Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

What positives came from this season?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:08 PM

A reader, Voecklen, wrote in the comments of my Dallas post:

Rahut is too busy saying "I told you so " to see anything other than his POV. A lot of good came from this season. Real fans understand.

I wanted to move this here as that post already got pushed down on the front page.

I'm trying to think of what positives came from this season. Here is what comes to mind:

1. Chandler Parsons
    2. Dragic emerged and may be ready to become a star.
    3. Dragic and Lee showed they can be a winning backcourt in the NBA.

On the other hand, the negatives can go on for quite some time:

1. Patterson regressed
    2. Scola another year older with lower trade value
    3. Kevin Martin--previously our best player--now maybe with very low trade value
    4. No chance given to Marcus Morris, hence, no development
    5. Kyle Lowry now in limbo
    6. Most importantly, yet another year of time lost.

The problem I have with those few positives I could think of is that they aren't even concrete and seem to happen every year. First, we don't know what is going to happen with Dragic and Lee. But furthermore, we've seen 'breakout' years from young players every single year for the past four with nothing to show for it (Brooks, Lowry, Landry, etc.) as they all ended up being traded.

That's why I keep harping on this concept of a foundation and the notion of 'experience.' Experience is valuable when there is a clear sense of the nucleus. The Rockets losing to Seattle in 93 was absolutely necessary for their titles because Hakeem, Otis, Horry, Maxwell etc. were their set foundation. Those guys weren't going anywhere. But with this team, you can't say the same thing. It's highly unlikely that these core guys are all back. Scola probably won't even be around by the time the team gets good again.

#2 pharmag

pharmag

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 263 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

The biggest good I can potentially see coming out of this season is Les finally getting off the "Stay competitive" order and enabling Morey more liberty to shape and mold this team. That doesn't even mean Morey will blow this team up, but it at least opens up that possibility as well as many others.

#3 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,125 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:41 PM

the negatives far out weigh the positives. finding out dragic could play this well postive. finding out lee can hole down 2 guard postive. getting our draft pick back positive that's about it on positive. now negatives dalembert turned out to be a subpar big man (I expect him to be released). kevin martin crashed and burned. kevin mc hale knows nothing about coaching (I see why they chased him out of minny). scola declined (if that's even possible in that he was already subpar). we still don't have a go to player on this team, and we still have no clear cut direction or identity on this team. we have a lot of work to do to get this team ready for next year if we want to change this years result.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#4 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
      • 1,547 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

I agree almost completely with both of you. I'm trying to understand how being realistic about the team's problems and offering an honest critique equates to 'not being a fan.'

Do people just want roses and fluff 24/7?

The players played their asses off. It was admirable. That doesn't change the fact that this season was a failure by any measurement of evaluation. They have not improved their chances of winning a title - that is all that matters.

#5 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 4,125 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:00 PM

I agree almost completely with both of you. I'm trying to understand how being realistic about the team's problems and offering an honest critique equates to 'not being a fan.'

The players played their asses off. It was admirable. That doesn't change the fact that this season was a failure by any measurement of evaluation. They have not improved their chances of winning a title - that is all that matters.

most people won't accept that rome wasn't built in a day. they expect us to wake up one morning and be able to win the championship. championship teams happen in 2 ways either you get lucky and land a franchise player to built around or you move up the latter of talent until you get close enough to take a big swing and get a franchine player. our's is simply a dicussion of the latter process. I love the rockets pure and simple.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#6 Guest_Zero_*

Guest_Zero_*
        • Guests

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:32 PM

Parsons, obviously, who turned out a diamond in the rough. Secondly, Dragic, and with him the realization that we can live without Lowry. A tiny positive would be the signing of Camby, but that's a rather short term benefit. That's it, I guess.

A propos of Dragic, I would consider among the negatives the fact that the front office didn't decide to cash in on Lowry's massively overblown reputation and sell him high the moment Goran proved to be a more than capable replacement. Apart from that, the decline of most of the opening day starters has been well documented, of course. It saddens me especially to see K-Mart drop off so drastically.
        Overall, this season didn't offer much to write home about. A year from now we will mostly remember it for the rejected trade, I think.

