Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.

Photo

Should Rockets Trade Asik or Lin -- Choose One

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:27 PM

You lost credit by disrespecting Garcia, he's a killer from the 3 and good D. Not to mention every statistical lineup involving him has a very positive net gain.

#22 Knickabokkaz

Knickabokkaz

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 182 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:00 AM

What do you think about a trade that send Lin, Asik, and Jones/DMo to Celtics for Rajon Rondo? Rondo is above average defender, great passer, and a good rebounder PG. With Rondo as the PG, JH will decrease his offensive load, so he can put more energy on defensive end.

Won't work, Harden is ball dominant and so is Rondo.

#23 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,865 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:07 AM

Won't work, Harden is ball dominant and so is Rondo.

Not to mention Rondo still does not have a reliable mid-range jump shot, much less from behind the 3-point line.

The Rockets must have reliable outside shooting to go with having D12 in the starting lineup. I believe a huge reason the Rockets are struggling getting out of the gate this season is precisely because their outside shooting is much more inefficient than last season.

Why hasn't Rondo improved his shooting skills in past off seasons as Lin did this past summer. True, Rondo is recovering from a major injury yet in the prior off seasons he was either unable or unwllling to improve a deficient skill on his own time.

Edited by rocketrick, 13 November 2013 - 12:07 AM.

#24 NickyK

NickyK

• Members
        • Pip
        • 13 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:29 AM

What do you think about a trade that send Lin, Asik, and Jones/DMo to Celtics for Rajon Rondo? Rondo is above average defender, great passer, and a good rebounder PG. With Rondo as the PG, JH will decrease his offensive load, so he can put more energy on defensive end.

This won't work. Harden is the superstar who needs to control the ball and team tempo, meaning ball in his hands most of the time. Without ball handling, Rondo is worse than Lin.

#25 NickyK

NickyK

• Members
          • Pip
          • 13 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:36 AM

Trade Lin. Rockets don't need starting PG if you already have Harden. No PG can work with Harden since Harden demands the ball and runs his offense from top of the key. A 2G/PG coming off the bench making 8M/15M may be too much.

#26 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,865 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:00 AM

Trade Lin. Rockets don't need starting PG if you already have Harden. No PG can work with Harden since Harden demands the ball and runs his offense from top of the key. A 2G/PG coming off the bench making 8M/15M may be too much.

So if it's not important for the Rockets to have a PG, then why is it that often at the end of the second quarter and the end of the game the Rockets have 2 (TWO) PG's on the floor along with Harden?

Lin's salary is a non-determining factor unless better value can be returned via trade. Beverly is struggling offensively and I don't trust AB to play major minutes, J Lin to this point in the season is much too valuable to trade away just for the sake of a trade.

#27 Dayak

Dayak

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 116 posts
              • LocationBorneo Island

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:23 AM

It's Rondo the one who will be our main ballhandler and decision maker if he joins us, not Harden. Rondo will runs our halfcourt offense and set up the tempo with his passing ability and ball control. Carmelo played very good while he was playing alongside Cris Paul in the last Olympic and Carmelo is more ball hogger than Harden and he can play good without the ball, so why can't Harden?

And it will be a good trade for both teams, Rockets in WC got PG they needed and Celtics in EC got an elite defensive center, a potential young PG, and a decent young PF. Celtics with Lin, Bradley, Green, Bass, and Asik on their rosters will strong enough to reach the playoff in EC.

Edited by Dayaknese Warrior, 13 November 2013 - 04:25 AM.

#28 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPip
              • 1,290 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:41 AM

The Olympics are totally different from the nba. Lin asik and jones isn't going to get a star back in a trade.

#29 linonlyfan

linonlyfan

Rookie

• Members
                • PipPip
                • 60 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:02 AM

The Rondo suggestion frightens me. The reason Bev fits in the starting lineup with Harden is because he doesn't claim to know what to do with the ball and will be a 3 and D pg.

I think the team already did the right "trade" moving Lin to 6th man and will wait on further improvement in future seasons. He is getting 30 mins a night, being efficient and a occasional game changer from that spot. The best thing going for Lin to stay in Houston is that he fits with Bev as well allowing extended minutes. Also more to the critical point, who would take on that contract now when you can apparently get Michael Carter Williams in the draft every now and then. Gonna be watching that matchup closely tomorrow!

