Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Every Time a Door Closes...

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,133 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:21 PM

We all know that James Harden's MVP candidacy is being overshadowed by Steph Curry's charm and Golden State's W/L record.  So, maybe this Dwight Howard injury has a silver lining.  If James can keep us rolling along while Dwight is out (again) I think voter's will have to take notice.  Especially when people look at any other number than total W/L.

This guy spells it out thoroughly, concisely, and accurately in this article.  LINK

Even more concise is this graphic here:

That graphic excludes lots of other good stuff, but it certainly helps paint a picture.

What do you guys think?  Can Harden edge out Curry or does the trophy already have his name on it?

#2 bob schmidt

bob schmidt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationBrownsville, Texas

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:28 PM

I think that the MVP trophy is Hardens to win at this point. Their stats are amazingly alike by any way I can find to analyze, with one exception. Curry has a stronger supporting cast than Harden does, which favors Harden. While Curry is poetry in motion with his shooting and playmaking, Harden is like a Mack truck in terms of durability. At some point, I expect that to be a consideration. I see Curry as one ankle sprain away from keeping up with Harden. Even if the ankles do hold up, Curry's slight frame remind me of Kevin Martin, who always seemed to fade towards the end of each season from fatigue. Body type and durability may tip this award into Harden's hands...

There is another consideration in my mind... Houston needs to pretty nearly mirror Golden State in the playoffs. If either team goes one and out while the other goes deeply into the playoffs, all bets are off. Whichever man can play Moses and lead his people to the promised land will obviously become the MVP. I like our odds as the playoffs arrive, providing injuries don't deal us a bad hand...

#3 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:11 AM

I think that the MVP trophy is Hardens to win at this point. Their stats are amazingly alike by any way I can find to analyze, with one exception. Curry has a stronger supporting cast than Harden does, which favors Harden. While Curry is poetry in motion with his shooting and playmaking, Harden is like a Mack truck in terms of durability. At some point, I expect that to be a consideration. I see Curry as one ankle sprain away from keeping up with Harden. Even if the ankles do hold up, Curry's slight frame remind me of Kevin Martin, who always seemed to fade towards the end of each season from fatigue. Body type and durability may tip this award into Harden's hands...

There is another consideration in my mind... Houston needs to pretty nearly mirror Golden State in the playoffs. If either team goes one and out while the other goes deeply into the playoffs, all bets are off. Whichever man can play Moses and lead his people to the promised land will obviously become the MVP. I like our odds as the playoffs arrive, providing injuries don't deal us a bad hand...

mvp voting is due before the playoffs.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#4 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:38 AM

I, for one, have always been confused by the narrative surrounding MVP discussions. When I think of the most valuable player on a basketball team, I'm thinking of, quite literally, the player that brings the most value to that team.

I never understood or agreed with the narrative that the MVP has to come from the 1 or 2 seed. Now, I think the team that the MVP comes from should be a winning team (over .500 and in the playoffs). But when I hear people in the media saying Curry clearly eclipses Harden at this point because the Warriors are the number 1 seed, it's like they're forgetting that the Rockets are in the 3/4/5 range.

The impressiveness of their numbers is pretty similar. But, if they were removed from their respective teams, a Harden-sized hole in the Rockets is larger than a Curry-sized hole in the Warriors. IMO, very significantly larger. So, Harden brings more value to the Rockets than Curry does to the Warriors, or any player in the league does to his team.

That said, I think Curry will win it. Maybe the dominant media narrative knows something I don't know about MVP candidacy...

#5 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 475 posts
    • LocationHouston

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:04 AM

no i agree with you cointurtlemoose, i think it comes down to the voters (aka media) sees mvp one of 3 ways (in order from least common to most common i believe)

1) Best talent in nba in said season (anthony davis probably so far)

2) If you removed that player from his team; would create the biggest impact/hole (Harden, maybe LBJ)

3) Best player on the Best Team (Curry cause the Hawks don't have a 'best' player though the answer is horford when healthy to that imo).

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#6 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 548 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 01:54 PM

What kind of effect do you think the emergence of Klay Thompson has in this race? When I watch GS, I constantly question who is the best player between the two. 

#7 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 2,597 posts
      • LocationAlabama

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:08 PM

What do you all think about Lebron winning it?

Why so Serious? :D

#8 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,133 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:10 PM

What kind of effect do you think the emergence of Klay Thompson has in this race? When I watch GS, I constantly question who is the best player between the two. 

It's a good question.  Whenever I consider things like this I try to imagine them on a team with little to nothing else around them and think about how they would look.  That really separates the men from the boys.

First, let's look at Klay's ridiculous shot chart.

If I were him, I'd have this printed out and hung on my refrigerator like a kid's crayon-scribbled dinosaur drawing.

What is more telling is how many of his shots are assisted.  51% of his 2 pt. fg's are assisted and 88% of his threes are assisted.  That is a big deal.

Your question is absolutely relevant to the MVP race.  Imagine if Harden had Klay beside him instead of Beverley and Curry had Bev instead of Klay.  (is everyone else drooling a little at this thought?).  Pretty sure we'd be 38-7 (or thereabouts) too if we had that 1-2 scoring punch.

I hate to dote on any GS player, but Klay plays his role to perfection.  He knocks down his open looks, makes smart cuts, finishes well at the rim (71%fg at the rim), and even features a passable mid-range game.  Oh, and there is his solid defense.