#7 majik19

majik19

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 277 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:45 AM

1. Chandler Parsons

1. Patterson regressed
          3. Kevin Martin--previously our best player--now maybe with very low trade value

1) Unfortunately, Chandler Parsons had a great season and he still doesn't show up on David Thorpe's top 10 most potential list, even as a honorable mention. So I don't know how much we can really say we got out of that - weren't we saying the same things about Budinger just a few years ago?
          2) Agreed. Now we have to lock him up. I'm afraid that may require a Lowry trade (more on that later).
          3) Are you sure about this? How can we say this is a winning backcourt when we lost the games that mattered the most? However, on your "developing core" topic, if Lee and Dragic really are the backcourt of the future, with Parsons on the wing, then yes, we did gain learning experience this year.

On to your negatives:

1) Very disappointing. Actually, all of our big men regressed this year - not a good sign for McHale, a Hall of Fame big man that many of us were hoping would improve our big men this year.
          2) Are you sure his value went down that much? I know his production was down some, but I think everyone knows what he is, and he proved he can still play at a fairly high level. Also, now there is one year less on his contract, which makes him a more palatable trade asset.
          3) This one is one where Morey really let his value get away, unfortunately. And coming off a shoulder injury, his value is probably a 2nd round pick at best (not too bad when Morey has the pick).
          4) Have to disagree with you on Marcus Morris. Just being on an NBA roster for a full season helps development, and don't forget, there was no offseason. This year was almost his offseason. I'm interested to see what he can do next year. Even so, we should have picked Kawhi Leonard - I think that's obvious right now (though then Parsons might not have had a chance).
          5) This one is so weird. At the beginning of the year, he was a budding allstar who could play second fiddle on a championship team. Then the team's offense completely changed without him, and now we're not sure what he is.
          6) Time lost against what? Our lives? This makes it sound like we have a superstar who's clock is ticking and we're not putting players around him. For the most part, I was entertained this year - that's what made the end so bad, is that everyone (who followed the season) really enjoyed this team and set high expectations.

All in all, it's really hard to see where to go from here. I think trading Scola, Martin, and yes, even Lowry, needs to happen this offseason and somehow we need to keep Dragic and Lee. We'd go into next year with a starting 5 of Dragic, Lee, Parsons, Patterson, and Camby, which is again a fringe playoff contender. The hope is that trading those three would give us a starting 3 or 4 who can really help us win, and then Parsons or Patterson becomes the glue guy off the bench. I'd like to see if our overseas players can contribute next year - if Llull and Motiejunas can play significant minutes, we'll have a super young team that is at least intriguing.

The unfortunate thing is that Morey's job has to be getting hot. Les Alexander doesn't like to lose, and this year had to especially sting. The last two years we knew all year long it would be a struggle. This year, we had the inside track, and lost it. Next year the West will be even stronger:

Thunder are only going to get better
          Lakers will be older, but Bynum seems to be filling any gaps there.
          Grizzlies are probably the same next year
          Clippers will probably improve
          Mavericks may slow down some
          Spurs may slow down some (never counting them out)
          Nuggets will probably be about the same
          T-wolves are only going to get better
          Jazz are only going to get better
          Warriors are a wild card
          Suns depend on Nash - probably they fall to the bottom of the West
          New Orleans stays at the bottom
          Kings will stay at the bottom
          Trailblazers will be at the bottom

Without some serious help at the 3 and 4 especially, we are only going to slip in the standings.

#8 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
          • 1,547 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:37 PM

6) Time lost against what? Our lives?

This made me LOL. Touche - good point.

#9 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 338 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:54 PM

Positives:

Chandler Parsons. If he could add some arch to his jumper and develop a scorer's mentality we'd have a star. As is he's a great complementary player.

Goran Dragic. Shown he can be a good,quality starting PG.(That also appears to be his ceiling,but I think the Rockets would be happy with that.)

