Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Goran Dragic vs. Kyle Lowry

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#41 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:05 PM

There's nothing on the current Blazers roster that would interest me in a trade for either, 'cept for Batum and Aldridge obviously, but we know that wouldn't happen. I would however, take their #6 and #11 picks this year (I don't know if it's possible, rule-wise) and maybe some lesser player. This is a nice draft, but unlike previous ones it's not heavily laden with PG talent, so they just might bite on something like that. Those two picks would add yet another valuable tool to Morey's belt.

#42 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 548 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:16 PM

Why would Dragic sign with us if our stated intention was to shop him? "Yes, sign here and we'll send you to God-knows-where as soon as someone offers us something half-decent. Maybe you can play the next 5 years in Charlotte! Or beautiful Milwaukee!"

That makes no sense. Dragic will sign for the team that offers him a solid contract and a starting spot. I'd wager several teams will do that.

So, sign him and make him our starter, intending to shop Lowry... But if a beautiful deal was offered for him and not Kyle, then bite on it...

I don't get it, are you saying just let him slip away? Rahat, I agree, trade Lowry, but at the time if we don't have Dragic locked down, then we've possibly screwed ourselves. All I said was sign Dragic immediately and let the chips fall where they may, except for falling with us having both PGs to start the next season, which is highly unlikely given their high demand..

We've got to keep all the cards in our hand.

#43 Lyfestyle

Lyfestyle

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 182 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:30 PM

I think they almost have to trade Lowry.

I tend to agree, but what're the logistics of that move, in your mind?

Do you sign Dragic first with a wink-wink guarantee that you'll trade Lowry? What if the market's not what we think it'll be for Kyle?

Do we trade Lowry first? What if someone like Portland then offers an outrageous contract to Dragic?

#44 Lyfestyle

Lyfestyle

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 182 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:31 PM

So, sign him and make him our starter, intending to shop Lowry... But if a beautiful deal was offered for him and not Kyle, then bite on it...

I don't get it, are you saying just let him slip away?

I certainly don't think we should let him slip away, but your scenario, that you described as the "simple solution" didn't seem realistic to me.

#45 areteejay789

areteejay789

Rookie

• Members
          • PipPip
          • 82 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:33 PM

trade lowry and our 14th pick to Portland for both of their lottery picks? (assuming NJN's pick isnt top 3)?
            or do you think portland do lowry bud and our 2 firsts for aldridge?

#46 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 4,125 posts
            • Locationhouston

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:51 PM

trade lowry and our 14th pick to Portland for both of their lottery picks? (assuming NJN's pick isnt top 3)?
            or do you think portland do lowry bud and our 2 firsts for aldridge?

portland's not parting with alridge unless your offering lebron and maybe not even then. however I do think they may be open to moving their pick at #6, but I wouldn't overpay for it. maybe give them our 2 picks and the pick we get from dallas next year. anything more than that and we are overpaying

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#47 ChinaConor

ChinaConor

• Members
            • Pip
            • 33 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:13 PM

I tend to agree, but what're the logistics of that move, in your mind?

Do you sign Dragic first with a wink-wink guarantee that you'll trade Lowry? What if the market's not what we think it'll be for Kyle?

Do we trade Lowry first? What if someone like Portland then offers an outrageous contract to Dragic?

The best time to make a big deal (and I think trading Lowry would be a big deal) is around the draft which happens before free agency. So the Rockets could trade Lowry first and have a window to extend Dragic or at least a headstart on convincing him to stay. That makes the most sense to me.

#48 ChinaConor

ChinaConor

• Members
              • Pip
              • 33 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:29 PM

if dragic cost 40 mil I say let him walk. its not like we don't already have a good point guard. bottom line either of these guys can run this team. if I already have kyle for 6 1/2 mil why would I sign dragic for much more than that. dragic is good, but not a star. now the possible combo of him lowry and lee can be very good. but if it came down to it I would expect the rockets to sign dragic only if he can be had on a reasonable deal other wise I expect them to spend the money somewhere else. guards are easier to find. (example why sign dragic for 10 mil per if you can get mayo for 7 mil per and be just as good at guard) the rockets are not going to tie up big money in guards. especially guards who are not established stars.

It might be the right decision to let Dragic walk for 40 million (although I was thinking more 7,7.5, 8,8.5,9 as the salaries). But you were the one who wrote if the Rockets pay him the money he wants he would come off the bench. I assume that he'd need to be paid extra to come of the bench instead of throwing lobs to Alridge in Portland. I can't imagine that a player that has said starting is a goal and will have teams pursuing him as a starter will come really cheap.

