Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.
@  Mario Peña : (13 September 2015 - 05:24 PM) Sad to see Moses pass. I don't remember watching him as a Rocket but I do remember his Philly and Hawks teams. He was the perfect man to mentor Dream. It's a very sad day for his family and friends and there are many.
@  majik19 : (12 September 2015 - 09:01 PM) i just saw a post wishing Yao Ming a happy 35th birthday... am I the only one whose mind is blown that he's only 35?
@  cointurtlemoose : (08 September 2015 - 01:17 AM) aaaah, thanks jorge
@  jorgeaam : (08 September 2015 - 12:21 AM) Love it how Hinkie and Morey always target the same players, but hoping he isn't another Covington
@  thejohnnygold : (08 September 2015 - 12:03 AM) Christian Wood has signed with Philly
@  jorgeaam : (07 September 2015 - 10:32 PM) If I'm not wrong, he hasn't been waived yet, they have until october 4th to do that
@  cointurtlemoose : (07 September 2015 - 05:39 PM) Anyone else surprised that Kostas hasn't gotten picked up by anyone yet? I wanna see that guy play somewhere
@  redfaithful : (05 September 2015 - 10:48 PM) Llull line from today loss to Serbia: 30MIN 1-10PG, 0-5 3PG, 4-4FT 6AST, 1TO, 4REB, +/- -11
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html

Photo

Asik and Lin to Brooklyn Nets?

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#21 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:55 PM

You're idiots.....I work in physical therapy. Lin is soft and will always be soft. He has missed the playoffs two years in a row and can't be counted on. Bev held Lillard to 8 points (a guy who is tearing up the league) while pulling down 11 rebounds. Then played great vs S Curry, keeping him to 20 points.......Lin gets destroyed by both of them. Lin fans are the most brain dead.

You work in physical therapy yet you're unaware that back spasms can vary in severity? How is that even possible? Larry Bird retired early because of back spasms, back spasms ruined McGrady's career..

Edited by 2016Champions, 23 December 2013 - 01:55 PM.

#22 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,125 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:48 PM

It's nice to see Jeremy sparking such lively debate :lol:

Remember everyone, calling people idiots, or even just referring to their thoughts/opinions as idiotic is not up to standard.  Let's stay classy and use civilized discourse to point out that other people's thoughts/opinions may not be so good.

EDIT: I've deleted the offending remarks from the earlier posts.

#23 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:46 PM

It's nice to see Jeremy sparking such lively debate :lol:

Remember everyone, calling people idiots, or even just referring to their thoughts/opinions as idiotic is not up to standard. Let's stay classy and use civilized discourse to point out that other people's thoughts/opinions may not be so good.

EDIT: I've deleted the offending remarks from the earlier posts.

Stalin. ;)

#24 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
    • 1,415 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:46 PM

New post: The Houston Rockets and Brooklyn Nets discussed a Deron Williams for Lin/Asik swap
      By: rahat huq

I didn't feel the need to touch this but enough of you have asked me my thoughts that I figured I'd chime in.  First, the source:

Quote:

According to a league source, the Rockets had preliminary talks with the Nets last week about Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin. Talks never gained any steam, but the source said the Rockets were doing their due diligence and Williams' name came up. The Nets balked because one of the main reasons Pierce and Garnett agreed to a trade to Brooklyn was to play with Williams, according to the source. Williams, who signed a five-year, $98 million extension in 2012, was playing well upon returning from an ankle injury, and the Nets were looking better.

Multiple other sources have since come out and confirmed the report, including former Times insider, Howard Beck.

My initial reaction is to think there's now way Daryl Morey would want any part of the injury-prone Williams.  He's owed $21 million in 2016 and has an early termination option worth $22 million in 2017.  And he hasn't even been that good, sporting a PER of 17.1 on the year.  By comparison, that's a tad lower than Jeremy Lin.  On the flip side, when healthy, there's no denying that Williams is one of the most talented point men in the league.  He can also shoot (39% on 3's), nullifying the co-existence problems that would occur in an oft-discussed Rondo scenario.  Harden, Williams, and Dwight Howard would be the most formidable 'Big 3' in the league.

