Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Hopes for the Rest of the Season

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 pharmag

pharmag

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:28 PM

We are merely venturing down one path (the path easiest to consider). Any other path considers too many other variables such as trading for big name players and what would be required to net it. In essence, this is a simplistic path that I think makes us better. I would agree that this would probably only be a 45 win team the next two years that barely makes the playoffs, but if Parsons continues to develop (or Morris develops into starter) and Motie and Draftee develop into solid paint guys, I could see them becoming a solid playoff team that contends for a top seed year in and year out.

#42 pharmag

pharmag

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 263 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:30 PM

pharmag: I could live with that lineup. on a temp basis of course, but would still move scola asap. we can do a lot better in that position. I don't question scola's heart he just doesn't have the skill level necessary to compete in the west.

Exactly, this is by no means a permanent solution. Camby is merely a stop-gap to mentor a big if we can't land an established one via trade, and Scola sticks around only because I doubt anyone would take his contract. Plus, I think his locker room presence is phenomenal even though his skill set on the floor isn't the greatest. This would merely be steps to preserve cap flexibility while finding small ways to improve the team.

#43 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,125 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:42 AM

Exactly, this is by no means a permanent solution. Camby is merely a stop-gap to mentor a big if we can't land an established one via trade, and Scola sticks around only because I doubt anyone would take his contract. Plus, I think his locker room presence is phenomenal even though his skill set on the floor isn't the greatest. This would merely be steps to preserve cap flexibility while finding small ways to improve the team.

well after this lost tonite looks like no playoffs again this year. but that may not be all bad. this team (IMO) is right on the edge of becoming good with some good moves this off season. what do u think

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#44 pharmag

pharmag

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 263 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

well after this lost tonite looks like no playoffs again this year. but that may not be all bad. this team (IMO) is right on the edge of becoming good with some good moves this off season. what do u think

They are but unfortunately that move(s) that they need to become good requires them to obtain the rarest commodity in the league. An all-star big man.

#45 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 4,125 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:28 AM

They are but unfortunately that move(s) that they need to become good requires them to obtain the rarest commodity in the league. An all-star big man.

couldn't agree more. we must have a big man who can balance some of these wind players. have you taken a good look at the draft? I think theirs hope on the horizon.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#46 pharmag

pharmag

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 263 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:03 PM

I have not really. I mean I have looked at a couple mocks but as far as watching some film in some guys in our range, I haven't seen much. The only guy I have seen play is Perry Jones, and IMO he isn't what this team needs. He is a more talented, but lazier Parsons.

#47 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
          • 1,547 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:16 PM

couldn't agree more. we must have a big man who can balance some of these wind players. have you taken a good look at the draft? I think theirs hope on the horizon.

This is my worst area as I don't follow college basketball. Will need to start looking at the prospects. Though, at the same time, I'm reluctant to dig in too deep as I have a feeling we will trade the picks with Motie already coming over.

#48 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 4,125 posts
            • Locationhouston

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

I believe we will trade our picks also (to move up in draft). depending how high we are able to move up could be important. I watch a lot of college ball and their are franchise players in this draft (provided we get high enough) who can elevate this team. even tho I feel bad about this seasons result I don't think we are that far from being really good. we need a franchise player, a centerpiece. we already have what could be a very nice supporting cast. this team was built to be around yao. if we are able to get a franchise big man I think the results can be dramatic

#49 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPipPip
            • 548 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

You guys seem to be putting a lot of thought into assembling a team that will win 45 games a year.

Or we could put a lot of thought into pipe dreams like landing Howard and/or Gasol... Since the Rox are a virtual magnet for big name all-stars and all. Time to get off your unicorn.

#50 Lyfestyle

Lyfestyle

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 182 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:26 PM

Or we could put a lot of thought into pipe dreams like landing Howard and/or Gasol... Since the Rox are a virtual magnet for big name all-stars and all. Time to get off your unicorn.

Apparently you just started following the NBA this season: the Rockets DID trade for Gasol and David Stern stopped the trade. Significant moves can - and must - be considered.