Asik is a much more difficult issue. Firstly I think he is in very much more demand, and we don't have a real backup centre. I think Morey will get many more offers for Asik and consider those quietly then than he will for Lin. The current inability to integrate the twin towers lineup suggests to me that Morey will be much more opportunistic on a Asik trade offer, but expect him to get the most bang for buck and you generally don't do that by shopping him. Who knows, the whole twin towers experiment could be a soft invitation to bid. 

I still think we should give the team some time to gel. 

#30 RudyT1995

RudyT1995

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 228 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:05 AM

It's Rondo the one who will be our main ballhandler and decision maker if he joins us, not Harden. Rondo will runs our halfcourt offense and set up the tempo with his passing ability and ball control. Carmelo played very good while he was playing alongside Cris Paul in the last Olympic and Carmelo is more ball hogger than Harden and he can play good without the ball, so why can't Harden?

The answer is in your post.  Melo played great with Chris Paul.  Rondo is no Chris Paul.

It's a moot point anyway.  There's no way Boston would trade Rondo for Lin or Asik.  They're trying to get younger.  They want lottery picks.  The Rockets don't have any to offer.

#31 miketheodio

miketheodio

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 353 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:47 AM

asik. i dont really have a lot of confidence in brooks and canaan if lin goes. im a little more ok with greg smith/dmo/tjones as back up bigs

#32 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                      • 4,123 posts
                      • Locationhouston

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:07 AM

been thinking this Rondo idea over and I believe it might be good for us. I'm not worried about Harden and Rondo fighting over who will have the ball. Harden is capable of getting his points much like he did in OKC when Westbrook was in the game. however the benefit is Rondo will set Howard up properly allowing us to maximize his talents. if we can establish Howard in the post to be a greater threat is will open up the 3 point shot. we need a floor general and that's what Rondo is. he directs traffic. I'm not worried about his 3 point shot because he has shown he can be quite an effective scorer in a similar situation in Boston. My only reservation is his attitude................can McHale manage his attitude? if the Rockets are able to get him and a decent backup center this team can blastoff. problem is what is Boston's asking price? if we can only send Asik/Lin.......do it. if the price is any more than that forget it.

Edited by rockets best fan, 13 November 2013 - 07:08 AM.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#33 seetow1

seetow1

• Members
                      • Pip
                      • 13 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:37 AM

been thinking this Rondo idea over and I believe it might be good for us. I'm not worried about Harden and Rondo fighting over who will have the ball. Harden is capable of getting his points much like he did in OKC when Westbrook was in the game. however the benefit is Rondo will set Howard up properly allowing us to maximize his talents. if we can establish Howard in the post to be a greater threat is will open up the 3 point shot. we need a floor general and that's what Rondo is. he directs traffic. I'm not worried about his 3 point shot because he has shown he can be quite an effective scorer in a similar situation in Boston. My only reservation is his attitude................can McHale manage his attitude? if the Rockets are able to get him and a decent backup center this team can blastoff. problem is what is Boston's asking price? if we can only send Asik/Lin.......do it. if the price is any more than that forget it.

I would do it if we could get Rondo + Faverani (backup C) for Asik + Lin. But I do foresee many problems that may arise from the Rondo-Harden tandem. Harden simply does not know how to move off the ball, and neither does Rondo, albeit to a lesser extent. Rondo off the ball would be a terrible idea because he doesn't have a reliable shot (though granted, he can get hot sometimes).

You compared Rondo-Harden to Westbrook-Harden. But if I remember correctly, Harden would usually be the one handling the rock in the half court when playing with Westbrook most of the time. I also don't have much faith in McHale figuring that equation out with regards to Rondo-Harden.

#34 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
                        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                        • 4,123 posts
                        • Locationhouston

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:50 AM

I would do it if we could get Rondo + Faverani (backup C) for Asik + Lin. But I do foresee many problems that may arise from the Rondo-Harden tandem. Harden simply does not know how to move off the ball, and neither does Rondo, albeit to a lesser extent. Rondo off the ball would be a terrible idea because he doesn't have a reliable shot (though granted, he can get hot sometimes).

You compared Rondo-Harden to Westbrook-Harden. But if I remember correctly, Harden would usually be the one handling the rock in the half court when playing with Westbrook most of the time. I also don't have much faith in McHale figuring that equation out with regards to Rondo-Harden.

trust me when Westbrook is in the game he always handles regardless of who else is on the floor. however Harden was able to live with that and I feel as if he can do it here. now the McHale figuring it out part.......you have a valid point :lol:

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#35 Richards

Richards

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 393 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:03 PM

trust me when Westbrook is in the game he always handles regardless of who else is on the floor. however Harden was able to live with that and I feel as if he can do it here. now the McHale figuring it out part.......you have a valid point :lol:

McHale avoids confrontation with stars. Look, Harden went ISO when McHale called for ball movement. Instead of yelling at Harden, he started yelling Lin, Parsons, etc.

