Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.

Photo

How would you feel about trading Kyle Lowry?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:29 AM

This is something that I hadn't really considered before, but I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on the topic because it seems there is a real possibility.

If it's for Dwight, that's a no-brainer, but how would you feel about trading Kyle Lowry in a package for Gasol, making Goran the full-time starter of this team, now and for the future. Is it time to 'sell high' on Lowry or is he a building block?

Early on in the season, or maybe even as recently as a month ago, the notion of trading Lowry, to me, was inconceivable. He was untouchable. But his numbers have really taken a tumble of late and worse, his defense has greatly been exposed. He's been literally torched by the likes of Parker and CP3, to the point where McHale had to switch defensive assignments. Dragic is hands down the better one-on-one defender.

I still like Lowry and would prefer to keep him as a building block for the future. But I'm becoming much more open to the idea of a trade. Maybe it might be time to 'sell high', if this is really our chance to nab a top-15 player. Remember how Aaron Brooks' trade value plummeted because we waited too long? I worry that the same will happen with Lowry over the course of this season and it will be discovered that he really wasn't as great as he seemed. Then, not only would we have held onto the wrong guy, but we wouldn't have a trade chip. We already know how hard it is to trade for a legit star.

How would you rank these lineups:

A) Scola, Parsons, Dalembert, Martin, Lowry
    B) Gasol, Parsons, Dalembert, Lee, Lowry
    C) Gasol, Parsons, Dalembert, Martin, Dragic

I think that lineup A is clearly the worst. As far as the other 2, I don't know...

What do you all think?

#2 sircharles

sircharles

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 283 posts
    • LocationAustin Tx

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:01 AM

I'd say get rid of him while we can but while doing so try and get rid of Martin and scola. Especially with the steady decline this team is on. Aldeman has expressed interest in coaching Martin again so maybe we could send him to Minnesota for Wesley Johnson or something. This team has gotten very frustrating to watch. Still can't get over them giving the ball to Martin in the clippers overtime for the last shot when Courtney Lee was on fire from 3 point range.

#3 Chuck

Chuck

• Members
    • Pip
    • 3 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:37 AM

a mix of B and C sounds the best too me. instead of lee/lowry or martin/dragic i would rather have lee/dragic

#4 FelixPR

FelixPR

• Members
      • Pip
      • 41 posts
      • LocationPuerto Rico

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:01 AM

Hmm. I rather have lineup C but that is because of trade value. Lineup B is nice and balanced (though I worry about offense) but that means the Rockets gave up Martin, Scola and one or two other players for just Gasol. Seems like a bit too much but it is understandable. Lineup C is nice because it leaves open the option of either a) Martin bouncing back or B) trading him to get another set piece.

As for Lowry, I'm fine with him being shipped off. I was really hesitant to do so at the beginning of this season because it has been awhile since the PG for this team was strong. I never considered Brooks anything but a SG who is too short and the Rafer Alston days haunt me at times. The key being, is the downgrade from Lowry to Dragic worth the upgrade from Scola to Gasol? Yes. Dragic is erratic but Gasol is such an improvement that you just have to go for it. If you can keep Lowry and get Gasol? Then you are doing well.

Personally, it is between two options. Would I like to see the team downgrade at PG while getting Gasol and keeping Martin (For another trade) or would I like to keep Lowry while getting Gasol and see the team in a tougher position to get another valuable piece.

Like always, my posts tend to be long winded and cover all types of ground. Sell high on Lowry if the return is worth it.

#5 Jdon76

Jdon76

• Members
      • Pip
      • 8 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:45 AM

You tweeted about line up D a little while ago, I think that'd be the best lineup.
        Trade Martin and 09ers for Bogut and S-Jax and trade Lowry and scola for Gasol. After the season we resign Dragic and Lee.
        Lineup D going into next year is Dragic/Lee/Jackson/Gasol/Bogut and coming off the bench we'd have PPatt, D-Mo, Parsons, Bud, Llull(if he comes over), Morris and whoever we draft this year. That's a very solid lineup.

Also, would we have room to pick up the Haitian Sensation's contract for next year in this scenario?

#6 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
        • 1,547 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:48 AM

You tweeted about line up D a little while ago, I think that'd be the best lineup.
          Trade Martin and 09ers for Bogut and S-Jax and trade Lowry and scola for Gasol. After the season we resign Dragic and Lee.
          Lineup D going into next year is Dragic/Lee/Jackson/Gasol/Bogut and coming off the bench we'd have PPatt, D-Mo, Parsons, Bud, Llull(if he comes over), Morris and whoever we draft this year. That's a very solid lineup.

Also, would we have room to pick up the Haitian Sensation's contract for next year in this scenario?

Yep, I think this scenario is probably the best one. I wonder if this is what they're trying to do right now with Bogut replacing Nene in last summer's scenario.

