Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.
@  Mario Peña : (13 September 2015 - 05:24 PM) Sad to see Moses pass. I don't remember watching him as a Rocket but I do remember his Philly and Hawks teams. He was the perfect man to mentor Dream. It's a very sad day for his family and friends and there are many.
@  majik19 : (12 September 2015 - 09:01 PM) i just saw a post wishing Yao Ming a happy 35th birthday... am I the only one whose mind is blown that he's only 35?
@  cointurtlemoose : (08 September 2015 - 01:17 AM) aaaah, thanks jorge
@  jorgeaam : (08 September 2015 - 12:21 AM) Love it how Hinkie and Morey always target the same players, but hoping he isn't another Covington
@  thejohnnygold : (08 September 2015 - 12:03 AM) Christian Wood has signed with Philly
@  jorgeaam : (07 September 2015 - 10:32 PM) If I'm not wrong, he hasn't been waived yet, they have until october 4th to do that
@  cointurtlemoose : (07 September 2015 - 05:39 PM) Anyone else surprised that Kostas hasn't gotten picked up by anyone yet? I wanna see that guy play somewhere
@  redfaithful : (05 September 2015 - 10:48 PM) Llull line from today loss to Serbia: 30MIN 1-10PG, 0-5 3PG, 4-4FT 6AST, 1TO, 4REB, +/- -11
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 01:42 AM) one bullet left in the chamber is diff than fully loaded and ready to go. Still stupid...but not like he was prepared for a shooting spree.
@  jorgeaam : (02 September 2015 - 09:33 PM) http://www.tmz.com/2...t-get-arrested/

Photo

The Samuel Dalembert situation

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:39 AM

Conflicting reports regarding the Rockets' interest. I really hope they pass. It's not to say he can't help the team. He can and would. But what's the point? As I wrote in my season preview, I'd much rather see those minutes given to younger players to see what we have. Between Thabeet, Patterson, Hill, and Scola, that's more than enough guys.

I wonder how much the Dalembert talks are a smokescreen. The casual fan just wants any type of player movement, regardless of long-term strategy. I wonder if management just wants to give off the appearance that its not being idle. If that's not the case, then I don't understand. Signing Samuel Dalembert seems more like a Carrol Dawson move to me.

#2 Favian Pua

Favian Pua

• Members
    • Pip
    • 27 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:22 PM

The Dalembert acquisition is a knee-jerk reaction to both missing out on Pau Gasol and giving Chuck Hayes the cold shoulder. On both the short and long-term, there isn't much to be excited about.

Short-term: $13M over the next two years is too much for someone who isn't a game-changer, even if there is a buyout option for the second season. The Rockets will have less room to maneuver fiscally next summer.

Long-term: Because he is an upgrade at center, Dalembert will hinder Jordan Hill and Hasheem Thabeet's growth. This issue has been discussed in detail in prior posts and it doesn't make sense to sign a run-of-the-mill big man as a consolation prize for the Spaniard.

The better option was to stand pat. Management didn't have to jump the gun on this one.

#3 Blake Couey

Blake Couey

• Members
      • Pip
      • 15 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:37 PM

The only reason I see for this is if Mchale/Morey don't believe in our young guys being able to hold up or that they have potential any time soon. We had Hill/Thabeet/Smith already, I suspect Smith wont make the cut(especially now), and now I'm unsure if Hasheem will start the season with us either. I guess we will see the roster adjustments and go from there.

#4 majik19

majik19

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 267 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:25 PM

There is upside to this move: what if Hill and/or Thabeet learn how to be Dalembert from Dalembert? i.e. rebound, block shots, score the occasional put back. This team desperately needs that for the long haul.
          I agree that the best way for the kids to learn is to go out and do, and I hope that Dalembert doesn't play more than 25 minutes on a night. But if Thabeet/Hill can learn, that would be great.

#5 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
          • 1,547 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:31 PM

There is upside to this move: what if Hill and/or Thabeet learn how to be Dalembert from Dalembert? i.e. rebound, block shots, score the occasional put back. This team desperately needs that for the long haul.
            I agree that the best way for the kids to learn is to go out and do, and I hope that Dalembert doesn't play more than 25 minutes on a night. But if Thabeet/Hill can learn, that would be great.

If it's about learning, wouldn't Kevin McHale in practice suffice?

#6 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 338 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:21 AM

A couple of thoughts.

Morey said Thabeet was having trouble getting his second wind and was only capable of giving 5-10 minutes.
              That forced their hand.

My personal belief Dalembert is fools gold. But for a 1 yr rental,I can live w/him.

Favian Pua,Dalembert's buyout is just $1.5mil. And as a new signing he's eligible for a stretch buyout. A team can stretch out a buyout over twice as many yrs left plus 1 yr. In other words if the team decides to buy-out Dalembert,they can stretch the $1.5mil over 3 yrs at just $500,000 a yr,barely more than a min contract.

#7 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
              • 1,547 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:28 AM

The part about Thabeet being able to give so little is pretty interesting.

#8 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPip
                • 1,865 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:00 AM

Looks like with the Dalembert signing, the Rockets will certainly have a chance to make the playoffs this year. I am looking forward to enjoying my season tickets and watching all the young talent our team has! Dalembert adds much needed veteran leadership plus runs the floor well for a 5. Let's go Rockets!

#9 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                  • 1,547 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:21 PM

Looks like with the Dalembert signing, the Rockets will certainly have a chance to make the playoffs this year. I am looking forward to enjoying my season tickets and watching all the young talent our team has! Dalembert adds much needed veteran leadership plus runs the floor well for a 5. Let's go Rockets!

I think they definitely make the playoffs now.

#10 Dan G

Dan G

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 246 posts
                    • LocationEast Texas

Posted 25 December 2011 - 02:08 AM

Bottom line is short term it is beneficial because it makes our team better and we'll make the playoffs which is always fun to see even if we lose in the first or second round. Long-term and probably more importantly, it is detrimental to the future because it hurts the growth of our youth and keeps us from getting our draft pick in next year's very deep draft, so the only draft pick we will be getting is New York's first rounder which quite possibly could be in the mid 20s if Chandler can turnaround the Knicks' defense like he did the Mavs. To choose a side, I am in favor of just not signing him and rolling the dice on our youth, but hey, I have always been a bad dice roller. Just ask my DnD group.

:lol: All in the game, yo, :D all in the game :lol:!

#11 majik19

majik19

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 267 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:02 AM

On NBA TV, they just said "The Dwight Howard and the Magic host Samuel Dalembert and the Rockets." Apparently Dalembert is our biggest star.

#12 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                      • 1,547 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:08 AM

On NBA TV, they just said "The Dwight Howard and the Magic host Samuel Dalembert and the Rockets." Apparently Dalembert is our biggest star.

That's what it's come to, I guess.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users