Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (25 October 2015 - 08:26 PM) also read the Zach Lowe article - he's definitely drinking the kool-aid, and for good reason! I don't know if we're the biggest regular season threat (howard's health), but I think we are in the playoffs.
@  majik19 : (25 October 2015 - 08:25 PM) Sad about Saunders... seems sudden, though I knew he had fought on and off with cancer.
@  jorgeaam : (25 October 2015 - 06:41 PM) RIP Flip Saunders, sad day for basketball
@  YaoMan : (23 October 2015 - 04:49 PM) Zach Lowe seems to think the Rox are the biggest threat to GSW: http://grantland.com...-16-nba-season/
@  cointurtlemoose : (23 October 2015 - 04:36 PM) Hey if yall want a good podcast to listen to, find the Dunc'd On Basketball Podcast on Itunes, Rahat just did a Rockets preview with the host.
@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com

Photo

Houston Rockets 91, New York Knicks 86: The Beard saves the day.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:32 AM

New post: Houston Rockets 91, New York Knicks 86: The Beard saves the day.
    By: Paul McGuire

Tonight’s game served as a demonstration both of the importance of having a superstar as well as the fact that even NBA teams without one can pose a serious challenge. Even though Houston did not have three of its starters tonight, the Rockets came out and just outplayed Carmelo Anthony and the Knicks for nearly the entirety of the first half. Melo got his points for much of the game, but the rest of his team seemed completely unable to score. Then with 1:45 left in the second quarter, Anthony left for the locker while gingerly clutching his back. He would not return for the rest of the game, and Houston led 49-38. Easy pickings, right?

Wrong.

Buoyed by Houston’s carelessness, the Knicks promptly closed out the second quarter on an 8-2 run, and then made life miserable for the Rockets for the next one and a half quarters. They switched on every play and forced the Rockets into multiple poor offensive possessions, particularly in the turnover department. J.R. Smith, Pablo Prigioni, and Travis Wear (a rookie from UCLA whom I had never heard of before tonight) hit some major shots. As the Knicks took a 78-72 lead in the fourth quarter, they appeared to be playing better without their superstar and ready to defeat a team with one.

But at the end of the day, New York’s lack of a superstar worked against. James Harden came in with eight minutes left in the game, and proceed to either score or assist on every single Houston basket for the remainder of the game. He finished with 36 points on 11-22 shooting, and an invigorated Houston crowd chanted “MVP” when he stood at the free throw line at the end of the game.

I discussed my concerns about Houston’s offense and its dependency on Harden in the recap against Dallas, so I do not intend to discuss it in detail again. When Terrence Jones, Dwight Howard, and Patrick Beverley return, the Rockets will gain offensive options that they currently do not have while maintaining the elite defense which has led them to victories throughout this season. Still, there were far too many turnovers tonight. After losing Carmelo, New York adjusted their defense to switch whenever they could, preventing the Rockets from making passes for easy shots. Despite his late game heroics, Harden did have five turnovers, including one pass in the third quarter which appeared to be aimed directly at New York point guard Shane Larkin. Kostas Papanikolau also struggled badly on the turnover front and finished with five in just 25 minutes of play.

But despite the offensive problems, the defense has been a beauty to watch. While Harden deserves praise for turning into a good defender after the past few seasons, Trevor Ariza also has changed quite a bit defensively compared to his previous stint in a Rockets uniform. Ariza was not a bad defender back in 2009-10, but he did have a penchant for trying to intercept passes. This was fine when he did succeed, but it just as often left Houston’s defense scrambled and vulnerable when he failed. Ariza this season is no longer doing this as often and has been much more fundamentally sound in comparison to the old Ariza. Nevertheless, he still managed to get three steals against the Knicks tonight. While Ariza’s offense and shooting has been up and down for much of this season, his consistency on the defensive end has been an important steadying factor to a team whose starting lineup seemingly changes from game to game.