And as for Mayo, I would rather pay Dragic 10 million per year than Mayo 7. I think Dragic is a good player at the deepest position in the NBA right now. Mayo is an average player at a position without any depth. Holding teams to 41% shooting is usually a defensive accomplishment. That's Mayo's shooting percentage for two years in a row. And he's always playing with guys who command double teams. He'd shoot 35% on the Rockets if he was forced to create for himself.

#49 ChinaConor

ChinaConor

• Members
                • Pip
                • 33 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:30 PM

if dragic cost 40 mil I say let him walk. its not like we don't already have a good point guard. bottom line either of these guys can run this team. if I already have kyle for 6 1/2 mil why would I sign dragic for much more than that. dragic is good, but not a star. now the possible combo of him lowry and lee can be very good. but if it came down to it I would expect the rockets to sign dragic only if he can be had on a reasonable deal other wise I expect them to spend the money somewhere else. guards are easier to find. (example why sign dragic for 10 mil per if you can get mayo for 7 mil per and be just as good at guard) the rockets are not going to tie up big money in guards. especially guards who are not established stars.

It might be the right decision to let Dragic walk for 40 million (although I was thinking more 7,7.5, 8,8.5,9 as the salaries). But you were the one who wrote if the Rockets pay him the money he wants he would come off the bench. I assume that he'd need to be paid extra to come of the bench instead of throwing lobs to Alridge in Portland. I can't imagine that a player that has said starting is a goal and will have teams pursuing him as a starter will come really cheap.

And as for Mayo, I would rather pay Dragic 10 million per year than Mayo 7. I think Dragic is a good player at the deepest position in the NBA right now. Mayo is an average player at a position without any depth. Holding teams to 41% shooting is usually a defensive accomplishment. That's Mayo's shooting percentage for two years in a row. And he's always playing with guys who command double teams. He'd shoot 35% on the Rockets if he was forced to create for himself.

#50 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 338 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:38 PM

Re a Lowry trade to Portland.
                    The simplest trade would be a delayed trade. Portland trades their #6(assuming NJ doesn't move into top 3) for Houston's #14 and "other considerations". Come July 1,Lowry is then moved to Portland for some of Portland's Cap room,resulting in a TPE for Houston.
                    W/Lowry traded,Goran would have his own team in Houston and the Rockets could afford a competitive salary.

#51 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                    • 1,547 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:49 PM

Lyfestyle: My strategy is this - you go into the draft with the intent of trading Lowry, whether that be for Dwight Howard, for another lottery pick or whomever. But if you don't get a deal you like you don't panic. Don't just trade him just to trade him, otherwise, if you lose Dragic, you're screwed.

If you haven't found a Lowry deal yet, you then go to Goran and tell him it's a wink-wink and you'll trade Kyle later and to just sign with us. If he accepts, you sign him and deal Lowry when the time comes. If he doesn't accept and poses an ultimatum, then you deal Lowry at that point for whatever is on the table, if it's worth it. If he still doesn't accept, he probably wasn't going to stay anyways.

My fear though is that if you go into the season with both of them, you're going to risk an Aaron Brooks situation and have Kyle's value plummet even further. My preference is to trade him at the draft.

Alituro - there's no chance Portland gives up BOTH picks for Lowry. I think you're very best hope is Lowry + #14 for the #6.

#52 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                      • 4,125 posts
                      • Locationhouston

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:52 PM

I guess I have to agree to disagree with you guys on this one, because I don't think we should trade lowry unless we are getting a star player in return period. I understand you guys like dragic, but chew on this fact. the rockets pay lowry 6 1/2 mil a year. dragic will command at least 7 1/2 or 8 mil per. there is not that much difference between the players(dragic and lowry) both are good. the rockets are going to keep the one that commands less in a trade if they trade either. its not just about players its also about money. just because the rockets have cap flexibility don't mean they are about to start throwing money around

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#53 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
                      • 1,567 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:23 PM

I guess I have to agree to disagree with you guys on this one, because I don't think we should trade lowry unless we are getting a star player in return period. I understand you guys like dragic, but chew on this fact. the rockets pay lowry 6 1/2 mil a year. dragic will command at least 7 1/2 or 8 mil per. there is not that much difference between the players(dragic and lowry) both are good. the rockets are going to keep the one that commands less in a trade if they trade either. its not just about players its also about money. just because the rockets have cap flexibility don't mean they are about to start throwing money around

I dont think Lowry has a trade value equal to that of a star, possibly a 2nd or 3rd year player that is playing well and shows potential, OR as part of a package as has been discussed in other threads for a real "star". We're in a good situation here, either way we should be able to keep a quality PG and if we can keep Dragic we can get something back for developing Lowry.

