Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.

Photo

What is Chandler Parsons' upside?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Carrol Dawson_*

Guest_Carrol Dawson_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:05 AM

Who was the last second round pick that became a starter this quickly?

#22 Guest_89tyi_*

Guest_89tyi_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:07 AM

This is a great response to the "Why is Morey considered a great GM thread." He finds diamonds in the rough like this. It's funny that CD couldn't even get one guy like this to go with Yao and T-Mac and Morey plucks them every year from the late rounds.

#23 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:10 AM

This is a great response to the "Why is Morey considered a great GM thread." He finds diamonds in the rough like this. It's funny that CD couldn't even get one guy like this to go with Yao and T-Mac and Morey plucks them every year from the late rounds.

I was actually just now thinking that. Brooks, Landry, Scola, Lowry, Bud, Lee, Parsons, Patterson....I'm sure I'm forgetting someone. Morey can fill an NBA roster with contributors in his sleep. It's the high value guys he hasn't had the currency to get. (Why I'm all for tanking.)

And hence, this is my pro-tank argument. Teams that fail through the lottery fail because their GM's can't stock the roster with supporting talent. Morey has proven he can replenish with guys like this. He just has to get himself in a position to get that one guy.

#24 Guest_RocketFuel_*

Guest_RocketFuel_*
    • Guests

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:11 AM

Considering the fact that Carrol himself is in this thread right above you, why don't you ask him why it was so hard?

:D

#25 Guest_Carrol Dawson_*

Guest_Carrol Dawson_*
    • Guests

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:13 AM

Considering the fact that Carrol himself is in this thread right above you, why don't you ask him why it was so hard?

:D

Not a David Wesley fan I take it.

#26 Guest_jason_*

Guest_jason_*
    • Guests

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:38 AM

I think the main reason everyone's so surprised but doesn't want to admit it is that hes white so theyre expecting Matt Bullard.

#27 Guest_jason_*

Guest_jason_*
    • Guests

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:44 AM

Who was the last second round pick that became a starter this quickly?

Wasn't Budinger basically a starter his first year?

#28 Guest_mithal_*

Guest_mithal_*
    • Guests

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:56 AM

I don't see why he can't be a fulltime starter on a championship team. He seems to have all the tools. Great size, shooting, understanding of the game, confidence. He reminds me of Tayshan Prince sort of with his length and shooting. Hopefully he can improve his defense but everything else already seems to be there.

#29 Guest_joe3.0_*

Guest_joe3.0_*
    • Guests

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:28 AM

I saw somewhere else that Parsons played in Europe during the lockout. Might this be the reason he's been off to such a fast start? It's a shame Adelman is gone because I think he would have really thrived under him in that offense. We need to look to move Bud as soon as possible because he is killing us defensively.

#30 Guest_Htownpro_*

Guest_Htownpro_*
    • Guests

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:01 AM

Also don't forget parsons wouldn't be a thought to us if mchale didn't play this kid so fast and freely...loved adelman but we wouldn't have seen him play..most veteran coaches will always stay committed to player veterans..sometimes these young guys can be stars if we gave em the chance..

#31 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
    • 1,547 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:31 AM

Also don't forget parsons wouldn't be a thought to us if mchale didn't play this kid so fast and freely...loved adelman but we wouldn't have seen him play..most veteran coaches will always stay committed to player veterans..sometimes these young guys can be stars if we gave em the chance..

I was thinking about this earlier. And I'm not so sure I completely agree.

I agree absolutely that McHale deserves credit for playing him. But I don't think its a case of McHale > Adelman or anything like that. Adelman played Bud and Aaron heavy minutes in their rookie years. And McHale hasn't given Thabeet any time. T-Will also seems to have had his leash shortened.

I think its just a universal case of coaches going with guys they trust. A guy like Parsons has high IQ and is polished, makes few mistakes. Other young guys don't have those same virtues.

