Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.

Photo

Trade Deadline 2014

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:02 PM

I locked the other two threads so we can consolidate everything in here.

What's going to happen?  We know the team's needs (backup wing defender/shooter, backup big man (maybe))...

We know Morey hasn't skipped a trade deadline without a deal.

We know Omer may/may not be happy...

I think they keep Omer and Jeremy but strike some sort of deal to get some under-the-radar wing guy.

#2 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 437 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:20 PM

Ariza, Rush, Miles are guys I like on the perimeter.

Gortat, Biedrins, Mohammed, maybe even Humpries as bigs.

All of those guys are expiring deals at the end of the season.

I like Hawes and Turner as well, but Hawes is unrestrictred and I don't want to give up what we would need to give up to get him for half a season.

#3 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
      • 1,547 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:41 PM

Can't see Washington gutting that team of either Gortat or Ariza.  They could make a push for 3rd seed.

#4 Mitchell Felker

Mitchell Felker

Rookie

• Members
        • PipPip
        • 90 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:25 PM

Its a shame Courney Lee had so many years left.  He would have been ideal.

#5 LouisVuittonJon

LouisVuittonJon

• Members
          • Pip
          • 1 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:27 PM

I'd like morey to try and pry away Greivis Vasquez from Toronto. He deserves to be a starter and would fit nicely into our scheme.

#6 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,182 posts
            • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:31 PM

I posted that big long list of backup wings in one of the other threads where I went through all the teams and found all the guys who could conceivably be available as rotation 3&D guys. Here's what I ended up with (I've only included the ones I thought were feasible, not the full list - see here for all of it):

Alan Anderson (BKN) [Would fit the role we need, I think. Experienced and tenacious, decent shooter]

Austin Daye (TOR) [Lights out shooter. Didn't use to be a great defender in Detroit, but has the tools to be]

Mike Dunleavy (CHI) [Really good shooter, not bad defensively (plus will have learned well under Thibs)]

Cartier Martin (CHI) [Good size, can defend SF. Good shooting numbers from three as well. Super budget option.]

Alonzo Gee (CLE) [Good defender, so-so three point shooter (but better than Brewer)]

CJ Miles (CLE) [Streaky shooter who puts up a good percentage, as Dayak says a good fit. Might be hard to pry away from Cleveland though]

Earl Clark (CLE) [Good size, could feasibly be used as a small-ball 4. Passable three point shooter, good defender]

Chris Copeland (IND) [Good scorer, could play stretch 4. Might be able to prise him loose (although they don't need a centre)] 

John Jenkins (ATL) [Decent young shooter. Might be able to prise him away as he's having a difficult season so far]

DeMarre Carroll (ATL) [We know the FO likes him as he was briefly a Rocket. Tenacious defender, adequate three point shooter]

Chris Singleton (WAS) [Hot shooting this year (43% from three), good defender. Not really seeing much playing time with the Wizards]

Wayne Ellington (DAL) [Out of favour with Carlisle. Would really work for us though.]

Anthony Morrow (NOP) [Lights out shooter, but suspect he isn't seeing the court because of defence. Might be worth a punt though.]

Jordan Hamilton (DEN) [Haven't heard great things about his defence, but he could work. Has a Texas connection too]

Brandon Rush (UTA) [Strong defender, good shooter, wasted in Utah]

The stand-outs from that list for me would be Rush and Singleton - I think they fill a need and would be able to make an impact. But it feels like all of those guys (with the possible exception of Alan Anderson) should be available - they're either not getting much playing time or are on teams looking to tank for the draft.

I'm kind of in the same boat as Rahat - I think we'll keep Asik and Lin. Or rather, I'd really like that to be the case because I think it would be good for the team to have a full year without any changes for once. Plus I don't think their trade values are high enough that we could get what we need in exchange anyway. Any deals that are done will probably revolve around D-Mo, Smith or picks.

ST

#7 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 437 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:35 PM

Can't see Washington gutting that team of either Gortat or Ariza.  They could make a push for 3rd seed.

I don't think they will either, but they know they aren't winning a championship with that roster and they might be worried they can't keep them. That's the hope. I doubt Gortat wants to back Howard up again either.

#8 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPip
              • 1,290 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:09 PM

The wiz want any sort of playoff success right now if anything they will look to add to their roster.
                A small deal for a wing makes sense for the rockets. Too bad Marvin Williams makes so much he's had a very good year

#9 dbd

dbd

Rookie

• Members
                • PipPip
                • 85 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:24 PM

I don't see how Rockets can get a good 3+D guy (or any good player at any position) before deadline.

I believe Morey is keeping all starters. That meant only Asik, Lin, D-Mo, and Casipi has values. (AB and Garcia has no-trade clause).

Asik's value is free falling. Unless we trade him for less, I don't see any taker here. We already failed to trade him once.

Lin has some values  but he is the only player who consistently put up points off the bench. Rockets has one of the worst productive bench due to injuries and inconsistent of Garcia and Casapi. So, we need to bring back 3+D guy plus more if we trade Lin. Not only Lin is scoring well, he can play 1 & 2 and a good insurance for Rockets.

