Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Season Over...Next up the draft!

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 pharmag

pharmag

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:47 PM

Well with the loss last night, the season is more or less over. Due to tiebreakers, the Rockets are now 3 1/2 games back from Denver, meaning Denver would have to lose out and the Rockets would have to win out. Furthermore, they are 2 games back from Phoenix and Utah, which in essences means the Rockets have to win out and BOTH Utah and Phoenix can win no more than 1 game (or they BOTH have to lose out in which case the Rockets can drop 1 more game).

Given the unlikelihood of any of these situations, I thought we could all start talking about the draft. There has been some draft talk in a couple of the other threads, but a consolidation of talk is in need. I will be the first to say I have little direct knowledge of this year's draft class (behind what the talking heads spout). Due to my college team's general ineptitude this past season, I lost interest by January (A&M for those who are wondering). I am hoping to start watching some game film of some of these guys and will try to provide some input, but what does everyone else think?

What does this team need? Who could potentially fill that need from the draft? What might it cost to get him? We will most likely have the 13th and the 16th or 17th pick. Do we try to trade up? Draft what's available? Let's see if we can get a good conversation going.

#2 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,125 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

rockets top priority should be to move up in this draft. outside of howard or gasol I don't see to many other players I would like the rockets to pursue. I don't believe in taking another teams problems. continue to build from the draft. even though our chances are low I got my fingers crossed already hoping we can win the lottery and draft davis.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#3 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
    • 1,547 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:53 PM

you all will have to carry this discussion as, aside from the title game, I haven't watched a second of college ball this year. Maybe we can highlight certain potential picks in here with youtube footage? Not sure.

#4 pharmag

pharmag

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 263 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:48 PM

you all will have to carry this discussion as, aside from the title game, I haven't watched a second of college ball this year. Maybe we can highlight certain potential picks in here with youtube footage? Not sure.

That's kinda what I was hoping by starting this. There are some players that have seen a lot of these guys play. I've seen several of them play, but wasn't as involved in college ball this year as I usually am. Lets get some game film and highlight reels of some of the guys we might think fit the team. Should be an interesting discussion.

#5 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 4,125 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

yeah guys this is my personal take on the top ten. I have watched a lot of college and have seen most of these players oin more than a couple of games. #1 davis= looks like a young akeem to me, but with the ability to stay out of foul trouble #2 kid-gilcrest= explosive scorer, but needs to work on jump shot. open court player #3 robinson=bigger better version of the marcus morris #4 harrison barnes= less physical tyke evans #5 drummond= jury is still out of this kid. has all the tools but is lazy remindes me of eddy curry #6 beal= eric gordon waiting to happen again #7 lillard= needs a lot of work the only reason he makes top ten is this draft is short on really good point guards #8 sullinger=more physical scola #9 teague= another player who I think the only reason he goes top ten is shortage of point guards. but he is a decent shooter #10 henson= skinny but very good at blocking shots without getting in foul trouble. rebounding is decent, but needs to put on weight. will get pushed around 1st year in the league. ...... where I think where the real steals can be had in this draft is in the 11 - 15 range I expect players like t. jones from kentucky, jones from baylor, tyler zeller, meyers leanard, to be in that range

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#6 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 437 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:00 PM

There is a lot of talent in this draft but from watching games this year outside of like 3 or 4 players these guys seem to be incredibly inconsistent. The guys who aren't inconsistent have either size or athleticism issues. That being said. We need an upgrade at C. Leonard is very interesting. Physically he has all the tools to be a top 5 pick, but Chad Ford has him at 17 I think. He is still a guy who I think we need to take a chance on. The last thing we need to do is draft another undersized PF. I know we get value for these guys but if everyone on your front court is undersized it doesn't really matter how talented they are. One guy who a lot of people think have potential is Rivers. I'm not a fan. He's a scoring PG with bad shot selection. The problem with us targeting guys is that outside of the top 6 guys (Davis, MKG, Beal, Robinson, Drummond, Barnes) the rest of the first round is wide open, although with good workouts PJIII could get in there. Zeller is interesting but I think he's more of a PF than a C. I really like the way he plays offensively and defensively and he runs the floor really well. More importantly I think he honestly loves playing basketball. Henson is a guy who would benefit most from Camby being on the team. I think his goal should be to become Camby with a prettier shooting stroke. I woudn't take Sullinger at all, I'm just so tired of unathletic PFs. I wouldn't take T. Jones at all. Don't like his game, don't like his attitude. Melo is a guy who again has all the ability, but just doesn't seem to get it and I don't want that guy around.
          I just tried to analyze big guys because that's our biggest need in my opinion. I also feel like taking a SG/SF in the middle of the 1st round, unless you are 100% they are going to be an all-star, is a bad idea because I think that is the easiest position to find good players.

