Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Patrick Patterson needs to be benched

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Voecklen

Voecklen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:25 PM

Kevin McHale has not been shy this year about going with the hot hand or sitting those who aren't producing. It's time for Pat to spend a few games on the pine, if not more. Some stats for you. Over his last ten games he is shooting 40.8%. If we eliminate the one good game he had against Sacramento, he shooting 36.6%. And to make matters worse, he's shooting more, not less than he had previously this season. During his last ten games he's also been a waste on the boards. He's collected only 34 rebounds! This is a 5.3 per 36 minute rate. While they play more, both Dragic and Lee have more rebounds during this stretch. I'd talk about other stats, but sadly he doesn't really do much else.

Part of the issue I have here is not just his performance but also the fact that he went to see Kentucky play on Saturday and threw a big party after right during the most critical time of the year for the team. And let's not forget he was just benched for being late to practice. Compare his actions to those of Brandon Knight, also a Kentucky alumnus. Here's what Knight had to say. “When I think about basketball, it’s how I can make the Detroit Pistons better. That’s really what I’m thinking about. I’m not thinking about what could’ve been if I had stayed in Kentucky. It would have been a nice scenario, but I’m thinking about how I can make the Pistons better.” And this is coming from a guy playing on a team that's isn't in playoff contention.

So how should the team proceed? I think you have to go with Camby, Scola and Dalembert for the majority of your minutes. In general, I'm opposed to the twin towers approach but given Patterson's poor play, McHale's going to have to use it a bit. Up Scola's minutes. He's playing well lately. Dalembert will at least rebounds and blocks shots with not unreasonable scoring efficiency. And they can go small with Parsons sometimes against the right opposition but I'd do that only along with Camby.

#2 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 548 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:24 PM

The general consensus around here when I've brought this up in the past is that Patterson is a great positional player on both sides of the court making the right moves and decisions, he's got off-the-charts basketball IQ. This was when I was trying to stick up for Jordan Hill in the Blog posts. Everybody wanted Hill gone in a trade and I was saying "why not Pat too?" backing it up with a statistical comparison, and it was countered with a "non-tangible value" argument (if he was truly a great positional player, by virtue of that statement, he would get more rebounds, like Hayes). I'm with you 100% and think it's time to start shopping him around. He's got decent value now, but if the current trend of sub-mediocrity continues, it will abate quickly. You'll find a lot of love around here for Patterson, particularly among the moderators so it may be hard to spark any honest discussion. In trade discussions he was often deemed "untouchable". The first bullet-point here: http://www.red94.net...s-boykins/9322/ will give you an idea of the love Red94 has for Patterson. Similar commentary on Pat is found all over the blog. Hayes and Battier were two of the smartest, best positional players in NBA history, but because of their limitations (Shooting for Hayes, Jumping for Battier) a team will never win a title with them in the starting 5, EVER. IMO, same goes for Patterson (rebounding). Smarts can only overcome so much in a physical game like this.

I'm with you about the twin towers, it may be effective in certain situations, but nothing you want to use with any regularity. I personally think the solution for the PF position would be to bring Motie over ASAP and give him a chance to be mentored by Scola for a couple seasons. Having 2 7 footers with one who is a natural center (Dalembert, Camby) and one who is a natural PF (Motie) will be a strong combo i.e, Bynum/Gasol.

#3 pharmag

pharmag

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 263 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:14 PM

I think you hit the nail on the head for why everyone deemed Pat "untouchable" this year in your second paragraph Alituro. That being that their is no one else currently on the roster to relieve Scola, who is 31 (i think?). If they can definitely get Motie over here, then I think you have to consider trading him, but at the same time that leaves you with 3 of your four big men being 32 or older. Its a peculiar situation, to be sure. It will be intriguing to see how it plays out, and if his rebounding flaws can be fixed.

#4 Voecklen

Voecklen

• Members
        • Pip
        • 26 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:21 PM

Alituro,

Thanks for the detailed reply. Our thinking seems to coincide a good deal. I was unaware that Patterson was so highly valued by others here. That's fine but if he is so valuable, his numbers should reflect that and they don't. As to being a high IQ player I'd have to disagree. And as you say, he'd be a better rebounder if he truly were. I'm all for Motie coming over. Really looking forward to it.

#5 Voecklen

Voecklen

• Members
          • Pip
          • 26 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:25 PM

pharmag,

I'll have to disagree with you on the Scola replacement thing. Patterson is offering so little value currently, I'd be willing to play Dallie or Camby in his place for the limited number of games down the stretch. Camby is more than capable of playing for him. It'd be a huge upgrade.

#6 pharmag

pharmag

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 263 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

Voecklen, true but then you have a 3-man rotation for 2 different position (and they aren't 3 young guys). That would mean these guys would all have to manage 32 minutes a night, every night. With the way the season goes due to lock-out (average 4 games a week meaning 1 back-to-backs a week), the Rockets need that four man rotation to keep everyone as fresh as possible. So that begs the question, if you had traded Patterson, who takes his place? Are you able to find someone of similar capabilities in the return on the trade or do you have to look to guys like Greg Smith and Jeff Adrien who may or may not be any better? That was my point. I am not saying he shouldn't be tradeable and I believe that he should at some point be traded. I, also, would agree with an argument that he shouldn't get as many minutes. That being said, the guy he is stealing minutes from now is Dalembert and that is probably because Dalembert hasn't been rebounding much better than Patterson and offers less on the offensive end.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users