But big men remain the linchpin of any elite defense, and the Rockets big men have filled in admirably without Howard. Even Joey Dorsey managed to get some good minutes on the defensive end, much less Tarik Black and Motiejunas. Motiejunas in particular really has become a plus defender. He makes mistakes, especially on the pick and roll, but his speed and length helped to guard the paint, whether from New York’s guard driving or their big men.

But it is one thing to guard Quincy Acy and the corpse of Amare Stoudamire. On Wednesday night, the Rockets will be taking on the Sacramento Kings and a center comparable to if not better than Dwight. Patrick Beverley and Jones will be out for that game, but Howard might be better by then. We will certainly need him to take on Demarcus Cousins.

#2 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,008 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:39 AM

Think Morey can trade for Cousins before Wednesday?

#3 Dayak

Dayak

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 116 posts
      • LocationBorneo Island

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:49 PM

Black and Dorsey will be eaten alive by Cousins :P

It's nice to see how Harden improves his defense this season. Harden for MPV!

#4 marbony81110

marbony81110

Rookie

• Members
      • PipPip
      • 71 posts
      • LocationGermany

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:30 PM

So I'm reading TheTen on ESPN and the only mention of the Rockets game is a clip of James Harden not running back on D during a fast break. Out of all the stellar things Harden did on offense and defense that is the ONLY thing worth mentioning. Just horrible journalism that will continue to blind people to how much Harden has improved on D. People really want Harden to be some kind of villian. He will never be a true MVP candidate with this type of media coverage.

http://espn.go.com/nba/theten

You should also read the comments on bleacher report. It's actually pretty funny.

http://bleacherrepor...break-vs-knicks

#5 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 168 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:38 PM

^Self-perpetuated internet trends like that bother me too. Perception is usually always ~6 months behind reality.

And I'm really happy about DMo. I knew that early season funk would shake off. Hopefully he can keep it up and keep growing!

And yes, this Kings game is going to be interesting down low...

#6 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,137 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:42 PM

So I'm reading TheTen on ESPN and the only mention of the Rockets game is a clip of James Harden not running back on D during a fast break. Out of all the stellar things Harden did on offense and defense that is the ONLY thing worth mentioning. Just horrible journalism that will continue to blind people to how much Harden has improved on D. People really want Harden to be some kind of villian. He will never be a true MVP candidate with this type of media coverage.

http://espn.go.com/nba/theten

You should also read the comments on bleacher report. It's actually pretty funny.

http://bleacherrepor...break-vs-knicks

Yeah, that is pretty lousy stuff.  Seems like Harden was trying to catch Larkin with an offensive charge, but he passed away from it.

I went looking to see where James is on the endorsement ladder and found this hilarious article (LINK).  Not sure what, how, or why, but it made me giggle.

It seems if you aren't in the top 10 of endorsement deals you do not matter so I can't find any actual data, but he has definitely been surfacing in more and more ads.  What does this mean and why does it matter?  Easy.  Money.  Those companies are investing a lot of money into an image, an idea, an icon, and they aren't going to let a bunch of hacks and still bitter Lin Fans ruin their investment.

Money talks, and I expect it to start talking about Harden's defense, carrying this MASH unit of a team, his MVP legitimacy, and so on....

There will always be ignorant masses and they almost always have the loudest voice.  I despise them and the vulture journalists who feed off of them.  In one regard, I like it.  I think James needs a little extra kick in the pants (he's not like Kobe who would cut out his own mother's heart if it got him another ring) and all of this may be a blessing in disguise.

Back on topic--I loved last night's game.  Yes, we had some issues and let NY keep it close, but I will still contend that even without Melo this is a professional basketball team with good players.  Calderon, Prigioni (who is under-rated), Stoudemire, Acy (it's like they cloned Reggie Evans), Hardaway Jr., Shump, etc.  That's a professional basketball team, people.  They are very, very good.  Given our current injury situation any win is a good win.  Now, if we still play down to that level with our 3 starters back I will worry more--until then, it's a good win.  They're all good wins!

Big ups for D-Mo.  The bigger question is why aren't we seeing Daniels?  Must be something pretty bad to keep that sniper off the floor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users