Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Random Houston Rockets related notes for this fine February afternoon

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:20 PM

New post: Random Houston Rockets related notes for this fine February afternoon
    By: Rahat Huq

• If this were last year, I'd have immediately available at my fingertips pinpointed data demonstrative of why and how Patrick Beverley has been a disaster defensively during this recent stretch.  But Synergy no longer provides its service to bloggers, so I'm left with trends from last season and my mind's attempt to patch together the eye test.  Why is Beverley getting roasted just about every night nowadays?  Last year's data revealed that he struggled against the pick and roll, so maybe teams are using that against him more.  Maybe he's still injured, but still defending just as aggressively, and getting burned instead of backing off a bit the way most guys would.  I don't know what it is, but coupled with his abysmal shooting numbers (Beverley has shot 35% on 3's in both January and February), the team is basically playing 4 on 1 whenever he is on the court.  You could posit that he's injured, and will revert to his normal self, but do you want to commit long term money to a guy who is seemingly always injured and a guy who apparently requires peak physical condition for effectiveness?  The situation sucks because 1) I said months ago that Beverley was the perfect fit next to Harden, 2) the team desperately needs an upgrade at the point guard spot, 3) I don't know if they'll retain him, and 4) how could they retain him?  In failing to sign Chris Bosh, Houston prolonged the holding pattern they've been in for what seems like perpetuity whereby they can't extend anyone for the preservation of flexibility.  That'll be the case again with Beverley, and if they let him go, that's yet another piece of the nucleus I thought they were building upon, gone.  Until the Rockets find that "third star", they're not going to be able to focus on continuity.
    • With Dwight Howard's current state, it's beginning to look like the model will need to be, rather than "three stars", "James Harden and a lot of other capable guys."
    • If Houston can tread water out West in Dwight's absence--and they should be able to--it should wrap up the MVP award for James Harden.  So naturally--as I quipped on Twitter--Steph Curry will win the award.
    • I consume a lot of Rockets discussion in different places and I have one thing to say.  If you would trade Donatas Motiejunas for anything less than a star big man, you don't understand basketball.
    • As we mused on the recent podcast, what do the Rockets do now with the Pelicans pick?  The team is in a strange position because a) they seem to hold the most valuable trade asset remaining on the market and b) there is no market and c) that aforementioned asset diminishes in value (to them) after this season.  Are they really going to just hold onto it and add another rookie to the mix next season?  When they're supposedly in "win now" mode?  Unfortunately, unless someone unexpectedly becomes available, that might be the smartest course of action, given Dwight's condition.  We all hate waiting, but we should know by now that Morey will never panic.  If he feels its not the time, he'll just keep holding on.

#2 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 373 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:25 AM

An excellent analysis as always. There are about 30 players in the NBA that I would trade D-Mo for. Is there any other big in the game ever that could play great paint defense, shoot 40% from behind the arc and be a boss post up threat?

I personally have watched and re-watched every Rockets game. IMHO Bev does not have the acceleration that he had earlier in the season. I must assume that he has a nagging injury that needs time to heal. LMA is not taking time off to heal. I assume Bev is not either.

The NOP pick. I have no idea. We will see what Morey, at his Machiavellian best, does with it.

#3 brewboss

brewboss

• Members
      • Pip
      • 6 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 01:59 AM

Why not replace Beverley with Brewer in the starting lineup? Brewer does just about everything that this version of Beverley does, but better. He can handle, shoot, and can at least come close to staying in front of quick guards on defense, plus he gives us a better option to switch on pick and rolls. McHale has gone with Brewer and Harden as the two guards a number of times, and I think this may be the best option. Beverley would basically replace Brewer's bench role, so hopefully he would do a better job against backups, and maybe could play fewer minutes.

#4 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,290 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 03:06 AM

I don't see why we couldn't resign bev, not a huge market for backup pgs coming off a seemingly down year. Give him 3-4mill a year and get a solid starter for around 10. Or if they manage to bring in a star, let him go and hit the bargain bin for a backup.

#5 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 168 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:13 AM

I get (and share) the Beverley frustration, but I don't think we can write him off this quickly. He's slumped for sure, but only really for the last month. In this unnecessarily long season, that can happen. A nagging injury is a possibility.

When he's himself, he's a valuable tool. He's improved every season, and I'm not ready to say that slump-Bev is the only Bev we're ever gonna see again. If it persists however, then it becomes another issue, obviously.

Anyways, I'm unsure about the pick. Its value diminishes in the offseason, but meh, it's still something that can be a significant part of a deal to get us a backcourt playmaker. But, in general, I'm thinking that next season is much more likely to be our "all in" season...

#6 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 373 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:21 AM

Why not replace Beverley with Brewer in the starting lineup? Brewer does just about everything that this version of Beverley does, but better. He can handle, shoot, and can at least come close to staying in front of quick guards on defense, plus he gives us a better option to switch on pick and rolls. McHale has gone with Brewer and Harden as the two guards a number of times, and I think this may be the best option. Beverley would basically replace Brewer's bench role, so hopefully he would do a better job against backups, and maybe could play fewer minutes.

Brewer is certainly not quick enough to handle point guards in the NBA. Not by a long shot. He is 6-9 and is a SF or large SG. Do you want to foul out D-Mo in 10 minutes of play attempting to contain the penetration?

#7 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
              • 4,133 posts
              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:43 PM

An excellent analysis as always. There are about 30 players in the NBA that I would trade D-Mo for. Is there any other big in the game ever that could play great paint defense, shoot 40% from behind the arc and be a boss post up threat?

I personally have watched and re-watched every Rockets game. IMHO Bev does not have the acceleration that he had earlier in the season. I must assume that he has a nagging injury that needs time to heal. LMA is not taking time off to heal. I assume Bev is not either.

The NOP pick. I have no idea. We will see what Morey, at his Machiavellian best, does with it.

Arvydas Sabonis probably comes closest.  Mehmet Okur didn't have the post game, but comes close.  Rasheed Wallace also came close.

They are few and far between--that's for sure.  D-Mo is up to 34% on threes for the season and has shot 40% since Dec. 1st. (31 games).

I'm less concerned about the acquisition of the "third star".  Assuming D-Mo continues to maintain and slightly improve over the next 2 years of his contract I'd say we've got one in him.  He may not be a "star", but he will contribute like one and that's what matters.

Morey is going to find a PG upgrade one way or the other.  It may not be until the off season, but it's coming.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users