Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Dallas Mavericks 123, Houston Rockets 120: Where's the defense?

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#21 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:47 PM

I wonder if Casspi would have been a better match-up against Dirk just because he can attack Dirk off the dribble a little better than TJ can. Hell, I would have even tried putting Parsons on Dirk, Harden on Marion, Lin on Ellis--I'm surprised we didn't even try this once last night. 

#22 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
  • 2,311 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:17 PM

I am surprised there isn't more emphasis on how well Howard looked amid all the criticism he had been receiving.
How sweet it is!

#23 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,597 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:32 PM

I am surprised there isn't more emphasis on how well Howard looked amid all the criticism he had been receiving.

We lost. If we had won the game we would have talked about him more. However, he manhandled Dallas. He looked pretty good.

Why so Serious? :D

#24 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:44 PM

Also, I don't think anyone has mentioned our very low (for us) total of 11 turnovers.

Let's curb the knee jerk reactions here.  That Frankenstein/McHale photo RBF posted is getting more and more accurate as the villagers assemble with the pitchforks and torches to storm the castle.  The Rockets went cold and the Mavs got hot.  It happens.  Hindsight has little value here and can only serve to help us in future games.  The Mavs made a ton of shots from mid-range and from 3 (they only got 36 in the paint the whole game to our 56).  They shot 50% from three for the night (11-22).

If we had won do you think people would have called for Carlisle's head this way?  "He just let Dwight do whatever he wanted!"  "Marion couldn't contain Parsons--what was he thinking?!?"  "Harden just sank back to back threes from 27 feet out!  Make an adjustment already!"  All of these things happened in the game.

Guys, I know we don't like losing--especially to Dallas--but let's get a grip.  We actually played a pretty good game and let it slip away at the end.  If Dallas misses any one of those fourth quarter shots (Dirk was 6-7 with no shots near the rim, Ellis was 3-4 with one at the rim, Marion was 2-2 with 1 - 3 pointer and 1 at the rim, Calderon was 2-2 with a 3 pointer, and Vince Carter was 1-2 on jumpers.  That is a combined 14-17 from the field.  There were only two other missed shots (both at the rim) so take it to 14-19 and that is still above 75% from the field (and this is before free throws get counted).  We got blitzkrieg'd--which is exactly what Dallas is set up to do.  Only two shots were made at the rim--the rest were jumpers--mostly from mid-range.  Analytics lovers--explain that!  :lol: :lol:  I'm kidding.  See it for what it is--don't panic and point fingers.  We missed and they didn't.

#25 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,597 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:54 PM

Carlisle is a MUCH MUCH better coach than Mchale, so no there would not have been people calling for his head. I agree that we should not look at last night in a vacuum, but as one game in 82.

#26 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:02 PM

I agree that Carlisle has an edge over McHale--I just disagree with how much emphasis is being directed at McHale for the loss.  Yeah, our defense looked bad at times, but does anyone here think Dallas isn't going to wind up top 5 in offense by season's end?  It seemed pretty clear that once they whiffed on Dwight in the off-season they went a full 180 degree shift and decided, "Screw it!  We'll just outscore everybody!"  Last night it worked.

#27 Drew in Abilene

Drew in Abilene

• Moderators
  • 301 posts
  • LocationAbilene

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:07 PM

After all these years, I would love to watch Dirk not get those crazy shots to fall. I know he's a credit to his country, really loyal to his team, one of the greatest foreign players ever, and so on, but I'm really looking forward to him retiring and not playing against him four times a year.

That being said, I'm with thejohnnygold. I hate to see Houston lose, especially to Dallas, but there were great signs last night. Dwight looked great. He was making strong moves in the post and finishing at the rim. Maybe he read Zach Lowe's piece about how he can't hack it down there anymore and doesn't get to the rim from post moves and decided, "I'll show him!" The Rocket's transition game looked strong, and they pushed the tempo most of the night while limiting turnovers. Sure, Jones can't defend Dirk, but nobody defends Dirk very well, and at least Jones was playing well within the offense.

Chalk it up to my optimism if you must, but I saw more good than bad last night.

