Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.

Photo

What is Chandler Parsons' upside?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#41 durvasa

durvasa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:21 PM

There's a nice little article on Chandler Parsons at Hardwood Paroxysm:

http://www.hardwoodp...andler-parsons/

#42 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
    • 1,547 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:40 PM

There's a nice little article on Chandler Parsons at Hardwood Paroxysm:

http://www.hardwoodp...andler-parsons/

Thanks for passing that on. I loved the original one as well.

#43 Guest_Blake_*

Guest_Blake_*
      • Guests

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:14 PM

Parsons is from a University of Florida program that has turned out quality players like Mike Miller, Udonis Haslem, Matt Bonner, David Lee, Joakim Noah, Al Horford, and Corey Brewer. Something is in the Gatorade down there.

#44 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
      • 1,547 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:41 PM

Parsons is from a University of Florida program that has turned out quality players like Mike Miller, Udonis Haslem, Matt Bonner, David Lee, Joakim Noah, Al Horford, and Corey Brewer. Something is in the Gatorade down there.

I don't follow college ball - can someone shed some light on the analysis of Parsons coming out? I know Chase was an expected lottery pick before a disappointing final year. What made Chandler drop to 38?

#45 Guest_rh_rivera_*

Guest_rh_rivera_*
        • Guests

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:59 PM

I don't follow college ball - can someone shed some light on the analysis of Parsons coming out? I know Chase was an expected lottery pick before a disappointing final year. What made Chandler drop to 38?

good because if you did, you'd be pretty upset that the rox won't have a lottery pick this year...2012 draft class is STACKED.

#46 Guest_rh_riera_*

Guest_rh_riera_*
        • Guests

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:00 PM

good because if you did, you'd be pretty upset that the rox won't have a lottery pick this year...2012 draft class is STACKED.

i mean, they might not and if they do it might be 14 again :)

#47 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
        • 1,547 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:25 AM

Well, he's pretty much locked in at the starting spot now. Given his defensive abilities, I don't see him losing that job anytime soon. If he's not shooting well, he's doing other things to help the team win. You can't say that about the other guys he's competing with.

#48 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
          • 1,547 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:51 PM

Chandler now shooting close to 70% since the All-Star break. Barring some massive upgrade in a trade for an All-Star, given his defensive abilities, I think he's pretty much locked in as the starter at the small forward. Hopefully the staff will work with him in the offseason on his shooting.

Also nice that this guy is locked in at like $800,000 a year for the next 3.

#49 durvasa

durvasa

• Members
            • Pip
            • 12 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:05 AM

Chandler Parsons is a keeper. Kobe had some nice words to say about Parsons after the game tonight. "

I think he has a very bright future, and I don't say that about a lot of people."

#50 majik19

majik19

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 272 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:25 AM

You know what's really funny about this? He was almost a toss in to the trade that got us Motiejunas... now he's a starter, possibly for the next several years.

#51 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                • 1,547 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:36 AM

You know what's really funny about this? He was almost a toss in to the trade that got us Motiejunas... now he's a starter, possibly for the next several years.

Depending on how good Motie becomes, that trade could end up being one of the biggest heists in Rockets history.

#52 RocketMan

RocketMan

Rookie

• Members
                  • PipPip
                  • 69 posts
                  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:04 PM

I like Parsons so far. He suits the team well, especially if we upgrade at the PF spot. His passing and spot-up shooting capability would help out a lot with a tough, inside-minded PF (not Scola).

#53 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 4,124 posts
                  • Locationhouston

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:45 AM

I have tried to wait until I saw what I felt was enough of parson's b4 I gave an opinion on him. I have seen enough. while I like him morris should be getting playing time. parsons is good not great just good defensively. his offense stinks. hitting a 3 every now and then is not offense. his offensive game needs serious work. parsons with the right progress will one day be a good backup or sixth man, but he is not the answer at small forward. in my opinion the rockets should continue their search at that position with morris lets see what he can do. also it's time to trade bud. (he struggles to much with cofidence problems that could mean he is not mentally tuff)

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#54 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPip
                  • 1,182 posts
                  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:37 PM

One thing I've noticed about Parsons - while he is an excellent defender in isolation, he REALLY struggles to work around screens - they frequently take him out of the play. I think it's something to do with how much attention he is paying his man - makes it harder to work through the screen and recover.

