Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.

Photo

Hypothetical Trade Scenarios

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 pharmag

pharmag

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:31 PM

Fair enough majik. I am in no way pushing for this trade. However, since it keeps popping up, if they are going to do it, this is what I would like to see them do. All these demands of the Lakers wanting Lowry are laughable for the exact reason you mention (Gasol is hitting his natural decline, although as a 7 footer it will be much more gradual than Scola's and he will still have value). My theory on trading Dragic is that it makes the trade palatable to the Lakers without giving up Lowry, and if we don't trade Dragic, I am afraid he will walk in FA because his market value will be for a starting position which the Rockets shouldn't pay for a back-up.

#22 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 548 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:40 PM

I'm ok with Dragic going in a trade for Gasol.. His value is high and I agree it may be too costly to retain him this summer, so let him go while his stock is high. Of course it cripples us this season, but I don't see any offers on the table that will put us over the top and into contention (not even Gasol). If Llull is planning on playing real ball next season, in the NBA, that's all the more reason to try and get some value out of Dragic now while we can, and not worry too much about immediately replacing him, Flynn could fill in at least for the meantime. I do agree we should, by no means, trade Lowry for Gasol. Maybe Martin, but not Kyle. with Scola and Gasol in similar states of decline, if we're to have one of them, I'd take Gasol and the 2".

#23 FelixPR

FelixPR

• Members
      • Pip
      • 41 posts
      • LocationPuerto Rico

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:48 AM

If the Rockets really want Gasol then these are some things I would like to see happen or not to see happen.

Don't give up Lowry unless we are upgrading at the PG or C position. Right now Lowry is our best player. Taking the whole package of Lowry (skills, contract, age and leadership) it would be crazy to give all of that up for Gasol. However, it seems that Morey feels the same way since several rumors have him not including Kyle in any trade.

If the Rockets wants to try a straight up deal with the Lakers then mostly likely they will have Dragic, Scola and a SF of their choice (Most likely Bud, could be Morris if pressed) for Gasol. On one hand, Gasol is older and seems to be in some decline and on the other hand, many may balk at the players the Rockets are sending out. I don't consider it to be too ridiculous since the Lakers gain a highly competent and young PG in Dragic (something they don't have), they gain a serviceable starter PF (even in decline Scola still puts up 15 and 6) and they boost their bench with a scoring SF (if Bud), defense (if Parsons), passing and athleticism (if T-Will) or potential (if Morris). Two years ago it would have been ridiculous to trade those pieces for an all-star and NBA champion but here we are with the Lakers in a funk and us with players who can help them in some way. Could the Lakers find a better player for Gasol? Sure but I don't think they can find another scenario where they gain two starters and add a boost to the bench unless it involves the Rockets in some way.

I would not include Martin in this package because it makes no sense. If it is just Lakers and Rockets then why would the Lakers want an expensive bench player like Martin? He isn't versatile like Odom was who can justify a high contract nor can Martin start because Kobe is directly ahead of him. The only way Martin goes if there is a third team and if so, I think the Rockets should at least get something else back aside from Gasol. Maybe include the Wolves. Lakers get Dragic, Beasley and Scola. Wolves get Martin and Rockets get Gasol and maybe something else from the Wolves. If not, then just cut losses and take Gasol only and start Lee at SG. It doesn't sit well with me, not because I believe Lee is not capabale of starting but because I think Martin's value is a bit wasted in a trade like that.

On a side-note about Gasol's decline. Who knows why it is happening. It could be fatigue. It could be his age (miles) catching up to him. It could be the system he plays in. It could be Kobe's incessant need to shoot until his arms fall off. It could be something personal. It could be his place on the team (Downgraded to third option at times behind Bynum?). It could be any combination of these things or none of them. The whole thing is a bit too open to simply pin it on one issue unless it stands out above the others.

Morey makes a trade for Gasol because there is always the chance that he can perform better with us than with the Lakers (if his decline is team related). Gasol on the Rockets would be a first option, second at best if Houston keeps Martin and that would be on a team by team basis. Gasol would have a competent PG passing him the ball here. He would not have a SG who takes a lot of shots nor a young center in need of shots. He would also not benefit from the attention of having Kobe and Bynum on his team, so it goes hand in hand. If Gasol is really in decline then his window is short but it is not catastrophic. Say what you will about him but he won't shrink over night. He will still be over 7 feet tall. He will still have a certain touch around the basket and a style that tends to age gracefully instead of abruptly. His contract is heavy and it is a risk but it seems to be one Morey is willing to take.

