Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Patrick Beverley to participate in the NBA Skills Challenge

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:14 AM

New post: Patrick Beverley to participate in the NBA Skills Challenge
    By: Rahat Huq

I get press releases sent from the Rockets sent to my Red94 email account.  So you know that little notification banner that shows up at the top of your screen in iOS when you get a new email?  I got that this afternoon and while quickly glancing, saw something about Beverley and the Skills Challenge.  I thought a reader was forwarding something from The Onion.  Serious.

This was odd, to be polite.  I can't really think of a player more miscast for a particular event.  I guess there was the year Antoine Walker participated in the 3-point shootout, but there, at least you could say he kind of got hot every now and then.  But this...Beverley doesn't really possess any skills, aside from the ability to hound the guys that actually do possess the skills this event is intended to showcase.  (And even there, he's slipped drastically this season).  To his credit, I guess he sort of can take care of the ball, and at the least, he seems fairly competent being able to dribble it down the floor.  But...yeah.  In any event, whether it be his agent or the Rockets' marketing team, someone did a very good job at their job in making this happen.  And at the least, I'll probably tune in when I wouldn't have otherwise.  Maybe this is a new marketing strategy by the league?  Include the most painfully ironic contestants into each event, summoning hilarity.  Maybe we can get Omer Asik in the slam dunk contest with the patented two-hand dunk he does every single time, followed up with a hanging pullup on the rim.

As an aside, is there a dumber event than the Skills Challenge?  Maybe the one where they have the WNBA players shoot the half-court shots.  But back to the Skills Challenge, you have the most skilled athletes in the entire world, guys able to split double teams off pick and rolls, break ankles with stepbacks and hesitations and essentially everything Kyrie Irving and Steph Curry do nightly, and your manner of deciphering supremacy in skill is having them dribble through stationary cones and throw the ball through a hoop a few yards away?  Really, NBA?  You guys can do better than that.

#2 bboley24

bboley24

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 393 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:27 AM

NBA fail.

#3 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,133 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:01 PM

Yeah, the all-star weekend should just get handed over to the Harlem Globetrotters at this point--at least they understand entertainment.

I'd love to see the skills challenge if it were based off of Jason Williams' game.  Guys taking turns running fast breaks and seeing who can make the most creative pass/dunk combos.  Yes, please.  Three turns each starting with a two-man break, and then adding one more player for each turn after--so three then four man fast breaks....could get pretty interesting.

I'd love to see the all-star game format change a bit.  Everyone gets voted in/selected the same (for now), but after that the top two vote getters become "captains" and they take turns picking guys the same way us plebians do.  I think it would be fascinating to see which guys got picked first/last and I think whoever gets picked last will play with that chip on their shoulder making the game more competitive.  You know none of these guys has ever been picked last before (or at least not since they were kids).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users