Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

KEVIN MC HALE (WHAT DO WE DO WITH HIM)

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,125 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:25 PM

hello
I have seen a lot of talk about what should or shouldn't be done with just about every player on this team but not much dicussion about the coach. So I thought I would toss the subject out there. I must say up front that I didn't like the signing of Mc Hale, but tried to stay away from some of my preconcieved ideas about him. I wanted him to do well because I love me some rockets. Now that the season is almost over, I have seen enough of him to form an opinion on him. The rockets should let him go. He does not know enough about coaching to help us. I know some of you will say look at the injuries we had this year. I say he didn't get any more out of this team than rick did last year. we are where we are in the standing because of how deep this team was in wing players. I watched both games against denver and I saw his most glaring flaws. He does not run combinations of players well and he has no abitily to play matchups in a game to exploit the other teams weakness. I try not to get to high or to low on any one game, but it was like these 2 games shined a spotlight on him and he melted. I saw a team that lost it's edge because it's coach didn't know what to do. Regardless of what players we do or don't get the first move this off season should be to find us a good coach. What do you think?

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#2 pharmag

pharmag

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:03 PM

I don't know about that. One of the rotations I have seen him critcized the most for running the Scola/Patterson frontcourt (prior to the Camby trade); however, Scola/Dalembert offers a guy with no defense paired with a guy with no offense. Patterson's defense may not be quite as good as Dalembert and his offense isn't quite as good as Scola's, but he is actually a threat at both ends of the floor.

As for the recent slide, looking at the last two streaks (the 4-game win streak and the 4 game losing streak), I have noticed 1 HUGE disparity. During the 4 game win streak, the Rockets shot 31-71 (.436) from 3-point land, with only the Sacramento game being below .400 (but they only took 13 3-pointers). In the 4 game losing streak, they have shot 26-94 (.276) with only the @Denver game being over .300 and only the Phoenix game seeing less than 20 3-pointers taken (a meager 19). I think this is why the Rockets see slides like this. The Rockets look a lot like a poor mans version Orlando magic of a few years ago (Finals run). They do not have guys that can get their own shots in the paint (Howard wasn't much more than a defender rebounder for Magic in their run). Instead they thrive off drive and kick three-point shooting to open up the paint. When the 3-point shot is falling, you see lots of easier shots in the paint and a higher overall shooting percentage. When the 3 point shot isn't falling, the defense can collapse on the paint and make it difficult to finish at the rim. That is what we have seen exhibited in this Houston Rockets squad during the last 8 games.

All that being said, I don't know if you can use this season as a judgement on McHale. You say he hasn't performed any better than Rick, but I think he has because Rick had an All-Star caliber Martin at his disposal. Even when he has been healthy this year, Martin has been the most inconsistent player on the squad.

#3 sircharles

sircharles

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 283 posts
    • LocationAustin Tx

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:09 PM

i say we actually give him a off season with his players before we make any judgements.....id love to see the player patterson turns in to after being able to work with mchale over the summer. he did a pretty incredible job this year with being a brand new coach and not having any sort of off season to work with everyone.

#4 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,125 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:26 PM

pharmag:
    Interesting point of view. I agree that shooting is part of the problem probably due to tired legs in the last 4 games, but this last game against denver I don't care what the situation is scola and patterson should (as chris tucker would say NEVER.....EVER EVER EVER) be in the game at the same time. you have no one to protect the rim (not that dalambert is much better ) but he did have seven block shots in that game up to that point. You can not allow the other team to dictate tempo of the game. this is what I mean when I say the combination of players. as for matchups he allowed no one to matchup against cory brewer who had 11 points in the 4th quater until it was to almost to late.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#5 pharmag

pharmag

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 263 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:59 PM

rockets best fan:

I think though that the reason he goes with that combination is because while Patterson is not a shot blocker in the sense that Dalembert is, he is a much better defensive player than Dalembert is an offensive player. When one of your post players is a liability on offense, it kills your offensive flow, and makes you even more of a jump shooting team (which they weren't making anyway). Besides, hindsight is 20-20 and that line-up has worked in the past. What you can look to is the fact that the Rockets took 29 3-pointers last night and only made 8 of them. If your not making them (even when your wide open) then that's a problem. You can get mad at McHale for that closing line-up, but despite it the Rockets only lost by 3 points (and the missed 21 3-pointers over the course of the game).

