Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.

Photo

Stuck in "no man's land"

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:27 AM

I said before last night's game that it would be the first real indicator of what to expect of this team and unfortunately, the results from the back to back solidify, up to this point, what had been my greatest fear.

Most out there said the Rockets were horrible after their West Coast swing when they were stomped by the Lakers and Clippers and then squashed in a pair against the Thunder. But those games really meant nothing to me. They were against contenders and came while playing with heavy injuries. We lost but that didn't really tell us much more than the obvious. It certainly wasn't enough to label the Rockets "terrible."

Yesterday was a game against a team the Rockets are supposed to beat, and on the road, they beat them. It indicated the team isn't terrible. Tonight, the Rockets lost to a team against whom they probably are supposed to lose.

Summed up, the indications point toward my greatest nightmare: mediocrity. Had the Rockets lost to the Bobcats, you could atleast say they'd be awful and headed towards a high pick. Instead, they won, and are stuck in the middle. The way things are going, it's looking like the Rockets will continue on this path of beating up on the bad teams and losing to the good ones, ensuring themselves the equivalent of 40 wins (in a regular 82 game season.)

To me, as I've said continuously, that's a nightmare. If the team is too far out of it, Daryl Morey could trade Scola and Martin at the deadline. Unfortunately though, by then, it will be too late - those two players (or Scola particularly) will have helped the team to win enough games to sufficiently destroy its draft positioning. You gain nothing from this scenario.

The good news is that at the least, rookie Chandler Parsons is playing heavy minutes and delivering. That is something tangible you can take from this season. Like I had said before the season, if we win on the backs of the young players, it's a transferrible outcome. Unfortunately, aside from the odd good game from Jordan Hill, none of the other young guys on this team are doing much of anything (unless you count Lowry in that group.)

#2 FelixPR

FelixPR

• Members
    • Pip
    • 41 posts
    • LocationPuerto Rico

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:36 AM

The only thing I can say that I am ready mentally for any losing (aka tanking) that may occur in this season. I was hopeful in a playoff appearance and grasping at straws for any type of Cinderella run but at this point I rather just wash away the old and start with a blank canvas.

Trade Martin and Scola. They did the best they could but they can't help us anymore. Find a way to get rid of our surplus of youngsters. Preferably the ones who can't contribute one way or another (Be it by not being good, potential not being shown or simply having a better player in front of them).

If we are going to lose, and by god are we going to lose, we might as well do it in style and just play every player who has some inkling of potential. Except Flynn because he has none. And Hasheem because I don't think he can walk more than 10 minutes without needing an oxygen tank.

#3 Guest_joe_*

Guest_joe_*
    • Guests

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:39 AM

The sad part is, I'm not sure any of this team's young players can even play.

#4 tombrokeoff

tombrokeoff

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 594 posts
    • LocationHouston

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:53 AM

Ho hum

#5 FelixPR

FelixPR

• Members
    • Pip
    • 41 posts
    • LocationPuerto Rico

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:55 AM

There are some who can fulfill a role in our future. Dragic works well as a back-up PG. Lee might work out as a starter but there isn't anything wrong with moving forward with him as our back-up SG. The jury is out on what Hill, Patterson, Parsons, Morris, T-Will, Bud and Hasheem can bring. I know we have seen some glimpses of what each player can do but I don't feel as confident in them as I do with Dragic and Lee.

#6 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
    • 1,547 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:59 AM

There are some who can fulfill a role in our future. Dragic works well as a back-up PG. Lee might work out as a starter but there isn't anything wrong with moving forward with him as our back-up SG. The jury is out on what Hill, Parsons, Morris, T-Will, Bud and Hasheem can bring. I know we have seen some glimpses of what each player can do but I don't feel as confident in them as I do with Dragic and Lee.

The way I see it right now, here is how I classify our young players, at this point:

Keepers:
      Lowry, Lee, Patterson

Solid contributors:
      Parsons, Dragic, Budinger

Jury is still out:
      Hill, Williams

Way too early:
      Morris

Won't have their options picked up:
      Flynn, Thabeet

#7 FelixPR

FelixPR

• Members
      • Pip
      • 41 posts
      • LocationPuerto Rico

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:07 AM

I agree to that. Hopefully we can trade the excess roster places for things of significance.

#8 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
      • 1,547 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:09 AM

I agree to that. Hopefully we can trade the excess roster places for things of significance.

That was the big problem last year. They wanted to be able to package guys to get a star. Only problem was that noone improved.

