Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.
@  Mario Peña : (13 September 2015 - 05:24 PM) Sad to see Moses pass. I don't remember watching him as a Rocket but I do remember his Philly and Hawks teams. He was the perfect man to mentor Dream. It's a very sad day for his family and friends and there are many.
@  majik19 : (12 September 2015 - 09:01 PM) i just saw a post wishing Yao Ming a happy 35th birthday... am I the only one whose mind is blown that he's only 35?
@  cointurtlemoose : (08 September 2015 - 01:17 AM) aaaah, thanks jorge
@  jorgeaam : (08 September 2015 - 12:21 AM) Love it how Hinkie and Morey always target the same players, but hoping he isn't another Covington
@  thejohnnygold : (08 September 2015 - 12:03 AM) Christian Wood has signed with Philly
@  jorgeaam : (07 September 2015 - 10:32 PM) If I'm not wrong, he hasn't been waived yet, they have until october 4th to do that
@  cointurtlemoose : (07 September 2015 - 05:39 PM) Anyone else surprised that Kostas hasn't gotten picked up by anyone yet? I wanna see that guy play somewhere
@  redfaithful : (05 September 2015 - 10:48 PM) Llull line from today loss to Serbia: 30MIN 1-10PG, 0-5 3PG, 4-4FT 6AST, 1TO, 4REB, +/- -11
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html

Photo

Asik and Lin to Brooklyn Nets?

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#41 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,125 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:25 AM

Ha, Good point RudyT :)...I had forgotten that part of Hill's story.

I'll add this.  About 10 years ago I had a thigh contusion that was no joke.  I couldn't walk right for a week (used crutches for a couple of days) and it was more than 2 years before the scar tissue finally went away.  Maybe I'm just soft... :(

#42 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:26 AM

Ha, Good point RudyT :)...I had forgotten that part of Hill's story.

I'll add this. About 10 years ago I had a thigh contusion that was no joke. I couldn't walk for a week and it was more than 2 years before the scar tissue finally went away. Maybe I'm just soft... :(

We can tell that by the hair and the jacket. ;)

#43 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,125 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:42 AM

We can tell that by the hair and the jacket. ;)

Quite the opposite.  It takes a tough man to walk around looking like that.  If anyone ever wants a little culture shock go to Youtube and search "johnny gold".  This guy's videos are....interesting.  There is also a burly, eastern-european? rapper that is....interesting?  You're welcome. :D

#44 RudyT1995

RudyT1995

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 228 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:18 AM

I'm sure Grant Hill has no qualms over playing that series hurt. It didn't ruin his career, for he was playing a DECADE after that one series. Was he the same player, no, but he was still one of 450 men in the world on an NBA roster until he was 40 (or so).

I can't tell if you're kidding.  The injury caused him to miss all or most of 5 of his next 6 seasons.  And it's not like he spent that time relaxing at home and counting his money.  He had five surgeries on that ankle.  One of the surgeries almost killed him.  Hill has said in interviews that playing through the injury was a mistake.  

#45 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,636 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:15 AM

Why do we have these boneheaded Lin fans and haters. They ruin rocket websites. Jatman aren't you the one who posted the idiotic comment insulting asik, tony Parker, and Lin.

ftfy ;) -- JG

#46 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,125 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:02 AM

Why do we have these boneheaded Lin fans and haters. They ruin rocket websites. Jatman aren't you the one who posted the idiotic comment insulting asik, tony Parker, and Lin.

In case I haven't been clear....this is not ok.  Here, try this: Thesaurus.com.

Also, this is a question mark: " ? "  I have found that when one questions another person's intelligence good grammar goes along way.

#47 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 2,008 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:26 AM

In case I haven't been clear....this is not ok. Here, try this: Thesaurus.com.

Also, this is a question mark: " ? " I have found that when one questions another person's intelligence good grammar goes along way.

Idiot moderator Grammer Nazi. ;)

#48 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
          • 1,547 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:04 PM

Jeremy Lin looked so bad at times last night with the 5 turnovers that I found myself wondering for a second how the offense might look with an elite point guard to feed Dwight the ball.  

#49 Knickabokkaz

Knickabokkaz

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 182 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:50 PM

Jeremy Lin looked so bad at times last night with the 5 turnovers that I found myself wondering for a second how the offense might look with an elite point guard to feed Dwight the ball.