Luis Scola. has really impressed me w/a total upgrade to his game. Luis used to go months w/out using his left hand,now he's doing so a couple times a game. He has come up w/a deadly accurate hook/bank shot that he is relying on this season and that nobody has come up w/an answer for. When he gets the ball in the Low Post he now surveys the court looking for open Rockets and makes the right pass. He's identifying cutters and is getting better at getting them the ball. From being a black hole he has become very good at passing out of the Low Post. On defense he positions himself so much better,rarely being lit up by his PF peers.
              The problem for Scola is help defense where his lack of jumping ability is a liability,esp when he's forced to play C. When teamed w/a rebounding,weak-side/help shot-blocker he is a fairly good individual defender,certainly no worse than the other scoring PFs. The problem w/Scola at C is that Patterson has lost his explosiveness this season and can't offer weak-side help nor much rebounding help.

Kevin McHale. As much criticism as he's gotten-much of it deserved-the fact is he's likely going to end up a couple games over .500,just out of the Play-Offs. Which is what happened w/Adelman the past couple of seasons.
              Considering McHale couldn't work w/the Players in the off-season,the lack of training camp and the abbreviated pre-season,he's exceeded my expectations. For all intents and purposes this was his rookie season as a Head Coach and hopefully he learns from his mistakes and improves.

Us. We've kept the faith even knowing this wasn't going to be the greatest of seasons.

Worrisome:

Courtney Lee. While he's had a fine season and shown he is a legit starter,he also hasn't shown he isn't going to be a scorer. He is another very good complementary player,which is fine,but on a team needing a star,he's a player w/a skillset that isn't enough. Unless the Rockets acquire a 20ppg inside big man or Parsons emerges as a dominant player,I really question Lee's future fit,esp for the money he will want.
              Considering there are two guards in the Draft(Terrence Ross,Doron Lamb) who appear to have Lee's strengths and weaknesses,it would not be too surprising if the team decided to replace him w/a cheaper,younger version.
              W/Parsons on the team,replacements available in the Draft,I would not be shocked to see Lee moved in a sign-n-trade,though I think it's more likely he is kept.

Yikes:

Houston Centers. Dalembert has broken down w/shocking speed. Camby is closer to 40 than 35 and his body is betraying his will. The team needs a talented youth infusion. Considering how effective Scola has looked when he's teamed w/a big who blocks shots,rebounds and chips in a few points,I can almost talk myself into the team chasing McGee.(Almost.) I have a sneaking suspicion the team is going to take a hard look at Robin Lopez.

Kevin Martin. Can we finally put to rest the "he isn't injury prone,he's just unlucky" argument?
              It's safe to say Martin is not in the Rockets' future plans as there is no way they give him an extension or a new contract. The only question is does he get traded before or during next season.
              A good player,much better moving the ball than I thought,just not an impact player. The Rockets are a little over .500 when he plays,a little over .500 when he's out injured.

Terrence Williams.

#10 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 4,125 posts
              • Locationhouston

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:38 PM

Stephen:
              As a loyal rockets fan I have to agree on a lot of points, I don't see what you see in parsons. I do think he will be a good player, but more in a battier kind of way. he will never be an elite scorer. same for lee(he will never be an elite scorer). unless you have a big man putting up a double/double you need an elite scorer in one of those positions.

#11 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 338 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:05 AM

Rockets best fan,
                What I see in Parsons is potential on the offensive side.
                He can get a shot off whenever he wants and is able to get into the lane at will. Not many players can do this. The problem is one of mentality.
                Scorers want to score and will demand the ball and take the shot,no matter how poorly they've been shooting. Stars want to have the game in their hands. The knock on Chandler in college was that while he might have the tools,he lacked the will/ego/whatever to become a star.
                That's the same question now. As is he's an excellent complementary player,offering superb defense w/great fundamentals. If that's his ceiling,that's not too bad :) (Although it raises the question do the Rockets want to start two such players,one at $7mil or so a year?)
                OTOH,if that proverbial switch is flipped,he has the tools to be a 20/5/5 player who can also defend the other team's best player. If-and it's a huge if-he can become that player,the Rockets will have one of the stars they need.

