Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Houston Rockets vs. Indiana Pacers on 10/13/2013 in Taipei, Taiwan.

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 vonsteve

vonsteve

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:24 AM

No matter how not-flukey, this team is anchored with Howard and Harden. By no means that I think Lin is flukey anyway.

I'm not arguing that at all. Of course, it's Harden and Howard 1 and 1A. But I do people will think PG is a strength of this team and not a weakness this year with both Lin and Beverly.

#42 vonsteve

vonsteve

Rookie

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 57 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:40 AM

HI vonsteve.............Welcome to the forum :) now your response is what I expect from Lin fans :lol:

Oh, wait. This isn't that LOF vs. LH thing is it? I didn't know that was still going on. For God's sake aren't we over that by now? I am most definitely not a LOF and I kind of resent being thought of as one. 

#43 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,865 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:09 AM

I think it's finally time to get past all of this Lin "love" and "hate" and just accept Lin for who he is and enjoy watching him and the Rockets continue to improve as the season continues on. There will certainly be ups and downs, that is to be expected. It's how players respond to turbulence that makes them the best in their craft. Lastly, don't forget, NBA basketball is meant to be a team sport, not individual triumph.

#44 Richards

Richards

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 393 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:06 PM

Not like most other athletes, Lin can earn good fortune with his Harvard education. Instead, he took a challenge in basketball and rose to the occasions a few times already. Very smart and pretty much motivated guy, I won't count him out. I am a Lin fan and fan of many other players including Kobe (oops, I shouldn't have said that!). 

#45 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 4,125 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:50 PM

Oh, wait. This isn't that LOF vs. LH thing is it? I didn't know that was still going on. For God's sake aren't we over that by now? I am most definitely not a LOF and I kind of resent being thought of as one. 

wasn't implying that you are Lin fan....just that your response is one I would expect from a Lin fan. I have been one of Lin's biggest critics and I'm not ashamed. his play was not worthy of praise. while his performance has looked really good thus far, this isn't the first time he has had a nice string of games only to fall back into old habits. so you must pardon me if I won't yet be putting my all-star vote in his bucket. I like some of the improvements I have seen, but it takes more than a preseason to influence me. the only thing he has done thus far is got off to a nice start.......the jury is still out IMO :lol:

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#46 BrentYen

BrentYen

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 339 posts
          • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:51 PM

I'm not arguing that at all. Of course, it's Harden and Howard 1 and 1A. But I do people will think PG is a strength of this team and not a weakness this year with both Lin and Beverly.

I agree, and that's why having PB is already enough. lol

Is a big Jeremy Lin fan and was a big ROX fan. More importantly, a huge bball fan in general.

#47 Journeymany

Journeymany

Rookie

• Members
          • PipPip
          • 54 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:51 PM

WOW..............you kidding me........that novel idea coming from a LOF. I'm floored :huh: I admit that you put forth sound reasoning to explain your point.........I'm just floored to hear you say it. TRADE LIN is  an off the table issue for most Lin fans. however back to the subject.........I do believe it is still in the Rockets best interest to trade Lin, but my reasons are more in line with how it would affect the salary cap.......hence limit our ability to reel in more talent. his recent play shows he has been hard at work during the summer. I know it's just a couple of preseason games, but I like what I've seen. even if he plays well I agree it is still in the Rockets best interest to move him. his combined salary with Asik is the perfect range to bring in a star player. if that opportunity arises the Rockets must grab it. I am confident the remaining guards available can handle the job especially with another star on board

Taking all that LOF/LOH stuff out of the equation, I am pretty sure that trading Lin & Asik for a star would be more or less fine or great for them, and pretty bad or disastrous for the Rockets. You'd basically destroy the team's depth at guard and centre for presumably an upgrade at PF, which as discussed before, would be nice - but there simply aren't enough possessions to go around with 3 'star' players on the court at the same time. I don't think Brooks or Canaan can be relied on to run the 2nd unit, and if Bev got injured, you'd be completely screwed. I think we've already seen the issues with having Dwight as the only centre as well....

#48 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 4,125 posts
            • Locationhouston

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:57 PM

Taking all that LOF/LOH stuff out of the equation, I am pretty sure that trading Lin & Asik for a star would be more or less fine or great for them, and pretty bad or disastrous for the Rockets. You'd basically destroy the team's depth at guard and centre for presumably an upgrade at PF, which as discussed before, would be nice - but there simply aren't enough possessions to go around with 3 'star' players on the court at the same time. I don't think Brooks or Canaan can be relied on to run the 2nd unit, and if Bev got injured, you'd be completely screwed. I think we've already seen the issues with having Dwight as the only centre as well....

I disagree.......right now we have 4 PGs on the roster and 5 players who can play center.....how will trading 1 center and 1 PG destroy team depth?

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#49 BrentYen

BrentYen

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 339 posts
            • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:28 PM

I disagree.......right now we have 4 PGs on the roster and 5 players who can play center.....how will trading 1 center and 1 PG destroy team depth?

I think he meant, although you have 4 PGs, taking away the BEST PG does not mean you lose only 1/4 of your depth, obviously will be more than that. But like I said, I wonder if Rox need that much anyway.

Edited by BrentYen, 14 October 2013 - 05:28 PM.

Is a big Jeremy Lin fan and was a big ROX fan. More importantly, a huge bball fan in general.

