Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (25 April 2016 - 02:40 AM) I can't stand the Warriors but I hate to see great players fall prey to injuries. Seems like Steph could be done till next season which is unfortunate since he does play on one team I root for, Team USA.
@  majik19 : (24 April 2016 - 10:02 PM) down by 23 points and we have McDaniels AND Brewer in. WTF?
@  majik19 : (24 April 2016 - 09:48 PM) the difference in this gme has been Brewer is in and Beverley is out
@  majik19 : (24 April 2016 - 09:46 PM) Team gave up. I know it's hard when the Warriors won't miss and we can't hit anything, but man.
@  majik19 : (24 April 2016 - 09:34 PM) can't believe they called a T on Howard there. Rockets need to hit some 3s. Why aren't they fouling Ezeli? They're clearly on a run.
@  majik19 : (24 April 2016 - 09:30 PM) Rockets just not playing smart right now. Livingston has to get at least a T for that. Should be nothing on Howard.
@  majik19 : (24 April 2016 - 08:27 PM) spoke too soon about Brewer - misses a wide open reverse layup (and why was it a reverse?)
@  majik19 : (24 April 2016 - 08:22 PM) i am loving this Beasley-Harden offense. Simple but effective. Brewer actually being effective right now too!
@  majik19 : (24 April 2016 - 08:14 PM) Warriors just got "Curry'd" by Harden
@  majik19 : (24 April 2016 - 08:03 PM) Bogut is pretty thoroughly outplaying Howard early.
@  ale11 : (22 April 2016 - 08:36 PM) I know everyone is already asking for KJ....but I have to say: I wish JBB tried putting KJ on Livingston, I'm sure he wouldn't get bullied in the post like Pat is. Depending on matchups, I'd like Harden to guard him as well. There would be no risks of gifting any 3's
@  txtdo1411 : (22 April 2016 - 07:09 PM) Finally JB sat Brewer. I wish we would stop playing Terry as well. Missed multiple wide open 3s, and was getting abused defensively. I'd much rather see KJ come in as a back up guard than Terry.
@  DenverRocket : (22 April 2016 - 04:35 AM) Ariza is having a tough time, but I reckon he will come back big in the next game - he just can't keep missing open threes.
@  Mario Peña : (22 April 2016 - 04:31 AM) Yes...
@  majik19 : (22 April 2016 - 04:28 AM) but pretty amazing we did pull that off. As Rahat said, without Curry we are at best as good as GS.
@  majik19 : (22 April 2016 - 04:27 AM) did anyone else notice that MICHAEL BEASLEY was defending green on that last play? lucky... also that inbound at the end Ariza almost gave it to them! at least throw it at our basket, not theirs!
@  majik19 : (22 April 2016 - 04:15 AM) everything on the line and ariza blows a layup. surprise surprise. Ariza should never, ever dribble.
@  slick shoes : (21 April 2016 - 10:46 PM) It's rumored that JVG has had his eye on our coaching role for a bit. I just hope that if he IS our guy, then he ends up being the guy we've all wanted. I would be curious as to how Harden responds to JVG.
@  DenverRocket : (21 April 2016 - 10:36 PM) Being reported that he's agreed to 5yrs for $35m with the Wizards. Looks like JVG could be our man.
@  slick shoes : (21 April 2016 - 12:12 PM) Let everyone chase Scott Brooks. I don't want him and thinking he'll lure in KD does not make sense to me.

Photo

What Do the Rockets Need from the Power Forward Position?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,212 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:03 AM

The Rockets need little from their PF. Below average defense. Below average rebounding. Hitting the three at a 32% clip. Defending the likes of West and Zach who would make road kill out of Casspi or Parsons. But what is much more interesting is what the Rockets do not need from their PF. Shots. There are not enough of those to go around. The Rockets offense is dominated by players who can score. Every shot taken by the PF is one less shot for Harden, Howard, Parsons ... Only one ball and one basket.

The other thing the Rockets need from the PF position is cheap.