#32 Guest_TwistedNematic_*

Guest_TwistedNematic_*
      • Guests

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:00 PM

I was actually just now thinking that. Brooks, Landry, Scola, Lowry, Bud, Lee, Parsons, Patterson....I'm sure I'm forgetting someone. Morey can fill an NBA roster with contributors in his sleep. It's the high value guys he hasn't had the currency to get. (Why I'm all for tanking.)

And hence, this is my pro-tank argument. Teams that fail through the lottery fail because their GM's can't stock the roster with supporting talent. Morey has proven he can replenish with guys like this. He just has to get himself in a position to get that one guy.

As awesome as Morey has been with those picks, dont forget about thabeet and t-will cause so far they have yielded nothing. And t-will was for a first round pick!

In regards to tanking, fear not rahat, we should be finishing with one of the worst records in the west if we continue to play at the current level.

As for Chandler Parsons or CP25, I've never seen a rookie so aware of the game and how to play it with such confidence. Pretty great stuff, not sure who should be getting credit for that? Florida? Mchale? I can't really picture any of the current rockets being a mentor for the young guy?

#33 Guest_norwegia_*

Guest_norwegia_*
      • Guests

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:41 PM

As for Chandler Parsons or CP25, I've never seen a rookie so aware of the game and how to play it with such confidence. Pretty great stuff, not sure who should be getting credit for that? Florida? Mchale? I can't really picture any of the current rockets being a mentor for the young guy?

Probably Donovan at Florida. Parsons was SEC Player of the Year because even though he didn't dominate any one stat, he was a well rounded player. Morey probably took note of that when drafting him. He has a very Moneyball like approach to the draft; he finds good value players in late rounds.

#34 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
      • 1,547 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:43 AM

In regards to tanking, fear not rahat, we should be finishing with one of the worst records in the west if we continue to play at the current level.

I disagree here...I think this team will be middle of the pack.

You're right on this. I don't remember seeing a rookie play with this much confidence, especially this early on.

#35 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
        • 1,547 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:17 AM

Another solid outing tonight from Parsons. He will need to work on his shooting, but the other facets of his game are already there. I don't remember seeing a rookie before having this much confidence, especially this early in the season.

#36 durvasa

durvasa

• Members
          • Pip
          • 12 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:04 AM

Another solid outing tonight from Parsons -- I think we'll be saying this a lot this year. :)

Parsons is Battier-esque in the sort of offensive and defensive plays he makes. Well, more like a younger, more athletic Battier who can run the floor and handle the ball. If he can add a decent jump shot to his game, he will be the steal of the draft.

#37 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
            • 1,547 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:12 AM

I'm really impressed. He doesn't look like a rookie out there. I know I said that about Chase his rookie year, but Parsons is on another level. Add in that he's 6'10 and you have a guy that can be a starter at the 3 for a very long time.

I asked McHale about Parsons after the game but unfortunately wasn't rolling tape - the answer was hilarious. He told us about Parsons' confusion about picking up his own man in transition and related it back to his own rookie season, facing the same challenge. Still kicking myself over that.

#38 Guest_Phil_*

Guest_Phil_*
              • Guests

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:58 AM

I think that he really reminds me of Landry Fields. Second round steal, and has a great ability to hustle and rebound the ball. His jumpshots are not bad as well...

#39 Guest_Phil_*

Guest_Phil_*
              • Guests

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:00 AM

I think Rockets have to trade their excess players for an all star. they have 4 SF who could actually have a lot of talents and we only need 2!

#40 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
              • 1,547 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:47 PM

I think Rockets have to trade their excess players for an all star. they have 4 SF who could actually have a lot of talents and we only need 2!

The problem is that I don't think any of these guys are enough to get you an All-Star. Recent history seems to be indicating that to get one of these All-Star guys, you need to trade a hot young stud in the deal. A compilation of 'good' young players just isn't enough.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users