#50 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 4,125 posts
            • Locationhouston

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:52 PM

I think he meant, although you have 4 PGs, taking away the BEST PG does not mean you lose only 1/4 of your depth, obviously will be more than that. But like I said, I wonder if Rox need that much anyway.

whether he is the best PG is debatable, but he's only looking at the subtraction part of the equation. we will be adding a star level player to our current mix. the potential of that possibility should not be discounted. I agree with you the Rockets don't need a star at point guard to be elite. however if they acquire another star who fits the current core what we have at PG will be enough to man the position and the possible benefit of the 3rd star could propel us into a dynasty.

#51 BrentYen

BrentYen

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 339 posts
            • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:34 PM

whether he is the best PG is debatable, but he's only looking at the subtraction part of the equation. we will be adding a star level player to our current mix. the potential of that possibility should not be discounted. I agree with you the Rockets don't need a star at point guard to be elite. however if they acquire another star who fits the current core what we have at PG will be enough to man the position and the possible benefit of the 3rd star could propel us into a dynasty.

I kind of disagree with that. Every one kept talking about the 3rd star, I think what ROX really need for their possible rings is the better Bench. Unless If you are going to play your starters for 40+ MPG per position, that will be a recipe for disaster IMO.

Edited by BrentYen, 14 October 2013 - 06:34 PM.

#52 vonsteve

vonsteve

Rookie

• Members
            • PipPip
            • 57 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:35 PM

wasn't implying that you are Lin fan....just that your response is one I would expect from a Lin fan. I have been one of Lin's biggest critics and I'm not ashamed. his play was not worthy of praise. while his performance has looked really good thus far, this isn't the first time he has had a nice string of games only to fall back into old habits. so you must pardon me if I won't yet be putting my all-star vote in his bucket. I like some of the improvements I have seen, but it takes more than a preseason to influence me. the only thing he has done thus far is got off to a nice start.......the jury is still out IMO :lol:

You're not implying I'm a Lin fan and then you follow that by implying I'm a Lin fan. There's a difference between a Lin fanatic who can't see straight and an objective observer who is willing to believe he improved over the offseason. I'm the former. And, yes, I totally agree that the jury's still out. I just think he's given some good evidence in the early moments of the trial.

#53 vonsteve

vonsteve

Rookie

• Members
              • PipPip
              • 57 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:38 PM

You're not implying I'm a Lin fan and then you follow that by implying I'm a Lin fan. There's a difference between a Lin fanatic who can't see straight and an objective observer who is willing to believe he improved over the offseason. I'm the former. And, yes, I totally agree that the jury's still out. I just think he's given some good evidence in the early moments of the trial.

Ha. Misuse of "former." Meant to write, "I'm the later."

#54 vonsteve

vonsteve

Rookie

• Members
                • PipPip
                • 57 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:41 PM

I agree, and that's why having PB is already enough. lol

I think you need two good PG's these days. Brooks isn't there anymore and Canaan's not ready. I'm open to the possibility that Lin has improved.

#55 BrentYen

BrentYen

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 339 posts
                  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:52 PM

I think you need two good PG's these days. Brooks isn't there anymore and Canaan's not ready. I'm open to the possibility that Lin has improved.

True, but I guess they just need a guy cost around 4Mil...shoots 3s, low TOs, etc

#56 Journeymany

Journeymany

Rookie

• Members
                  • PipPip
                  • 54 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:10 PM

I am looking at the potential addition as well - but my point is that the addition of the 3rd star adds a great deal less than the first 2 - and also ruins your depth. Everyone's looking at the Heat as the prime example, but Bosh's numbers are way down on his time in Toronto, and I don't think you can ignore the 'Lebron factor'.

I think a better example is the 3 star Celtics - Pierce, Garnett and Allen were their 'Big 3' and that Dynasty accumulated a mighty 1 championship... 

#57 PKM

PKM

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 124 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:37 PM

I am looking at the potential addition as well - but my point is that the addition of the 3rd star adds a great deal less than the first 2 - and also ruins your depth. Everyone's looking at the Heat as the prime example, but Bosh's numbers are way down on his time in Toronto, and I don't think you can ignore the 'Lebron factor'.

I think a better example is the 3 star Celtics - Pierce, Garnett and Allen were their 'Big 3' and that Dynasty accumulated a mighty 1 championship... 

Well, I think this is the first time I've ever seen someone view those Celtic teams as a failure.  Because they clearly were not.  The best you can do is assemble the best team and hope things sweep your way, and the Celtics came close over and over again.  And that's really the best you can do at times.

Heck, using your argument, the ultimate "team" contender, the mid-decade Pistons, only won 1 ring as well.

Edited by PKM, 14 October 2013 - 07:38 PM.

#58 BrentYen

BrentYen

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 339 posts
                      • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:01 PM

Heck, using your argument, the ultimate "team" contender, the mid-decade Pistons, only won 1 ring as well.

LOL, very good point here.

#59 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                      • 2,308 posts
                      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:50 PM

I agree, good points being made for different arguments. It is really going to be great to see it all play out with all the ups and downs teams face during a season. I am really really pumped for this season to get rolling.

How sweet it is!

#60 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPip
                      • 1,865 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:05 PM

True, but I guess they just need a guy cost around 4Mil...shoots 3s, low TOs, etc

Perhaps that's your opinion, not the Rockets, in regards to the appropriate price to pay for their point guards. Just look around the league, exactly who is out there (other than players on rookie contracts) that fit your cost structure as well as can effectively shoot 3's and not turn the ball over.

Good luck with that!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users