Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.
@  Mario Peña : (13 September 2015 - 05:24 PM) Sad to see Moses pass. I don't remember watching him as a Rocket but I do remember his Philly and Hawks teams. He was the perfect man to mentor Dream. It's a very sad day for his family and friends and there are many.
@  majik19 : (12 September 2015 - 09:01 PM) i just saw a post wishing Yao Ming a happy 35th birthday... am I the only one whose mind is blown that he's only 35?
@  cointurtlemoose : (08 September 2015 - 01:17 AM) aaaah, thanks jorge
@  jorgeaam : (08 September 2015 - 12:21 AM) Love it how Hinkie and Morey always target the same players, but hoping he isn't another Covington
@  thejohnnygold : (08 September 2015 - 12:03 AM) Christian Wood has signed with Philly
@  jorgeaam : (07 September 2015 - 10:32 PM) If I'm not wrong, he hasn't been waived yet, they have until october 4th to do that
@  cointurtlemoose : (07 September 2015 - 05:39 PM) Anyone else surprised that Kostas hasn't gotten picked up by anyone yet? I wanna see that guy play somewhere
@  redfaithful : (05 September 2015 - 10:48 PM) Llull line from today loss to Serbia: 30MIN 1-10PG, 0-5 3PG, 4-4FT 6AST, 1TO, 4REB, +/- -11
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html

Photo

Fighting for Seeding

Playoffs

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#41 Drew in Abilene

Drew in Abilene

• Moderators
  • 301 posts
  • LocationAbilene

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:08 PM

Maybe I'll change my mind by the end of the season or in the playoffs, but I think I could be convinced that Houston's best bets for seeding would be the 2 or 3 seed, followed by the 6 or 7 seed. I would still feel pretty confident in the Rockets if they were matched up against San Antonio, Portland, or L.A. in the first round, and that would mean not running into OKC in the second round... I guess I just think the Thunder will make the Finals this year, and feel much more positive about Houston's chances against any other team.

#42 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
  • 2,298 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:17 PM

I agree Drew I would rather see the Rockets avoid Durant in the post season as long as possible. Thanks for putting such a quality topic up, between last night and this morning I read all your posts, good stuff!
How sweet it is!

#43 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,125 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:42 PM

Agreed.  Nice one Drew.  I appreciate your sense of humor. :lol:

#44 redfaithful

redfaithful

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:29 AM

As the season progresses the tiers in the west become clearer to me. I'll start from the bottom:

5. Main interest is lottery: Lakers, Utah, Sacramento

4. This year is lost: Minnesota, Denver, New Orleans

3. Fighting for the 3 bottom playoff spots: Golden State, Dallas, Phoenix, Memphis

2. Second tier: Clippers, Portland, San Antonio, Houston

1. Clear best: Oklahoma City

So for the Rockets to avoid OKC we should be at least the second best in the second tier. Currently seems doable...

#45 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:14 PM

As the season progresses the tiers in the west become clearer to me. I'll start from the bottom:

5. Main interest is lottery: Lakers, Utah, Sacramento
    4. This year is lost: Minnesota, Denver, New Orleans
    3. Fighting for the 3 bottom playoff spots: Golden State, Dallas, Phoenix, Memphis
    2. Second tier: Clippers, Portland, San Antonio, Houston
    1. Clear best: Oklahoma City

So for the Rockets to avoid OKC we should be at least the second best in the second tier. Currently seems doable...

The only thing I would change is adding Minnesota in tier 3, fighting for one of the final 3 playoff spots. They have a solid roster and a Coach all of us are familiar with, Rick Adelman, so unless the injury bug hits them hard the remainder of this season they should be in the middle of fighting for a playoff spot.

If Minnesota can't make the playoffs this season, what does that say about Kevin Love?

#46 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,636 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:03 PM

He has a terrible team around him.

#47 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,865 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:09 PM

He has a terrible team around him.

I don't know about that. Rubio and Pekovic are far from being terrible players. And KMart has been lighting it up for them this season. Perhaps other teams are just figuring out how to defend against them better this season. Rubio, for one, just has never developed a consistent outside shot. So sag off of him and keep him in front of you is likely the mantra all the other guards in the league hear from their coaches. Love doesn't really have an inside game, so stay on him and at least make his 3 point shots more difficult. Their team seems to play better in an uptempo situation. Their defense is probably their downfall though more than anything.

