Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Hopes for the Rest of the Season

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 pharmag

pharmag

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:49 PM

So given the recent poor stretch of play, what are everyone's hopes for the remainder of the season? Right before the All-Star Break, I was hoping for a strong push to stay somewhere between 5 and 7 seed in West and go for a playoff run. However, with the rash of injuries and having heard good things about this draft, I am fully hoping that the slide continues.

If we miss the playoffs, we could end up with a pick anywhere from 9 to 14 given the 3 game spread between the Rockets and Milwaukee with Utah, Portland, Phoenix, and Minnesota sandwiched in between. Furthermore, we are more or less guaranteed to get the Knicks pick given the odds of them winning the lottery even if they managed to fall out of the playoffs. Finally, Dallas has surged recently and with LAC, Indiana, Philly, and to some extent Orlando slipping of late plus the fact that the competition in the West is very tight, I could see them sneaking into the top 10, giving us pick 21.

That gives us 3 picks to play with in the upcoming, supposedly deep draft. That gives us a plethora of opportunities including packaging 2 or 3 together to trade up. Given that we are not likely to win the Championship this year, I think this is the best option. I think we are set at PG for several years, especially if we can get Dragic signed to a new deal. I think the combination of Parsons and Budinger at SF is actually very effective as long as you are not looking for that to be your "star" position. Patterson is turning into a solid PF off the bench and Lee is a good pair for Dragic in the back court. That leaves us with our "aging" players in Martin and Scola as well as our centers Dalembert and Camby. With 3 picks and given our FO's ability to find the guys that exceed expectations, surely we can manage to turn those into an all-star caliber big man and a solid starter.

#2 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
    • 1,547 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:40 AM

As it has been since we pulled too far ahead, I'm hoping we make the playoffs. But now, I don't really care about seeding. Moving up in the standings is exciting because it shows the progress for this team, but staying at 7/8 is fine with me. Those spots will net us a likely matchup with either the Thunder/Spurs and thus, give us the best chance to make the second round.

#3 pharmag

pharmag

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 263 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:19 PM

My point though is that if we make the playoffs, we lose our pick to the Nets. In a draft that is supposed to be very deep, I would prefer the rockets rake in as many picks as possible. We are guaranteed the Knicks pick due to the likelihood they make the playoffs, and with the recent surge by the Mavs, we will probably get their pick too. Instead of slipping into the playoffs and likely lose in first round and pretty unlikely we make it past second, why not miss the playoffs one more year and bring in 3 new young guys in this deep draft, or package a couple of the picks and a player to move up? Currently 4.5 games separate us from the 9th overall pick based on current standings and based on our remaining schedule, I see 5 games we should win and another 6 that is about 50-50 with the last 6 being games we probably shouldn't win. If you hold to par, that gives us a 34-32 record, which may or may not net us a 8 seed. I would be more annoyed by barely missing the playoffs again than if we just tanked the rest of the season to get the highest pick possible and trying to make some noise in the draft.

#4 Lyfestyle

Lyfestyle

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 182 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:26 PM

I totally agree with pharmag, but I think Les thinks it's harder to justify his supposed vision if they can't ever even make the damn playoffs. For that reason I don't see tanking happening.

#5 pharmag

pharmag

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 263 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:34 PM

*Bump*

When I wrote this, the current situation is more or less what I was afraid of. Despite trying hard for the playoffs, we still stand a very good chance (I would say more likely than not) of missing the playoffs and getting the 14 pick for the 3rd straight year. Even if we decided now to just go ahead and lose out, the highest pick we could get is 13th because Portland and Milwaukee are so far back.

#6 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 4,125 posts
            • Locationhouston

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:55 PM

*Bump*

When I wrote this, the current situation is more or less what I was afraid of. Despite trying hard for the playoffs, we still stand a very good chance (I would say more likely than not) of missing the playoffs and getting the 14 pick for the 3rd straight year. Even if we decided now to just go ahead and lose out, the highest pick we could get is 13th because Portland and Milwaukee are so far back.