Now you sound like a hater Rahat, a typical fan. That was just a VERY stupid comment to make. I don't give a damn if I'm talking to the MAIN GUY on this site, saying it was a VERY STUPID comment without judging fairly. How many games did Lin miss? How many games does Lin even get to practice with D12 on the same team? I guess we all expected Lin to just "be in the flow" of things, even though he rarely gets to play with D12 anyway? How many turnovers did D12 and Parsons have? (4 each). Lets talk about how this offense drastically changes from first unit to second unit. Talk about how Lin is supposedly from last year the 5th best PnR player in the league last year and is 1st in FG% on drives to the basket and how the Rockets DUMB (McHale) and DUMBER (Sampson) don't even exploit that to put pressure on other teams with Lin. He'd be lucky to get a pick. And WTF is an "elite pg" that's going to feed D12 the ball? There's only certain PGs that play like a CP3 or a Rondo. If you really think about it, just about EVERY other "star or superstar" PG is a "scorer".

You know I sat back for 5 seconds and thought myself, maybe if McHale knew how to coach and make adjustments instead of gettin torched by Dirk with the same exact defensive scheme. What's the use of Sampson? Mr defensive genius?

Edited by Knickabokkaz, 24 December 2013 - 01:54 PM.

#50 bboley24

bboley24

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 393 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:40 PM

That just happened.

#51 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 2,008 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:48 PM

Now you sound like a hater Rahat, a typical fan. That was just a VERY stupid comment to make. I don't give a damn if I'm talking to the MAIN GUY on this site, saying it was a VERY STUPID comment without judging fairly. How many games did Lin miss? How many games does Lin even get to practice with D12 on the same team? I guess we all expected Lin to just "be in the flow" of things, even though he rarely gets to play with D12 anyway? How many turnovers did D12 and Parsons have? (4 each). Lets talk about how this offense drastically changes from first unit to second unit. Talk about how Lin is supposedly from last year the 5th best PnR player in the league last year and is 1st in FG% on drives to the basket and how the Rockets DUMB (McHale) and DUMBER (Sampson) don't even exploit that to put pressure on other teams with Lin. He'd be lucky to get a pick. And WTF is an "elite pg" that's going to feed D12 the ball? There's only certain PGs that play like a CP3 or a Rondo. If you really think about it, just about EVERY other "star or superstar" PG is a "scorer".

You know I sat back for 5 seconds and thought myself, maybe if McHale knew how to coach and make adjustments instead of gettin torched by Dirk with the same exact defensive scheme. What's the use of Sampson? Mr defensive genius?

Listen Knick, if it weren't for Rahat, this site would not be around. He is the one guy who thinks before he posts, everytime.

There is zero reason to call ANYONE a hater. You might disagree with a comment, but name calling ruins any chance of a honest civil debate. Name calling is used when you have lost the debate and you are throwing spaghetti noodles against the wall, hoping one sticks.

Rahat didn't personally attack Lin. He had a honest thought about a CP3 being the PG and delivering the ball into the post for D12. In the end, WE all want the same thing, the Rockets hoisting the trophy come June, with a downtown parade a few days later.

#52 Knickabokkaz

Knickabokkaz

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 182 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:00 PM

Listen Knick, if it weren't for Rahat, this site would not be around. He is the one guy who thinks before he posts, everytime.

There is zero reason to call ANYONE a hater. You might disagree with a comment, but name calling ruins any chance of a honest civil debate. Name calling is used when you have lost the debate and you are throwing spaghetti noodles against the wall, hoping one sticks.

Rahat didn't personally attack Lin. He had a honest thought about a CP3 being the PG and delivering the ball into the post for D12. In the end, WE all want the same thing, the Rockets hoisting the trophy come June, with a downtown parade a few days later.

There is a big difference between "calling someone a hater" and "SOUNDING" like a hater as I specifically quoted in my post. Read it again. I'm on this forum because of Rahat. He knows I agree with his analogy 99% of the time but to make that statement he made, I felt IMO was unfair because of the circumstances Lin is put in for certain expectations. If Lin was the starting PG with all the reps with D12 for the whole season and he didn't feed D12 how he should be fed, even I would say, they need a PG to get him the ball and Lin is not the right PG for this team. BUT those are not the circumstances so that's why I said it was a DUMB not thought out comment because obviously Lin isn't put in that situation and is being unfairly judged. If it was my site and I made an analogy, I can't EXPECT for everyone to agree. I'm sure Rahat knows that.