Here's the thing.  In a normal vacuum, there'd be no chance of this ever happening.  If they got Williams, this would be their team through the Dwight era with no wiggle room financially for improvements.  Forget about Kevin Love.  The Rockets also don't have any need for offense - the offense is doing quite well, thank you very much.  But these aren't normal times.  In normal times, you'd just flip Omer Asik for his actual worth, say Thad Young and a pick or whatever, and keep on chugging along.  Now, with the best offer for Asik amounting to a silver platter of horse dung (ie: Brandon Bass and Courtney Lee), the Turkish big man's value is pretty much nonexistent.  Trading for Williams would be the Morey equivalent of not only buying low on a bonafide superstar but also realizing the best possible scenario from a situation gone completely wrong (ie: Asik).  And despite the numbers, Williams is far better than Lin, especially as a facilitator.  Houston could really use a pure point guard to set up Dwight Howard closer to the hoop now that the big man has rounded into form.

The report states a reluctance on Brooklyn's part to part ways with Williams due to the ties with Pierce and Garnett.  But Brooke Lopez's injury would surely make the Nets more agreeable to shipping out Pierce and Garnett.  Swapping Williams for Asik/Lin would be a great head start on starting over, financially, with those two latter players set to expire the summer after next.

I don't think this is a deal that would ever happen.  But at the same time, I didn't think Omer Asik's value would plummet to 'zero.'

#25 RudyT1995

RudyT1995

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 228 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:50 PM

I work in physical therapy. Lin is soft and will always be soft. He has missed the playoffs two years in a row and can't be counted on. Bev held Lillard to 8 points (a guy who is tearing up the league) while pulling down 11 rebounds. Then played great vs S Curry, keeping him to 20 points.......Lin gets destroyed by both of them. Lin fans are the most brain dead.

What does it mean to "work in physical therapy".  If you were a licensed physical therapist, wouldn't you just say that you're a licensed physical therapist. 

Anyway, spasms/contusions can result not just in pain, but also a loss of function depending on severity.  If the muscle won't contract when you tell it to, being tough or soft doesn't really matter. 

Also, what does being "soft" have to do with not being able to guard Lillard or Curry?  That doesn't even make sense.  

Lin and Asik could be "soft" for all we know, I don't know that either guy has had enough opportunity to prove one way or the other.  But even if they were, your reasoning for it doesn't really make sense.  And calling us high, idiots, and brain dead isn't going to change that.

#26 kevingan

kevingan

• Members
        • Pip
        • 49 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:56 PM

I have a proposal that I believe would lessen the heat in discussions that arises when people start to argue about the merits of Jeremy Lin: I'm borrowing it from a group that claims that we should always speak using active verbs and avoiding passive sentences that use "is" and "are" and omit the real subject.  This group claims that if we did that, we would move significantly closer to world peace!  (Not Ron Artest, the real thing.)  This would happen, they say, because we would always be clear about responsibility.

So, for example, instead of saying "Lin is overpaid, there are much better point guards who make less"--a frequent sort of comment--we get rid of the passive "is" and "are" and use active verbs that force us to show who actually does what:

"Morey paid Lin too much in the third year, and in that year, we could find several better guards who make less to take Lin's spot, namely X, Y, and Z."

That statement makes a clear argument which people can analyze and agree or disagree with, without getting emotional and insulting other people.  I find it helpful, for example, because it clarifies a crucial question that the Rockets need to answer: which guards can the Rockets sign for 2014 who will play better than Lin for that year for less than 15 million?  

I don't know the answer to that question--I would think you could get that year for less if you gave someone a multiyear deal, effectively what the Knicks did when they replaced Lin with Felton--but at least we now have a question we can usefully discuss. We could start by noting how well that has worked out for the Knicks.....

Anyway, I hope more active verbs and fewer "is" statements like "Lin is soft" and "Lin is overpaid" will lead to some world peace on the board, at least in the matter of Lin.  I have used all active verb sentences in this post, by the way....