#28 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:34 PM

Carlisle has won a title coaching, while mchale hasn't done anything of note that's where I assume Carlisle gets more leeway. Either way mchale isn't the one guarding other teams perimeter players that are always lighting it up.

#29 Richards

Richards

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 393 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:43 PM

We are not talking about this one game. We saw same thing last year. How many time we had seen this year? 

#30 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 3,216 posts
      • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:58 PM

Thank you for pointing this out, because for the first 3 quarters I had so many positive things to say, and we shouldn't let negatives blind us from positives. 

Positives:

- Dwight was making quicker decisions than usual, and as a result his post ups were more effective. 

- Dwight showed some impressive passing ability out of the post, and if he keeps improving in this area he could become a real game changer offensively just because it would  make everyone around him better. 

- Dwight changed an incredible amount of shots in the paint.

- The pick and rolls were awesome! It really felt like we could have kept doing that all day and it would have either resulted in a Dwight dunk, a Harden bucket, or a 3 pointer.

- Everyone is definitely getting better at throwing lobs to Dwight. 

- Casspi broke out of his little funk, he played with great confidence and skill tonight. 

- Are Harden's handles getting better? I feel like they are. 

- Terrence Jones is looking more and more comfortable by the minute, he's playing like he belongs. 

- We have been playing beautiful basketball the past two games. After we tie up some loose ends I can see us really turning the corner and going on a win streak. 

Negatives:

- Perimeter/rotation defense--guys are sagging off their man to help Dwight when they should be putting more faith in Dwight, especially when Dallas are raining 3's. 

- Penetration defense, mainly in regards to not being able to stay in front of Monta Ellis. 

- Questionable line-up rotations and defensive assignments

- Not enough Lin. The coach's inconsistency in how he manages Lin's minutes can't be good for Lin's confidence, and I don't think it's good for the Rockets either. 

Edited by 2016Champions, 21 November 2013 - 07:00 PM.

#31 rm90025

rm90025

Rookie

• Members
      • PipPip
      • 91 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:07 PM

Yesterday was a rude wake up call for Lin.  He will not get first team treatment from the coaching staff no matter how well he plays. We saw it all last year and it really hasn't changed. Lin probably decided in his mind yesterday that he will not re-sign with Houston when his contract is up. if I were Harden or Howard, I would go to Lin and tell him that there is no way he should ever have only 5 shots in a game and that as far as they are concerned, he has to look to score no matter how many minutes he gets. As for the Rockets, they're going to have a hard time winning close games if they can't get Harden to take better shots.  It's a fixable problem, but the stats from last year and the playoffs show that he is not a good shooter in the last 5 minutes of a game and isn't that good from the field inside the 3 pt line.  So I think the onus is on him to get higher percentage shots and drives that will lead to FT attempts.  Phil Jackson always demanded a high level of execution in the last 5 minutes. I don't know if McHale has the ability to be that type  of commanding presence with his stars.

#32 datruth

datruth

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 162 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:12 PM

D12 was very good last night, but again it became all about Harden. McHale treatment of Lin is crazy. The reason for starting Beverly was defense, but are we actually better with Beverly on the floor. McHale has no feel for the game, when guys are hot he takes them out and when guys are cold he leaves them in.

#33 oyyo

oyyo

• Members
          • Pip
          • 5 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:13 PM

Couple of my own Comments:

1)  Felt that McHale's rotations were a little off.  Looked like the starters were super tired in the 4th due to mis-management of minutes.

2)  I remember one of the commentators mentioned something about Harden's 3s which I 100% agreed with.  Something about, how Harden is doing horrible behind the arc, but he is STILL jacking up 3s at crunch time

3)  Felt that the Lin's minutes were HORRIBLY mismanaged.  Yes, he was 0-5? But his assist numbers were good for his minutes, and most of his misses came from last minute shots at the end of the clock.  But regardless of his cold shooting, he needs to be able to play it out.  If he is truly the 6th man of the team, he needs to play his 30+ minutes.  Many people argue that his shot was off, so why play him at all.  But please, have you seen other players?   Previous games, both Parsons + Harden shot HORRIBLY, and high TOs, but both still played an absurd 35+ minutes per game despite the cold shooting.  Why is Lin getting pulled for missing 2 shots?  That doesn't make sense to me.  The only reason I could see that happening is for defensive purposes (for Bev), but as shown in the 4th quarter, Ben wasn't doing too much against Monte Ellis.  So the defense purposes is mute.  (heck, in fact, Bev was 1-10 from the field, AND i feel that his defense is a little bit overrated.  Yes, I agree he has better on-ball defense, but its not like hes 100x better than Lin in defense)