#6 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,125 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:33 PM

pharmag:
      you might get away with that line up on the bobcats or the raptors but not denver. any good coach would know that especially in the 4th quater. in the 2 games we played them what did they score in the 4th quater? going down to closing time it a game it's usually the team who can stop the other team from scoring that wins

#7 pharmag

pharmag

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 263 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:49 PM

To some extent, I would agree, but Dalembert played all but the last 2:43 of the third (which we started with a 7 point lead), and by the time he went to the bench, the Nuggets had scored 23 of the 31 points they scored that quarter(~2.5 points/minute) while the last 14:43 with Scola and Patterson allowed the nuggets to score 38 points (~2.6 points/minute). However, on the offensive side of the ball, the Rockets scored 17 points in Dalembert's 9:17 minutes of the third (1.8 points/minute), while the Rockets scored 34 points with Scola and Patterson on the floor in the final 14:43 (2.3 points/minute). This is the statistical representation that I was getting at. The drop off defensively (at least in looking at the clip at which the opposing team scores) is more than offset by the increase offensively (looking at the rate at which the Rockets score). Granted this isn't concrete representation as their are other variables such as who else has been substituted, but it is still rather remarkable and may be the reason McHale chooses to go with this line-up. Sure, you may be able to stop teams more often than not when Dalembert is on the court, but what does it matter when just having him on the court sees your own offensive decline similarly.

#8 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 4,125 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:59 PM

pharmag:

I know we are only talking about 2 games but these are traits I have been watching all year. I know he didn't have a proper training camp with these guys. I know we had injuries. but these are basic coaching moves. if you can't handle the small stuff then I can't trust you with the big stuff. he just doesn't make good decisions. I still believe we won this year because of our overall depth at the wing positions. sometimes you can't go with stats you have to go with your gut feelings. also I do feel this is where the rockets need that closing type of player so that you can have a defensive lineup on the floor. I got a sick feeling when I saw camby go down. I knew we were in trouble.

#9 pharmag

pharmag

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 263 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:09 PM

I am in no way advocating McHale's decision as the correct decision. Just trying to imagine where he might be coming from. If this hadn't been a lock-out shortened year that not only left you with no offseason, but also left little time between games to correct things and implement new things, then I might be in more agreement with you. That being said, that is not the case and I think he deserves the opportunity to go through those things with these guys and see what he has got. He may not always make the best decisions, but the one thing he does that Rick never seemed to do is bench the guys who aren't playing well/aren't trying. Also, (and perhaps to a fault) he lets the bench stay out their if they are playing better than the starters. Watching Adelman, it didn't matter if the bench was the reason you were even in the game...when that 8 minute mark hit it was all starters on the floor.

#10 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 4,125 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

pharmag:
          I agree he may pan out and learn these things as we go or he may never learn and that if the rockets do decide to keep him we could do worse. I'm just saying we may not have time for him to learn how to coach. there are better coaches available on the market this year than last year.

#11 pharmag

pharmag

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 263 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:35 PM

I don't keep up with coaching so much, so who is coming available?

#12 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 4,125 posts
            • Locationhouston

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:54 PM

pharmag:
            nate mcmilliaan, stan van gundy, will probably will be top 2 also I would be all for it if they pursued jeff van gundy again

#13 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPipPip
            • 548 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

I don't know... I think McHale's done a pretty good job with what he's had to work with. What I like about him versus RA was that RA always stuck to his predetermined rotations even when someone was ice cold and ineffective. I like that McHale is quick to sub if someone isn't pulling his own weight. If in the offseason we were able to pick up that elusive superstar, McHale's mentality could be detrimental to a big ego, which as Howard has shown constantly needs to be stroked in order for that player to give 100%..

#14 pharmag

pharmag

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 263 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:45 PM

I don't know... I think McHale's done a pretty good job with what he's had to work with. What I like about him versus RA was that RA always stuck to his predetermined rotations even when someone was ice cold and ineffective. I like that McHale is quick to sub if someone isn't pulling his own weight. If in the offseason we were able to pick up that elusive superstar, McHale's mentality could be detrimental to a big ego, which as Howard has shown constantly needs to be stroked in order for that player to give 100%..

That's why I like McHale more than RA. Also, I would like to add that if no one is pulling their weight, he will let the deep bench go in (ala Jeff Adrien in Portland right before he was released). RA never gave those guys opportunities unless the team had a 15 point lead with less than a minute and a half left and by that point all they got to do was dribble the ball down the court, wait out the shot clock, jack up a shot.

