Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  DenverRocket : (26 September 2016 - 06:29 PM) Looks like bboley was correct all the way back on May 26th: http://www.espn.com/...houston-rockets
@  slick shoes : (26 September 2016 - 06:03 PM) Remember when everyone was elated that Chris Bosh was on the verge of signing without Houston? Dodged a bullet on that one.
@  thejohnnygold : (23 September 2016 - 03:02 PM) @Slick Shoes - I don't think so....I may have had him bundled in a trade scenario or two back when Phoenix had ALL the PG's.
@  slick shoes : (22 September 2016 - 08:53 PM) I'm liking the trade with Beasley for Tyler Ennis. JG, weren't you advocating drafting him a year or two ago?
@  thejohnnygold : (17 September 2016 - 03:38 PM) I think they will eventually settle on a good deal, but it will likely have early team options to protect against his chronic injury problems.
@  slick shoes : (16 September 2016 - 02:47 PM) If no one else is making any offers, why would we exceed the minimum? Is it that he/his agent think his value is higher than the market dictates?
@  thejohnnygold : (16 September 2016 - 01:08 PM) Yup. The last sentence of that article says it all. "All deals get done in the 11th hour".
@  DenverRocket : (15 September 2016 - 06:16 PM) The latest on D-Mo http://www.espn.com/...rockets-lagging
@  slick shoes : (29 August 2016 - 11:42 AM) At some point they've got to start trading SOME of these picks for veteran players...
@  thejohnnygold : (26 August 2016 - 10:03 PM) Call me crazy, but I'd rather have Kendall Marshall than 2 2nd rounders.
@  slick shoes : (26 August 2016 - 08:30 PM) the 76's trade for another center? im assuming they were really after the two 2nd rounders...
@  thejohnnygold : (07 August 2016 - 07:16 PM) Nope, but there is some raw talent to work with there. He is years away...
@  majik19 : (06 August 2016 - 11:53 PM) well it doesn't look like Zhou Qi is NBA-ready
@  thejohnnygold : (25 July 2016 - 04:26 PM) I think I am going to like Bobby Brown...that is within the confines of our current strategy which is score, score, SCORE!
@  slick shoes : (22 July 2016 - 08:02 PM) The "super team" Knicks? lol
@  thejohnnygold : (22 July 2016 - 06:05 PM) On Josh Smith...my guess is the Knicks eventually sign him.
@  slick shoes : (21 July 2016 - 04:29 PM) The Jet has been released. Josh Smith will likely play for another team next season. Maybe he teams up with Dwight in ATL?
@  slick shoes : (21 July 2016 - 12:17 PM) Harden is now sending hitmen after Rockets legends' sons for badmouthing him on social media *facepalm*
@  slick shoes : (18 July 2016 - 02:22 PM) If you haven't seen the 30 for 30 "The Guru of Go", I recommend it before the upcoming season.
@  Shy Silver : (14 July 2016 - 07:20 PM) Yea I know, but there were reports both sides were willing to have a reunion before Chicago signed him. So at the time, Canaan was an option, and a better one than Pablo at that. We should've capitalized on that one, especially with how well he fits the system for obvious reasons + age on his side.

Photo

Wait...Dragic can be had for a draft pick?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:26 AM

That should be Q by the dollar amount of the RFA.....Qualifying offer sheet amount. We laugh about Bev's achievements; but you know his agent will push those things. I'm all in on a Dragic trade. $15 mil is about 7.5 mil for each of his services as a PG and SG.

#22 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 478 posts
    • LocationHouston

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:07 AM

That should be Q by the dollar amount of the RFA.....Qualifying offer sheet amount. We laugh about Bev's achievements; but you know his agent will push those things. I'm all in on a Dragic trade. $15 mil is about 7.5 mil for each of his services as a PG and SG.

on nba.com David Aldridge saying he heard Dragic wants out of PHO (does provide caveat of Dragic changing mind if thomas is traded) but still good news right?

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#23 clydesmoustache

clydesmoustache

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 185 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:00 PM

on nba.com David Aldridge saying he heard Dragic wants out of PHO (does provide caveat of Dragic changing mind if thomas is traded) but still good news right?

