Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.

Photo

First-half MVP?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:31 PM

So who is it? Lebron's on pace for a PER of 32.0!! But he won't get it. Despite his team's less than stellar record, I could see Kobe getting the votes based on his age, sort of like a career-achievement award. (I will say that the fact that an All-time great like Kobe only has one MVP award is a crime.) Rose's team has fared fine without him, which will hurt him. Durant will get votes, but the reason that team has vaulted up the charts is because of Harden. (Though that won't be recognized because it can mainly only be seen when digging deeper into the stats.)

You can't really see a clear-cut frontrunner.

#2 FelixPR

FelixPR

• Members
    • Pip
    • 41 posts
    • LocationPuerto Rico

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:43 PM

I could see Chris Paul getting it if he can perform great and lead the Clippers deep into the playoffs. That is already a pre-built story line. Have the superstar who was denied a MVP before (08), come back from injuries and perform good to great and lead a forever loser team to the playoffs? Hard to deny that story.

Paul's stats (per 36) are

.492 FG% .448 3PT% .843 FT% 3.8 rebounds 8.9 assists 2.4 steals 18.3 points PER

It isn't a KO season like the one Paul has experienced before. Paul is only experiencing careers high in 3PT% and and taking care of the ball better than any season before but assists have been trending down. By stats alone this isn't Paul's greatest season. May not even be his second best season but what this season has is story-lines (Being so called 'due' an MVP and leading the Clippers into a winning team).

As for Kobe only having one MVP, I don't see it much as a crime but more of an amusing thing. Many believe Nash doesn't deserve two MVPs and that one of them should have gone to Kobe. And continuing with that, you have many thinking that Chris Paul deserved the MVP when Kobe got it. Aside from Nash and maybe Dirk, I see nobody on this list in which I can safely and confidently say that Kobe should have won over
    them.

2000–01 Allen Iverson
    2001–02 Tim Duncan^
    2002–03 Tim Duncan^ (2)
    2003–04 Kevin Garnett^
    2004–05 Steve Nash^
    2005–06 Steve Nash^ (2)
    2006–07 Dirk Nowitzki^
    2007–08 Kobe Bryant^
    2008–09 LeBron James^
    2009–10 LeBron James^ (2)
    2010–11 Derrick Rose^

The biggest tragedy is Shaq only having one MVP. (Seriously Iverson?).

Again, voters get tired of simply voting for the best player. As long as there some story or excitement, that will effect their voting.

#3 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
    • 1,547 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:16 AM

Completely had forgotten that Shaq only had one.

Lebron is clearly having the best year, in my opinion, but have the voters forgiven him?

#4 FelixPR

FelixPR

• Members
      • Pip
      • 41 posts
      • LocationPuerto Rico

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:06 AM

Maybe they have forgiven him. It would be best if LBJ kept his mouth shut on certain topics to help his PR image. Tthere is the Finals performance that lingers a bit. Should that one series dictate his performance this season? No but like everything else, there is always something more than just voting for the 'best'. This is why Barkley and Malone won MVPs over Jordan. Were they better? Maybe but the consensus was that they were a bit below in terms of performance but what carried them to the award was a story line. Barkley leading the Suns to "new" heights. Malone, the solid star, toiling away with consistent performances. Malone has no MVP? Shocking! This is now a story. And it became the added push to take that award.

Just like how the standings in the West are wide open, so is the MVP race. Or maybe the MVP race has not been exciting so it feels like an after thought. This season has introduced quite a few stories. The lockout, the veteod trade, CP3 trade, Kobe shooting his arms off, Lakers issues, LInsanity, Rubiomania, Bulls health, Knicks free falling then rising up, Mavs championship hangover, etc.. After the all-star break is when the MVP race will hit the ground running and the media coverage will amp up. Then you can see which way the collective opinion leans towards. Is it LBJ? Has he been forgiven? Is it Chris Paul? Has making the Clippers great making up for his lack of dominant stats? Will Linsanity take over the world? Tune in next time. Same place. Same Batman channel.

#5 Favian Pua

Favian Pua

• Members
      • Pip
      • 27 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:20 PM

The MVP award goes to LeBron hands down, first half or otherwise. His shot selection has dramatically improved this season and there is hardly anything to nitpick about him when he is on the court. Sure, he ends up as media fodder as he always has been, such as his tweet on Perkins' posterization and his possible return to Cleveland. Let's not focus on that. LeBron is doing exactly what every sane human being has been begging him to do since Year One: stop hoisting too many threes, develop a post game, and morph into an unstoppable inside threat.

Could I give the MVP Chris Paul? Probably, but I'm leaning towards a no. Now, I might sound like a purist for saying that his numbers have taken a hit. You'll counter that the Clippers are currently 19-11 and that the Hornets are a complete mess with guys like Gustavo Ayon leading the charge. Basically, your premise is that you'll pick someone whose stats have dropped with the fourth-best record in the Western Conference against the guy who has been selected as Player of the Week/Player of the Month on multiple occasions on the team with the best record in the league. Yes, Paul's numbers have dipped ever so slightly because he is surrounded with superior talent. On the contrary, LeBron led his team to an 8-1 record in the absence of Dwyane Wade. It would be a travesty to overlook that fact.