#51 areteejay789

areteejay789

Rookie

• Members
                • PipPip
                • 82 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:50 AM

I feel like if we can move some combination of parts, for whoever would draft andre drummond (when he comes up to be drafted) this would be a good move. he seems to have awesome potential, like a offensively better camby, but is dropping in the mocks because of his attitude. I know Terrence williams didnt work out, but a flier on attitude is something morey would be up for, and to be honest so would i. say lowry, and our 14th ish pick for the 6th (and dalembert if need be)? then resign dragic to start at pg. the team wouldnt improve for next year, but it would give us a serious prospect at center, who if impressive by the all-star break might be worth something to orlando for dwight, or we could just keep him if he looks really positive and build around him.

obviously if we could gett kidd-gilchrest, or davis, you take it immediately, and my speculations fall through, but outside of those two, i feel drummond is our best bet for stardom. The others all seem to be third best players on contenders potential, but have that already.

#52 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                  • 1,547 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

Are the attitude problems of the T-Will variety or of the Cousins variety (wanting to win)? You say that Morey might be willing to take on someone with an attitude, but I'm not so sure...that T-Will saga might have made them more risk averse.

#53 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • 4,125 posts
                    • Locationhouston

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:12 PM

I feel like if we can move some combination of parts, for whoever would draft andre drummond (when he comes up to be drafted) this would be a good move. he seems to have awesome potential, like a offensively better camby, but is dropping in the mocks because of his attitude. I know Terrence williams didnt work out, but a flier on attitude is something morey would be up for, and to be honest so would i. say lowry, and our 14th ish pick for the 6th (and dalembert if need be)? then resign dragic to start at pg. the team wouldnt improve for next year, but it would give us a serious prospect at center, who if impressive by the all-star break might be worth something to orlando for dwight, or we could just keep him if he looks really positive and build around him.

obviously if we could gett kidd-gilchrest, or davis, you take it immediately, and my speculations fall through, but outside of those two, i feel drummond is our best bet for stardom. The others all seem to be third best players on contenders potential, but have that already.

drummond is dropping in the mock drafts because he is lazy not his attitude. the kid reminds me of eddy curry, and I think most scouts see what I am seeing in him. I like his skill set, but his motor is only a 4 cylinder (lacking power). if he was on the board when our pick comes up I wouldn't touch him unless these players are gone. henson,zeller,lennord and both jones(baylor and kentucky) drummond is getting this much hype because he is a 7 footer with skills, but as we have seen in the past you need more than just skills

#54 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                    • 1,547 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:22 PM

Big men with low motors are the biggest poison pills. Must avoid.

#55 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 437 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:50 AM

I'd shy away from T. Jones. Did not show any improvement between this year and last year and in some ways it seemed as though he regressed. I don't love Perry but where we're picking if he's there you take him and pray. Drummond will be gone by our pick, but if he's there I think we gotta take him because at pick 13 there are rarely guys with star potential. It's possible that he could be a bust as well, but this might be the year to take a risk like that.

My hope for the rest of the year is that we don't pass PHX

Correction. I don't think we can

Edited by Ostrow, 23 April 2012 - 10:19 AM.

#56 areteejay789

areteejay789

Rookie

• Members
                        • PipPip
                        • 82 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

greg smith was supposed to have a low motor before the draft last year, but then we picked him up and hes had a decent to good motor. In the same way Twill might make them risk averse to attitude problems, maybe this makes them more pro-risk for bigs with slow motors?

#57 RocketMan

RocketMan

Rookie

• Members
                          • PipPip
                          • 69 posts
                          • LocationSouthern California

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

Who cares about the draft? We can just grab Greg Oden out of medical retirement! I hear Yao wanted to play with him, so maybe we can get a two-for-one deal. Just saying... Too soon?

#58 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                          • 1,547 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

greg smith was supposed to have a low motor before the draft last year

Was not aware of this...are you sure? He brought energy in bundles when he stepped on the court this year.

#59 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                            • 4,125 posts
                            • Locationhouston

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:14 PM

hurray!!!!!! stephan a. smith is reporting the howard saga is on again. we may hang around just long enough to land him. I know he can be a butt hole, but he is the best center in the league.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users