#9 FelixPR

FelixPR

• Members
        • Pip
        • 41 posts
        • LocationPuerto Rico

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:14 AM

That was the big problem last year. They wanted to be able to package guys to get a star. Only problem was that noone improved.

I would gladly exchange Hasheem for new uniforms.

I will say that the 2009 Draft class has not been kind to us. I wish we had four players from the top 11 in the 2008 draft.

#10 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
        • 1,547 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:16 AM

I would gladly exchange Hasheem for new uniforms.

I will say that the 2009 Draft class has not been kind to us. I wish we had four players from the top 11 in the 2008 draft.

No kidding, out of the four, there's a good chance none of them amount to anything. Williams seems to be in the doghouse now and I'm not sure Hill will ever be able to maintain focus long enough to be consistent. We know about Thabeet and Flynn already..

#11 Guest_RocketFuel_*

Guest_RocketFuel_*
          • Guests

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:17 AM

This is getting really depressing.

#12 Guest_j3000_*

Guest_j3000_*
          • Guests

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:23 AM

face it. the rockets are irrelevant.

#13 Guest_Jason_*

Guest_Jason_*
          • Guests

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:41 AM

Morey is in no position to bargain. Every GM knows he is deperate to get a star. He will not get equal value for any piece we have. He will have to take a gamble. His drafts pick have been fairly safe.

#14 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
          • 1,547 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:54 AM

Morey is in no position to bargain. Every GM knows he is deperate to get a star. He will not get equal value for any piece we have. He will have to take a gamble. His drafts pick have been fairly safe.

This is why I don't understand the people who were against, in theory, a trade for DeMarcus Cousins. If the Rockets want to improve, it will have to be through a gamble.

#15 bob schmidt

bob schmidt

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 103 posts
            • LocationBrownsville, Texas

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:02 PM

It does seem early to write off the whole season... When Lee is functional again and PP is in game shape, we'll have a better idea of where we are at. With a new coach and syster it is too soon to evaluate the actual value of what we have. Personally, I'd dump Flynn and Thabeet immediately though.

As to having considered bringing in Cousins, it is not obvious that he was really available. However, Bogut sat out a couple of games for "personal" reasons and might be someone who could be traded for. I would sure look into that possibility. After another 20 games, if there is no real change, let's have a garage sale and get what we can for the obvious non-contributors on the team...

#16 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
            • Guests

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:54 PM

Patrick Patterson can be an all-star when Scola gets out of his way or they move Scola to the 5.

#17 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
            • Guests

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:56 PM

The way I see it right now, here is how I classify our young players, at this point:

Keepers:
            Lowry, Lee, Patterson

Solid contributors:
            Parsons, Dragic, Budinger

Jury is still out:
            Hill, Williams

Way too early:
            Morris

Won't have their options picked up:
            Flynn, Thabeet

I couldn't agree more, spot on!!

#18 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
            • 1,547 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:32 AM

It does seem early to write off the whole season... When Lee is functional again and PP is in game shape, we'll have a better idea of where we are at. With a new coach and syster it is too soon to evaluate the actual value of what we have. Personally, I'd dump Flynn and Thabeet immediately though.

As to having considered bringing in Cousins, it is not obvious that he was really available. However, Bogut sat out a couple of games for "personal" reasons and might be someone who could be traded for. I would sure look into that possibility. After another 20 games, if there is no real change, let's have a garage sale and get what we can for the obvious non-contributors on the team...

Bob: My fear though is that my that point, even if they have a garage sale, they will already have ruined their draft slot by beating up on the Charlotte's of the world. If we know this team won't be good this year--and I think most here would agree on that point--why not just clean house now?

#19 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
              • 1,547 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:32 AM

Patrick Patterson can be an all-star when Scola gets out of his way or they move Scola to the 5.

I don't know if he can be an All-Star but I definitely see him as a capable long-term starter on a good team.

#20 bob schmidt

bob schmidt

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 103 posts
                • LocationBrownsville, Texas

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:01 AM

Bob: My fear though is that my that point, even if they have a garage sale, they will already have ruined their draft slot by beating up on the Charlotte's of the world. If we know this team won't be good this year--and I think most here would agree on that point--why not just clean house now?

This year's draft is considered to be a deep one, and there is always the potential to move up Rahat. I want to see the team have as much success as it can in order to maybe make Houston a destination of choice for a FA sometime soon. If we turn out to be better than expected with McHale running the show, it does not necessarily "ruin" our draft potential. At least, that's how I see it...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users