Simply put, cute storylines will take a backseat this year, except for Linsanity. After all, no one won the MVP for having the most number of Twitter followers. This year's race is going to be completely different from last year, when Derrick Rose won because he was the feel-good story. Don't deny it. Dwight Howard had a superior year statistically for the 52-30 Magic last year. I really want to believe that the voters are rational enough to view someone's performance without seeing the NBA world through rose-colored glasses like last season... no pun intended here.

In good faith, I cannot give the MVP to Dwight Howard. He was robbed of the award last year, but that shouldn't be a reason to make up for last year's mistake and choose him this year. Orlando has been through a rough stretch and Howard wasn't the one huddling his troops together. He actually criticized them and said that changes had to be made.

As for Kobe, he is putting up his share but here we are debating like it's 2007 all over again. Do we simply pick him because he is hauling a mediocre Lakers squad to what looks like a first-round exit this season? And then we'll look back and he realize he has no regular season MVPs in 2009 and 2010 when he actually led them to a title. Logic.

Let's not make the Karl Malone mistake ever again. I read in Bill Simmons' "The Book of Basketball" that Malone simply won the award in 1997 because of a sympathetic feature on the newspaper. The "he hasn't won it yet" or "player X always keeps winning it" rationales should never, ever be the reasons why we pick a player for this coveted award. If Kobe didn't win it in 2006 and Chris Paul didn't win in 2008, that shouldn't be included in the list of reasons why they should get the said award many years after the fact. That manner of argument is completely illogical.

So it's LeBron. I don't see that vote changing unless Jeremy Lin leads the Knicks to a 41-25 record, or something along those lines.

#6 FelixPR

FelixPR

• Members
        • Pip
        • 41 posts
        • LocationPuerto Rico

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:09 PM

Simply put, cute storylines will take a backseat this year, except for Linsanity. After all, no one won the MVP for having the most number of Twitter followers. This year's race is going to be completely different from last year, when Derrick Rose won because he was the feel-good story. Don't deny it. Dwight Howard had a superior year statistically for the 52-30 Magic last year. I really want to believe that the voters are rational enough to view someone's performance without seeing the NBA world through rose-colored glasses like last season... no pun intended here.

I agree on that LBJ should win but it is a tall order to say 'cute storylines' will take a backseat after the way this decade has gone in terms of MVP voting. Sure, there are some years of clear cut winners and no stories and maybe this is another season like that but there should always be room for the hype machine to rear its ugly head and lift someone from the pack to new 'heights'.

As for everything else I agree. No retroactive award giving to Paul or Howard should be considered but they will, especially if Paul performs at a good pace and the Clippers keep winning.

Basically it turns into two different thoughts. Who should win? LeBron. Who will win? Maybe Lebron. And that maybe is something that has been inserted into the MVP conversation for awhile because you just never know which way voters will be swayed.

Edit: Want to tackle this quote below.

On the contrary, LeBron led his team to an 8-1 record in the absence of Dwyane Wade. It would be a travesty to overlook that fact.

Wade has missed 9 games this season. Lebron has missed 1 game which was shared by Wade. While I'll give credit to LBJ leading the team in the 7 games he played without Wade, I think Bosh is deserving of an equal shake at the team record.

Bosh in the 9 games without Wade and 1 game without James.

25.6 pts 7.4 rebounds 2.9 assists 1.2 steals 0.77 blocks 63% FG 45 3PT% 91%FT

James in 8 games without Wade.

29.3 pts 7.6 rebounds 7.6 assists 1.8 steals 0.87 blocks 49% FG 44% 3PT% 80%FT

More fun stats: In games Wade did not play.

Bosh scored 30+ 4 times, scored 25+ 5 times
        James scored 30+ 5 times, scored 25+ 7 times (out of 8)

Both are outstanding lines with Bosh leaning on the more surprising angle since it has been awhile since he averaged those numbers. It is understandable though considering that he has to take a step back for LBJ and Wade. However, while James did lead the team to that record, both players deserve praise for turning into a great 1-2 punch.

#7 Favian Pua

Favian Pua

• Members
        • Pip
        • 27 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:29 AM

Wade has missed 9 games this season. LeBron has missed 1 game which was shared by Wade. While I'll give credit to LBJ leading the team in the 7 games he played without Wade, I think Bosh is deserving of an equal shake at the team record.

Bosh in the 9 games without Wade and 1 game without James.

25.6 pts 7.4 rebounds 2.9 assists 1.2 steals 0.77 blocks 63% FG 45 3PT% 91%FT

James in 8 games without Wade.

29.3 pts 7.6 rebounds 7.6 assists 1.8 steals 0.87 blocks 49% FG 44% 3PT% 80%FT

More fun stats: In games Wade did not play.

Bosh scored 30+ 4 times, scored 25+ 5 times
          James scored 30+ 5 times, scored 25+ 7 times (out of 8)

Both are outstanding lines with Bosh leaning on the more surprising angle since it has been awhile since he averaged those numbers. It is understandable though considering that he has to take a step back for LBJ and Wade. However, while James did lead the team to that record, both players deserve praise for turning into a great 1-2 punch.

You're right, Felix. I overlooked the triple-overtime game between Miami and Atlanta. I now recall James and Wade both sitting out for that one.

Thanks for the heads up.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users