#7 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 4,125 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:57 PM

Ostrow:
          I agree our priority should be drafting a big man. I also agree this draft has some good possibilities at that position. I think henson is somebody who is flying under the radar, but like you said can become a better camby. while I do like meyers lenord I think zeller is better. even if we manage to trade for a center we should still draft a center. thats how weak I feel we are at that position

#8 majik19

majik19

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 277 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:53 PM

This draft has a lot of boom or bust guys (and more likely I assume bust). Davis is a star in the making, but other than that, I don't see any "best or second best players on a playoff team" right now

However, if the Rockets could take a flyer on Perry Jones or Austin Rivers - they are the ones in the range that our pick will be that have a shot at being legitimate starters on playoff teams. I think everyone else within range is going to be another one of our productive players who is good value at the spot, but doesn't really take our team to the next level (brooks, landry, budinger, landry...)
            The unfortunate part about this draft is that the International crop is really weak, so we can't hope to find a buried gem from Europe in the 14-15 range.

#9 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
            • 1,547 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:00 AM

Well, I wonder how high we could climb with a package of Lowry and 14+17 or however it ends up. Is that enough to crack top 5? What teams are potential targets to want Lowry and trade their pick? Other than Sacramento, I can't think of anyone.

#10 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 4,125 posts
              • Locationhouston

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:19 AM

Well, I wonder how high we could climb with a package of Lowry and 14+17 or however it ends up. Is that enough to crack top 5? What teams are potential targets to want Lowry and trade their pick? Other than Sacramento, I can't think of anyone.

the top 5 right now look like 1.charlotte 2.washington 3.new orleans 4. sacramento 5.new jersey. unless another team moves up via the lottery pin pong ball process. if I were the rockets I would forget about charlotte, new orleans and new jersey. those teams are not parting with their pick. now washington and sacramento are another story. washington has a very young team and the last thing they want is another rookie, if they can get some veteran help they might be willing to trade. sacramento is looking for a point guard, and also might be willing. those are the only chancs to get in top 5. I think if the rockets can get in top 5....then do it, but if not stay where you are and get 2 picks. after the top 5 the range of 6 thru 15 prospects are pretty much even in potental

#11 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
              • 1,547 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:57 AM

the top 5 right now look like 1.charlotte 2.washington 3.new orleans 4. sacramento 5.new jersey. unless another team moves up via the lottery pin pong ball process. if I were the rockets I would forget about charlotte, new orleans and new jersey. those teams are not parting with their pick. now washington and sacramento are another story. washington has a very young team and the last thing they want is another rookie, if they can get some veteran help they might be willing to trade. sacramento is looking for a point guard, and also might be willing. those are the only chancs to get in top 5. I think if the rockets can get in top 5....then do it, but if not stay where you are and get 2 picks. after the top 5 the range of 6 thru 15 prospects are pretty much even in potental

Completely agree on Washington and Sac both probably being willing to trade their pick. Problem is, there's next to no chance Wizards would want Lowry with Wall already there.

As far as keeping two picks, I think that's highly unlikely. With Motiejunas already coming over, they're not going to want to carry three rookies on their payroll when the team already couldn't find time for this year's lottery pick. I think they definitely will move one of those picks in some way.

#12 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 437 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

I think NJ could potentially be a possibility. They are weak in a lot of places and if D-Will leaves they need a PG and the 2 other draft picks could be helpful to them. That could potentially give them 4 starters next year (with Lopez) already in place. Even throw in another guy (Martin, Scola, Morris, Bud, etc) and we might have a shot. I don't know how they could turn down Lowry Scola and 2 first rounders (3 if we include the Mavs future) with the team they have now. They are moving to Brooklyn and they are terrible at the moment. Multiple good players would be important to them getting some fans in.

#13 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPip
                  • 1,184 posts
                  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:42 PM

A pattern I've noticed in the last few drafts - big men are always predicted to go way too late early. As the draft approaches, the "You can't teach size" aphorisms come out and players with 'C' next to their name seem to shoot up the draft boards. I'm expecting Leonard to go higher than the 15 that DraftExpress currently predicts. Maybe Moultrie? Although he's listed as a 4-5 tweener, and we kind of need someone more solidly in the 5 range...

ST

#14 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                  • 1,547 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:20 PM

A pattern I've noticed in the last few drafts - big men are always predicted to go way too late early. As the draft approaches, the "You can't teach size" aphorisms come out and players with 'C' next to their name seem to shoot up the draft boards. I'm expecting Leonard to go higher than the 15 that DraftExpress currently predicts. Maybe Moultrie? Although he's listed as a 4-5 tweener, and we kind of need someone more solidly in the 5 range...

ST

For whatever reason, Daryl has had an aversion to full-sized bigs, passing up on many of them during his time. I guess it's because they're the biggest projects and thus the biggest risks. With Camby and Motie already in tow, I can't see them taking a flier on a center.

