Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Feasible Rockets Targets

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#1 Lyfestyle

Lyfestyle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:27 PM

It's apparent that over the past couple of seasons, Daryl Morey's strategy has been to try and hoard assets to position us to make a significant trade. Of course he's thus far been unsuccessful, but one has to imagine that continues to be the team's intention.

I think it'd be a fruitful exercise to identify players that the Rockets actually could obtain that would represent an upgrade over our current player(s). The Pau Gasols of the world.

Given our current point guard situation, I think it's unlikely we'd make a play for an upgrade there, but seemingly every other position would have to at least be considered. Someone brought up Josh Smith in a different thread; that's exactly the kind of guy I'd like to discuss in this space: a guy that (probably) represents an upgrade and someone whose team would probably part with for the right package.

Let's say the Heat don't win the title this season and make Chris Bosh quietly available; would you be happy with the Rockets offering a package including Lowry and Scola?

What about Amar'e Stoudamire? Igoudala? Granger?

Who is that missing piece, and what are you willing to part with to land him?

#2 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,125 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

The rockets number one target should be davis from kentucky. He looks like a young akeem to me. If we can get this kid without having to give up any of these pieces ( lowry, dragic, lee, parsons, montenjuas, ) I would jump at it.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#3 Forrest Walker

Forrest Walker

• Members
    • Pip
    • 30 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:04 PM

I don't know how you'd accomplish getting Davis, given that 30/30 NBA teams feel exactly the same way. Trade up in the draft? What do you trade for that pick? A combination of literally everything the Rockets have wouldn't be enough to prise that prize from Charlotte/Washington/NOLA's grasp.

That's the problem with superstars/potential superstars. Their rarity is so great that they're worth essentially infinity. Only way to trade for one is to wait until he's become cancerous to his team, like Dwight seems to be, or if they just flat out want out, like CP3, D Will or Melo. Houston ain't getting unibrow.

As for FA/trade targets? I dunno. It's gonna depend a lot on how the playoffs shake out, knock on wood. With it looking increasingly like we'll get at least 4 extra Rockets games this year, a lot could happen before free agency to change the trade value of the players, the value to the team, and Houston's appeal as a destination.

I'd say best case scenario (though obviously super unlikely) is to win a round or two and hope for Dwight to just really piss off the Magic. Deron Williams would be an upgrade over Lowry or Dragic, but not really over both, if that makes any sense, and he's hot going to want to go to Houston anyway. The biggest prize is now and has been a dominant big man. I'd love seeing Roy Hibbert in ketchup and mustard, too.

#4 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,125 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:17 PM

Dunots liked your thoughts, but even without the pieces I mentioned the rockets still have some very good players to trade. If you are one of the teams in this position is it not better to build more than one spot on your team example ( scola, martin, morris and pick we get from newyork this year) this combo of players could make one of these teams respectable next year

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#5 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 437 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:27 PM

I know the Blazers are looking for a PG. Any chance a combination of Lowry, Scola, and draft picks or Morris could land us LA?

#6 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 4,125 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:35 PM

ostrow impossible portland not letting alridge go besides I think that's to much for him. he doesn't rebound well enough for me

#7 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 4,125 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:07 AM

another target I would like to see the rockets pursue is jones out of baylor I think this kid would make scola expenable. what ever we do it needs to be something to bring in a good big man

#8 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 437 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:11 AM

He's getting 22 and 8. He's an All-Star. Morris is not in the rotation and Scola would be replaced. Losing Lowry isn't good but worth it. I doubt they'd make it either but if they would the Rockets would jump all over a deal for that. Jones will be gone by the time the Rockets pick. And he's too moody for me. He's not their biggest need as long as they have Scola.

#9 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 4,125 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:22 AM

while I agree 22 and 8 is good I would take a little less scoring if I can get more rebounding. what we need is a rebounder/shot blocker/defensive force in the middle. scoring is good but defense wins championships

#10 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPipPip
          • 548 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:03 PM

Of course we still need some youth and height at Center, that goes without saying. Personally, I think we need some wing help too. I wonder what it would take to shake Granger out of Indy? I've always been impressed the few times Rox have faced him, but his numbers seemed to have taken a decline this season, is this solely because he has better help around him and doesn't need to shoulder as much of the scoring load? He could make a huge difference in our lineup, although I would hate to see it hinder CP's development, and at the same time I don't like the idea of banking on that development either. Is Granger an underrated superstar within our grasp? Maybe. I think it'd be worth a risk, and might just be obtainable from Indy.

Out of the players Lyfestyle mentioned in OP, this is the guy I'd pursue. He's better than Iggy. STAT is questionable health wise and I don't even want to consider going down any road similar to the Yao/T-mac one. I wouldn't pursue Bosh either for the pieces stated. He's more athletic than Scola, but without the workhorse ethic and with seeming attitude problems. I'd rather see Scola mentor Motie than give up that for Bosh. How close to contention would we be with a lineup of: Lowry/Dragic, Lee/Bud, Granger/Parsons, Scola/Pat/Motie, Camby/7' rookie? I think that's a good looking lineup, but that's taking for granted that Indy is looking to reduce some salary, and we can get him for some picks plus Martin(I know he expensive), Patterson (if we have Motie), Morris... anything that doesn't break up our core. He'd even be worth trading Lowry, or a sign and trade for Dragic, plus a couple cheap pieces like picks and youth.

