Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.

Photo

Rockets plan "to bring in a terrific free agent"

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#41 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:26 AM

'Through three games, the Spurs now hold an astonishing 140-43 bench scoring disparity.'

Still believe that benches don't matter in the playoffs? ^_^

The Spurs are the outlier that proves the rule. Anyone else play their benches?

#42 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,123 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:58 AM

@Steven

all teams play their benches. now how deep they go and how many minutes they allot to the bench is the real issue. IMO you have to dance with the players who got you here. sometimes changing the routine can knock the team out of sync. San Antonio has success because they use more bodies to carry the load so each member is responsible for less of the whole. while their players play they can use more energy in the time they are on the floor because they play less minutes overall. the problem is acquiring enough talent to be able to do that with a team, because just throwing bodies out there will not cut it if the talent level drops to drastically.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#43 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,008 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:10 AM

To me play means in a close game do the bench players combine to play 60 minutes. Blowouts skew the numbers.

#44 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 2,596 posts
      • LocationAlabama

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:28 AM

San Antonio takes chances on veterans that pay off. Diaw was almost out of the league when he got to SA. He lost weight and got back to playing quality ball. They also develop players well because they don't give them too much responsibility too early. They only allow rookies to do a bare minimum on the court until they master a skill and then they get to use that. Kawhi is one of my favorite players. Watching him progress year to year is fun to me.

I don't expect it to happen overnight but I wish we had as good player development. I guess I didn't see enough on that front to be happy about the year overall. If we lost and I saw our players grow I would be happier but Jones hit a wall. DMo didn't get much court time. The only positive is Troy.

Why so Serious? :D

#45 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,123 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:57 AM

@TTDN

I disagree.........I think our player development is good. while we have not yet developed a star player over the last few years we have put quite a few players in the league who have passed through here. P-Pat, M-Morris, G-Smith in addition to the ones we still have. a lot of what you're able to develop depends on where your drafting. sure teams get lucky and through good management even increase their odds a little, but it's mostly luck. it's a fact that the more you start with as far as talent/skill level the greater chance of developing a good player.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#46 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 2,008 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:22 AM

@TTDN
        I disagree.........I think our player development is good. while we have not yet developed a star player over the last few years we have put quite a few players in the league who have passed through here. P-Pat, M-Morris, G-Smith in addition to the ones we still have. a lot of what you're able to develop depends on where your drafting. sure teams get lucky and through good management even increase their odds a little, but it's mostly luck. it's a fact that the more you start with as far as talent/skill level the greater chance of developing a good player.

Don't forget the growth Brooks had, Lowry had, and Dragic had while in Houston. Plus Jones had a PER of 19.25, that's no slouch.

Edited by Steven, 12 May 2014 - 04:22 AM.

#47 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,128 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:19 PM

I agree.  Houston's drafting/talent acquisition and subsequent development are unquestionable.  Let's not forget Patrick Patterson, Marcus Morris, and Chase Budinger.

Our draft history may not have produced stars (no big surprise given the spots we are picking), but it does produce solid NBA players way more often than not.

#48 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,128 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:30 PM

Perhaps the most important "free agent" we bring in this off season will be the new def. coordinator/asst. coach.....and Cleveland just let Mike Brown go...I'm down with that.

#49 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 2,008 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:38 PM

Perhaps the most important "free agent" we bring in this off season will be the new def. coordinator/asst. coach.....and Cleveland just let Mike Brown go...I'm down with that.

Agreed.

#50 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,865 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:02 PM

Yikes, Mike Brown?

His "defense" looked good because he has coached only in the East where there is no such thing as Offense.

#51 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,290 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:17 PM

Mike brown as a head coach is a disaster but as an assistant for defense that wouldn't be a bad hire, admittedly I don't know a whole lot about the assistant coaching carousel and who's available though.

#52 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
              • 4,128 posts
              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:22 PM

Yikes, Mike Brown?

His "defense" looked good because he has coached only in the East where there is no such thing as Offense.

Maybe.  He put in just over a year in LA, but he did have Bryant, Barnes, Artest, and Gasol to work with.  In looking at that team's performance he might fit Morey's mold....High volume of opponent shots with a very low conversion rate, low number of opponent free throws, and the thing I think we might be looking to switch (but maybe not) a very low number of forced turnovers (to me this implies defenders are staying home and not gambling.  We need to get back to the basics on D).

I won't be heart-broken if we don't get him, but based on his reputation as a top flight defensive coach I think he'll definitely be getting a phone call from Morey today.

#53 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPip
              • 1,865 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:39 PM

Maybe.  He put in just over a year in LA, but he did have Bryant, Barnes, Artest, and Gasol to work with.  In looking at that team's performance he might fit Morey's mold....High volume of opponent shots with a very low conversion rate, low number of opponent free throws, and the thing I think we might be looking to switch (but maybe not) a very low number of forced turnovers (to me this implies defenders are staying home and not gambling.  We need to get back to the basics on D).

I won't be heart-broken if we don't get him, but based on his reputation as a top flight defensive coach I think he'll definitely be getting a phone call from Morey today.

Mike Brown took over for the retired Phil Jackson after the Lakers won the NBA Title the prior season.

So was it Mike Brown or Phil Jackson's "system" in place that guide the Lakers to the Western Conference Semi-Finals in Mike Brown's inaugural season?

Mike Brown was then fired after going 1-4 the following season (after an 0-8 preseason start) and D'Antoni took over and was still there until recently resigning in the past couple of weeks.

I just don't get that all of a sudden the Lakers were a defensive juggernaut in the Western Conference under Mike Brown.

Nope, not buying it at all.