As I write this the Rockets have just lost to the Heat. Beyond the crushing of my Play-Off hopes,it was fascinating to watch Parsons in the last couple of minutes. He came back into the game w/a few minutes left and HE WANTED THE BALL! He wasn't afraid of taking the shot,where the other Rockets seemed to shrink from the ball. Whether it was from the bench or Dragic sensed it,the team kept giving the ball to Parsons.(I don't want to read too much into this,as it could just be Parsons wanting to play well in his home State or facing LeBron got him amped,but it might be the first indicator that Chandler found the wall the switch is on.)

#12 Voecklen

Voecklen

• Members
                • Pip
                • 26 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:42 AM

Ok, since in some ways this is addressed to me I'll answer. Ther

There are really two points here. The first is the "true fan" thing and the second is the good that happened this season. I'll discuss the first one now and the second tomorrow.

The true fan thing comes from your continuing rhetoric that the Rockets should tank. OK, I can live with it early in the season. You don't really understand the Rockets are too good to tank. I get it. But when there are only five games left in the season with the Rockets still in the playoff hunt and you still post articles advocating such, all I can see is someone trying to "prove" his point. What possible benefit can come from moving up one spot in the draft versus making the playoffs and the benefits that come with that? I'm sorry but no true fan would advocate such. (A minor aside. No real fan would be caught missing the about five minutes of the second half when they are live blogging.)

This is the genesis of my true fan comment. You have an ax to grind. Bad ax.

#13 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                  • 1,547 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:12 AM

What possible benefit can come from moving up one spot in the draft versus making the playoffs and the benefits that come with that?

The Rockets at that point, after having completely melted down during the losing streak, had shown they were not in any state to do much of anything in a playoff series. I'm sorry, but I don't see any benefit to making the playoffs by default, backing in by beating bad teams at the tail end of the year.

As far as the possible benefits of one spot - Brandon Roy says hello. He was the Rockets' target in 2006 and had they not won a meaningless game down the stretch at Denver by playing their vets heavy minutes, they would have had him.

I'm sorry but no true fan would advocate such.

This "true fan" rhetoric is so trite and nonsensical. Because I care about the long-term future of my team and prefer that well-being over some short-term, fleeting gratification, it doesn't make me any less of a "fan."

#14 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
                    • 1,567 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:53 AM

1) Unfortunately, Chandler Parsons had a great season and he still doesn't show up on David Thorpe's top 10 most potential list, even as a honorable mention. So I don't know how much we can really say we got out of that - weren't we saying the same things about Budinger just a few years ago? 2) Agreed. Now we have to lock him up. I'm afraid that may require a Lowry trade (more on that later). 3) Are you sure about this? How can we say this is a winning backcourt when we lost the games that mattered the most? However, on your "developing core" topic, if Lee and Dragic really are the backcourt of the future, with Parsons on the wing, then yes, we did gain learning experience this year. On to your negatives: 1) Very disappointing. Actually, all of our big men regressed this year - not a good sign for McHale, a Hall of Fame big man that many of us were hoping would improve our big men this year. 2) Are you sure his value went down that much? I know his production was down some, but I think everyone knows what he is, and he proved he can still play at a fairly high level. Also, now there is one year less on his contract, which makes him a more palatable trade asset. 3) This one is one where Morey really let his value get away, unfortunately. And coming off a shoulder injury, his value is probably a 2nd round pick at best (not too bad when Morey has the pick). 4) Have to disagree with you on Marcus Morris. Just being on an NBA roster for a full season helps development, and don't forget, there was no offseason. This year was almost his offseason. I'm interested to see what he can do next year. Even so, we should have picked Kawhi Leonard - I think that's obvious right now (though then Parsons might not have had a chance). 5) This one is so weird. At the beginning of the year, he was a budding allstar who could play second fiddle on a championship team. Then the team's offense completely changed without him, and now we're not sure what he is. 6) Time lost against what? Our lives? This makes it sound like we have a superstar who's clock is ticking and we're not putting players around him. For the most part, I was entertained this year - that's what made the end so bad, is that everyone (who followed the season) really enjoyed this team and set high expectations. All in all, it's really hard to see where to go from here. I think trading Scola, Martin, and yes, even Lowry, needs to happen this offseason and somehow we need to keep Dragic and Lee. We'd go into next year with a starting 5 of Dragic, Lee, Parsons, Patterson, and Camby, which is again a fringe playoff contender. The hope is that trading those three would give us a starting 3 or 4 who can really help us win, and then Parsons or Patterson becomes the glue guy off the bench. I'd like to see if our overseas players can contribute next year - if Llull and Motiejunas can play significant minutes, we'll have a super young team that is at least intriguing. The unfortunate thing is that Morey's job has to be getting hot. Les Alexander doesn't like to lose, and this year had to especially sting. The last two years we knew all year long it would be a struggle. This year, we had the inside track, and lost it. Next year the West will be even stronger: Thunder are only going to get better Lakers will be older, but Bynum seems to be filling any gaps there. Grizzlies are probably the same next year Clippers will probably improve Mavericks may slow down some Spurs may slow down some (never counting them out) Nuggets will probably be about the same T-wolves are only going to get better Jazz are only going to get better Warriors are a wild card Suns depend on Nash - probably they fall to the bottom of the West New Orleans stays at the bottom Kings will stay at the bottom Trailblazers will be at the bottom Without some serious help at the 3 and 4 especially, we are only going to slip in the standings.

