Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.

Photo

Should Daryl Morey feel the pressure to trade sooner rather than later?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:48 PM

I wouldn't say no to KD but I really like the idea of pairing Harden with a wing defender so they can switch defensive assignments. I think we can win a championship in 2016 with the team we have now.

Edited by 2016Champions, 21 October 2014 - 05:49 PM.

#42 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:21 PM

KD is a decent defender, but the offensive firepower of those 2 combined would warp basketball reality.

#43 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 671 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 02:32 AM

Bucko like Steven said except for love who else would mchale be the X factor in recruiting? Howard was a huge recruit and both mchale and parsons had a hand in it as well as Hakeem. But I don't think he is as good of a recruiter as you believe. Can't think of many players he got them to join him in Minnesota or here. He might be respected as a great ex big player, but as a coach and gm I just can't see it.

#44 Willk

Willk

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 311 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:24 AM

Bucko like Steven said except for love who else would mchale be the X factor in recruiting? Howard was a huge recruit and both mchale and parsons had a hand in it as well as Hakeem. But I don't think he is as good of a recruiter as you believe. Can't think of many players he got them to join him in Minnesota or here. He might be respected as a great ex big player, but as a coach and gm I just can't see it.

McHale got Garnett to sign long term in Minnesota. Nobody wants to play in Minnesota. Garnett plus Howard are two giant recruits. That is better than some franchises. Look at the Bulls, their only big free agent signing in their history was Gasol. McHale has done as good as job at recruiting as could be expected for where he has been.

#45 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,636 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:38 AM

Charisma is a trait that cannot be taught.

#46 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 4,130 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:12 AM

I can think of a player McHale would be useful in recruiting....

NOP_Davis_Anthony.jpg

#47 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 475 posts
          • LocationHouston

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:22 AM

Mchale should start growing his brow out now!

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#48 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,865 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:41 PM

McHale got Garnett to sign long term in Minnesota. Nobody wants to play in Minnesota. Garnett plus Howard are two giant recruits. That is better than some franchises. Look at the Bulls, their only big free agent signing in their history was Gasol. McHale has done as good as job at recruiting as could be expected for where he has been.

Exactly, McHale is terrible, horrible, can the Rockets please fire him last decade, last year, last month, last week, yesterday..........you get the picture.

#49 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 2,596 posts
            • LocationAlabama

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:24 PM

Mchale should be a college coach. He's like the coach at Texas. Good recruiter, but poor coach.

Why so Serious? :D

#50 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,865 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:39 PM

Mchale should be a college coach. He's like the coach at Texas. Good recruiter, but poor coach.

Oh yes. You should know better than anyone TTDN. Barnes was great at recruiting KD but it was clearly his fault that UT failed to win the NCAA Title that season.

McHale apparently has no clue according to your standards.

#51 txtdo1411

txtdo1411

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 197 posts
              • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:42 PM

Oh yes. You should know better than anyone TTDN. Barnes was great at recruiting KD but it was clearly his fault that UT failed to win the NCAA Title that season.

McHale apparently has no clue according to your standards.

You're fighting a losing battle here Rick. There is a small minority here, myself included, that agree McHale is not a terrible coach, but the vast majority sees him as trash. I am of the belief that he has his warts, but is a solid coach especially considering the "realistic" options available to replace him. I think his record since he's been in Houston, even with all the roster turnover, speaks for itself. 

#52 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPip
              • 1,865 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:18 PM

You're fighting a losing battle here Rick. There is a small minority here, myself included, that agree McHale is not a terrible coach, but the vast majority sees him as trash. I am of the belief that he has his warts, but is a solid coach especially considering the "realistic" options available to replace him. I think his record since he's been in Houston, even with all the roster turnover, speaks for itself.

I appreciate you speaking up. I have been defending Coach McHale seemingly solo for the last 3 seasons (including this one which has not quite yet started). There have been a few voices here and there that have agreed but 90%+ on this board have wanted McHale's head for much too long.

It will happen eventually as practically all NBA coaches end up getting fired (a select few actually resign or retire).

So I suppose the loud voices will think they have won if and when Coach McHale is no longer at the helm here in Rockets Land.

Edited by rocketrick, 22 October 2014 - 07:19 PM.

#53 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                • 4,130 posts
                • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:23 PM

I appreciate you speaking up. I have been defending Coach McHale seemingly solo for the last 3 seasons (including this one which has not quite yet started). There have been a few voices here and there that have agreed but 90%+ on this board have wanted McHale's head for much too long.

It will happen eventually as practically all NBA coaches end up getting fired (a select few actually resign or retire).

So I suppose the loud voices will think they have won if and when Coach McHale is no longer at the helm here in Rockets Land.

Really--you've been defending McHale all by yourself?  I see.  I think Rockets Best Fan would disagree with you  :P as he and I have spent more time on the subject than any two sane human beings should.  :lol:

#54 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPip
                • 1,865 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:33 PM

Really--you've been defending McHale all by yourself?  I see.  I think Rockets Best Fan would disagree with you  :P as he and I have spent more time on the subject than any two sane human beings should.  :lol:

How do you clear your throat on-line............um.....mmmmm.

Anyway,

I have been at this for now starting the 3rd year.