Definitely good news but a bit of a worry if the reason he wants to leave the suns is that he wants the ball in his hands more. I want Dragic but I would want him to defer to the MVP.

#24 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,568 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:27 PM

As much as I want to stay away from this until the dust settles I've found that I have moved from Camp Dragic over to Camp Lawson.

Now, all of this is contingent on the trade demands of Phoenix/Denver.  Overpaying is out of the question.  Denver is clearly heading towards tank mode so expiring deals, young prospects, and draft picks are likely on their wish list.  Thus, an offer of Terry, Papanikolaou, Capela, and the Pellies' first should be enticing.  They essentially shave $10M off next year's books (assuming they don't exercise Papa's option) while acquiring an intriguing prospect in Capela (who won't interfere with tanking plans) and a late lotto pick in next year's draft.

For us, we suffer the immediate loss of Terry's veteran presence, clutch shooting, and championship know-how.  We lose Papa's smarts and hustle which often seem to make everyone else on the court better even while he seems to be playing poorly.  We lose Capela's potential.  We lose next year's "Marcus Morris", "Patrick Patterson", or whatever tweener Morey would have drafted.

What we gain is the Mighty Mouse Damon Stoudamire could have been.  Yes, he showed it his first couple of years in the league...and then that was it.  With Lawson, we are getting a guy who has lead a team for the last few years (post-Melo) and increased his production while maintaining his efficiency in the process of becoming the other team's defensive focus.  Lawson is squarely in his prime (27 years old) and in the middle of a 4 year deal that pays him fair market value while producing above market numbers (roughly $12M/year for 17 points and 10 assists).

We're getting a guy who, at 5' 11", gets to the rim 1 out of every 4 shots and finishes at a 64% clip once there.  He draws almost 6 foul shouts a game and makes a decent amount of them at 73%.  He does all of this without dominating the ball as represented by his only slightly higher than normal usg% of 21.5.

What separates him from Dragic is the assist numbers.  Dragic's usg% is identical.  His scoring is close.  His efficiency is close (he does sport a 71% conversion rate within 0-3 feet of the basket...which is nice since 40% of his shots are taken there).  He is a Slovenian Harden, in a nutshell.  Which leads me to my concern....(outside of trading assets for a 30 yr. old PG who is looking for max money and hasn't committed to re-signing.)

Defenses will not have to adjust much between Harden and Dragic.  They play the same game.  Get to the rim, shoot the three, make the pass--in that order.  Lawson adds a different wrinkle and excels at getting others good looks.  His size has forced him to adapt and utilize the teammates around him more.  He also sports a solid mid-range game (48% from 10-16 ft......drop those analytical bully sticks, people!) which we have learned is a useful, and necessary, weapon to have in the arsenal when defenses decide to shut down the paint.

I know.  We don't want to take the ball out of Harden's hands.  Actually, that is exactly what we want to do.  All this talk about resting him, riding him too hard, over-burdening, and him having no help all point to one thing---->take the ball out of his hands.  Lawson is a proven distributor and play maker.  You think he isn't going to get some solid looks playing alongside Lawson?  He is an excellent cutter when he has a guy who can make the pass.  We also already know he is an excellent spot-up shooter from deep.

Lawson will still defer to James plenty.  When James gets gassed, he can defer to Lawson.  Defenses will make more mental errors having to move back and forth between defending Harden as "PG" and Lawson as "PG" because it's 2 completely different attacks--unlike Dragic.

This video from earlier in the season pretty much shows you what you are going to get with Lawson (except he doesn't take any 3's here).

Setting up 3-pt. shooters, pick n roll, penetration, interior passing, mid-range, drawing fouls, you name it he does it.  Watch him play.  His passes are precise, on time, and, most importantly, catch-able.  I feel like we suffer from poor passing frequently (off target, bad timing, flat out uncatch-able) in our offense.  Lawson can alleviate that.

Look, getting Dragic will make us better.  It will take the burden off of Harden and put some of it on his shoulders.  That's great.  Getting Lawson will make us better--meaning the whole team, not just Harden.  Smith, Ariza, Motie, Brewer, and even Dorsey will benefit from Lawson's abilities.  I believe the net benefit from that group improvement will exceed the benefit Dragic brings.