#15 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • 4,125 posts
                    • Locationhouston

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

For whatever reason, Daryl has had an aversion to full-sized bigs, passing up on many of them during his time. I guess it's because they're the biggest projects and thus the biggest risks. With Camby and Motie already in tow, I can't see them taking a flier on a center.

I think morey doesn't draft most of these big men because they aren't that good. during the draft (like sir thursday) I think teams fall in love with height. many a big man has been drafted simply because he is 7 foot.

#16 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 338 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:26 PM

Rahat,
                      Respectfully disagree w/you on two things.
                      One,the Rockets desperately need a legit Center. We don't know if Motie will be a C(where he'll likely play just out of need) or a PF,Camby cannot be relied on for major minutes due to his age and the minor injuries he's been racking up the past few yrs. The only way Dalembert is on the roster is if the Rockets are desperate. The Rockets could easily take a C project and hope to develop him.
                      Second,regarding drafting multiple players,the Rockets have done so in the past and will do so in the future. The team has several needs and open roster spots. Rookie contracts are comparatively cheap and the roster would have to be filled either way. Factor in the way the Rockets use RGV,and drafting a couple of players looks pretty likely,even w/Motie coming over.

#17 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                      • 1,547 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:32 PM

Rahat,
                        Respectfully disagree w/you on two things.
                        One,the Rockets desperately need a legit Center. We don't know if Motie will be a C(where he'll likely play just out of need) or a PF,Camby cannot be relied on for major minutes due to his age and the minor injuries he's been racking up the past few yrs. The only way Dalembert is on the roster is if the Rockets are desperate. The Rockets could easily take a C project and hope to develop him.
                        Second,regarding drafting multiple players,the Rockets have done so in the past and will do so in the future. The team has several needs and open roster spots. Rookie contracts are comparatively cheap and the roster would have to be filled either way. Factor in the way the Rockets use RGV,and drafting a couple of players looks pretty likely,even w/Motie coming over.

I said many times over the past few weeks for everyone to "get used to Dalembert and Camby as I didn't think the team could get a better center combo." Boy was I completely wrong!

I think Dalembert is without a doubt let go after the way he disappeared down the stretch. No way they pick up that $6million.

As to your other point though, don't you think they'd rather just roll with Greg Smith than spend a pick and over $1million on a new rookie prospect?

Also, do they really want to get even younger? They already have a very young roster and they (for better or wose) want to remain competitive.

#18 majik19

majik19

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 277 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:44 PM

I absolutely would not trade Lowry just for the chance at at top 5 pick. This is a two player draft, and the drop off from the first one to the second one is quite a bit.

Trade Lowry for a known commodity or a guy with upside who is already in the league.

I agree with you Rahat on the getting younger - any rookie we draft is going to have a hell of a time cracking the rotation. If the International crop was stronger, I would definitely see us going that route... but it's not.

I could even see us trading our pick entirely, either for a pick in next year's draft or for a veteran.

#19 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
                          • PipPipPip
                          • 437 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:20 AM

I'd wait until after the lottery to make this deal so we know exactly where the pick is to deal him for a pick. Lowry doesn't seem like he is going to be happy here with Dragic so I think we'll have to deal him. There are some guys who I think would fit well in the line-up but I'm going to try to wait a little bit so I see if we make any deals before the draft. Our team has a lot of great role players so the 2 guys getting drafting the middle of the first round are not going to be stars right away which would make it very difficult to crack the rotation (unless they are a C and they show they have a pulse in training camp). That is of course if we don't package some of our guys for one, then I think they could have a shot to play the first year.

#20 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
                            • PipPipPip
                            • 338 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:19 PM

Regarding the youth argument.
                              I'm sure McHale and staff would love a team full of veterans w/7-10 yrs experience. That's not happening.
                              But to say the Rockets are full of kids is only partially correct.

Assuming Scola stays and Camby is re-signed,I'd defy anyone to say they are young.
                              Of the young guys who the team likely keeps/re-signs,Lee and Dragic will be entering their 5th yr,Bud his fourth and Patterson his third.
                              Parsons will be entering his second yr.
                              Anybody the Rockets trade for or sign in Free Agency will have several yrs in the League.
                              So long as there are a couple of respected vets around(another reason why Scola will be kept) and the young guys work hard and are rewarded for their work,the Rockets can add a few more Draft picks to the roster.

Again,the roster has to be filled. Would you rather it was w/cheap D-League fodder,vets playing out the string,over-priced mediocre FAs or young Firsts,one of whom may turn out to be someone very good?
                              Considering the team has no problem w/sending First Rd picks to the Vipers to get playing time and develop-and just as importantly,young players know that's what the Rockets do,it's not a punishment-and I can easily see the team drafting a couple of players to go w/Motie. I could easily see the benefits of drafting 3 guys,but I imagine the Rockets will combine two Firsts to move up,or trade away one for a future pick.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users