Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.

Photo

Will the T-Will fiasco make the Rockets more risk averse?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:31 AM

Another DNP-CD for Terrence Williams tonight. It's looking like he's been pushed completely out of the rotation, once again.

I'm wondering what the effects of this experience will be on Morey and co. The trade itself already was a bit surprising as the team typically has always avoided the flashy athletic specimens in favor of more cerebral, grounded players (Battier, Hayes, Patterson, etc.). But now that it's seemed to have ended in complete failure, with a first round pick sacrificed, I wonder if Morey will avoid risks like these even more.

Ultimately, we know his MO is to chase undervalued gems (Lowry, Lee etc.) But if the player is supposedly 'undervalued' due to character issues, Morey may now consider them properly valued.

#2 Guest_Stephen_*

Guest_Stephen_*
    • Guests

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:38 AM

I doubt it.
    They did try to trade for Gasol,not knowing how happy he would be to be traded and were willing to gamble they could get another FA to team with him.
    They drafted Morris,gambling they could make him an SF and passing on a couple of physical,defending SF types they seemed to need.
    They traded away two of their Firsts for Motie,who had a reputation of not being the most motivated player around.
    It's extremely likely they inquired about Cousins recently.

Morey and Co. don't have that star to build around,so I believe they know they are going to have to gamble and hope the long odds pay off at least once. Once the team has that star-or two-to build around,I doubt they gamble much.(Then again,they were willing to roll the dice w/Artest.)

Somewhat related,it's going to be fascinating what happens between now and Jan 25th w/Lee.
    The Rockets have a policy of not offering extensions to anyone not an All-Star but there are several benefits to signing Lee to one now.
    By extending,they lock him in at fairly cheap salary for 2012,giving themselves all kinds of extra cap room. If they simply waited and made the qualifying offer,he counts some $8mil against the Cap until he's signed or his rights are waived. But w/an extension signed,he only counts some $3.2mil.
    If we assume Flynn,Thabeet and Williams(or Hill) being optioned off Rocket Island and a draft pick in low teens,having Lee extended leaves the Rockets some $14.5(or $15)mil in cap room. Enough for a max FA. And a pretty fair trade package available for a second.
    (A Lowry,Martin,Morris,Patterson package would beat anything Nets,Mavs,Clips could offer. And you'd have to be convinced Bynum was a franchise Center to think a Laker offer would be better. I am assuming the Rockets would have signed Deron Williams in such a scenario.)

The Rockets could conceivably look something like:
    Williams,LLull(as a Second,he doesn't count against Cap)
    Lee
    Parsons,Bud
    Scola,Hill
    Howard,Motie
    Knicks pick
    new $2.5 MLE for teams starting FA under cap
    whatever other Magic player(s) the Rockets had to accept(Davis,Richardson,Duhon)

#3 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
    • 1,547 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:09 AM

Stephen - But I think with Gasol and Morris, those were different type of gambles; types they will continue to take. But Williams was a character gamble. Do they go away from that now? It's hard to acquire talent if you target only choir boys - for example, the Pistons wouldn't have that championship without Rasheed.

#4 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 338 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:10 AM

Ron Artest
        Dorsey
        Von Wafer
        Going after Cousins(both trying to move up to draft him and recently inquiring)
        T-Will

Rahat,
        I think they will still go for them,but will be quicker to cut them loose in the future.
        What we don't know about T-Will is if there is a real character issue off court between him and his coaches,or if he simply isn't as good on court as we imagine. I know I'm guilty of assuming a high ceiling for T-Will,believing he has the ability to play-make for others and be a border-line star. BUT,he hasn't shown that in his appearances on court. What if what we've seen on court is what the coaches have seen on the practice courts.
        The "Williams fiasco" may not be a character driven issue after all,but a talent mis-judgement on Morey's part.

#5 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
        • 1,547 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:54 AM

That's true - he may just not be good.

But what makes me ask this question is because of a tweet from one of the reporters, I can't remember who - he said that the Rockets said they weren't interested in Cousins. (We know they were interested at the time of the draft.)

So I just wonder if the Williams experience has changed their thinking. I think the Williams trade was really the sole blemish on Morey's track record up to date. Every other move he's made has either been a positive or inconsequential.

#6 Guest_TwistedNematic_*

Guest_TwistedNematic_*
          • Guests

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:28 PM

Stephen I have to agree with you, there is no direct evidence that Williams character is the problem. What do we have evidence for is subpar play in the few minutes he has gotten.

#7 bob schmidt

bob schmidt

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 103 posts
          • LocationBrownsville, Texas

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:06 AM

If there is a change, it might be more based upon the negative reaction Morey and Co. got from RA, and now McHale. Coaches want players that they like and want to work with. Apparently, T-Will and Beet do not fall into that category. I am hoping that Morey has decided to listen to the input of his Head Coach and work player acquisitions accordingly...

#8 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 338 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:28 AM

Rahat,
            We may have the answer to your question from Morey himself:

"We were hoping that, from the '09 Draft, we ended up taking a bunch of bets on those lottery picks there. Since we don't usually pick in the lottery, we end up having to take these bets in other ways. Really that whole group from the '09 lottery has .. uh, hasn't really won a lot of minutes.
            ...I think that whole set of guys where we took a lot bets not really panning out yet has been a little disappointing."
            Morey on 1560 via Clutch Fans

Sounds like Morey will continue to take a chance so long as the upside potential outweighs the risks.

#9 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
            • 1,547 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:18 AM

Pretty interesting that he was so candid on that. But yes, I hope he continues to take risks - they'll need to gamble to get talent.

#10 Guest_Mike_*

Guest_Mike_*
              • Guests

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:21 PM

I think he has been good about taking risks. Sometimes they don't pan out. I don't think he will see this as an attitude problem. More just one were the analysis he used to decide T Will was worth the risk should probably be tweaked.
              The kid just can't seem to play. He looks confused.

#11 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
              • 1,547 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:27 AM

I honestly don't feel it's about 'not being able to play.' I've interacted with the guy. I know his type. He just thinks he's above criticism and authority. The guy just has an awful attitude. Notice how all the other young players talk about trying their best to improve. When T-Will doesn't play, he blames everyone but himself.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users