Unless its a straight up deal Lowry for the #6 Id rather see us with A player(Id also rather not get several players back, as we dont need more developmental projects right now if our goal is to get a star)

#54 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                        • 4,125 posts
                        • Locationhouston

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:31 PM

Blakecouey:
                        lowry isn't worth a star by himself, but with a draft pick or 2 maybe. because we can take on more salary than we give up in any such deal any trading partner is going to want to take back less contracts as possible. i'm sure the rockets will try to throw martin in the deal, but the other team may not go for it. I think the rockets are going to make more than one trade between now and trade the deadline, and face it on this team nobody is untouchable.

#55 DaDakota

DaDakota

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 165 posts
                        • LocationAustin

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:47 AM

Both are NBA quality starting PGs.

That being said.

Dragic is bigger, quicker, has better vision, and can beat his man off the dribble.

Dragic is the best of both Brooks and Lowry without any of their flaws.

If Morey is dedicated to winning he finds a way to keep Dragic, and trade Kyle - as Kyle is a great value by out performing his smallish contract.

Dragic is the future, I am a little dissappointed in Morey as of late as he did not pick up Dragic's option last year which would have made him restricted.

Now, he is going to have to pay market price in a year which a lot of teams have cap room, oh well, can't win games with left over cap room, spend it on Dragic.

At least match any offer and give an extra year and max raises which the CBA allows.

DD

#56 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                        • 4,125 posts
                        • Locationhouston

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:34 AM

DaDakota:
                        I don't know what player you are watching. dragic ain't all that. yes he is good, but has trouble covering small quick guards (when he played ty lawson this year what happened?) yes he is a better shooter than lowry, but does not run the team as well. take off the rose colored glasses. in your post you make him sound like an allstar, and he not that good. everyone seems to believe this guy can do no wrong and that simply not the case. which ever guard the rockets allow to start the team will be fine. both are good capable floor generals nothing more. neither is a star. I would trade either if requested in a trade for a star. no one is untouchable on this team and thats the way it should be untill we find that centerpiece player

#57 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
                        • 1,567 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:36 PM

I agree with Alituro. Both are quality and whichever route we take we will be ok. If both cost the same money, id choose Dragic, but they most likwly won't cost the same and its not my choice. As far as being doubtful of Morey because he didnt pick up Goran's option last year, based on what YOU saw of him last year would you have picked it up? Doubtful. Heinsight sure it wouldve been optimal but you cant blame someone for being unable to see the future on every player. Had Lowry not gotten sick we would probably still not regard Dragic as a capable starter.

#58 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                          • 2,308 posts
                          • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:30 PM

I second your point Huq, furthermore Lowry's attitude is not suited to his talent level or the team (as evidenced this past season), Lowry should be traded to a team with a star or two and Dragic should be retained, I like how Dragic carried himself when Lowry went down and how he reacted when Lowry tried to force himself back on the team...
                          How sweet it is!

#59 wtflife

wtflife

• Members
                          • Pip
                          • 12 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:11 PM

It seemed to me Dragic really got shut down the last week of the season. I certainly don't think it is a sure thing to lock him up and say yes we know for sure we have our point guard of the future based on a few good weeks of play. For one he can't drive to his right, which seems a important skill for our long term point guard to have.

Moving up to 6th in the draft from 14 is big. It gets you in the range of drafting players that could become stars. But I don't see a player there that would make me feel the risk of going with Dragic instead of Lowry is worth taking. Bradley Beale is intriguing, but I think he lacks the handle to really become a go to scorer like Eric Gordon. He could be a better version of Aaron Afflalo.

It is amazing how bad the shooting guard position is after Kobe and Dwayne.

It seems like Davis, Robinson, Gilchrist and Drummond will already be gone. And those are in my mind the only potential franchise targets so does moving up for Beale make sense? He is a classic had a good tourney and now will be over valued draft guy.

#60 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                            • 4,125 posts
                            • Locationhouston

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:23 PM

wtflife:
                            on beale no. I just don't see him becoming a star. a good player , but not a star. I say if the rockets can't get into top 4 stay where you are and see what falls to you. from about 6-16 range seem to all need time to develop more, and it might be better to get 2 of these prospects. the rockets more likely than not will trade up though even if they don't get as high as 4. because we already have montie coming over I just don't see the rockets bringing that many rookies to camp. most drafts have leonard falling to 14. that would be my 1st pick. also most drafts have terrence jones, henson or moultrie falling into the same range. that would be my 2nd pick

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users