#24 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 437 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:55 AM

Doesnt Thabeet for Blatche just scream Morey? I'm not saying that is his primary target, but it just seems like it's something he would try to do given that he took Hill, Flynn, Williams and Thabeet already. Would an expiring contract be enough for the Wiz? I don't know but it seems like something Morey will explore

#25 TwistedNematic

TwistedNematic

• Members
        • Pip
        • 8 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

I like that Blatche trade, poor guy needs to get out of Washington before the city runs him out of town. I know they're trying to get rid of him as quickly possible. Actually, after watching this:

Keep this guy as far from the rockets as possible.

#26 rednation

rednation

• Members
          • Pip
          • 5 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:04 PM

If the Rockets can pry Gasol from LA w/o spending Lowry, then you do it in a heart beat. Scola is on the decline, Martin is very inconsistent and Dragic is on his way out. Martin would just be replaced by Lee, who is a decent scorer but impacts the game on defense with the energy and on-the-ball skills that KMart doesn't possess. This may all be moot points b/c there's no way LA parts w/ Pau w/o getting Lowry in return. LA has been desperate for a pg for yrs now. It's the only reason that they're even dangling Gasol in the first place.

#27 chesegovia

chesegovia

• Members
            • Pip
            • 13 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:06 AM

So how about Josh Smith to Houston? We would included Scola, T-Will & Jordan Hill for Smith and an old friend T-Mac
              It would give ATL a more athletic wing player in Williams and a good big coming off the bench especially with the absence of Horford and Scola is a hard worker and is gives you 18 pts. and 8 reb. per night

#28 chesegovia

chesegovia

• Members
              • Pip
              • 13 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:18 AM

KLow, Dalembert & Thabeet for Dwight Howard? Even if it is a rental, who knows we just need him in a Rockets uniform and its game on from there we gotta pitch him that Houston is the place to be, he'll be the man here and we would surround him with a great team

#29 FelixPR

FelixPR

• Members
                • Pip
                • 41 posts
                • LocationPuerto Rico

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:03 AM

KLow, Dalembert & Thabeet for Dwight Howard? Even if it is a rental, who knows we just need him in a Rockets uniform and its game on from there we gotta pitch him that Houston is the place to be, he'll be the man here and we would surround him with a great team

The Magic would never trade Howard for Lowry/Dalembert and Thabeet. The only way that is even an option is if Morey holds Otis Smith at gun point.

Only way that works is if you get a third team to give youth. Maybe get a team that needs a PG so you can ship Lowry to Team C while throwing picks, expirings and youth at the Magic.

#30 chesegovia

chesegovia

• Members
                • Pip
                • 13 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:10 AM

Im just playing around with espn's trade machine and heres one but things gotta happen, so if the nets werent able to land dwight and dont want to lose deron without getting anything in return, hows a d.will/humphies for kmart/lowry/scola trade sound? Deron returns to his home state, humphies is a one year contract, so you'll be in great position to make a run at Dwight Howard in the offseason.

Rockets starting 5 Nets starting 5

PG: D Will PG: Lowry
                  SG: Lee SG: Martin
                  C: Dalembert C: Lopez
                  PF: Humphries PF: Scola
                  SF: Parsons SF: S. Williams

#31 FelixPR

FelixPR

• Members
                  • Pip
                  • 41 posts
                  • LocationPuerto Rico

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:01 PM

Had a dream that this trade http://games.espn.go...tradeId=7pjt6o4 happened. Actually, original trade included Lowry instead of Dragic but let's roll with this.

Would a team of
                  Lowry or Dragic/Collison
                  Lee/?
                  Granger/Parsons/Morris
                  Smith/Patterson
                  Dalembert/Hill

be appealing to anyone aside from myself?

The one thing I would change from dream me would be to keep Lowry and to maybe get George Hill to back up Lee. If not, then I'll cool with sending one PG away and gaining another (especially since Lowry is out).

I got in a discussion with someone that the Rockets come off the worse and basically end up being mediocre like always. I won't proclaim that team to be a championship winner but it has to be better than current team, no? I mean considering how bad Martin has played and how Scola's defense is non-existent. The one thing I would be curious is the cap space and how it would be moving forward in relation to offering a max deal or close to it to Dwight or someone else.

There are the drawbacks in that Granger is overpaid and that Parsons is working fine with us but a Granger/Lowry/Smith team does make it more attractive for other free agents.

Usually I stay away from hypothetical teams but I would be curious to see how a team like that would operate considering how meh the West is. Also would be nice to show to Howard that we have Lee and Smith, who are his friends, plus Granger and Lowry.

Edit: I didn't take into account if the other teams would do it. Obviously that is the most important part but let's operate in the assumption that the trade does go down.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users