I mostly agree with this......especially the cheap part :lol:

My new years resolution.....drink that special bottle of wine, take your son on that fishing trip, live each day as if it were my last because everyday of LIFE is special B)

#22 rocket2789

rocket2789

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:21 AM

trade thought - assuming asik is traded come trade deadline why not package asik, tjones, and smith to the kings for landry, hayes, and salmons. salaries match.. Landry should recover from his injury and would be a huge spark off the bench. hayes can play spot-up minutes at center and play the 4 next to D12 and provide the rockets with shut down defense. Salmons can play the 2/3 but would be insurance. overall the rockets get a true pf in landry who can start or come off the bench and the chuckwagon will shut down elite 4's. line-up

lin/bev/ab

harden/brewer/salmons

parsons/Garcia/casspi/Covington

dmo/landry/hayes

D12/camby/hayes

#23 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,433 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:49 PM

I'd rather trade Asik for Courtney Lee and Kelly Olynick and a draft pick.  Nothing spectacular.  It gives us a solid back-up SG (who Dwight likes) and a high-upside big on a good contract.  I fully expect you guys to poo-poo this idea. :P

#24 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,212 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:55 PM

I'd rather trade Asik for Courtney Lee and Kelly Olynick and a draft pick.  Nothing spectacular.  It gives us a solid back-up SG (who Dwight likes) and a high-upside big on a good contract.  I fully expect you guys to poo-poo this idea. :P

:lol:  :lol: poo-poo.......not quite. actually I kind of like it. I have been watching this kid Olynick and the kid has game. C-Lee is a useful player within our rotation and the draft pick allows us to keep building from within. however if that draft pick isn't in the 2014 loaded draft class then I would have to reconsider.

My new years resolution.....drink that special bottle of wine, take your son on that fishing trip, live each day as if it were my last because everyday of LIFE is special B)

#25 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,598 posts
    • LocationAlabama

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:56 PM

What about Asik/Lin for Wallace/Olynyk/Lee? I don't see the Celtics getting rid of Olynyk unless they can shed Crash's contract. This would also give them a PG so they can trade Rondo.

Why so Serious? :D

#26 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,212 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:04 PM

What about Asik/Lin for Wallace/Olynyk/Lee? I don't see the Celtics getting rid of Olynyk unless they can shed Crash's contract. This would also give them a PG so they can trade Rondo.

I wouldn't touch Wallace............that's like flushing money down the toilet. any deal including him is a non-starter for me. Boston doesn't have anything good enough to make me OK with accepting his contract. besides he has 3 more years on that anvil of a contract :lol:

#27 bearkat414

bearkat414

• Members
    • Pip
    • 27 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:44 PM

Farried is rumored available....what do you think about him as an option?  Rebounds well and shoots under the basket.

#28 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 378 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:44 PM

Why would the Rockets even entertain the notion of trading Asik? He provides two incredibly important things for the team: if Howard goes down for any length of time the Rockets will still handily make the playoffs and Asik provides 48 minutes of paint protection. There is no PF short of someone like Bosh who could have anywhere near that impact.

#29 bearkat414

bearkat414

• Members
        • Pip
        • 27 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:50 PM

I would necessarily be down for Asik for him straight up either, but Asik isnt the only talented player on the roster.

#30 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,308 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:34 PM

Why would the Rockets even entertain the notion of trading Asik? He provides two incredibly important things for the team: if Howard goes down for any length of time the Rockets will still handily make the playoffs and Asik provides 48 minutes of paint protection. There is no PF short of someone like Bosh who could have anywhere near that impact.

It isn't impossible to pickup a backup center that can play solid defense.

#31 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,308 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:35 PM

Farried is rumored available....what do you think about him as an option? Rebounds well and shoots under the basket.

the nuggies would have to find someone to take McGee which is unlikely

#32 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 2,598 posts
              • LocationAlabama

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:36 PM

I would want Hamilton thrown in. He's being underutilized in Denver.