#27 RudyT1995

RudyT1995

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 228 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:13 PM

The report states a reluctance on Brooklyn's part to part ways with Williams due to the ties with Pierce and Garnett.  But Brooke Lopez's injury would surely make the Nets more agreeable to shipping out Pierce and Garnett.  Swapping Williams for Asik/Lin would be a great head start on starting over, financially, with those two latter players set to expire the summer after next.

I don't think this is a deal that would ever happen. 

Gosh, the Nets are in an amazing mess.  The sensible thing would be to dump these contracts and rebuild with a young roster, but they can't really do that because they don't own their first rounder until 2019.  2019!  

It's unbelievable.  The situation is worse than anything I've seen since the 80's.  

Edited by RudyT1995, 23 December 2013 - 07:15 PM.

#28 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,290 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:15 PM

The nets basically saved the blazers hawks and celtics from long rebuilding periods. Billy king is everything you don't want from a gm.

#29 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 3,216 posts
              • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:26 PM

To be fair, it's that crazy billionaire owner who is pressuring Billy King into making these crazy moves. Billy King isn't given the free reign and trust Morey has with Les.

#30 since86rocketsfan

since86rocketsfan

• Members
              • Pip
              • 31 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:47 PM

I totally agree, people seem to forget Beverly took Lin's spot in the playoffs before he got hurt.

#31 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 222 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:50 PM

It may be for the lob passing alone.....all year long the Rockets have struggled with Someone....please Anyone on the team that can deliver the lob!!
                  McHale has pleaded with any of the current players to step up on that account. Dwight on the team and such a potent weapon that could give us another dimension. Like having a Corvette and not being able to go fast...Yeah you can drive it; but don't go over 50 mph. Rockets would be so deadly offensively. Celtics don't want Asik/Lin going to their rivals....probably will get them back to the negotiation table (Marc Spears has reported today of such). Knicks really don't want Asik/Lin w/Nets.

#32 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 222 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:35 PM

You can think my job is whatever you want.....from rehab tech to PT (janitor if you wish). I've worked in my profession for over 10 years. A contusion is a fancy word we like to use for bruise....as is hematoma. Bruise. Asik is being held out so he doesn't get a serious injury prior to a trade (such as ACL or Achilles).
                    I have a lot of respect for Parsons; he wants to win every game for the seeding in the West...just like Tony Parker. The Paces are saying that was the difference vs Miami last year. They are trying to win every game so they get top seeding. Lin picked "selective" surgery two years ago and missed the playoffs....the playoffs!! D-Wade had his knee swelling up every game and had to have it drained between games. Some people want it more.
                    Lin missed last years first round with chest contusion. Again their is that word. Chest bruise....Really. The NBA stands for No Babies Allowed. What will it be this year? Lin better get tougher....or he proves he is not NBA material.

#33 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPip
                    • 1,290 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:11 PM

If you watched the one game Lin did play in the series last year you could tell it wasn't something he could play through without hurting the team. He couldnt shoot or dribble what's the point of playing when you can't play at your normal level? It's better to heal and be fully ready later than struggle in games costing the team wins before. Wade is a hall of fame player even if his knee slows him down a little and takes away his lift his still a competent starter. You could argue wade is tougher than Lin and are probably right but dwade isn't suiting up for the rockets any time soon so what's the point?

#34 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                      • 1,547 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:57 PM

^In fairness, Lin didn't have a long term NBA contract when he had that knee surgery.  By comparison, Wade was already in his 30's, had made millions, and was playing for another title.  

#35 RudyT1995

RudyT1995

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 228 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:00 AM

Lin picked "selective" surgery two years ago and missed the playoffs....the playoffs!! D-Wade had his knee swelling up every game and had to have it drained between games. Some people want it more.
                          Lin missed last years first round with chest contusion. Again their is that word. Chest bruise....Really. 

Did you mean "elective" surgery?    Because if you did, any procedure for a non-life threatening condition is, technically, an elective procedure, and what you said wouldn't make sense.  

Anyway, I don't care what happened two years ago.  I'm not a Knicks fan.