I want them to make the playoffs but I agree with you we would be better off not making it. their are players in this draft who can be team centerpiece caliber type players. if the rockets get to keep their pick then get dallas's and new york's pick I don't see the rockets bringing in 3 rookies they will combine them to move up. if their able to get inside the top five of this draft jackpot

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#7 Lyfestyle

Lyfestyle

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 182 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

After last night's loss, Hollinger pegs the Rockets' playoff odds at 30.2%, lower than even Utah (who would also miss the playoffs if they started today).

It can also be said that given Dallas's recent slide, we probably won't be acquiring their pick this year.

This is actually worse than where many of us thought the Rockets would be at the end of the season and, in my mind, another strike against the, "Keep on doing what you're doing!" argument.

#8 pharmag

pharmag

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 263 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:34 PM

I want them to make the playoffs but I agree with you we would be better off not making it. their are players in this draft who can be team centerpiece caliber type players. if the rockets get to keep their pick then get dallas's and new york's pick I don't see the rockets bringing in 3 rookies they will combine them to move up. if their able to get inside the top five of this draft jackpot

I would have loved for them to make the playoffs, and prior to the all-star break I thought it was possible they could get a 4-6 seed. I made this post after the 5 game slide and preceded by barely beating Toronto at home no less. The reason I wished for them to intentionally miss the playoffs was because after watching them those 6 games, it was pretty obvious that even trying to make the playoffs, they would most likely miss given their remaining schedule difficulty. Now it appears quite likely that they will since Phoenix, Utah, and Denver all hold tie-breaks over us. So instead of just aiming for the highest pick possible and letting guys like Morris and Smith get some development, we instead will barely miss the playoffs and still end up in the lottery but with a much lower pick. If we had the 10th and 15th/16th pick, I could see us being able to flip those for a top 5 pick (I wasn't actually counting on the Dallas pick). A 14th and 15th/16th pick is completely useless for trading up into the top 5.

#9 Lyfestyle

Lyfestyle

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 182 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:01 PM

A 14th and 15th/16th pick is completely useless for trading up into the top 5.

It should be noted that while it may be completely useless for trading up into the top 5, it's far from useless as a general commodity (Morey's got a decent record on non-top 5 picks).

Does Les's "Stay competitive" strategy remind anyone else of Drayton McLane's similar missive a few years ago with the Astros?

#10 pharmag

pharmag

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 263 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:14 PM

It should be noted that while it may be completely useless for trading up into the top 5, it's far from useless as a general commodity (Morey's got a decent record on non-top 5 picks).

Does Les's "Stay competitive" strategy remind anyone else of Drayton McLane's similar missive a few years ago with the Astros?

True and I didn't mean they are completely useless, but we aren't looking for more Pattrick Patterson's and Marcus Morris' (although jury is still out on him). We need the all-star and the all-star doesn't typically fall out of the top 10 and rarely falls out of the top 5.

As for the stay competitive strategy missive, it definitely is similar, but the biggest difference is that it is much easier to do so in basketball than in baseball. With the right players, a basketball team can win on the sum of its components through teamwork. Baseball has a much more individualistic aspect to it (if pitcher is giving up home runs there is nothing the rest of the team can do, if your best hitters are slumping there is nothing the pitcher can do). That is why you saw a lot of games last year that were either 9-7 losses or 3-1 losses. The end result though is more or less the same. Short of a great trade, an unexpected player development, or a great draft pick, the teams will be stuck in mediocrity.

#11 Lyfestyle

Lyfestyle

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 182 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:26 PM

Right. To my mind, Scola, Martin, Camby and Dalembert are the Miguel Tejadas and Carlos Lees in this analogy: Expensive stop-gaps that hog lineup time while the team sacrifices tomorrow for an ultimately-unsatisfying today.