Chandler isn't Budinger, he has a much higher ceiling and his biggest problem is shooting when he's open instead of passing off. Once he realizes he's going to have to shoot to stay on the court he will flip that switch much like Stephen said. The fact that he didn't make an ESPN article on top ten potential is meaningless, it aggravates us all nevertheless.
                      2. Agreed, lock him up, FOR THE RIGHT PRICE. In my opinion he isn't head and shoulders above Lowry so much so that we have to overpay just to keep him, after all there is a reason Lowry earned his starting spot.
                      3. Agreed. If Lee and Parsons are the future we gained much needed experience. The more I think about it, I see no way to keep Lee. We don't have enough scoring threats as it is, and of the two Parsons is the better defender. Don't get me wrong I would love to keep Lee, but he won't be willing to be a bench player or even a 6th man at this point.

going to skip to only the negatives I disagree with or have something to add.

3. I think Martin has higher value than a 2nd rounder, even if only because a team wants expiring contracts. Im a firm believer that part of his poor performance when he played, and why he never made it back on court were because of his hurt feelings.
                      4. Wish you would've left out that last bit about picking Kawhi Leonard, with Leonard you knew what you were going to get but there wasnt much more reward to look toward. An offseason and some more playing time and Morris has potential.
                      6. Lol.

Who are you proposing we trade for? You mentioned trading Scola, Martin, and Lowry, thats a lot of value(I say we let Dally walk too). The starting lineup you list doesnt mention which position you'd like for us to trade for, Ill assume the 5 as Camby would have some trouble with a full season starting at this point.

About Voecklen's comment: Rahat, you're not a true fan because you want your team to improve as quickly as possible, lol. What a joke, I hate seeing my team lose, but the way Rahat explained his "tanking" was to play our kids as much as possible in hopes for them to gain the experience necessary for them to improve, without the object of losing purposefully. Instead we find ourselves at pick 14(AGAIN) with only one rookie truly evaluated(Parsons), and only because of injury did we find that Dragic was full of starter talent, and that Lee could handle the start.

Hoping for big things during this offseason, looking forward to it.

#15 Voecklen

Voecklen

• Members
                      • Pip
                      • 26 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:47 PM

The Rockets at that point, after having completely melted down during the losing streak, had shown they were not in any state to do much of anything in a playoff series. I'm sorry, but I don't see any benefit to making the playoffs by default, backing in by beating bad teams at the tail end of the year.

As far as the possible benefits of one spot - Brandon Roy says hello. He was the Rockets' target in 2006 and had they not won a meaningless game down the stretch at Denver by playing their vets heavy minutes, they would have had him.

[/font][/color]
                        This "true fan" rhetoric is so trite and nonsensical. Because I care about the long-term future of my team and prefer that well-being over some short-term, fleeting gratification, it doesn't make me any less of a "fan."