I think what will ultimately sink Harden's MVP bid is that 0-4 record against his counterpart in the race.  I think the voters will make that matter.  Should it?  I don't know....maybe a little.  One has to presume a lot of people tuned into to see those games and watch the two MVP candidates go head-to-head.  Unfortunately for James, in those 4 games he averaged 25, 5, and 5 while shooting 24% from deep and 41% overall.  (this was largely due to that 12 pt, 4 reb, 4 ast game).

Meanwhile, Curry put up 26 pts, 6.5 reb, and 8.3 ast in the 4 games against us while shooting 58% from the field and 52% from deep.  :(  Only Miami has allowed Steph a higher cumulative fg% this season.  These things leave lasting impressions.

I agree that it should be taken into account what Curry is playing with compared to Harden.  The reality is, both players are extremely talented and the only difference is their teams.  If Harden were on the Warriors and Curry on the Rockets then it would be James getting all the love and Curry who would be the most deserving.

As much as Klay might take votes away from Curry I think it has to be noted that Curry has a hand in how well Klay is playing.  They aren't independent of one another.

#9 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,133 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:19 PM

What do you all think about Lebron winning it?

Personally, I think it should go to Chris Paul.  The Clippers would crumble without him.  He's averaging 17.7 points, 9.6 assists, 1.9 steals, 4.8 rebounds, and 2.2 turnovers while shooting 40% from deep and 47% overall all in 34.5 mpg.  His per36 numbers boost him to averaging a double double with 18 and 10.

The Clips would be in the lottery without him and Blake Griffin would be what Kevin Love was up until his move to Cleveland--everyone's favorite trade target.

#10 kdo

kdo

• Members
      • Pip
      • 29 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:59 PM

Objectively, Harden.

My measure is simply this:

Curry has way better teammates and a deeper bench.

If Harden and Curry switched teams, would the records stay the same? That's how I measure it.

#11 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,290 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 10:55 PM

Its harder to imagine Klay carrying a team like we have seen harden and curry do in the past. Maybe he can but since we don't really know I think that hurts him. Ever since lebron took those two weeks off he's been classic lebron which is always a serious mvp candiate but voter fatigue and the cavs record compared to expectations might be too much to overcome. Cp3 has been doing his thing even though the clips started slow if they break into the top 3 at the end of the year he's a got a great case.

#12 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPipPip
          • 671 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 02:10 AM

There is a reason Thompsons get those open looks. Curry gets so much attention when he has the ball that they have to leave everybody else open. His creates space for everyone else because he can shot, dish or attack the rim. Harden does the same thing but there is a difference in style. Harden would drive to the lane and has a decent midrange, but he isn't shooting well so you can kind of sag dare him to shoot 3s. GS might have a deeper squad than us, but so do we. We have 2 amazing young PFs, 2 3and D SF, 2 all star caliber veterans. Its hard to differentiate between the teams. Klay Thompson basically plays Bevs role but is just on a complete different level at both ends of the floor.

Except for Curry they don't really have another good initiator on offence. He carries a huge load same as Harden, so its a toss up except that Curry plays for the better team. 

Lebron should get consideration as well. Cavs has a decent record and could get to the 2nd seed quite easily. They are gelling and you saw the record when he was out injured how important he is. If he dial it up a notch in 2nd half of the season like he has the past 3 weeks. He might win it again, depending on Curry and Harden's performances.

#13 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
            • 4,133 posts
            • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:18 PM

Did anybody watch the GS-DAL game that came on after the HOU-CHI game last night?  That is why Curry is going to get the MVP.  The difference between Curry and Harden, at least visually, is roughly the equivalent of this:

2637984_o.gif

He shot 16-26 overall (including 10-16 from deep...and many were very deep), along with 9-11 free throws, and 4 assists for 51 points....and he made it look like child's play.  Considering most voters are going to rely on the eye test and overall team success Harden doesn't stand much of a chance.

#14 txtdo1411

txtdo1411

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 197 posts
            • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:40 PM

Did anybody watch the GS-DAL game that came on after the HOU-CHI game last night?  That is why Curry is going to get the MVP.  The difference between Curry and Harden, at least visually, is roughly the equivalent of this:

2637984_o.gif

He shot 16-26 overall (including 10-16 from deep...and many were very deep), along with 9-11 free throws, and 4 assists for 51 points....and he made it look like child's play.  Considering most voters are going to rely on the eye test and overall team success Harden doesn't stand much of a chance.

That SNL skit is one of my favorites! There is no better gif you could have chosen to further prove your point. I agree with you JG. It is Curry's award to lose at this point. On the bright side, Harden should be without a doubt in the top 3. He still is making people eat crow after multiple media outlets made satirical stories about him saying he was the best player in the world.

#15 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 2,008 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 11:45 PM

I agree. Curry is Farley and Harden Is he other guy.

#16 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
              • 4,133 posts
              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:11 PM

I agree. Curry is Farley and Harden Is he other guy.

That "other guy" is Patrick Swayze!!!  Come on!  He's Dalton!!!

punch-in-road-house-o.gif

Getting back on topic, I saw this little tidbit from Tony Allen talking about defending Harden:

But one guy I haven't figured all the way out yet is James Harden. He's pretty crafty. I'm not impressed with his ball-handling, but his finishing skills are scary. Even though he's lefty, if he goes right he's going to put the ball out and get the foul. It's kind of tough because you don't want to get a foul called. And once you get your first or second foul, you kind of ease up. [...]

LINK

#17 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 2,008 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:30 PM

I knew who Swayze was. Just couldn't spell it. I have stolen the poetry making scene.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users