Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Feasible Rockets Targets

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#21 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:30 PM

I agree. My concern would be offensive consistency from the wings, but apart from that, I love that team on paper.

I agree this is my major concern with that lineup also. Traditionally speaking, you want to be able to rely on your wings for a heavy offensive load night in and night out.

That being said, if nothing else, and we aren't able to land Howard, would it be prudent to pursue a level 2, viable, young center, and a scoring wing. Something like shaking Pekovic form Minny's tree for Martin (Although I don't know the financial plausibility of this, but we know RA loves him some K-Mart) and then pursuing someone like Granger? (assuming Lowry, Morris and Pat would go too) Leaving us with something like:

PG: Dragic/ (LLull, FA, or rookie)
    SG: Lee/Bud
    SF: Granger/Parsons
    PF: Scola/Motie
    C: Pekovic/Camby

Pekovic definitely has potential to be very good, and could probably be had somewhat cheap allowing us to retain Lee and Dragic at a higher pay scale, and maybe afford Granger too, therefore not sacrificing any offensive wing production.

Just throwin' it out there.

I'm a bit hesitant, also, Rahat to pursue an ego the size of Dwight's, but could probably learn to live with it pretty easy. I think Mchale could be the right coach to rein him in some, especially the first time he's benched for showing up late to practice... "we talkin bout practice man... Practice" McHale's the type that gives no player any sense of entitlement regardless of their name or reputation. Anything less than class or professionalism has not been tolerated by this organization (T-will).

#22 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
    • 1,547 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:41 PM

Alituro/Lifestyle:

I think Pekovic is as good as untouchable. No chance they deal him for Martin.

As far as wing scoring, I'm not too concerned. We've had a top 10 offense all year with these current wings. And I also think wing scorers (see Von Wafer) are some of the easiest things to find.

#23 pharmag

pharmag

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 263 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:39 PM

The reason I did not worry about wing scorers in that regard is because most wing scorers (imo) tend to try to do too much and unless they are elite like Kobe, Lebron or Wade, it is bad (see Martin). I much prefer to have wing scorers like Parsons and Lee who have the capabilities to occasionally take a man off the dribble and who are pretty solid spot up shooters, but also exhibit a willingness and ability to pass to open teammates. I think with the line-up I listed you have a solid drive and dish, pick and roll PG in Dragic with a good PF with range in Scola, two guys that have a knack for getting open when Dragic drives in Lee and Parsons and a dominant defense center with pretty decent offensive skill set and excellent rebounding in Howard.

Then you have a good offensive-sxith man (if he can become a little more consistent) in Bud along with some guys in Motie and Morris who could develop into very good (and potentially starter caliber) players along with a defensive/rebounding center to help offset an defensive break-down.

#24 Lyfestyle

Lyfestyle

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 182 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:12 PM

Okay, I know this is all rather pie-in-the-sky conjecture with Howard, but tell me why these moves couldn't happen:

We trade Kevin Martin ($13m) to Minnesota for Darko Milicic ($5.2m) and a future 1st round pick (should be possible as both teams are under the cap).

We then trade Lowry ($5.7m), Patterson ($2m), Morris ($1.9m) and/or Budinger ($950K) and draft picks to Orlando for Dwight Howard ($19m), Jameer Nelson ($7.9m) AND Hedo Turkoglu ($11.4m).

This would be possible given the cap room freed up in the Martin trade (and would have to be done before re-signing Lee and Dragic). We then use our Amnesty clause on Turkoglu.

Orlando gets to basically press reset, ridding themselves of all their worst contracts, while getting several solid younger contributors and virtually no salary. It saves them nearly $29m in salary this season alone, also getting them out of the $12.2m due to Turkoglu in 2014.

The Rockets then re-sign Lee and Dragic, and have the line-up below:

Dragic / Nelson
          Lee / Free Agent
          Parsons / Budinger (Assuming he wasn't included in Howard deal)
          Scola / Darko
          Howard / Camby

The main difference in this proposal and the one mentioned earlier is the huge financial relief it would provide Orlando, thus making it more likely, in my mind.

#25 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
          • 1,547 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

Great point about "good but not elite" wing scorers. Probably the most inefficient form of offense.

You put Dwight in the middle, Dragic in the pick and roll, and whatever Motiejunas becomes, and that's more than enough, in my opinion. Not to mention whoever else Morey manages to find.

