Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.

Photo

Which do you prefer? Gasol or Howard?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Poll: Which deal would you prefer? (8 member(s) have cast votes)

Which deal would you prefer?

1. Scola, Martin, Dragic for Gasol (1 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

2. Voted Lowry + other young pieces for Howard (7 votes [87.50%])

Percentage of vote: 87.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:25 AM

Let's say Gasol costs you Scola, Martin, and Dragic and Howard costs you Lowry and some combination of other attractive pieces. Which would you prefer?

With the first, you obviously keep Lowry and have Lowry-Gasol as your 1-2 punch for the next 3 years.

With the latter, you lose your best player and get a top-3 player, but risk losing him altogether.

Which would you prefer?

#2 James

James

• Members
    • Pip
    • 3 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:37 AM

I like Lowry as much as the next guy, but I don't understand Rocket fans attachment to him. He's a good point guard, I can name about 10 other good point guards in the league. Good point guards are very common. Something that is far less common nowadays? An elite big man. Dwight Howard is an elite big man. I think giving up Lowry for an opportunity at keeping an all time great is worth it, especially when Dragic is a more than capable player to start.

Anyways I think management will try and acquire both.

#3 Jdon76

Jdon76

• Members
      • Pip
      • 8 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:40 AM

If I'm picking I'd say I'd rather do Lowry and Scola for Gasol, keeping Martin(he seems like the type of guy Howard wants to play with) and then try to make a run at Howard in free agency. With the prospect of playing with a top 5 shooting guard and being on the best front line in the NBA, while also being, without a doubt, "the man" in Houston(as he stated he wants to be) I think he could be lured to play here.(also courtney lee is one of his close friends, assuming we resign him that could help)

I realize this is a dream scenario, but if we're giving up K-low I'd rather it be for somebody locked up a bit more long term than Howard's half season with no guarantee of him resigning.

#4 FelixPR

FelixPR

• Members
        • Pip
        • 41 posts
        • LocationPuerto Rico

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:43 AM

Tough choice. With Gasol, you get an older but skilled player who might not be a player who can lead a team as the first option. However, it does leave space to build around Gasol and Lowry with some other moves. In theory it could be Lowry, Gasol and near all-star (Eric Gordon? Granger? Josh Smith? Iggy?) to be acquired down the road.

With Howard you get a top 3 player with a higher cost to get him. Howard is basically the 50/50 shot. You contend and get him to sign or you find yourself on the road to rebuilding. It doesn't sound that bad if you think about it. Try with Howard for half a season, try to get him to stick around or find yourself in tank mode.

The flaws are that you may end up with a team that is gutted to get Howard. Can this Rockets team contend with Dragic/Martin/SF/Scola/Howard. Maybe. Morey would need to deal enough pieces to attract Howard while keeping enough pieces to make one last big run. If the Rockets are able to get to the WCF or the Finals with Howard then it adds more weight to him staying. "Hey Dwight, we almost got there. Now there is time and space to get better players if you stick around!"/

But what if the team simply doesn't click? Then Howard just leaves and on to rebuild mode. And this time you would have to hope that the rebuild process goes smooth.

Gasol is basically a giant band-aid unless Morey is able to acquire another important piece. There is no way to do that if both Martin and Scola are traded for Gasol. How could can a team with Lowry/Lee/Parsons/Gasol/Dalembert be? Maybe top 4.

Too many variables. It all depends if Gasol is just the only trade made or if it is Gasol + player B. If it is between Howard and just Gasol then I pick Howard 10 times out of 10. You either win or lose. But Gasol by himself? Seems iffy. Gasol and + Player B with Lowry? Depending on who player B is, you may have a more balanced team.

Now, what if Morey went after Josh Smith? He and Howard are friends. Maybe Smith, Lee and the whole big man legacy (plus the iPad 3) would be enough to convince Howard to sign in the summer.

However, as long as something happens and it makes sense, then I'm good. I can't begin to calculate the many options and variables out there. Maybe we end up with Kaman and Beasley. Talk about tears.

#5 James

James

• Members
        • Pip
        • 3 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:44 AM

With the prospect of playing with a top 5 shooting guard and being on the best front line in the NBA, while also being, without a doubt, "the man" in Houston(as he stated he wants to be) I think he could be lured to play here.(also courtney lee is one of his close friends, assuming we resign him that could help)

Kevin Martin wasn't a top 5 shooting guard when he was actually good... He's not even top 15 right now.

#6 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
          • 1,547 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:49 AM

Anyways I think management will try and acquire both.

How so?

#7 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
            • 1,547 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:50 AM

If I'm picking I'd say I'd rather do Lowry and Scola for Gasol, keeping Martin(he seems like the type of guy Howard wants to play with) and then try to make a run at Howard in free agency. With the prospect of playing with a top 5 shooting guard and being on the best front line in the NBA, while also being, without a doubt, "the man" in Houston(as he stated he wants to be) I think he could be lured to play here.(also courtney lee is one of his close friends, assuming we resign him that could help)

I realize this is a dream scenario, but if we're giving up K-low I'd rather it be for somebody locked up a bit more long term than Howard's half season with no guarantee of him resigning.

Yeah, I wonder how much of a chance there would be for this. Would Howard be willing to overlook Gasol's age? (32 at that time.)

But a team of:

Gasol
              Parsons
              Howard
              Martin
              Dragic?

Would be the favorite out West. But I think it would be difficult to convince Dwight of that.

#8 FelixPR

FelixPR

• Members
              • Pip
              • 41 posts
              • LocationPuerto Rico

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:50 AM

Kevin Martin wasn't a top 5 shooting guard when he was actually good... He's not even top 15 right now.