Assuming a star isn't available, I'd say shed Scola's contract for a future pick, roll the dice on another 2 mid-1st rounders, play the young guys and then bank on doing well in free agency after next season. At that point we'll have a ton of money and young players to work with.

#12 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                      • 1,547 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:44 PM

Where the Rockets find themselves right now is pretty much what I would have defined as the worst case scenario. Playing horrible ball and on track to either back into the postseason by default (to get smoked in the first round) or to end up with the 14th pick. While I agree that it's probably best for them to keep their pick, even though its not my job, I hope they still make it just because it would be such an utter PR nightmare for this team to finish 9th three years in a row. That's the definition of "running in mud."

With that said, missing it again might finally be the impetus for Les to allow Morey to blow the team up.

#13 sircharles

sircharles

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 283 posts
                        • LocationAustin Tx

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:14 PM

this has got to be the off season where the rockets go for everything, this is going to be one of the best free agent classes for a while and one of the most stacked drafts ive ever seen. lets lure hibbert away from indiana please!

#14 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                        • 4,125 posts
                        • Locationhouston

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:21 PM

Rahat:
                        I agree. even if you get smoked in the first round you can say we at least went to the dance. thats progress. as the rockets have been on this decline I am starting to get iffy about it tho. it appears dallas is not going to be a top ten team record wise so we won't get that pick till next year (if their a top 10 team that year) and looks like new york will make the playoffs so keeping our pick in this years draft could be big .......real big. I am a basketball junky I not only watch pros but college, women, d-league,nba summer games you name it. the players coming out of school this year are one of the deepest drafts I have seen in awhile (IMO) the thought of us being able to flip those picks into a higher one (possibly top 5) just might be worth the pr nightmare

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#15 pharmag

pharmag

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 263 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:01 PM

I agree rockets best fan, but I just don't see a top 5 pick likely with the 14th and 15th/16th picks at our disposal even if we throw in a player. So then the question becomes, if you are going to trade up, who are you going to trade up to get and will their individual value be more than the value of the 2 guys you could potentially get with back-to-back picks.

#16 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                          • 4,125 posts
                          • Locationhouston

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:22 PM

pharmag:
                          their are a couple of teams who are going to have 2 picks in the top ten (probably portland and utah and maybe new jersey) because they own another teams pick. they may not want draft picks back this year but maybe future draft picks to help them down the road. no team wants to bring in more than a couple of rookies a year. maybe we give them dallas pick next year+new york pick this year+our 2014 pick that should get you in the top five what do you think?

#17 pharmag

pharmag

• Members
                          • PipPipPip
                          • 263 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:27 PM

Except the members of the most likely top 5 although they could be in a variety of orders are Charlotte, Washington, NO, Sacramento, Toronto. Of those, only NO owns another top 10 pick currently (pick 10 via the wolves), but they need so much I would be unwilling to bet that they would trade their higher pick (the one that falls in the top 5) for a 3 picks that will be outside (or just barely in) the lottery over the next three years.

#18 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                            • 4,125 posts
                            • Locationhouston

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:49 PM

pharmag:
                            think if I were the rockets I would target washington, the hornets and toronto in that order. washington already has a very young team so they might be looking for some vet help (like they did at trade deadline with denver) with a lower draft pick. the hornets were in love with houston pieces in the deal the steirn vetoed rockets need to re explore that. as for toronto if their pick isn't a top 3 I think they will be open to trading it. they already have a rookie coming from overseas next year that they drafted in the lottery last year. never know till you ask

#19 pharmag

pharmag

• Members
                            • PipPipPip
                            • 263 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:52 PM

Oh I agree that you should definitely pursue it and I wouldn't go so far as to say it is impossible. I do believe, however, that it is unlikely.

#20 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                              • 1,547 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:46 PM

rockets best fan: you had mentioned you saw pistol pete play. how long have you been following the rockets, out of curiosity?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users