Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.
@  Mario Peña : (13 September 2015 - 05:24 PM) Sad to see Moses pass. I don't remember watching him as a Rocket but I do remember his Philly and Hawks teams. He was the perfect man to mentor Dream. It's a very sad day for his family and friends and there are many.
@  majik19 : (12 September 2015 - 09:01 PM) i just saw a post wishing Yao Ming a happy 35th birthday... am I the only one whose mind is blown that he's only 35?
@  cointurtlemoose : (08 September 2015 - 01:17 AM) aaaah, thanks jorge
@  jorgeaam : (08 September 2015 - 12:21 AM) Love it how Hinkie and Morey always target the same players, but hoping he isn't another Covington
@  thejohnnygold : (08 September 2015 - 12:03 AM) Christian Wood has signed with Philly
@  jorgeaam : (07 September 2015 - 10:32 PM) If I'm not wrong, he hasn't been waived yet, they have until october 4th to do that
@  cointurtlemoose : (07 September 2015 - 05:39 PM) Anyone else surprised that Kostas hasn't gotten picked up by anyone yet? I wanna see that guy play somewhere
@  redfaithful : (05 September 2015 - 10:48 PM) Llull line from today loss to Serbia: 30MIN 1-10PG, 0-5 3PG, 4-4FT 6AST, 1TO, 4REB, +/- -11
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html

Photo

Downsizing to 15

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#41 vonsteve

vonsteve

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:36 AM

You guys make good points re: Campy. I'm thinking more in terms of potential injury than about leadership.

#42 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,122 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:59 AM

the Rockets gave first year guarantees to both Canaan and Covington when neither was required to have one in order to sign. that says something about level of commitment. Canaan was a 2nd round pick and Covington didn't get picked at all. the Rockets could have given both non-guaranteed deals. while it wouldn't be breaking the bank to cut them....they will be given time. the Rockets believe they are worth developing. also while it's true the Rockets are in win now mode. the new CBA dictates all teams need to be on the look out for good cheap talent. both have a chance to become that. face it......... if it ever comes down to needing the14th and 15th man on the roster your probably already up sh*t creek without a paddle anyway.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#43 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,865 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:33 AM

Which is why the Rockets can't really afford both Canaan and Covington on this particular roster. It's OK to bring along one youngster but the Rockets have much higher goals these days than just turning over players for different players. This wouldn't be the first time the Rockets have waived a player with a guaranteed contract, and I seriously doubt it will be the last time, either. Experience on the end of the bench is important in the overall scheme of things. It's a bit more than 6 months from now before the playoffs even begin, and when they do begin, 2 teams end up playing 2 additional full months past the regular season. In other words, lots of opportunity for injuries.

#44 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,122 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:52 PM

Which is why the Rockets can't really afford both Canaan and Covington on this particular roster. It's OK to bring along one youngster but the Rockets have much higher goals these days than just turning over players for different players. This wouldn't be the first time the Rockets have waived a player with a guaranteed contract, and I seriously doubt it will be the last time, either. Experience on the end of the bench is important in the overall scheme of things. It's a bit more than 6 months from now before the playoffs even begin, and when they do begin, 2 teams end up playing 2 additional full months past the regular season. In other words, lots of opportunity for injuries.

I disagree. the Rockets are not going to groom Covington and Canaan to be trade chips.....they are grooming them to hopefully assume roles within this team down the line. with us already being over the salary cap it will limit some of our options when it comes to reeling in veterans to play key roles. by grooming these 2 the Rockets can expect to keep getting better from within thereby relieving some of the pressure to fill all holes with FA veterans. now does this mean they won't be traded.......of course not, but it never hurts to have cheap good talent. I bet if we release both right now they would be on the FA market less than 48 hours. the Rockets scouting department has become well respected throughout the league. other teams are aware of how much young promising talent we have on cheap contracts and those teams in rebuild mode would like nothing better than to get their hands on some of it. why do you think so many front office people were hired away from us this year?........team are trying to duplicate what they see happening in Houston that's why

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#45 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,865 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:21 PM

I disagree. the Rockets are not going to groom Covington and Canaan to be trade chips.....they are grooming them to hopefully assume roles within this team down the line. with us already being over the salary cap it will limit some of our options when it comes to reeling in veterans to play key roles. by grooming these 2 the Rockets can expect to keep getting better from within thereby relieving some of the pressure to fill all holes with FA veterans. now does this mean they won't be traded.......of course not, but it never hurts to have cheap good talent. I bet if we release both right now they would be on the FA market less than 48 hours. the Rockets scouting department has become well respected throughout the league. other teams are aware of how much young promising talent we have on cheap contracts and those teams in rebuild mode would like nothing better than to get their hands on some of it. why do you think so many front office people were hired away from us this year?........team are trying to duplicate what they see happening in Houston that's why

RBF, I think we agree more than disagree on this topic. I am convince that Canaan is definitely on the Rockets final roster this season and will likely receive most of his playing time this season playing for the Rockets D-League team, RGV.