#11 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 4,125 posts
            • Locationhouston

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:10 PM

alituro great comments but if I had my choice granger is the last man in the nba I would be after. he only scores nothing else scores. we would have the same problem we are having with martin ( an offense only player) . while I do like a lot of your proposed lineup I think we can do better than adding motie and granger. how about pg lowry/dragic sg lee/bud sf parsons/morris pf montejunas/pat c camby/7"rookie take the remainder ie scola/martin trade them to move up in this years draft. with those 2 plus the number 16 pick we will get from new york we should be able to get to at least number 4. if kid-gilcrest is still aroung jackpot if not henson fron north carolina. maybe we can even get as high as number 2 and take robinson from kansas what do you think

#12 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 4,125 posts
            • Locationhouston

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:24 AM

heres another idea. I think the howard circus will play out again in orlando next year. everyone knows the rockets were in pursuit of him. the reason the rockets were willing to take a gamble on howard even if he would not for sure sign an extension is the rockets have a good understanding of how restrictive the new cba is. if a player walks away from the team who had his contract he can only get a 4 year deal with smaller yearly raises compared to signing a 5 year deal with greater raises. now that may not sould like much, but to a max paid player like howard he would be leaving about 25 or 30 mil on the table. most players won't do that even if they sound like they will. how about the rockets trade only scola to move up in draft. maybe get in around 8 or 9 get someone like perry jones or henson then save martins contract till b4 the trade deadline and make another run of howard. trust me by then martin expiring deal will look pretty good to them

#13 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
            • 1,547 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:09 PM

Feigen wrote in the Chronicle that the Rockets were apparently pretty close to landing Howard at the deadline and that he expects those talks to heat up again next year. Considering that it's looking like it might take close to $10million to keep Dragic, would you all be willing to part with a package along the lines of Lowry+Martin+Morris+pick for Howard? Would the Magic?

Also, I'm just going to put all transaction discussion here in the forum until the season is over.

#14 pharmag

pharmag

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 263 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:09 PM

I think that would be a good value. Maybe see if they would take Patterson instead of Morris. Then you could have a 2-deep as follows:

PG Dragic/FA signee (or Llull)
                SG Lee/Bud
                SF Parsons/Morris
                PF Scola/Motie
                C Howard/Camby (or Dalembert but I prefer Camby)

I think that would be a pretty good team right there.

#15 RocketMan

RocketMan

Rookie

• Members
                • PipPip
                • 69 posts
                • LocationSouthern California

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

I think that would be a good value. Maybe see if they would take Patterson instead of Morris. Then you could have a 2-deep as follows:

PG Dragic/FA signee (or Llull)
                SG Lee/Bud
                SF Parsons/Morris
                PF Scola/Motie
                C Howard/Camby (or Dalembert but I prefer Camby)

I think that would be a pretty good team right there.

Not bad. I don't know if that's a team that can go all the way though. If Lee gets injured at any point, Bud as the starter isn't very convincing.

#16 pharmag

pharmag

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 263 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:36 PM

True RocketMan, but that could be said about any of the current contenders. If Kobe gets injured, LA is in trouble. Durant or Westbrook getting injured would be bad. I honestly think we would see a much smaller drop off if some of our key starters got injured compared to most teams. In that line-up the exceptions would be (maybe) if Howard or Dragic got injured (and maybe Parsons depending on how Morris develops). I don't include Scola because...well has the guy ever been injured?

#17 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                  • 1,547 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:38 PM

I think that lineup you laid out could definitely go all the way depending on Dragic/Parsons/Motie's development.

#18 Forrest Walker

Forrest Walker

• Members
                    • Pip
                    • 30 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:50 PM

That would be a hell of a lineup. Also, holy crap, what would the defensive efficiency be like? If Houston's gonna lose 1 of 2 probably-all-star-caliber point guards anyway, might as well get something for one of them. Martin is, sadly, expendable. In fact, if your wing players aren't elite defenders or legit all stars, I don't think you shed a tear when they go. Wing is, in my opinion, the least important position offensively and the one you should worry about filling out last.

Patterson is full of potential, but having Dwight Howard is worth way more. I think they'd probably rather have P2 than M2 anyway. I guess in that scenario, you either end up with him re-signing, or you end up with a freaking lot of cap space at the end of the season. You'd better believe Daryl Morey would do a deal like that. Go Go Dwight Howard, please piss off the Magic more.

PS I'd love, in a perfect world, to retain Lowry and Dragic. But man, who's gonna give Dragic 10m or more this offseason? Blazers? Bobcats? Hornets?

#19 Lyfestyle

Lyfestyle

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 182 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:55 PM

I think that lineup you laid out could definitely go all the way depending on Dragic/Parsons/Motie's development.

I agree. My concern would be offensive consistency from the wings, but apart from that, I love that team on paper.

#20 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                        • 1,547 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:08 PM

I feel kind of dirty discussing blowing up the team in the middle of a playoff run, but at least it's not on the front page.

In any event, looking at how huge an impact Dalembert and Camby have had, Howard would take this team to a completely different level. I'd also have no problem giving up both of Patterson and Morris as well (along with Lowry and Martin.)

Eventually, the hope would be for Motiejunas to develop into a '4' to play alongside Dwight, with his offense and ability to space the floor. That team would be just downright nasty.

It would be tough to root for Howard, given his downright douchiness, but I'd get over it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users