I certainly appreciate your comments and attempts to argue pro=McHale so please don't get me wrong at all.

Still, it has been pretty empty for the most part other than your (and 1-2 other contributors) occasional positive posts re: our Coach McHale.

I understand it is impossible for everyone to come on board with any absolute majority opinion here and I am absolutely fine with that (wave the flag here).

So please don't excruciate me if I fail to mention a couple of other pro-Coach McHale posts here and there on this forum.

Any reader of these boards these past coming on 3 years now knows for certain Coach McHale is much more despised here than (at minimum) accepted. Not even close, for certain 85-90%.

Perhaps you, of all people Mr. JG, have a graph or a chart that can better ascertain the likes, dislikes and hates of Coach McHale on this forum.

Edited by rocketrick, 22 October 2014 - 09:38 PM.

#55 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 2,596 posts
                  • LocationAlabama

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:57 PM

I don't think mchale is a terrible coach. I think he is average. That's not knocking him, just that there are several coaches who are better IMO. I don't think he should be fired now. A mid season coaching change would be terrible. But if we don't make the WCF, then I think he has been given as many chances as he should be.

But if he and Howard are as tight as people say, Morey might keep him another year to try and keep Dwight. So I think the earliest he could be gone is 2-3 years.

Why so Serious? :D

#56 txtdo1411

txtdo1411

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 197 posts
                  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:43 PM

I don't think mchale is a terrible coach. I think he is average. That's not knocking him, just that there are several coaches who are better IMO. I don't think he should be fired now. A mid season coaching change would be terrible. But if we don't make the WCF, then I think he has been given as many chances as he should be.

But if he and Howard are as tight as people say, Morey might keep him another year to try and keep Dwight. So I think the earliest he could be gone is 2-3 years.

This is reasonable. There are definitely better coaches out there, and there are definitely worse coaches. One has to acknowledge that McHale has had a lot on his plate with the amount of turnover we have had. Pretty much every year we have been trying to incorporate major pieces in the lineup, which is not an easy feat. If McHale fails to have post-season success this year, then I would be okay with the team going in a different direction. But I don't think McHale is an awful coach by any means. 

#57 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 475 posts
                  • LocationHouston

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:04 PM

McHale is not the best tactician...thats a fact....but is that the only measure of a coach...absolutely not. And hell, thibs is a solid (def at least) tactician but I wouldn't say he's a all-time great coach, his player management (aka minutes/injuries) are horrific imho. He's single-handily ruined/ruining deng, rose, and noah. McHale overplays players too, but not that bad!

Now that said, I think Mchale ability to have his voice listened to by players is great, which can't be overstated enough, when players especially stars tune out the coach its over. And I think I brought this up in another thread before, but bottom line is to get a top 5 coach nowadays you almost have to give them personnel control, which with morey isn't happening. (doc rivers, stan van gundy, pop, phil, the exception being carlisle). So, I'm fine with McHale and since we got our defensive coordinator to replace the one we lost I think were dandy at coach. Now that said, if pop came and was like, hey duncan and manu and parker are retiring can I coach you i'd do it in a heartbeat but that isn't happening.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#58 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPip
                  • 1,865 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:31 PM

Thanks timetodienow1234567, txtdo1411 and Losthief for your comments re: Coach McHale.

Yes, all of us want and expect NBA Western Conference Finals at minimum and more.........

I can attest that the noise level at Toyota is louder and the energy in the building increases exponentially at each step forward in the bracket. Game 6 vs LA Lakers sans Yao and T-Mac was crazy and it would have been incredible to experience would we have advanced to the WCF that year.

Coach Kevin has been there and he knows. He was there when the A/C system went caput vs. the Lakers in the mid-1980's in the original Boston Square Garden. Magic, Kareem, Worthy, Cooper, Bird, McHale, Parish, DJ and all the rest can attest as well.

The question becomes will we have the privilege of enjoying another 4 year epic battle between 2 perfectly different and yet simultaneously similar teams with so many Hall of Famers??

I hope so but I for one don't see how that can compare to what is to come. Please, please, please Prove Me Wrong.

Edited by rocketrick, 22 October 2014 - 11:37 PM.

#59 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • 4,124 posts
                    • Locationhouston

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:57 AM

oh my god..........what is this? a McHale pity party. everybody lining up to sing his praises. for the record rocketrick me and JG have spent many afternoons debating his attributes or faults depending on how you view him. also you are correct in assuming I will be overjoyed the day he is sent packing. trash is to nice of a word for what I think of McHale's qualifications. :lol: :lol: while McHale does have some members calling for his head here......I don't think it's any where near 90%. I have probably been the most vocal against him yet I would say the forum is about 50-50.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#60 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                    • 4,130 posts
                    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 October 2014 - 05:36 AM

I'll give you two reasons to like McHale, RBF.  Two reasons that even you can't deny.  ;)

1. He chose to bench Lin once we had another PG.

2. During the Houston-Dallas pre-season game this exchange occurred:

As McHale called a play with his former small forward a few feet away, Parsons asked him to repeat the call he had heard so many times through his first three NBA seasons.

“You didn’t know the plays last year,” McHale said. “You’re not going to know them this year.”

That doesn't make him a great coach, but it does make me like him more.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users