#48 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,636 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:24 PM

Rubio is an offensive liability sand Knart and Pek are defensive liabilities and they have bad depth. Bad team.

#49 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,865 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:30 PM

Rubio is an offensive liability sand Knart and Pek are defensive liabilities and they have bad depth. Bad team.

Too bad they're not in the Leastern Conference this season!

#50 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
            • 2,298 posts
            • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:28 PM

To me this season has been a red flag with regards to Love being a franchise player. He has to at least make the playoffs in my opinion. He's starting to look more like a third best player that would put up 20 and 10 on a contender with an elite defensive center and an elite offensive wing. Just my opinion.

So as this season goes on I say to myself "why not just wait and develop Jones?"
            How sweet it is!

#51 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,865 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:40 PM

To me this season has been a red flag with regards to Love being a franchise player. He has to at least make the playoffs in my opinion. He's starting to look more like a third best player that would put up 20 and 10 on a contender with an elite defensive center and an elite offensive wing. Just my opinion.

So as this season goes on I say to myself "why not just wait and develop Jones?"

If TJones could consistently hit a 3 point shot, that would make him untradeable in my opinion. Another offseason or two working on his shooting stroke might be all that is required to get TJones to move to the next level. Then the Rockets would be set with Harden, Parson, TJones and D12 leaving only the PG spot in the future open. AB's contract expires at the end of this season, Lin's contract expires at the end of next season and Beverley's contract expires at the end of the following season.

I like our team as it is currently constructed and if the Rockets end up re-signing a couple of these PG's, then that would probably mean better options were unavailable. So a good spot to be in, if you ask me!

Edited by rocketrick, 05 February 2014 - 04:41 PM.

#52 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPip
              • 1,865 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:43 PM

To me this season has been a red flag with regards to Love being a franchise player.

Totally agree with you. KLove will likely get a max contract with someone at the end of next season, but if he continues to be a 1- or 2-trick pony, I don't see him fitting in with the Rockets for that price.

#53 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPip
                • 1,636 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:05 PM

I hate it when I forget to check typos on my iPhone, there's always bound to be a couple.

#54 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPip
                  • 1,636 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:07 PM

Love should not be the first option on a team IMO and he should be paired with a defensive anchor.

#55 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                    • 4,125 posts
                    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:53 PM

I don't know where this notion that Pekovic is a bad defender comes from.  Minnesota may have bad team defense, but Pek is solid.

For comparison, here are Pek's numbers (white rows) next to Dwight's (grey):

So, unless there is some evidence supporting the idea that Pek is a bad defender can we let that go?

#56 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPip
                    • 1,636 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:03 PM

I decided to some research on Pek after I saw those stats, they say one highlight of the wolves season besides being healthy and love to Brewer outlet passes is Pek's improvement on both sides of the floor. My mistake.

#57 Drew in Abilene

Drew in Abilene

• Moderators
                      • 301 posts
                      • LocationAbilene

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:02 PM

Just when I'm ready to give up hope of the Rockets snagging the two seed, the Spurs, Blazers, and Clippers all begin to look mortal. It's still a long shot by my estimation, but Houston has been playing some of their best ball as of late, and have already overtaken the Clippers in the standings. Strong wins over a reeling Cavs team and a surging Phoenix have meant that this less hectic week has been successful so far. Health has returned, little by little, to Houston. Garcia returns to add depth behind Harden and Parsons, and even Asik is rumored to be on the mend within the next week or so. Three games stand between the Rockets and the All-Star Break, and the Bucks, Timberwolves, and Wizards are all very beatable. It's possible Houston could be riding a seven game winning streak by then, which could catapult them even higher into the standings.

The Thunder still look great. Westbrook could return soon to a team that has lost one game since January 15th. That's a scary prospect. Will the pundits start in on Westbrook if the Thunder play a little less dominantly when he comes back to the line-up? Probably, because they've got to rile people up as a part of their jobs. Personally, once they're at full strength again, I have a hard time imagining any team other than Miami or Indiana beating them four out of seven.