#53 bboley24

bboley24

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 393 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:30 PM

"Meet me at the maaaalllllllllllll...."

#54 BrentYen

BrentYen

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 339 posts
                      • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:51 PM

What I do not understand is, if it was an Elite PG, what would be the differences for feeding D12?? The lob? The entry pass?

Is a big Jeremy Lin fan and was a big ROX fan. More importantly, a huge bball fan in general.

#55 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                      • 4,125 posts
                      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:08 PM

Knickabokkaz, your insistence on thinking the rules don't apply to you is wearing thin.  No one is exempt from the forum standards--no matter who they know.  Daryl Morey himself would have the same responsibility to maintain forum etiquette.

Now, getting to your post...you are neglecting one thing in your defense of Lin and his lack of reps with Howard.  An elite PG wouldn't need any reps to succeed with Howard.  He would get on the floor and look to set up the big man and would do it well.  Paul, Rondo (when healthy), Rubio, and a handful of others would not need practice to do this.  It is PG 101.  These guys don't grow on trees and there is a reason their respective teams cling to them tightly.

Check out Steve Nash from 2010.  He forces the defense to shift and then either hits a cutter or finds a shooter wide open in his spot.  That is what an elite PG does.  That's Jared Dudley and Robin Lopez he is getting easy buckets for.  Imagine Parsons and Howard in their places.

LINK (sorry, the footage is grainy, but you can see what's happening--all in all a fun watch)

Having said this, I will defend Lin by pointing out he is no PG.  He is a combo guard (who is often listed at the point) and should not be held to the same standard.  But that's the thing.  It wasn't an attack on Lin.  It was a question about what makes Houston a better team...and Rahat is right.  I like having Lin on the team, but it is becoming increasingly apparent that a player who can elevate the play of all around him by getting them easy looks would be huge for this squad.  With Howard, Jones, Parsons, Smith, Casspi and Harden all extremely capable finishers inside plus our group of three-point shooters (currently floundering around league average on the whole--but that's the point--they aren't getting the best looks which an elite PG would facilitate) a pass-first PG would boost scoring and efficiency across the board.

BrentYen, the difference is some guys just have a knack for catching the defense in mid-shift (when they are weakest) and delivering a pass that leads to easy scores because it leads the player towards the easy score.  It is what I would call a true assist versus the categorical ones that get counted because you were the last guy to pass the ball before it gets shot.  If those stats were kept (publicly--as I am sure someone tracks them in private) you can bet guys like Paul and Rubio would excel at it.  It is akin to a pass play in football.  Yeah, most QB's can hit a receiver for a completion, but the really good ones hit them in stride and those more often lead to TD's.  It's the same thing in basketball.

Take note of all the times Dwight has amazing post position and seldom receives an entry pass because the ball handler simply does not have the skill, nor the confidence, to send the ball in before 3 seconds would get called.  Ultimately, Dwight has to retreat outside of the paint and then gets the pass a solid 12'-15' from the basket.  This increases difficulty by a mile (as has been discussed) and subsequently lowers efficiency.

#56 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                      • 4,125 posts
                      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:24 PM

One thought on the above point about Dwight posting up.  I need to pay more attention, but he may be setting up too early when he is getting deep post position and the ball handler may not be ready to deliver the pass.  If memory serves, a lot of times he gets down court early and immediately goes for a deep post position--which is great, but not if the PG is still bringing the ball up and trying to survey the floor.  I might be wrong on this...will watch and see.

It seems like an off-the-ball screen to help Dwight get that post position would be a good thing.  Easier said than done, I guess. :unsure:

#57 BrentYen

BrentYen

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 339 posts
                      • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:32 PM

JG, thanks. Funny that I thought Lin always has this passing 1st mentality in the past. Seems like ROX's offense and his new role changed him. I understand what you are saying, you are basically saying an elite PG can constantly making "high quality" ASTs (or Hockey ASTs). Lin had shown that he can do it (not as consistent as a elite PG who ever that is). Before ROX actually get one, shouldn't they just develop Lin into that kind of the PG?

Is a big Jeremy Lin fan and was a big ROX fan. More importantly, a huge bball fan in general.