What is trite and nonsensical is your notion that making the playoffs is not significant. There are so many benefits I would think it would be obvious. I'll let you figure them out. Just because you gave up on the team doesn't mean they should.

As to the random Brandon Roy comment, is that supposed to mean anything? You can always find examples like that. What if's are wonderfully worthless. Hindsight is one hell of a drug. The point is essentially meaningless.

You're not a real fan because you have an axe to grind. You want to be proven correct with your tanking theories, however flawed, even if it means the team would suffer.

#16 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                        • 4,125 posts
                        • Locationhouston

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

What is trite and nonsensical is your notion that making the playoffs is not significant. There are so many benefits I would think it would be obvious. I'll let you figure them out. Just because you gave up on the team doesn't mean they should.

As to the random Brandon Roy comment, is that supposed to mean anything? You can always find examples like that. What if's are wonderfully worthless. Hindsight is one hell of a drug. The point is essentially meaningless.

You're not a real fan because you have an axe to grind. You want to be proven correct with your tanking theories, however flawed, even if it means the team would suffer.

I couldn't disagree more. I was pulling for the rockets to make the playoffs to, but they were only going to get chase out in the first round. when we get into the playoffs I hope its with a real chance to do damage, not just show up. I can clearly see the benifit of missing the playoffs though. keeping our draft pick this year can be big depending on how we use it. if we are able to make a bold move (such as land howard) would it not have been worth it? I'm against tanking also, but you must face the facts. the rockets are just not good enough the way they are constructed. we need help and we may finally be in position to do something about it.

#17 bob schmidt

bob schmidt

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 103 posts
                        • LocationBrownsville, Texas

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:39 PM

In response to Rahat's original post: I'm trying to think of what positives came from this season. Here is what comes to mind:

1. Chandler Parsons

1. Patterson regressed

Yes, Chandler Parsons did emerge. He was a solid performer blessed with the emotional edge that McHale inserted him as a starter which was great positive input from the coach...

Yes to point two, Dragic did emerge as a potential starter which begs the question of how to use him and Lowry together, or lose one of them...

A winning backcourt, Dragic and Lee? Only if we have exceptional talent in the other three starting positions, IMO. Lee's numbers (Hollinger PER) rank him below more than 50% of other SGs in the NBA, and do not bode well for a really good backcourt. It is hard for me to imagine that he will one day add 10 points per game to his average offensive output. However, he is a great backup if we can afford to keep him...

As to the negatives from this season, Patterson not only regressed, he did not earn his floor minutes during the last part of the season. Both his scoring and rebounding were well below what should have been expected. Morris did not impress me in his limited minutes this year. Since both players are on smallish contracts, they are worth working with but must improve a lot to contribute to the team's success in the future.

Looking towards next year, it seems to me that Dragic should be signed and plugged into the SG starting role. Martin will obviously be traded, and Lee may have to decide if he can live with a non-starting role. Budinger needs to be firmly inserted into the rotation as the team's elite shooter. His unpredictable usage adversely affected him this year, but he fought through it and improved his defensive play in the process. His season stats (Hollinger) place him firmly in the top 1/3 of SFs in the NBA, not bad for a guy whose usage was ill-defined all season.

I am also highly impressed with Greg Smith. I think that he has a good future in the league, and is worth special attention by the coaches. Hopefully, Montie will join us this summer and perhaps a couple of good draft prospects. Meanwhile, we will see what may come our way via trade or free agent signings...

#18 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                        • 1,547 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:25 PM

Then state them out and make your case. The use of loaded labels in lieu of logic is trite and childish argumentation.

Actually, examples like that are and do mean something. You made the point that one draft spot is irrelevant. I countered with an example disproving your point. You then conceded that there are other examples that can be found, furthering weakening your own point. What hindsight has anything to do with this is beyond me - the point is in using historical basis to illustrate the value of draft spots.

LOL. Ok. If you spent as much time telling me why it's flawed as you have on attacking me, you'd have somewhat of an argument.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users