#26 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 437 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:57 PM

With Howard in the middle you don't need elite wing scorers. If they can shoot they are ideal. With Dragic or Lowry (depending on who would get traded) you should have enough penetration ability with Howard in the middle. That being said, I would assume Hedo is attached at the hip with Howard in any deal. His contract is one the Orlando would get rid of since his only real value is with Howard. Lee, Parsons, and Bud can get to the rim enough to keep teams honest.

Defensively is where they would be much better than the Magic. That team is awful defensively outside of Howard. Dragic and Lowry are better defenders than Nelson, Lee is MUCH better than Redick defensively, Parsons is MUCH better than Hedo, and anyone has to be better defensively than Anderson.

The Magic made the finals with that team which is why I would love Howard to come because our supporting pieces would be much better.

#27 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 437 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:58 PM

Plus the projection right now in the mock (I know, really early) is John Henson who is Dwight Howard-lite. Real good defensively, can't shoot free throws.

#28 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 4,125 posts
                • Locationhouston

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:44 PM

I love getting howard but keep lowry give up another draft pick if you have to but keep lowry. I might also look into putting scola in the deal. maybe a deal like martin+scola+patterson+morris+draft picks. olando gets 2 young player 2 good vets plus draft picks. even add parsons if you have to but I think we should try to keep lowry,dragic and lee together.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#29 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 4,125 posts
                • Locationhouston

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:38 PM

ostrow if the rockets are going to take hedo off olando's hands, you can give them less in the overall deal. while martin's contract is going to be cap relief for orlando he is still a good player. also the younger players here have good promise. think what the team would be like if you are able to bring in howard and still keep lowry, dragic, and lee together. to me thats championship caliber

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#30 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                • 1,547 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:03 PM

if you waive dalembert, that gets you to roughly $12mill in cap room, I believe, (including Lee/Dragic cap holds.) You can use that to absorb Hedo.

I think if you offer a package centered around Lowry and Martin and also take back Hedo, I don't know how anyone could top that offer.

#31 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 4,125 posts
                  • Locationhouston

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:32 AM

rahat I did some research on olando's cap situation. hedo is due 12 mil next year and 12 mil non guaranteed in 2013/2014. his contract they can live with. the person they are going to want to get rid of is jason richardson. his deal has 6 mill next year 6 mill in 2013/2014 and 6 1/2 mil in 2014/2015 thats almost 19 mil on a player they don't use and who is on the books till 2014/2015. the stricter salary cap kicks in in 2013/2014 so his money will hurt them at a time when the luxury tax is higher. they also have the same problem with glen davis who is on on the same kind of deal. those are the 2 people they are going to want someone to take in a howard deal. between them they make 13 mil a year for the next 3 years. for the rockets to absorb that type of salary I don't think I would be sending lowry I would send a deal something like this martin+scola+morris+bud+draft pick. they can live without a point guard because jameer nelson will still be on the books

#32 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 4,125 posts
                  • Locationhouston

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:14 AM

another target I think the rockets will look into again is pau gasol. the lakers are in salary cap hell. they have major salary they need to dump. if they don't win the championship this year you can bet they will want to dump pau. if I was the rockets I'd be careful not to give up to much tho.

#33 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                  • 1,547 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:46 AM

rahat I did some research on olando's cap situation. hedo is due 12 mil next year and 12 mil non guaranteed in 2013/2014. his contract they can live with. the person they are going to want to get rid of is jason richardson. his deal has 6 mill next year 6 mill in 2013/2014 and 6 1/2 mil in 2014/2015 thats almost 19 mil on a player they don't use and who is on the books till 2014/2015. the stricter salary cap kicks in in 2013/2014 so his money will hurt them at a time when the luxury tax is higher. they also have the same problem with glen davis who is on on the same kind of deal. those are the 2 people they are going to want someone to take in a howard deal. between them they make 13 mil a year for the next 3 years. for the rockets to absorb that type of salary I don't think I would be sending lowry I would send a deal something like this martin+scola+morris+bud+draft pick. they can live without a point guard because jameer nelson will still be on the books

good thinking. I think the Magic would definitely prefer to part with those two over Turkoglu and the ability/willingness to take them on might be the Rockets' last card. But I don't think the Rockets would take it that far with a chance rental. If you trade everyone for Dwight or even take on Turkoglu, and Howard leaves, you still atleast have a clean deck. If you're taking on those guys, not only are you left without Howard, but you're screwed as well going forward.