With Ginobili and Leonard out, the Spurs have not looked the same. Maybe it's because Popp has to redo minutes, maybe it's the scoring punch they bring to the table, or maybe those filling in just can't handle the same responsibilities as these two. All of which are understandable problems that should probably lead to losing a couple of winnable games. That's exactly what has happened. Yet I'm still bitter that the Wizards coughed up a double digit lead to let the Spurs steal a win in double-overtime last night. Duncan fouled out! You should be able to ice a game with no Duncan, Leonard, or Ginobili! Even so, 6-6 over their last twelve gives hope that they can be overtaken in the standings, especially as they begin resting key players towards the end of the season.

Since the Rockets broke their winning streak in mid-January, the Trailblazers have dropped five of nine. Many predicted that Portland would be unable to maintain the ridiculous pace with which they started the season. While they still boast the third best record in The Loaded West, that record is built on a 17-3 record against Eastern Conference foes. Wins are wins, to be sure, but recent losses to the Warriors, Rockets, Thunder, and Grizzlies are of concern for a team expecting to make noise in the playoffs.

Shorthanded last night, the Clippers nearly stole one from the Heat. Griffin poured in the points in the absence of Reddick and CP3. But their effort was rewarded with another game in the loss column. After making serious progress toward the second seed in the conference, if the playoffs started today they'd be on the road in the first round. Obviously, missing their two back court starters complicates matters, but LAC has high expectations this year. 

A rare shout out to Golden State this week! You have heeded my sage advice from my last post. You have lost to teams like the Bobcats and Wizards, which keeps you down in the standings, but have also beaten the Clippers and Blazers, allowing the Rockets to make up ground. For this, you have my thanks. Keep it up for the rest of the season, and I may choose not to root for you to be unceremoniously swept out of the playoffs!

Memphis has lost some ground in the race for the eighth seed, but still looks formidable. The Gasol-Randolph pairing is still as potent as in years past. While I'm frustrated that Houston split the season series with them, at least we don't have any more games scheduled against these bruisers. They look like the low seed everyone want to avoid in the first round.

What's up with the Suns? I feel like I'm either watching the old school Justice League (Wonder-Twin Powers: Activate!) or the Keanu Reeves/Gene Hackman film, The Replacements. Both involve a set of twins who are much better together than when separated. And if the Morris twins are impressing this year, Dragic is dominating. He's dropping threes and driving to the bucket. Phoenix has me believing that they can sustain this run and make the post-season. Last summer, I wouldn't have believed it...

Dallas really needs to figure out if they're a good team or not. I'm tired of trying to figure out what to say about them. Instead of something substantial, I just know them as a fringe playoff team. Personally, I hope they languish in the nine seed.  

Rockets: 33-17 (4th Seed)

1. Thunder: 40-11 (1 Seed)
                      2. Spurs: 36-13 (2 Seed)
                      3. Trailblazers: 35-14 (3 Seed)
                      4. Clippers: 34-18 (5 Seed)
                      5. Warriors: 29-20 (6 Seed)
                      6. Grizzlies: 26-22 (9 Seed)
                      7. Mavericks: 29-21 (8 Seed)
                      8. Suns: 29-20 (7 Seed)

What's an optimistically plausible situation for the Rockets in the playoffs? If the two seed was reachable, that could give the Rockets a home series versus the Suns, which seem like the least likely to bounce them out early. A second round series against the Blazers, Clippers, or Spurs wouldn't be easy, but certainly wouldn't be insurmountable. With a win, Houston would almost certainly meet the Thunder, which would be an exciting series to watch, but the Rockets would be serious underdogs. Maybe another fringe contender could knock OKC out in the second round, but I doubt it. Could the Spurs outmatch the Thunder for one final glorious series for Duncan, then lose to Houston in the Conference Finals? It may be too rosy of an outlook, but I think it's fair to say that there is a path to the Finals for the Rockets, even if it would take a lot of breaks for it to happen.

#58 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPip
                      • 1,636 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:53 PM

Clippers still have home court advantage due to division leader rules. We can only get home court if we beat out the blazers or spurs.

#59 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                        • PipPipPipPipPip
                        • 1,865 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:28 PM

Clippers still have home court advantage due to division leader rules. We can only get home court if we beat out the blazers or spurs.

Sorry, not true.

Clippers would still be #4 seed but today the Rockets (#5) seed would have home court advantage because of a better winning percentage.

#60 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
                          • PipPipPipPipPip
                          • 1,636 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:07 PM

Wrong, unless we win our division, all 3 division leaders get homecourt and the next best winning % which is the blazers. Thus it would be thunder spurs blazers clippers.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Playoffs

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users