Edited by rocketrick, 13 May 2014 - 04:39 PM.

#54 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                • 4,128 posts
                • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:54 PM

Slow down, RocketRick.  Mike Brown started getting head coaching gigs due to his perceived ability to coach up a very good defense as an assistant.....which is what I am saying Morey will most likely take a look at.  It's fine if you think he is garbage.  I think he could be an excellent addition to the staff since I'd say all agree we could use a guy who knows how to craft a top defense--as an assistant.

Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Brown's time as an assistant...I'd think Rockets' fans would like this:

Assistant coach

In 2000, Brown was hired by Gregg Popovich as an assistant coach with the San Antonio Spurs. While with the Spurs, Brown's teams won at least 58 games each season. He also was the head coach for the Spurs' summer league teams in Boston and Salt Lake City.

After winning a championship with San Antonio in 2003, Brown was hired as assistant coach to Rick Carlisle with the Indiana Pacers. He helped lead Indiana to consecutive playoff appearances including a trip to the Eastern Conference Finals in 2004. Brown followed Ron Artest into the stands and was instrumental in getting him back to the locker room during the massive brawl between the Pacers, Detroit Pistons, and Pistons fans at the Palace at Auburn Hills on November 19, 2004.[3]

Brown's record as an assistant coach is 341–201 (.629).[2]

#55 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPip
                • 1,865 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:03 PM

Slow down, RocketRick.  Mike Brown started getting head coaching gigs due to his perceived ability to coach up a very good defense as an assistant.....which is what I am saying Morey will most likely take a look at.  It's fine if you think he is garbage.  I think he could be an excellent addition to the staff since I'd say all agree we could use a guy who knows how to craft a top defense--as an assistant.

Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Brown's time as an assistant...I'd think Rockets' fans would like this:

Assistant coach

In 2000, Brown was hired by Gregg Popovich as an assistant coach with the San Antonio Spurs. While with the Spurs, Brown's teams won at least 58 games each season. He also was the head coach for the Spurs' summer league teams in Boston and Salt Lake City.

After winning a championship with San Antonio in 2003, Brown was hired as assistant coach to Rick Carlisle with the Indiana Pacers. He helped lead Indiana to consecutive playoff appearances including a trip to the Eastern Conference Finals in 2004. Brown followed Ron Artest into the stands and was instrumental in getting him back to the locker room during the massive brawl between the Pacers, Detroit Pistons, and Pistons fans at the Palace at Auburn Hills on November 19, 2004.%5B3%5D

Brown's record as an assistant coach is 341–201 (.629).%5B2%5D

Hmmm, Ok, so Mike Brown was the instrumental guy in Popovich's and Carlisle's coaching success?

Hard to buy that since Popovich has done just fine, thank you, sans Mike Brown.

Carlisle? Well, if anyone believes Dallas has played any defense recently while they made their playoff runs, well, I can't talk you out of your misunderstanding.

I just don't think Mike Brown is anything close to being the NBA Defense Icon going forward.

#56 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 4,123 posts
                  • Locationhouston

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:29 PM

@JG

I agree with rocketrick.............Mike Brown is GARBAGE. in his last two coaching stops they couldn't chase him out of town fast enough. we don't need someone else's recycled castoffs. Mike Brown and McFail..........I can see it now dumb and dumber :lol:

Edited by rockets best fan, 13 May 2014 - 05:31 PM.

#57 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                  • 2,303 posts
                  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:58 PM

@rockets best fan

You wrong for that!!!

How sweet it is!

#58 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                  • 4,128 posts
                  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:12 PM

I can't argue with your logic.  As a head coach, Brown did not impress--at least, after discounting for playing in the East and inheriting Phil's solid Lakers team.

Still, it seems strange to me.....Pop clearly saw something he liked.  Carlisle clearly saw something he liked.  If we trust their intelligence and evaluation then this Mike Brown guy has to have something going on.  I'm not saying those guys' success was based on Brown--that's a bit of a twisting of words and intent there.  I'm saying, if we trust that these guys are high level coaches who understand more about basketball than 99.9% of the world ever will then maybe, just maybe, the fact that they each saw fit to hire Brown is an indication that he is, in fact, not garbage.

Sure, he has been the scapegoat more than once.  Let's walk down memory lane...2008-9 in Cleveland.  The cavs posted the 3rd rated defense in the league that season.  (But it was against the Eastern Conference!!!)  That's true.  But wait....the Cavs went 40-12 against the East that season....and 26-4 against the West.  Very impressive for any team under any coach.  They lost 2 games to the Lakers, 1 to Houston, and 1 to New Orleans.

That season, they were ranked 2nd in opp. fg%, 1st in opp. 3fg%, and 1st in opp. points.

I have no doubt he has flaws, but it seems he has consistently been able to fashion defenses that focus on the things we currently are not doing well with.  Think me a fool, but the guy didn't get to where he is because he's a bad defensive coach--it is quite the opposite.

BTW, I never mentioned anything about Dallas playing defense--that was you Rick.  The mention of Carlisle was during his time in Indiana--with a very, very good defense.  That's not my "misunderstanding"....

He is the Wade Phillips of the NBA--we would do well to get him on board...as an assistant!

#59 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                  • 2,303 posts
                  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:24 PM

You bring up some valid points johnnygold and I'm intrigued. Whoever they get it needs to be someone who has been around the block especially if a third star is brought into the fold.
                  How sweet it is!

#60 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 4,123 posts
                  • Locationhouston

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:47 PM

rumor has it the Rockets are discussing bringing in Mike Brown to coach the defense per clutchfans. just the thought of this turns my stomach

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users