was awful at the end of the season, but do you really think that he wouldn't have value to another team? According to Hollinger's PER, he was the 20th best center. By value added he was 15th. He was better than the average player and average for his position. His contract is for 6 or 6.5 million. It's only one year. Last year Kwame Brown got 7 million. He might not have a future in Houston, but wouldn't a team be willing to give up a 2nd round pick for him?

As for moving up, Morely should be calling Sacramento as soon as the lottery happens. They badly need a point guard and leadership to go with Cousins, Evans and Thorton. They don't need a player who might be good in a few years. Perhaps Lowry, Patterson and Chandler would be enough for the 5th pick and Salmons. Sacramento adds three players who work hard, share the ball and defend. They would also save money and that's priority #1 up there.

I would be surprised if Washington deals their pick. They may have a lot of young players, but most are role players. Even Wall isn't one of the best 10 players at his position. Only Vesley and Wall were picked in the top ten and they need another high ceiling player. They should be staying.

I think you're right about dally, you aren't gonna get better value for 6.7mil at that position realistically (if anything he's a good trade piece). his WP/48 is pretty high too, though not like Camby.

draft wise, even if we stay put and don't swing for the fences as many want to, I think having more trade assets is a necessity. I really want James Harden before next offseason, and he's on his tiny rookie contract. So having good rookies with small contracts would help trade for him.

resign camby + dragic (let lee walk)

iggy for sure though. kmart + ppatt for him. I think if philly gets swept, they do this deal to cut salary next summer, cause they have brands contract coming off as well. Plus I think they like Evan Turner and Thaddeus Young enough that they wouldn't take a huge step back.

bosh for lowry + scola + dally + future dallas pick.

draft zeller/moultrie/leonard + wroten + buy a 2nd round pick to get Will Barton

bring over motie

dragic/wroten
                      iggy/barton
                      parsons/bud/morris
                      bosh/motie
                      camby/(zel|mou|leo)

#32 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
                      • 1,567 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:22 PM

That's a lot of moves wow. Biggest flaw I see with it is I don't think Miami deals Bosh unless they're out early in the playoffs, which I doubt.
                        One other player for the SG position I think is notable and could help is OJ Mayo. Id rather not see Lee leave, but I don't think he'd be happy with a sixth man role at this point.
                        Prior to this season id have thought there was a chance, but two ejections later I doubt it, but i wish we have the piece to trade for Bynum, I don't see anything the Lakers would want from us for him though. Team has an option for him this year but I'm sure they'll pick it up.

#33 afaut

afaut

• Members
                        • Pip
                        • 5 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:14 PM

That's a lot of moves wow. Biggest flaw I see with it is I don't think Miami deals Bosh unless they're out early in the playoffs, which I doubt.
                          One other player for the SG position I think is notable and could help is OJ Mayo. Id rather not see Lee leave, but I don't think he'd be happy with a sixth man role at this point.
                          Prior to this season id have thought there was a chance, but two ejections later I doubt it, but i wish we have the piece to trade for Bynum, I don't see anything the Lakers would want from us for him though. Team has an option for him this year but I'm sure they'll pick it up.

I don't think Miami will be getting to the finals this year, and I do think they are disappointed in Bosh. He can't perform with two alpha males in front of him. There have been plenty of rumors of that. They are getting 16/4 out of a max guy. Lowry/scola/dally fills out their starting 5. I think it's possible

#34 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                          • 1,547 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:40 PM

I don't think Miami will be getting to the finals this year, and I do think they are disappointed in Bosh. He can't perform with two alpha males in front of him. There have been plenty of rumors of that. They are getting 16/4 out of a max guy. Lowry/scola/dally fills out their starting 5. I think it's possible

We'll have to see how he does in the postseason. He played very well for them in the Finals. While Lowry is a nice piece, I don't think they'd be interested in breaking up that long-term core for an aging Scola and Dalembert. I think they could fetch far better offers for Bosh, in my opinion.

#35 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                            • 2,308 posts
                            • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:19 PM

I like Myers Leonard and Arnett Moultrie. Leonard seems like an all around solid 7 footer that will progress in the NBA. Moultrie looks to have a good motor combined with a good ceiling. I would like to see what McHale could do with some big line ups. I wouldn't mind finally having a stable of big guys like Camby, Motiejunas, Smith and maybe Leonard and/or Moultrie.
                            How sweet it is!

#36 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                            • 1,547 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

I would like to see what McHale could do with some big line ups.

I personally would like to see what he could do actually playing a center in the 4th quarter...

#37 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                              • 2,308 posts
                              • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:29 PM

Agreed, I guess 4th quarters look to be very different next year with a rested/healthyCamby and one or two 6-11/7-footers with young legs...
                              How sweet it is!

#38 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
                              • 1,567 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

I agree Bosh isn't performing to the level of his contract, but they knew he wouldn't going in. Of the three he is the least talented by far, but I don't see them jumping ship just yet, they've still got a solid chance to win it all, especially if Rose is out. I think the Rockets stand a better chance of trading for Amare. The pairing of Amare and Melo has had a season and a half and still isn't working well enough to justify it. The Knicks will be out in the first round and should shop Amare immediately, in my opinion Melo is more valuable and a better centerpiece to build around for them. We could package the same type deal for him as has been listed on the Howard/williams post, maybe giving up even less. And the best thing is, Amare can play the 4/5 solidly much better than Scola, for when McHale wants to go small in the fourth.

#39 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                                • 2,308 posts
                                • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:29 PM

I am pretty sure we are not going to trade for Bosh or Stoudemire. Bosh could bring much more than what the Rockets would part with and the Knicks ain't trading Stoudemire away. Him and Melo won't have problems co-existing it's actually a Chandler Stoudemire problem Woodson has on his hands. Stoudemire scores at a much higher rate when he is the primary pick setter and center which is what Chandler has been doing most of the year.

Hell, as far as pipedreams go I'd much rather imagine how we could get Aldridge here.

Anyway, those 2 are going to be 30 or so by the end of next season and though Bosh seems durable I am thinking if we were to wade through the options regarding trades for big men then guys in their mid to late 20's might be abit better. Bigs like Jefferson, Gortat and Pekovic seem efficient and attaining them seems possible in the next year.

I am not certain that the big time star we need will be a big, though it could be.
                                How sweet it is!

#40 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
                                • 1,567 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:02 PM

I am pretty sure we are not going to trade for Bosh or Stoudemire. Bosh could bring much more than what the Rockets would part with and the Knicks ain't trading Stoudemire away. Him and Melo won't have problems co-existing it's actually a Chandler Stoudemire problem Woodson has on his hands. Stoudemire scores at a much higher rate when he is the primary pick setter and center which is what Chandler has been doing most of the year.

So the end of last year when Melo came over and played with Amare they didnt have issues? They went 14-14 after Melo joined last year, I understand it was new and they need time to adjust, but after this year only 4 games over .500. That is less than impressive for a roster with paper stats as good as they are. You can blame part of Amare's problem being Chandler, but that isnt the only issue on that team. So what you have in NY is 3 players, all of which have large contracts(2max, TC @13m) and a team destined for the same mediocrity as our Rockets. The easiest way for them to get into contention would be to drop one of the three, and I still say it wont be Melo, but I dont think Chandler will bring enough trade assets to dramatically change their team.

I disagree with you comment that Bosh would cost us more than we can part with as well, Miami has a lot of holes after their starters and pretty much anyone we sent to them could either be plugged in and be an upgrade, or packaged together with a third team to bring them back something they could use more.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users