#34 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • 4,125 posts
                    • Locationhouston

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:36 AM

rahat saw your comment and I agree, that is why I would not send lowry. if I were the rockets and going to absorb that much salary + send young players with promise + draft picks I wouldn't expect olando to be asking for much more. bottom line is he is a rental until he signs, you can not dismantle the team chasing him. I don't think the rockets will risk losing someone like lowry unless you have some form of guarantee that you will have upgraded the team. you also have to look at it from olando's perspective. if howard walks you get nothing. if you have a chance to get young players and basicly a clean slate + draft picks it's the perfect situation for rebuilding

#35 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • 4,125 posts
                    • Locationhouston

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:43 AM

more thoughts on howard deal. if the rockets make the playoffs this year (and I am hoping they will simply for experence) they will olny have 1 first round pick (the pick they get from new york) looks like dallas won't have a top 10 record this year so that first round pick they owe the rockets will be defered till next year. since the rockets already traded their first round pick ( in terence williams deal) to new jersey and nba teams can only trade a first round pick every other year the next first round pick that can be traded by the rockets is 2014 's pick. that means the rockets situation is this they have new york's pick this year, dallas first round pick next year and their own 2014 first rounder as tradable picks. considering howard is only a rental (until he signs) if I were the rockets I would try this deal martin+scola+morris+dallas's pick+our 2014 first rounder for howard and j rich and glen davis. in this deal olando gets 2 good vets in martin and scola to hold the ship right while I take a look at my younger players. they get a good young player in morris, and two first round draft picks to add to the team plus I get relief for j rich and glen davis deals. in this deal rockets get star player but have to absorb some salary and give away 2 first rounders to do it ..................if i am either team I jump at this deal (it works for both teams)

#36 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • 4,125 posts
                    • Locationhouston

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:56 AM

the above trade would leave the rockets looking something like this
                    pg lowry/dragic
                    sg lee/budinger
                    sf parson/j richardson
                    pf patterson/glen davis/montenjunas
                    c howard/camby
                    plus you still have this years pick from new jersey to add to the team

#37 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • 4,125 posts
                    • Locationhouston

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:15 AM

correction on last post. the rockets will have new york's pick this year to add to the team they also have their own pick next year. that way if howard walks the rockets will only lose their 2014 pick which I consider reasonable. they won't have a cap problemfor taking on glen davis and j richardson because if howard walks thats 20 mil off the cap

#38 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                    • 1,547 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

rahat saw your comment and I agree, that is why I would not send lowry. if I were the rockets and going to absorb that much salary + send young players with promise + draft picks I wouldn't expect olando to be asking for much more. bottom line is he is a rental until he signs, you can not dismantle the team chasing him. I don't think the rockets will risk losing someone like lowry unless you have some form of guarantee that you will have upgraded the team. you also have to look at it from olando's perspective. if howard walks you get nothing. if you have a chance to get young players and basicly a clean slate + draft picks it's the perfect situation for rebuilding

This is where I sort of disagree. I think the Rockets would rather lose Lowry and have a clean financial slate, than still have Lowry but also have those contracts. If you lose Howard, in the former scenario, your books are in order and you can also get a high lottery pick (keep in mind, this is through Morey, not Les.) But in the latter scenario, if you lose Lowry, you're right back at mediocrity.

Ultimately, I don't think they view Lowry as a guy that you have to keep at all costs. I could be wrong.

#39 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                      • 4,125 posts
                      • Locationhouston

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:02 PM

rahat I don't think I understand what you mean by having a clean financial slate. lowry only makes 6 1/2 mil a year. the 2 players you are taking on will not hurt the rockets flexiblity because by the time howard is gone these 2 players will only have 2 years left on their contracts. the rockets would hold their contracts that first year. then the second year that 13 mil owed to these players will become trade bait because of the cap relief that it can provide to another team. thats a win/win for the rockets. they will have had a chance at howard and it only cost them 13 mil and a 2014 draft pick

#40 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                      • 1,547 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:37 PM

rahat I don't think I understand what you mean by having a clean financial slate. lowry only makes 6 1/2 mil a year. the 2 players you are taking on will not hurt the rockets flexiblity because by the time howard is gone these 2 players will only have 2 years left on their contracts. the rockets would hold their contracts that first year. then the second year that 13 mil owed to these players will become trade bait because of the cap relief that it can provide to another team. thats a win/win for the rockets. they will have had a chance at howard and it only cost them 13 mil and a 2014 draft pick

I see your point. When you put it that way, it's not too bad. Sounds like a very viable option. I do disagree on the deal not requiring Lowry though. You think the Magic would do it just for cap relief? Well, maybe...it would give them a clean slate.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users