Again, I don't see how Morey can pull this off unless we sell Asik for less.

#10 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPip
                  • 1,182 posts
                  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:30 PM

I don't see how Rockets can get a good 3+D guy (or any good player at any position) before deadline.

I believe Morey is keeping all starters. That meant only Asik, Lin, D-Mo, and Casipi has values. (AB and Garcia has no-trade clause).

Asik's value is free falling. Unless we trade him for less, I don't see any taker here. We already failed to trade him once.

Lin has some values  but he is the only player who consistently put up points off the bench. Rockets has one of the worst productive bench due to injuries and inconsistent of Garcia and Casapi. So, we need to bring back 3+D guy plus more if we trade Lin. Not only Lin is scoring well, he can play 1 & 2 and a good insurance for Rockets.

Again, I don't see how Morey can pull this off unless we sell Asik for less.

It depends on how much Morey is willing to spend. The Rockets still have assets they can use - a first round pick is probably overpaying for any of the guys I've listed above, for example, but Morey can always dangle it if he finds a deal he likes.

ST

#11 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 437 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:45 PM

You could always use Casspi and a second or something.  A second might be enough for some of these guys

#12 Mitchell Felker

Mitchell Felker

Rookie

• Members
                    • PipPip
                    • 90 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:13 PM

For someone like Dunleavy, it would probably be something like Brewer and the Knicks 2nd.  Brewer's deal is non-guaranteed next year, so it's like free money to a cheap team like Chicago. 

#13 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                      • 1,547 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:28 PM

My money is on Dunleavy there.  

#14 Mitchell Felker

Mitchell Felker

Rookie

• Members
                        • PipPip
                        • 90 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:30 PM

Just posted another fake-trade proposal.  Peruse at your leisure. 

#15 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
                          • PipPipPipPipPip
                          • 1,636 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:35 PM

You can easily get a feasible player without giving up asik/Lin or our young bigs demo/smith. A 2nd for Rush. He's wasting away on the end of a bench on a tanking team but ust to be great(45% 3pt) before he tore his ACL and no team has given him the chance to play since. He would easily become the next rocket to revitalize his career in houston. Next season bring up Covington and resign Rush to minimum and a weakness becomes a strength. Also Smith being injured all year might be a blessing in disguise as we can resign him for minimum this offseason and we all know he can be a great nick collision, big off the bench, role player.

#16 Drew in Abilene

Drew in Abilene

• Moderators
                            • 301 posts
                            • LocationAbilene

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:58 PM

I saw a proposed trade on ESPN that sent Asik, Casspi, and Motiejunas for Portland's Wes Matthews and Meyers Leonard. Matthews would be a nice pick-up, especially with him hitting more than 40% of his threes this year, but I'd hate to see D-Mo leave in the deal. 

#17 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
                            • PipPipPipPipPip
                            • 1,182 posts
                            • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:29 AM

I saw a proposed trade on ESPN that sent Asik, Casspi, and Motiejunas for Portland's Wes Matthews and Meyers Leonard. Matthews would be a nice pick-up, especially with him hitting more than 40% of his threes this year, but I'd hate to see D-Mo leave in the deal. 

Surely Portland says no to that? They give up a key part of their identity (Matthews and Lillard bombing from the outside is a core component of their offence) leaving them without a decent two guard to take his place in exchange for what is at best a marginal upgrade at Centre (a healthy Asik is better than Lopez in a vacuum, but taking into account that Asik is coming back from a lengthy injury lay off and Lopez's familiarity with the system and playing with Aldridge, it's not so clear cut). Motiejunas is nice but not worth risking the season's good vibes for.

ST

#18 YaoMan

YaoMan

• Members
                            • PipPipPip
                            • 170 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:52 AM

Surely Portland says no to that? They give up a key part of their identity (Matthews and Lillard bombing from the outside is a core component of their offence) leaving them without a decent two guard to take his place in exchange for what is at best a marginal upgrade at Centre (a healthy Asik is better than Lopez in a vacuum, but taking into account that Asik is coming back from a lengthy injury lay off and Lopez's familiarity with the system and playing with Aldridge, it's not so clear cut). Motiejunas is nice but not worth risking the season's good vibes for.

ST

You're right, Portland is not going to trade Matthews away. I just don't see that happening without someone of his style and quality in return,  I still think Morey will stand pat this deadline and maybe make a move to sign Hawes in the offseason and trade Asik to an East contender for a 3 and D and or more assets.

#19 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                              • 4,128 posts
                              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:24 AM

I think Hawes is going to get better offers than "come back up Dwight Howard and take as little money as possible in Houston".  Somebody is going to give him a decent chunk of change....and probably regret it.

#20 08huangj

08huangj

Rookie

• Members
                              • PipPip
                              • 77 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:30 AM

ST

Agreed. Portland is a deadly enemy of the rockets, too.

Edited by 08huangj, 18 February 2014 - 02:30 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users