I believe the point we don't see eye to eye on is the Covington situation. I would rather see the Rockets keep a veteran like a Brewer who can play spot minutes and, more importantly, final end of quarter, half, game possessions by guarding the opposing teams offensive threat. Brewer has a horrendous shooting touch and if the Rockets become devastated with injuries this season and have to play Brewer for significant minutes, well, it's gonna be ugly! However, in this case, the Rockets probably wouldn't be going anywhere anyway and the probablility of the Rockets completely being injury ridden is quite low.

Long story short, I just see the value of a Brewer on this roster over Covington. It won't be much longer, we'll probably know before having to debate this much longer.

#46 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 4,122 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:02 AM

true I think we agree on Canaan, but Covington against Brewer...............while I do see Brewer's value, with the play we can get from others I don't believe his skill will be missed. he would be a nice luxury, but one we simply can't afford to hang on to over and above talent who may help fill future roles at bargain basement prices. that's the difference between the 2 IMO

#47 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,290 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:03 AM

What might hurt covingtons chances is realistically he won't be an asset to help you win playoff games and Brewer can be. The rockets should be more about winning in the playoffs now than gambling on a guy that was not even drafted.

#48 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 4,122 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:56 AM

What might hurt covingtons chances is realistically he won't be an asset to help you win playoff games and Brewer can be. The rockets should be more about winning in the playoffs now than gambling on a guy that was not even drafted.

I don't know about that........depends on how his development goes. the only reason Covington was available to the Rockets is he was hurt last year...he was projected prior to that to be a late first round pick. the Rockets see something in him because of their commitment to him. there is 650 thousand in guaranteed money promise to this kid. Morey doesn't seem like the type of GM who throws unnecessary money at rookies. one of Morey's talents as a GM is the ability to spot talent in places when others aren't looking or have overlooked. Both Canaan and Covington played for small schools kind of out of the limelight. I think Morey is playing a hunch that one of the 2 of these guys will be a diamond in the ruff

#49 Easy Runner

Easy Runner

• Members
          • Pip
          • 11 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:45 AM

I agreed w rocket best fan, Covington got potential, solid size, decent outside shooting, solid defensive wingspan 7'2" (Rodman size) and very solid athletic ability, see attached  report, comparing Covington to Danny Granger.

http://nbaprospects....n-to-danny.html

#50 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,865 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:47 AM

true I think we agree on Canaan, but Covington against Brewer...............while I do see Brewer's value, with the play we can get from others I don't believe his skill will be missed. he would be a nice luxury, but one we simply can't afford to hang on to over and above talent who may help fill future roles at bargain basement prices. that's the difference between the 2 IMO

There is a solution that would make both of us happy in terms of the Rockets roster starting this season -- including having both Covington and Brewer to start the season on the Rockets final roster of 15. However, that would require Morey making the most difficult decision on letting Greg Smith go and in doing so Morey is likely counting on Camby coming back from his injury and/or a blockbuster trade by February for Asik and in return receiving another dependable PF/C for necessary depth along with I assume the Stretch PF (or even more ideally, a dependable Stretch PF that can cover both PF and C positions for the necessary roster depth).

Otherwise, I think the Rockets don't have any other choice but to let Covington go and in doing so, keep Brewer on along with Greg Smith.

Just my 2 cents worth.

#51 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPip
              • 1,865 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:50 AM

These are all quality guys and it pains me to even have to discuss letting any of these players go. It's just simply a numbers game.

#52 Easy Runner

Easy Runner

• Members
                • Pip
                • 11 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:50 PM

The ROX should cut Brewer(washed out), Camby(too injury-prone), Brooks(falling off a cliff) and/or Williams (unknown) before Smith and Covington, IMHO.

#53 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 4,122 posts
                  • Locationhouston

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:14 PM

There is a solution that would make both of us happy in terms of the Rockets roster starting this season -- including having both Covington and Brewer to start the season on the Rockets final roster of 15. However, that would require Morey making the most difficult decision on letting Greg Smith go and in doing so Morey is likely counting on Camby coming back from his injury and/or a blockbuster trade by February for Asik and in return receiving another dependable PF/C for necessary depth along with I assume the Stretch PF (or even more ideally, a dependable Stretch PF that can cover both PF and C positions for the necessary roster depth).

Otherwise, I think the Rockets don't have any other choice but to let Covington go and in doing so, keep Brewer on along with Greg Smith.