#34 metta3311

metta3311

• Members
            • Pip
            • 3 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:25 PM

But I think he is a so so coach.
              ------------------

I thought Houston lost 5-7 games last season due to really poor rotations by McHale. Seen Houston lose a lot of close games with Lin on bench at the end of games. Not nearly as many with Lin playing. I'd like to see the stats on that- close games W/L with and without Lin closing out games.

#35 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
              • 2,311 posts
              • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:25 PM

I have no problem with the way Lin was used last night. He is the sixth man and won't always be a factor in games, that is the nature of his role.

How sweet it is!

#36 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 3,216 posts
              • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:37 PM

I have no problem with the way Lin was used last night. He is the sixth man and won't always be a factor in games, that is the nature of his role.

You're a Lin hater? Now everything makes sense! 

Just kidding. Please don't punish me. 

#37 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 2,597 posts
              • LocationAlabama

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:41 PM

LOL.

But I disagree. If he was your typical 6th man, you'd be right. But he's more of a Jack/Manu/Harden/etc... 6th man that is essential to success. He looked passive at times. He needs to learn how to stay heated up the whole game. I think he will be traded anyway as a package deal with Asik. I hope not, though.

#38 wph342711

wph342711

• Members
              • Pip
              • 15 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:44 PM

More or less agree with FSS.   It is a byproduct of how we've decided to handle the PG situation.  A pattern has emerged - McHale seems to stick with a general rotation of Beverly, Lin, and Harden, with the general presumption that the rotations will be conducted like clock work.  However,  Bevery and Lin's role in a given game also fluctuate depending on what's going on in that specific game.  There have been a few games that Lin stayed in when Beverly would have normally subbed back in, because Lin was playing well and the flow shouldn't be disrupted.  Similar situation with last night - things were going really well with the first unit in the first half, so Lin didn't play that much.  Then at the end of the game, the collapse happened so quickly that I'm not sure it would make much sense to insert Lin for Beverly, particularly since Lin didn't seem to be on his game. And while you can say Lin wasn't himself, particularly in the second half, because he didn't get a chance to get into a flow in the first half, then that suggests he's not fully over his confidence/mental issues.  He plays a very important role for us and he needs to be in attack mode at all times.

That being said, these late game collapses don't help quiet the noise about McHale's overall coaching abilities.

#39 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                • 2,311 posts
                • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:08 PM

No, I am just not a Lin fanatic. I am a Rockets fan and if Lin were traded I wouldn't care what he was doing just as if Asik, Beverley or Jones were to be traded. I care about Rocket players succeeding. I know it's much easier to call people haters which I find a silly word to use unless you're a rapper than see the actual truth. The actual truth for me is I was a Rockets fan long before Lin and I will be one long after he leaves.
                How sweet it is!

#40 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                • 4,137 posts
                • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:11 PM

For the curious, I went and checked some of our favorite 6th man comparisons in regards to how their minutes fluctuate throughout a season.  I tried to use seasons at, or around, the same age.  What I found is that minutes fluctuate wildly from time to time--what we are looking at is are we more concerned with team success or personal success and how the two are connected?

MANU

JACK w/ GSW

HARDEN

I'd say most of us are concerned with overall team success (I know.  Bold statement, right?) vs. one player's success (or is it perceived happiness?).  I believe the 6th man role is crucial to success in the NBA.  This means Lin is crucial to the Rockets' success.  It does not mean he is more important than the team.  The bottom line is he is replaceable.  So is Parsons, Beverley, and just about everyone whose last name doesn't start with "H".  Jeremy is going to be fine and will continue to be a huge part of our success.  Sadly, that will not be enough for many.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users