I would be extremely pleased if that's how things turned out. Bogut/Gasol would immediately be the best frontline combo in the league. You'd need some perimeter scoring but that's much easier to find than talented 7 footers.

#7 Jdon76

Jdon76

• Members
          • Pip
          • 8 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:58 AM

Yep, I think this scenario is probably the best one. I wonder if this is what they're trying to do right now with Bogut replacing Nene in last summer's scenario.

I would be extremely pleased if that's how things turned out. Bogut/Gasol would immediately be the best frontline combo in the league. You'd need some perimeter scoring but that's much easier to find than talented 7 footers.

I would actually like this combo better than Nene/Gasol. Much better defensively and we'd have great passing all around. I don't see a better defensive starting 5 than this one. The 2nd unit in that scenario gets me the most excited though. I don't see many teams being able to compete with a 2nd unit of Llull/Bud/Parson(or Jackson depending on who starts)/PPat/Motiejunas(he plays C in Poland right?). plus Morris and this years draft picks. that would be a team with legit talent 12 deep.

#8 James

James

• Members
            • Pip
            • 3 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:40 AM

I'd encourage it. Dragic is a better passer and better on the fast break. Also Goran is taller.

#9 Guest_Zero_*

Guest_Zero_*
              • Guests

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:49 PM

Trade Lowry, take advantage of his overblown trade value that he enjoys right now, and promote Dragic to the starting lineup. Sounds only reasonable to me. Dragic has shown repeatedly that he can be a proper replacement and is often the most active and reliable player on the floor, so I don't even consider that swap as a major downgrade.

#10 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 437 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:38 AM

The problem with Goran is that he'll play great and then he'll have 6 possessions in a row where he is completely out of control. He is also not nearly as good of a defender. He takes a lot of risks and isn't great on the ball. Now if we can get a great player and we have to give up Lowry than that's one thing. I'm not sure if I would give him up for Gasol. If we do trade one of the PGs we need to bring in another one. Flynn is hopeless. At one point there was some talk that people were interested in him? Deal him for a second rounder and get it over with. Did T-Will play a couple of games ago to showcase him and hope that someone was intrigued?

#11 andrewgarza713

andrewgarza713

• Members
                • Pip
                • 1 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:02 AM

The problem with Goran is that he'll play great and then he'll have 6 possessions in a row where he is completely out of control. He is also not nearly as good of a defender. He takes a lot of risks and isn't great on the ball. Now if we can get a great player and we have to give up Lowry than that's one thing. I'm not sure if I would give him up for Gasol. If we do trade one of the PGs we need to bring in another one. Flynn is hopeless. At one point there was some talk that people were interested in him? Deal him for a second rounder and get it over with. Did T-Will play a couple of games ago to showcase him and hope that someone was intrigued?

I was beginning to think that I was the only one who saw this is Goran, he's to out of control and takes way to many shots that he shouldn't take

#12 DaDakota

DaDakota

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 165 posts
                  • LocationAustin

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:05 PM

I would have no problem trading Lowry even if he were completely healthy. IMO, his increased workload has only exposed his flaws even more, his shooting has regressed a bit and his turnovers have gone up by 25%, with only about 1 assist more per game.

And his defense this year has been awful, probably because he is working so hard on offense.

Goran is about the same production wise as a starter, but the problem for me in trading Lowry would be that Goran is an unrestricted free agent, so we could lose Lowry in the trade, and then Goran at the end of the year with no compensation at all.

Morey is risk averse, I don't see him giving up a value contract in Kyle to roll the dice on Goran which will cost a lot more, IMO.

DD

#13 chesegovia

chesegovia

• Members
                  • Pip
                  • 13 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:15 AM

Trade him if it brings you Josh Smith, Dwight Howard, Bogut or Deron Williams, im kinda iffy if hes traded for Gasol even tho i think Dragic can do good

#14 Favian Pua

Favian Pua

• Members
                    • Pip
                    • 27 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:49 PM

If I were John Hammond (Bucks GM), I would do a double take on the Bogut/Jackson for Martin. There's a logjam at the SG spot with Dunleavy and Delfino hogging the minutes and Hammond won't see how adding another trigger-happy backcourt mate next to Jennings helps the Bucks moving forward. On the side of the Rockets, I like the potential acquisition of Jackson and how his hard-nosed defense will positively impact the team. My worry is that in acquiring Bogut, the Rockets are once again on the edge of their seats with another center who has an ugly injury history. It's a lose-lose situation for both teams involved.

With regard to Lowry being traded, I'm all for it as long as the right offer comes into the picture. Point guards are a dime a dozen and I'm ready to hand over the keys to Dragic.

#15 Favian Pua

Favian Pua

• Members
                      • Pip
                      • 27 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:55 PM

I know Lowry is top 10 PG material (or really close to it), but Dragic is top 25 at worst and the gulf of talent between #10 and #25 isn't a steep drop-off.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users