Why so Serious? :D

#33 bearkat414

bearkat414

• Members
              • Pip
              • 27 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:51 PM

Anyway we could get lawson in the deal? :)

#34 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 3,216 posts
                • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:39 PM

Anyway we could get lawson in the deal? :)

We already have Brooks though  :ph34r:

#35 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 4,212 posts
                • Locationhouston

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:35 AM

personally I don't want Farried. I like him as a player, but the last thing we need is another undersized PF who can't also absorb some minutes at backup center.............besides he doesn't have a jumper. we would have the same problem we have now with Asik....floor spacing. Farried is a nice open court player, but in the half court he is useless offensively. I like the rebounding, but his defense is also suspect.........why do you think Denver is willing to move him

#36 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                • 4,433 posts
                • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:18 PM

personally I don't want Farried. I like him as a player, but the last thing we need is another undersized PF who can't also absorb some minutes at backup center.............besides he doesn't have a jumper. we would have the same problem we have now with Asik....floor spacing. Farried is a nice open court player, but in the half court he is useless offensively. I like the rebounding, but his defense is also suspect.........why do you think Denver is willing to move him

Yup--totally agree.  He makes great, Sportscenter-worthy plays, but he is not going to take your team to the top of the mountain.  He gets the crowd excited, but not the coach.  If we were in a different stage of development I'd be all for it, but we are primed to take the throne.  No thanks.

#37 Drew in Abilene

Drew in Abilene

• Moderators
                • 301 posts
                • LocationAbilene

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:34 PM

Going back to the original question, my best answer would be "versatility." Are there times when we need the 4 to be a strong defender who can handle the likes of a David West? Yes. Will there be times when what the Rockets need is someone who can hit open threes to stretch the defense out, thus giving the rest of the stars more room to work? Yes. Do they need a guy who isn't paid a whole heckuva lot of money and doesn't mind a dip in usage rate because of Howard, Harden, Parsons, and so on? Of course. All these things factor in as needs for the power forward slot. This need for versatility is why I'm an advocate of standing pat and not trading Asik for a more standard power forward.

Jones and Motiejunas are young, energetic players who'll play hard, eat minutes, and stay out of the way of the stars. Neither are great, but neither take much off the table. They are still improving, and give the Rockets assets that continue to grow in value, whether they end up here or traded. 

Asik may not work well in ten minutes playing with Howard against many teams, but he will be invaluable during the playoffs if/when we run into the Grizzlies, Spurs, or Pacers. The Heat showed us how teams with strong interiors have the ability to punish teams that like to go small by being pushed to the brink in two straight series. I'd much rather be in the position to unleash that kind of game, as opposed to worrying about dealing with the fallout if we're forced to counter bigs with smallball. Not that we can't utilize smallball, but I'd love to have an alternative so our shooters don't get gassed like Battier did after guarding West.

Casspi looks like a revelation so far in the preseason. Even if/when his production dips, he and Parsons can aptly man the power forward spot in our smallball lineups, and both can be deadly from long range, giving us the spacing, 3-point threat, and passable defense needed for those minutes.

I realize that this isn't as sexy of an idea as trading for a Kevin Love, and LMA, or even someone like Ryan Anderson. But none of those guys check all the boxes of what the Rockets need. My belief is that no one player fits everything we need, but that we have a mix of players who can each step in and check the needed box on a given night. Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but I think power forward by committee will give the Rockets the versatility to match up with anyone in the playoffs. 

#38 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                • 4,433 posts
                • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:13 PM

I very much agree with the above--well said Drew.  As I've said before--I think the Pacers are going to the finals this year.  Having Asik on board (despite our pre-season dominance over them) will be very valuable should we get there.

#39 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 3,216 posts
                • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:31 PM

I very much agree with the above--well said Drew.  As I've said before--I think the Pacers are going to the finals this year.  Having Asik on board (despite our pre-season dominance over them) will be very valuable should we get there.

So if the Pacers are going to the finals past the defending champs where does that put us? 

#40 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                • 4,433 posts
                • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:25 PM

So if the Pacers are going to the finals past the defending champs where does that put us? 

I'm not quite sure what you're asking....I think we have a great shot at making the finals ourselves.  The playoffs are a long ways off--injuries, trades, and team chemistry have to play out before we have a realistic idea of the challenge before us.  Even then, playoff seeding will be a factor.  I've got high hopes and think we can get into the finals with a little luck.  Once there, having the extra big body of Asik will be a difference maker in my opinion.  I think he can guard either of Hibbert or West effectively.  This could leave Dwight free to play help defense and alter/block lots of shots.  Even if he is only used as "an extra 6 fouls" that will be huge.  With no Asik, after Dwight there is not much to put up against their huge front line.  Of course, that presumes one of our PF's doesn't figure out NBA defense by then....so many questions!!! :blink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users