Add to that the benefit of not having to worry about re-signing him plus we get him in a "contract year" (which everyone loves, right?) in '16-'17 and it looks better and better.  It all depends on the price.  If we can get Dragic for Papa and the Pellie's first while keeping Capela and Terry...you know we have to go that route (not likely to happen).  All things held equal, I prefer Lawson.

#25 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,568 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:43 PM

Some clever soul made this...I was amused.  (just barely NSFW)  Also, you may prefer to mute it, but I find the sound enhances the effect.

#26 majik19

majik19

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 477 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 05:01 PM

That video pretty much sums up the next week and James Harden's MVP candidacy. Well done.

I think I would be on board for Lawson as well, but it sounds like the Nuggets want a ransom for him after they made out well in the Mozgov deal. I think the Suns are more likely to panic, with Dragic able to leave at the end of the year, while the Nuggets could trade Lawson in the offseason. 

So if the price is the same (some combination of the Pellies' pick, Jones, Capela, Johnson, Terry, Papa, Canaan), then Lawson is the better option because we know he'll be around next year.

What if we could somehow swing a trade for Fareid and Lawson! (Now I'm talking crazy, I know). The trade machine doesn't have a combination that works with just these two teams, but maybe getting a 3rd team involved. Then we wouldn't have to give Dorsey minutes anymore!

#27 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 179 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 12:49 AM

I really do like Lawson, but aren't the only expirings we have to give them Terry and Shved? Plus, though Lawson fits our needs a tad better, I think Denver would be more likely to trade Afflalo than they would Lawson.

A lot depends on what Phoenix thinks it can do. Apparently there were meetings today between them and Dragic's agents. If Phoenix thinks it has any shot with resigning Dragic, there's a very good chance they will trade away Thomas. In this situation, I wonder if they Rockets couldn't play to their fears, making them eat an unfavorable deal in their desperation just to get rid of Thomas.

In a vacuum, I'd take Lawson and Dragic before Thomas. But I'll take paying a dollar for Thomas over paying three for either Dragic or Lawson any day. Likewise for Afflalo.

Edited by cointurtlemoose, 18 February 2015 - 12:49 AM.

#28 TTrainW

TTrainW

• Members
          • Pip
          • 26 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 02:41 AM

Not sure about Lawson's defence, but at this point we're really just focusing on getting some offensive upgrade from the PG position, and take the ball out of Harden's hands to alleviate some pressure. I brought up the offball Harden scenario in an earlier post, and either Dragic or Lawson can be that dynamic point guard that adds so many elements when paired with Harden that the defence has to adapt to and honor. 

Lawson seems more of a long shot to me, as the asking price would be pretty damn high according to Bleacher Report news on the Denver front. I still like Dragic more, as he pretty much fits everything the Rockets would need -- excellent finisher at the rim, good passing ability, runs the fast break, shoots threes, makes good decisions, and he probably knows McHale well and vice versa. 

With Lawson, his size has made him limited in some areas, and I've seen him been forced to giveup the ball a lot midway through a drive to the rim when facing tough defensive pressure. He's not as good or as willing as of a three point shooter IMO; he can knock down the shot though, make no mistake. 

The problem with Dragic is that he's a FA after this season, and I'm not as comfortable giving him the max deal that he will probably be looking for. Yet if we're serious about contending we have to find a PG, and if it's Dragic that we do end up getting, that means we have to retain him if there's isn't a better option on the market, which I'm pretty sure at this point there isn't. And as Rahat alluded to earlier, with our core locked down, we can finally begin spending money to retain role players instead of striving for financial flexibility. So Dragic locked down for four years 80 million, or Lawson for the rest of his contract at about 12 mil a year? Financially, the wiggle room with Lawson is a bit larger. 

I think we have more bargaining room for Dragic and can get him for a better price than Lawson. The Suns are pressured to unload at least one point guard, while Denver is just looking for the highest bidder when it comes to Lawson. Regardless of what happens, I expect us to make a splash for one of the two. When the dust settles, I hope H-Town is ready for a run in the playoffs. 