As for last year, calling it a bruise doesn't make it any less severe.  It's like saying that a fracture is just a fancy word for break. Damage is damage.  Lin played in the playoffs.  He got hurt, came back early, was ineffective because of limited range of motion, and the coaches sat him down.  

As far as I can tell, the dude tried to play and got pulled because he was ineffective.  I don't see how that proves that he is soft.  Injury prone maybe, but not soft.

#36 Chai

Chai

• Members
                          • Pip
                          • 47 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:00 AM

Lin missed last years first round with chest contusion. Again their is that word. Chest bruise....Really. The NBA stands for No Babies Allowed. What will it be this year? Lin better get tougher....or he proves he is not NBA material.

Lin picked "selective" surgery two years ago and missed the playoffs....the playoffs!! D-Wade had his knee swelling up every game and had to have it drained between games. Some people want it more.

Your logic astounds me. You're basically suggesting a player go and try to perform at a margin of his full capacity simply because it's the playoffs, while there are other players that are available to step up. A healthy Beverley is better than an injured Lin.

Also, by your logic, Derrick Rose would fall under the same category as Lin for missing the playoffs last year.

#37 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
                            • PipPipPipPip
                            • 671 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:08 AM

Just ignore him that's my 2 cents since he is so aware of a professional athletes body that he can judge their health from his couch. If a person can't distinguish different level of muscle spasm there is no hope.

#38 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
                              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                              • 3,216 posts
                              • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:21 AM

You can think my job is whatever you want.....from rehab tech to PT (janitor if you wish). I've worked in my profession for over 10 years. A contusion is a fancy word we like to use for bruise....as is hematoma. Bruise. Asik is being held out so he doesn't get a serious injury prior to a trade (such as ACL or Achilles).
                              I have a lot of respect for Parsons; he wants to win every game for the seeding in the West...just like Tony Parker. The Paces are saying that was the difference vs Miami last year. They are trying to win every game so they get top seeding. Lin picked "selective" surgery two years ago and missed the playoffs....the playoffs!! D-Wade had his knee swelling up every game and had to have it drained between games. Some people want it more.

Wait, so you're a janitor? That makes a lot more sense. Contusions, like back spasms, also can vary in levels of severity. A minor contusion would be your common bruise where it's more of just the outer layer of skin that's damaged, where as one of the more serious nature would involve damage of the capillaries. An extreme cases chest contusions can cause damage to the lung which has resulted in coughing up of blood--this is lethal.

We have seen Lin elbowed so hard in the head that it resulted in a bruise the size of a golf ball, and yet Lin played on like it was nothing. I highly doubt that Lin would sit out of a playoff game if his chest contusion was minor, plus it was reported that his range of motion was physically limited to the point he couldn't raise his arm above his head--this to me sounds like there was severe internal capillary damage--it was not just a minor contusion.

I admit, I'm no janitor, but in today's era of information I don't think I need to be one to know things.

#39 RudyT1995

RudyT1995

• Members
                              • PipPipPip
                              • 228 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:22 AM

As for the notion that the playoffs are worth risking your health for, I think that's really dumb.  

Championships are worth risking your health for, but a guaranteed first round exit doesn't even come close.

I mean, Grant Hill probably doesn't sit at home and think to himself, "playing hurt in the 2000 playoffs was a good decision.  Getting swept 3-0 in the first round was totally worth ruining my ankle and ruining the rest of my career."  

#40 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
                                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                                • 2,008 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:22 AM

As for the notion that the playoffs are worth risking your health for, I think that's really dumb.

Championships are worth risking your health for, but a guaranteed first round exit doesn't even come close.

I mean, Grant Hill probably doesn't sit at home and think to himself, "playing hurt in the 2000 playoffs was a good decision. Getting swept 3-0 in the first round was totally worth ruining my ankle and ruining the rest of my career."

I'm sure Grant Hill has no qualms over playing that series hurt. It didn't ruin his career, for he was playing a DECADE after that one series. Was he the same player, no, but he was still one of 450 men in the world on an NBA roster until he was 40 (or so).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users