#58 Knickabokkaz

Knickabokkaz

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 182 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:57 PM

Knickabokkaz, your insistence on thinking the rules don't apply to you is wearing thin. No one is exempt from the forum standards--no matter who they know. Daryl Morey himself would have the same responsibility to maintain forum etiquette.

Now, getting to your post...you are neglecting one thing in your defense of Lin and his lack of reps with Howard. An elite PG wouldn't need any reps to succeed with Howard. He would get on the floor and look to set up the big man and would do it well. Paul, Rondo (when healthy), Rubio, and a handful of others would not need practice to do this. It is PG 101. These guys don't grow on trees and there is a reason their respective teams cling to them tightly.

Check out Steve Nash from 2010. He forces the defense to shift and then either hits a cutter or finds a shooter wide open in his spot. That is what an elite PG does. That's Jared Dudley and Robin Lopez he is getting easy buckets for. Imagine Parsons and Howard in their places.

LINK (sorry, the footage is grainy, but you can see what's happening--all in all a fun watch)

Having said this, I will defend Lin by pointing out he is no PG. He is a combo guard (who is often listed at the point) and should not be held to the same standard. But that's the thing. It wasn't an attack on Lin. It was a question about what makes Houston a better team...and Rahat is right. I like having Lin on the team, but it is becoming increasingly apparent that a player who can elevate the play of all around him by getting them easy looks would be huge for this squad. With Howard, Jones, Parsons, Smith, Casspi and Harden all extremely capable finishers inside plus our group of three-point shooters (currently floundering around league average on the whole--but that's the point--they aren't getting the best looks which an elite PG would facilitate) a pass-first PG would boost scoring and efficiency across the board.

BrentYen, the difference is some guys just have a knack for catching the defense in mid-shift (when they are weakest) and delivering a pass that leads to easy scores because it leads the player towards the easy score. It is what I would call a true assist versus the categorical ones that get counted because you were the last guy to pass the ball before it gets shot. If those stats were kept (publicly--as I am sure someone tracks them in private) you can bet guys like Paul and Rubio would excel at it. It is akin to a pass play in football. Yeah, most QB's can hit a receiver for a completion, but the really good ones hit them in stride and those more often lead to TD's. It's the same thing in basketball.

Take note of all the times Dwight has amazing post position and seldom receives an entry pass because the ball handler simply does not have the skill, nor the confidence, to send the ball in before 3 seconds would get called. Ultimately, Dwight has to retreat outside of the paint and then gets the pass a solid 12'-15' from the basket. This increases difficulty by a mile (as has been discussed) and subsequently lowers efficiency.

1. I laugh at the statement that you made about me somewhat being above the rules of the forum. It's funny how just because you have a personal agenda against me, and I don't kiss anyone's behind on here including Rahat is quite hilarious. I have my own opinion just like everyone else. So your so called *warning* to me is straight funny thinking it's gonna bother me if you ban me. :)

2. It's funny how you point out a PG making other teammates better. Well to the point like you said, Lins treated as more of a combo guard. Well you can't playmake if you dont have the ball now can you. Ex: when Lin was with the Knicks, it went from 2 people being in double figures scoring to about 4 or 5 people in double figures. And who were the scoring juggernauts of that team? Landry Fields, Novak, JR Smith, Billy Walker, Tyson Chandler, Shumpert, and Jared Jeffries? So he's proven he can do it if you give him that opportunity. Why don't you give me stats of Lin playing without Harden even through last year. Proof is in the pudding. It's not about CAN Lin make others better, it's does he have the OPPORTUNITY to do so. And the answer to that is clearly NO.

#59 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
                        • PipPipPipPipPip
                        • 1,290 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:46 PM

The team isn't better without Harden if that's what you are trying to get at.

#60 RudyT1995

RudyT1995

• Members
                          • PipPipPip
                          • 228 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:48 PM

A more simplified version of what JG mentioned is that elite PGs deliver the ball On Time and On Target.  

The ball arrives a fraction of a second too late and the defense catches up to you, a few inches too far off target and it pulls you out of position or breaks your rhythm.  Receiving the ball On Time and On Target is the difference between an easy look and a contested shot and is the difference between playing with a good PG and a mediocre PG.

Edited by RudyT1995, 24 December 2013 - 08:50 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users