Just my 2 cents worth.

cutting G-Smith doesn't make me happy :( .........I believe he should make the team. I keep seeing the reference to stretch PF........not just by you but from many. the reason I don't think someone like a R-Anderson can help us is...........how much more are we going to get from him that we already aren't getting from Casspi right now? his skillset is already present on the team at a cheaper price. I know what Brewer's bread and butter is, but where does he get minutes on this team? he's not going to get Garcia's minutes and it's looking like Casspi is going to demand his cut. Brewer skill is great defensively, but for just a little less defense we can get a much better offensive player in the rotation over  Brewer. nobody is going the shut down LBJ, Durrant or a few others, so it's not like we are the only team that gets kill by them. the few games where a player like Brewer would be able to help us is a small return on investment weighed against letting a possible diamond in the ruff slip through our fingers. the Rockets are in win now mode, but that doesn't mean they can stop trying to find underrated talent for cheap. it's better to keep growing from within than like Miami who is forced to keep filling holes with older vets on their last legs chasing championships. OKC got the right idea......they just let the wrong player slip away. if teams want to have success and be able to sustain it....they must have a base of young talent they can continue to grow from while trapped in rookie scale deals...........that's the reality created by the new CBA

#54 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPip
                  • 1,865 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:23 PM

But why should the Rockets keep Greg Smith on the roster when his talents are duplicated by D12, Asik, Motiejunas, Terrance Williams and Camby plus Chandler Parsons and Casspi can slide over and play some PF minutes as well. Greg Smith is absolutely too one dimensional. Plus he's not very good at defense or rebounding the ball, either, in my opinion. The Rockets already have enough depth at the C and PF slots and need to fill out their roster with the guards and small forwards. I mean, Greg Smith can't even hit a 5-foot or 10-foot jumper. Everything is rolling to the bucket or a put back (if he somehow comes up with the offensive rebound). He's had 2 full seasons to develop his game and that just hasn't happened. What you see with Greg Smith is all your going to get. I would much rather the Rockets use Greg Smith's roster spot on Covington in order to do as you suggest, grow the roster from within.

#55 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPip
                    • 1,290 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:35 PM

Maybe trade smith plus a late pick for a backup C in the likely event asik is moved at the deadline.

#56 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                      • 4,122 posts
                      • Locationhouston

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:02 AM

But why should the Rockets keep Greg Smith on the roster when his talents are duplicated by D12, Asik, Motiejunas, Terrance Williams and Camby plus Chandler Parsons and Casspi can slide over and play some PF minutes as well. Greg Smith is absolutely too one dimensional. Plus he's not very good at defense or rebounding the ball, either, in my opinion. The Rockets already have enough depth at the C and PF slots and need to fill out their roster with the guards and small forwards. I mean, Greg Smith can't even hit a 5-foot or 10-foot jumper. Everything is rolling to the bucket or a put back (if he somehow comes up with the offensive rebound). He's had 2 full seasons to develop his game and that just hasn't happened. What you see with Greg Smith is all your going to get. I would much rather the Rockets use Greg Smith's roster spot on Covington in order to do as you suggest, grow the roster from within.

why? because if we trade Asik and Camby is unable to step up to the plate who is going to play center? T-Jones can't do it. neither can D-Mo at this point. we have plenty of options at PF, but not all PF's can play center. G-Smith can. he may not be the best at it, but he can play it for small increments. base on the fact that he makes less than 1 million. I call that a cheap insurance policy against the worst possible outcome. besides he can still play PF in a pinch. Yes G-Smith is limited in what he can do, but he's not a bad player and he's on an excellent contract. the guy is still very young. considering the minutes G-Smith covered last year was he worth 1 million by NBA standards? IMO yes he was. decent big men are  worth their weight in gold in this league. G-Smith will never be elite, but serviceable big men on cheap contracts are not assets to be let go easily.

#57 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPip
                      • 1,865 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:51 PM

Due to Camby's untimely (but probably to be expected due to his age) injury, Greg Smith has a strong likelihood of making the Rockets final roster in my humble estimation.

However, this will likely cost Covington a spot on the final roster.

As I have mentioned previously, the Rockets have an unenviable position of having to drop a quite possibly talented player this season due to the required NBA numbers game.

I would prefer to see the Rockets keep Covington on the final roster and develop him on their D-League team but the necessity of having Camby available later in the season will make it more than difficult for the Rockets to choose Covington over Greg Smith as the first couple of months and the uncertainty of Asik's situation makes it vital, at this point, in my opinion, to choose Greg Smith over Covington.

There will always be a new promising youngster later in the year, after the trade deadline or next summer to develop so I'm not totally disappointed with what I expect will be the Rockets final determination of the roster going into this season.

#58 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
                        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                        • 2,596 posts
                        • LocationAlabama

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:11 PM

I don't see the point of having Brooks on the roster. He is pretty washed up.

Why so Serious? :D

#59 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                        • PipPipPipPipPip
                        • 1,865 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:43 PM

AB seems washed up until the minute that Lin or Beverly are lost for a significant time of the season, if not all.

#60 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                          • PipPipPipPipPip
                          • 1,865 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:04 PM

I sincerely doubt money has absolutely no factor in the final decision of who I expect to be the Rockets final (quite tough) cut----Greg Smith and Covington make nearly the same amount of cashola so anybody who thinks the Rockets are trying to cut corners in their final roster decisions should try drinking something other than tea.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users