#29 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 478 posts
            • LocationHouston

Posted 18 February 2015 - 05:14 AM

Lawson also has some health issues with his ankles iirc, or did those go away? In a vacuum...i'd take lawson, for our team I'd still take dragic cause he can play sg behind harden next to bev for spurts, which lawson can't. Defensively i see a lawson/bev tandem being a bit rough, but a bev/dragic one should hold up ok. I could be wrong though and honestly would be happy with either one.

Also anyone who watched the asg saw that harden plays well with pgs. Harden knows how to cut and find open space, and he will still handle it most of the time imho. The key for me is as long as harden has it at the end of games/quarters im ok with the pg taking it out of his hands occassionally during the course of the game.

LoSTHieF

#30 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,310 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 05:34 AM

If we did get lawson we would probably have to trade bev for a backup 2. Right now it looks like we won't be getting him or dragic unless denver gives in on its seemingly excessive demands or the dragic reports are wrong/dragic changes his mind.

#31 DaDakota

DaDakota

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 169 posts
              • LocationAustin

Posted 18 February 2015 - 05:49 AM

I don't think you can try for Dragic if he is going to be bolting at the end of the year.

Unless you are trading only picks or non rotation players.

DD

#32 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPipPip
              • 754 posts
              • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:51 PM

http://hangtime.blog...ls=iref:nbahpts

"A team that acquires Dragic now would also have his Bird rights in July, a major bargaining chip in free agency. Several reports say Dragic, through his agent, have given the Suns a list of preferred destinations, but that the Rockets, one of the clubs that had been pursuing him, are not among the places Dragic would stay. That would put Houston in the difficult position of giving up assets for someone who would bolster its playoff hopes, except as a short-term rental who would leave after the season."

#33 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
              • 4,568 posts
              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 February 2015 - 05:55 PM

Yup, Ale11.  I saw that and I truly hope Houston doesn't try to "convince" him to stay.  He wants the keys to the car--plain and simple.  He wants out of Phoenix because he wants the ball more--why would he want to come to Houston if he believes that same problem will exist?  Sorry everybody, but I think the Dragic Dream just died.

#34 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 2,008 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 06:20 PM

Sources told ESPN that he doesn't want to resign with Houston.

JUST PLAY CANAAN!!! #FREELILSIP

#35 txtdo1411

txtdo1411

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 234 posts
                • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 18 February 2015 - 10:39 PM

Seems like most are on board (not necessarily this site, but following the Red94 twitter account) with throwing away the NOP draft pick, as well as a Jones/Papa. I'm 90% sure I am against this. I understand why Rahat has still been lobbying for it, but Dragic is really rubbing me the wrong way the last 24 hours. Wants a green light like Curry in GS, you know just the best shooter in the game. His "list" also just so happens to be teams with gobs of cap space this summer. It all just seems like a Melo-esque type play from Dragic. He supposedly wants to go to a contender, but doesn't want any competition in ball handling duties. He either truly believes he can single handily carry a team deep in to the playoffs, or really doesn't care about contending. If he did he would realize that even Curry has a ton of help in Golden State. In this league, even if you are the best player in the game (which obviously Dragic is not even close to), you still need a lot of help to win a title. 

Now I don't know if he has watched Harden play, or talked to him, but I guarantee Harden would be okay with deferring to Dragic at times. Harden is not a selfish, egotistical young super star. he is a very willing passer, and Goran would not be struggling for touches here. I'm not sure how he doesn't see this, or how our guys haven't pointed it out, but he would thrive in this system. Oh well, if he doesn't want to come then fine. Wish ya the best dragging terrible teams to the lottery. 

#36 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 478 posts
                • LocationHouston

Posted 19 February 2015 - 12:45 AM

it might not be harden he's worried about taking touches....

LoSTHieF

#37 King's Gambit Accepted

King's Gambit Accepted

Rookie

• Members
                • PipPip
                • 52 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 07:24 AM

Sources told ESPN that he doesn't want to resign with Houston.

JUST PLAY CANAAN!!! #FREELILSIP

btw Why we don't play Canaan more? He was huge before he went down...funny how injuries may force the coaches' hand to make the right move....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users