#36 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                          • 4,128 posts
                          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:56 PM

McHale avoids confrontation with stars. Look, Harden went ISO when McHale called for ball movement. Instead of yelling at Harden, he started yelling Lin, Parsons, etc.

I can't wait for this story to die.  Has anyone considered that (if this is true at all) McHale shouted at his PG because it is his job to be the floor general and get the play run--which includes getting Harden in line as well?  If we are going to speculate and project we might as well include something more reasonable.

For the record, this is a non-issue as I don't believe the source has any credibility.  Still, I don't mind if McHale shouts at Lin--I actually like it--it means he cares.

Back on topic.  An Asik trade is more likely as I don't think we would get a good enough replacement for Lin to justify doing it.  I love that everyone is aiming high with these trade targets, but let's be a little more objective here.  If you were an NBA GM, would you give up a bona fide star (or near star like Millsap/Horford) for Asik?  Asik + Lin?  Asik + Lin + T-Jones?  (maybe!)

I'm not saying it can't happen, but I think Asik's limitations do limit his overall value.  He will always be a dud on offense.  The bottom line is that is a lot of value going out--and I think this trade would wind up being graded poorly for us unless it nets Kevin Love or Aldridge (which it won't).

My final vote is neither.  Asik should be the back-up.  Jones will be taking the PF spot sooner than later.  Lin is an ideal pg for us (imo) which makes his contract just fine since I would happily pay $8.3M for an ideal fit at PG. 

#37 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                          • 2,303 posts
                          • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:22 PM

I second what johnnygold writes. I would like to see an end to the silly rumours about McHale unfairly yelling at Lin, it's just the echo chamber with no truth to it. I hope Red94 members are intelligent enough to understand the reality of the situation.

As to the topic at hand I also believe neither should be traded till the entire season and post season can be evaluated, there is a big picture to consider.
                          How sweet it is!

#38 bearkat414

bearkat414

• Members
                          • Pip
                          • 27 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:55 PM

How much of the rockets struggles is due to the fact that our guards have never played with an elite quick big man and dont know how to effectively pass the ball inside?  We take that pass for granted like we would a qb throwing to the opp side of the field at the side line numbers....a throw that has to be made, but is easier said than done.  one they have that timing down I would look to see major improvements on the offensive end, leading to more efficient scoring, which should, in turn, lead to better defense.  this is the best looking you and athletic team that ive ever seen that truly seems to suck at the lob alley oop pass btw.

#39 Knickabokkaz

Knickabokkaz

• Members
                            • PipPipPip
                            • 182 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:58 PM

I second what johnnygold writes. I would like to see an end to the silly rumours about McHale unfairly yelling at Lin, it's just the echo chamber with no truth to it. I hope Red94 members are intelligent enough to understand the reality of the situation.

As to the topic at hand I also believe neither should be traded till the entire season and post season can be evaluated, there is a big picture to consider.

Is it a rumor because there is no substantial evidence of an article written by Houston reporters or beat writers or is it a rumor because you just stick to your opinion and totally discredit what a lot of other people think and see with their own eyes. I guess we should all just read what's written to determine the true and false statements. Forget the eye test, forget if your a fan and you see it in person just like a Clippers fan pointed out in Cluthfans.

I hope Lin gets traded for the simple fact that it will pretty much be better for himself. I hope he doesn't get traded because of the chemistry that can be built with this team and they can go far "as a team".

#40 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                              • 4,128 posts
                              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:17 PM

I deem it to be a rumor.  I traced the source when this first came out and I do not find this "fan's" account to be very credible.  You are welcome to do so.

Here is my original post when the topic first surfaced:

"I think we have our answer HERE.  That links to the original poster's facebook page where you will immediately see a bevy of Jeremy Lin photos. :wub: It is a fan girl--plain and simple.  Take her story as you like.  The trail goes from reddit.com/r/rockets to r/nba to Houston Rockets Facebook to her.  Source matters. :ph34r:

Also her unbiased observations came from a game where we were getting destroyed--I'm sure everyone was very frustrated.  No big deal."

I have not seen, nor read, any articles or reports from Houston writers.  Do you have any links for those as I would like to read them?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users