On the plus side, his shooting stroke has seemed much better recently, and he looks to be improving at the line. I disagree with RBF - I think Parsons has a pretty decent offensive game. It's a nice balance - sometimes he's spotting up, sometimes he's slashing to the basket. He does a good job getting garbage buckets by sneaking to the rim for layups as well. Those dribble drives of his look slow, but they seem to be very effective.

ST

#55 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                  • 1,547 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:46 PM

One thing I've noticed about Parsons - while he is an excellent defender in isolation, he REALLY struggles to work around screens - they frequently take him out of the play. I think it's something to do with how much attention he is paying his man - makes it harder to work through the screen and recover.

Funny you say that as I was told by a very good source that his pick and roll defense is specifically why he was thrust into the lineup. They wanted to be able to switch everything and his rare combination of size and smarts allowed that in more situations. He looks like he can't work around screens because they're switching those plays so he's staying home with the picker while keeping an eye on his own man in case he needs to switch back or double.

#56 majik19

majik19

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 272 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:47 PM

David Thorpe doesn't consider Parsons to even be one of the top 13 rookies as far as upside goes:

http://insider.espn....tch-most-upside (need ESPN Insider)

That is rather disappointing.

#57 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                      • 1,547 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:04 AM

David Thorpe doesn't consider Parsons to even be one of the top 13 rookies as far as upside goes:

http://insider.espn....tch-most-upside (need ESPN Insider)

That is rather disappointing.

I haven't read the piece, so I don't know what his reasoning was...but if it is what I think it is, I can sort of understand. Even though almost everyone agrees Chandler will be a very solid NBA starter for many years, he doesn't really have that much star upside like some of the other guys. Now while those other guys may have more 'star upside', there is a much higher likelihood of Chandler being a productive player than there is for them...if that makes sense.

For example: let's say Stromile Swift had star potential of 30% due to his physical gifts, but Chuck Hayes had star potential of 1% due to his lack of physical gifts. But Swift had potential to be productive at 45% while Hayes' potential was 85%. Similar situation with Chandler...

Though I could be completely off if that's not how Thorpe reasoned it out.

#58 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
                        • PipPipPipPipPip
                        • 1,182 posts
                        • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:35 AM

Funny you say that as I was told by a very good source that his pick and roll defense is specifically why he was thrust into the lineup. They wanted to be able to switch everything and his rare combination of size and smarts allowed that in more situations. He looks like he can't work around screens because they're switching those plays so he's staying home with the picker while keeping an eye on his own man in case he needs to switch back or double.

Interesting. To my untrained eye, it seems as though when this is happening the switch is not generally very effective - the man who was marking the screener often struggles to close on the Parsons' man, allowing him an easy drive or pull-up. But perhaps the fault there lies with the screener's man rather than Parsons? In any case, it looks horrible, even if it's by design.

Re: The Thorpe piece, I can also see where he's coming from. Don't forget, Thorpe really likes Parsons as a player - he was the first guy to put him in a high spot on his rookie lists with regularity (took most other places a long time to cotton on to what he was doing). He sees a good player now, but doesn't expect to see the same level of improvement as he sees from other rookies, and I think that's a valid position. After all, with 4 years of college play under his belt Parsons has had a lot of time to work past some of the obstacles that younger players haven't got to yet.

ST

#59 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                        • 1,547 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:49 AM

Yeah I agree. Forgot to add, like you said, Thorpe is very high on CP. Said he was the best defender on Kevin Durant he had "ever seen." (!) So he's very high on him. But just doesn't think he has star potential. Like you said, I think he has a very valid point.

#60 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
                          • PipPipPip
                          • 437 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:14 PM

You rarely, if ever, find a superstar in the second round with the scouting that goes on these days. To get a good starter that late in the draft is a blessing. I think he has the ability to be a starting SF on a championship team just not the best player. I don't agree with the people who say we need to upgrade at SF. If we can get a superstar we have to go after him no matter what position he plays but I don't think we need to go out of our way to find a SF who is going to be a small improvement over what Parsons have the ability to become.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users