#15 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 4,125 posts
                • Locationhouston

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:24 PM

That's why I like McHale more than RA. Also, I would like to add that if no one is pulling their weight, he will let the deep bench go in (ala Jeff Adrien in Portland right before he was released). RA never gave those guys opportunities unless the team had a 15 point lead with less than a minute and a half left and by that point all they got to do was dribble the ball down the court, wait out the shot clock, jack up a shot.

I didn't like like rick aldelman either, mc hale's best trait is motivation of players, but we need a x's and o's coach. I like the fact that the team decided to return to playing defense again (as that was clearly not 1 of rick's priorites), but our offense took a big hit this year(evident by our inability to score down the closing moments of a game). not all the decisions I have seen mc hale make have been bad, but he could done much better. (IMO) we lost more than a couple of games due to mc hale being that out coached.

#16 pharmag

pharmag

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 263 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:29 PM

I didn't like like rick aldelman either, mc hale's best trait is motivation of players, but we need a x's and o's coach. I like the fact that the team decided to return to playing defense again (as that was clearly not 1 of rick's priorites), but our offense took a big hit this year(evident by our inability to score down the closing moments of a game). not all the decisions I have seen mc hale make have been bad, but he could done much better. (IMO) we lost more than a couple of games due to mc hale being that out coached.

I would agree he was outcoached in several games, however, I would argue that he has a minuscule amount of experience and that all coaches have to start somewhere. Compound that lack of coaching experience with lack of experience with the players you are coaching, and that is going to happen. Doesn't mean he can't be a good coach. I would say he has shown the potential to be a good coach. We have a young team so I think he has the time to grow with the team. If we were in a Laker's or Spurs situation of needing to win now before our stars retired, then I would agree he was a terrible hire. However, seeing as we lack developed stars and have one of the youngest teams in the league and are going to have a lot of post presence youth, I think he will be a good fit to develop our posts.

#17 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPip
                  • 548 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:38 PM

I would agree he was outcoached in several games, however, I would argue that he has a minuscule amount of experience and that all coaches have to start somewhere. Compound that lack of coaching experience with lack of experience with the players you are coaching, and that is going to happen. Doesn't mean he can't be a good coach. I would say he has shown the potential to be a good coach. We have a young team so I think he has the time to grow with the team. If we were in a Laker's or Spurs situation of needing to win now before our stars retired, then I would agree he was a terrible hire. However, seeing as we lack developed stars and have one of the youngest teams in the league and are going to have a lot of post presence youth, I think he will be a good fit to develop our posts.

I agree with this.. I venture to bet that McHale know his x's and o's very well, but coming into a new team with no offseason, it takes some time for a coach to learn which players fit which x and o best. McHale seems flexible whereas RA never deviated from a set plan. Flexibility is beneficial when coaching a young unit. I think Mike Brown was a bad hire and will cost the Lakers their ring this year, inversely I think we'll see SA in the finals and that will be because of the genius that is Pops.

#18 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • 4,125 posts
                    • Locationhouston

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:33 PM

Alituro/pharmag:
                    if the only reason you want to keep him is to develop our big men then he should be an assistant coach, not head coach. as far as having an off season with these guys he has been coaching them (a poor job I might add) for four months. if you don't know what you have by now then you don't know what you are doing. everybody has excuses. bottom line is the nba is a result business (either you put up or shut up). mc hale is a nice guy. he simply doesn't have a clue about coaching. when I said in my opening piece that I had some preconceived ideas about him that I tried to stay away from, its because I saw him in minnesota, and they are just now starting to recover from the mess he left there. the rockets may indeed give him another year, but he doesn't deserve it. remember when he said the rockets were a playoff team at the beginning of the year? did he change his mind? the way the rockets collapsed coming down to the end of the season is a reflection on not only their players but also their coach. mc hale inability to snap the rockets out of their funk during the losing streak proves to me he's no head coach

#19 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                    • 1,547 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

I have not read completely through this thread so I apologize if this has been said:

I thought all along that McHale did a good job this year. BUT. This collapse is SQUARELY on him. SQUARELY. Any time your team comes out and gets blown away in the same quarter in the most important stretch of the season, that is on the coaching.

#20 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                      • 4,125 posts
                      • Locationhouston

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

I have not read completely through this thread so I apologize if this has been said:

I thought all along that McHale did a good job this year. BUT. This collapse is SQUARELY on him. SQUARELY. Any time your team comes out and gets blown away in the same quarter in the most important stretch of the season, that is on the coaching.

I totally agree. rahat when I saw the video you posted after the golden state game this thought popped into my head. this is the same guy I saw in minnesota. he hasn't changed a bit.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users