Hah. Martin is like top 10 when he is on his game. Even in this horrible season he is 4th in scoring at the SG position. Now taking into account defense, youth, potential and passing, top 10 sounds right. Maybe top 15.

SG

Kobe
              Wade
              Harden
              Ellis
              Manu
              Nick Young
              Ray Allen
              JJ
              DeRozan
              Affalo
              Eric Gordon, when healthy
              Paul George (I consider him a SF even if he is starting at SG)
              Jason terry
              Crawford
              Mayo
              Courtney Lee

Etc.. etc..

How many of those guys and others are really above Martin? Maybe 10. Maybe 12. Not 15.

#9 Jdon76

Jdon76

• Members
              • Pip
              • 8 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:52 AM

Okay, I'll recede to saying top 8 shooting guard, but top 15 is just plain wrong. SG's better than him this year: Wade, Kobe, Manu(when he's not dying on the IR), Ellis, Harden an maybe Joe Johnson. Anyone else that jumps into mind as being better with him? It just feels like he's not that good because of the slump.

#10 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                • 1,547 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:52 AM

Now, what if Morey went after Josh Smith? He and Howard are friends. Maybe Smith, Lee and the whole big man legacy (plus the iPad 3) would be enough to convince Howard to sign in the summer.

I agree that Josh Smith is the variable that hasn't been explored yet. Could be a possibility.

#11 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                  • 1,547 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:53 AM

Okay, I'll recede to saying top 8 shooting guard, but top 15 is just plain wrong. SG's better than him this year: Wade, Kobe, Manu(when he's not dying on the IR), Ellis, Harden an maybe Joe Johnson. Anyone else that jumps into mind as being better with him? It just feels like he's not that good because of the slump.

I think with Howard and Gasol behind him, Martin goes back to being top-5. I also think a big part of his performance this year is mental.

#12 Jdon76

Jdon76

• Members
                    • Pip
                    • 8 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:56 AM

Yeah, I wonder how much of a chance there would be for this. Would Howard be willing to overlook Gasol's age? (32 at that time.) But a team of: Gasol Parsons Howard Martin Dragic? Would be the favorite out West. But I think it would be difficult to convince Dwight of that.

I agree it would be hard to convince him just because of the way the Rocket are viewed around the NBA and the fact that despite being the 4th largest city in the Nation players don't consider us a "big market", but maybe they also try to sell him that Motiejunas is coming over next year and when Gasol craps out, he'll be waiting in the wings to take over after having learned behind Gasol for 2-3 years. I'm not sure that would work, just spit ballin now lol

#13 Chuck

Chuck

• Members
                      • Pip
                      • 3 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:58 AM

I voted Howard. to put it simply, he is younger, stronger, and is just flat out better IMO.

the way i see it is that, should we get Howard, i see it being WAAAAAAY easier to convince him to stay here, than having to convince him to come here out of free agency. And obviously, if that doesn't work, tanking begins after this year and hopefully we get better through the draft.

#14 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                        • 1,547 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:04 AM

I voted Howard. to put it simply, he is younger, stronger, and is just flat out better IMO.

the way i see it is that, should we get Howard, i see it being WAAAAAAY easier to convince him to stay here, than having to convince him to come here out of free agency. And obviously, if that doesn't work, tanking begins after this year and hopefully we get better through the draft.

Well, I think there's literally zero chance of convincing him to come in free agency. So if you want Howard, the only chance is to trade for him.

#15 Chuck

Chuck

• Members
                          • Pip
                          • 3 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:07 AM

Well, I think there's literally zero chance of convincing him to come in free agency. So if you want Howard, the only chance is to trade for him.

exactly my point. so why not get him here while we can, then explain to him "hey dwight, look your already here, you know your our main man, let us build around you". That at least gives us a tiny chance of being able to retain him.

#16 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                            • 1,547 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:11 AM

exactly my point. so why not get him here while we can, then explain to him "hey dwight, look your already here, you know your our main man, let us build around you". That at least gives us a tiny chance of being able to retain him.

Yeah, that's what I'd do. I'd swing for the fences and go broke. You have a chance to get, legitimately one of the top 3 players in basketball, and a big man to boot, in his prime. If he leaves, so be it, you went down trying. And you can actually rebuild.

#17 Guest_Zero_*

Guest_Zero_*
                              • Guests

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:54 PM

I agree that Josh Smith is the variable that hasn't been explored yet. Could be a possibility.

I would love the front office to go after Josh Smith. He needs a fresh start and could finally be the top dog he wants to be in Houston.
                              As for the Dwight question, I don't really see him want to stay here. I do agree, however, that the time is ripe for some major gambles, so why the hell not try and pull off something crazy.

#18 chesegovia

chesegovia

• Members
                              • Pip
                              • 13 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:42 AM

Josh Smith Would be a great addition, an athlete PF that can run the floor and is exciting to watch as well. Anyways, I dont understand why people keep saying Dwight wouldnt like to be in Houston, why not I mean we have a tradition of great big men, Moses Malone, Sampson, Olajuwon, Yao, Dwight can be next in line and the fact that Olajuwon has helped him work on his footwork we should use that to our advantage and get Dream to pitch Dwight, and its said he wants to be a marketing brand, and with our china connections he would be HUGE. I would trade Lowry in a second for Dwight and get him in a Rockets uniform and try to keep him long term. We as Rockets fans tho need to show our team support and if this were to happen we need to show Dwight that Houston is indeed a basketball town.

#19 Guest_Zero_*

Guest_Zero_*
                                • Guests

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:56 PM

Hakeem also trained with Kobe and LeBron, so I don't see how that's any argument here.
                                Dwight is a vain egomaniac, he wants bright lights, big city, he won't settle for anything less than LA or NY.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users