Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.
@  Mario Peña : (13 September 2015 - 05:24 PM) Sad to see Moses pass. I don't remember watching him as a Rocket but I do remember his Philly and Hawks teams. He was the perfect man to mentor Dream. It's a very sad day for his family and friends and there are many.
@  majik19 : (12 September 2015 - 09:01 PM) i just saw a post wishing Yao Ming a happy 35th birthday... am I the only one whose mind is blown that he's only 35?
@  cointurtlemoose : (08 September 2015 - 01:17 AM) aaaah, thanks jorge
@  jorgeaam : (08 September 2015 - 12:21 AM) Love it how Hinkie and Morey always target the same players, but hoping he isn't another Covington
@  thejohnnygold : (08 September 2015 - 12:03 AM) Christian Wood has signed with Philly
@  jorgeaam : (07 September 2015 - 10:32 PM) If I'm not wrong, he hasn't been waived yet, they have until october 4th to do that
@  cointurtlemoose : (07 September 2015 - 05:39 PM) Anyone else surprised that Kostas hasn't gotten picked up by anyone yet? I wanna see that guy play somewhere
@  redfaithful : (05 September 2015 - 10:48 PM) Llull line from today loss to Serbia: 30MIN 1-10PG, 0-5 3PG, 4-4FT 6AST, 1TO, 4REB, +/- -11
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html

Photo

Downsizing to 15

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#21 Richards

Richards

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:00 PM

We can't decide AB's fate on one game but we all are aware that he is in rapid decline.

#22 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
    • 2,298 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:56 PM

As to the Camby/Smith debate, youth is overrated especially in support roles for contenders. Talking about youth and potential is nice and all but that's all it is.
    How sweet it is!

#23 Drew in Abilene

Drew in Abilene

• Moderators
    • 301 posts
    • LocationAbilene

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:39 PM

I agree that youth can be overrated, but I think it's important to note that Camby is very old for an NBA player and coming off a very unproductive season due to injuries. Is there a chance that he comes back at full strength and contributes? Of course. To me the question is centered around how management evaluates his health. If he is healthy all season and able to contribute in the playoffs, he's got a great chance of sticking around. But that's a big if.

I don't care about youth and potential as much as I care about consistent production. In my mind, Smith is a better choice because I'm much more optimistic about him staying healthy and being able to contribute if needed. Camby is too much of a question mark for me, especially with Asik potentially being traded. I can get behind keeping both of them, especially since Smith can slide to the 4 sometimes, or cutting Camby, but would be very surprised if the team released Smith.

With that said, I think Ronnie Brewer and Reggie Williams look likely to be cut. From what I've read, lots of Rockets players have been hailed as impressive during training camp, but these two's names don't turn up in those quotes. They were not especially impressive in the first preseason game. I believe it was Brewer who missed a fairly easy fast break lay-up after one of Beverley's steals, though he was fouled in the process. Overall, I just haven't seen or heard anything that makes me think these guys are indispensable. 

#24 Freebird

Freebird

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 236 posts
    • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:38 PM

While I agree that youth isn't always the determining factor, I can't believe that they would replace Smith with Camby.  With Smith being primarily a PF, I think the comparisons are off-base by more than a bit.

I was aghast with Brewer's performance, even with this being a preseason game.  I saw nothing of the skills that kept him in the league for 7 years.  Perhaps I was hasty in my preference to him over Casspi.  Omri stepped up.  One game being one game, the quick judgement goes to Omri.  And the roster slot WILL be between those two - make no doubt about it.

Not sure about Williams.  Typically, having a backup SG is a good thing, but with Lin around, perhaps he'll be more of a combo guard this year?  Perhaps we'll play big (with Parsons or Casspi in the 2 slot, and both bigs on the floor)?  If they have designs for something similar to this line of thought, then Williams could be expendable.

#25 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,596 posts
    • LocationAlabama

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:00 PM

FSS, if we're talking Camby of a few years ago, you have a point. But we're not. This isn't the same guy. Its like all of these guys loving Brooks. Sometimes guys decline and aren't the same player. You could be right and Camby could be a solid role player. However, I disagree. Only time will tell.

Why so Serious? :D

#26 Richards

Richards

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 393 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:08 PM

We must choose Smith if we have to pick either Camby or Smith. Camby cannot play beyond this year. Even for this year, he still might not be available if needed. We are in win now mode but tough to win this year with changes we had. Remember, Miami trio didn't win in their first year together. 

#27 vonsteve

vonsteve

Rookie

• Members
      • PipPip
      • 57 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:57 PM

I just don't get the advantages of having Camby. I still can't figure out why we signed him. He's not close to the player he was. All I know is, if Camby ends up playing significant minutes, we're in a world of trouble. Definitely would prefer to keep Smith over him.

#28 CC.

CC.

Rookie

• Members
        • PipPip
        • 72 posts
        • LocationTX

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:18 AM

My guess: Brooks and Camby are out. Like how Freebird stated, we have 4 PGs! That's too much when we have Lin, an above average back up PG, and a darkhorse-rookie PG. Camby is 39 years old, which is like being 80 in the basketball world! And he has not even played a season with 60 plus games in the last six years! At least Smith can play PF or backup PF. But you cannot expect Camby to play back up center alone every game with those minutes, and that's if Asik is gone. If Asik stays why have him at all, move Smith into 3rd string C.

Edited by CC., 08 October 2013 - 03:19 AM.

#29 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,865 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:28 AM

It's OK that some here don't value Camby. I get it, Greg Smith is much younger. Perhaps he can be more than what we have seen so far. I doubt it, but it could happen. So I understand the trepidation of those valuing Greg Smith over Camby.

However, the one thing our team truly needs is veteran leadership. I don't picture D12 as the leader of this team, not yet anyway. Why not James Harden? I'm not sure he's quite ready to be the top honcho. D12 has been around awhile longer and has the physical attributes to be a great leader. Mentally, not yet. However, D12 for sure is where his talents can best excel in the NBA and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he takes things up a couple of notches including taking the leadership position for our team.

In the meantime, there is this old crusty dude, maybe some of you have heard of him, Mr. Marcus Camby, and he has many, many years of battles with the best of the best. Sure, he is getting creaky and old. However, smart and old at critical junctures of games can trump young and inexperienced.

The Rockets need a transitional leader, who can go into the game and make the right play for that moment, and I believe that is precisely why Marcus Camby is once again a Rocket.

No way that Greg Smith beats out Marcus Camby for a roster spot. However, that doesn't mean Greg Smith can't play his way onto the roster. I simply just don't see how he can do so. He doesn't bring anything special to the team that we don't already possess with D12, Asik, TJones, Demo, et al.

#30 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,865 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:36 AM

Not to mention Chandler Parsons and Omri Casspi are more than capable of playing some PF minutes. So adding up all our bigs--D12, Asik, TJones, Demo, Camby, Parsons and Casspi----------there really isn't a need for another big on this roster.

Especially taking into consideration the NBA has a dearth of big men and thus the reason Stretch 4's are becoming more and more common in the league.

Greg Smith is a fine, young man and I am certain he will battle valiantly to the end for a precious roster spot on the Rockets. I hope he proves me wrong. Unfortunately, Stretch 4 is not a part of Greg Smith's game.

It's strictly a numbers game when it comes to setting the final roster.

#31 Richards

Richards

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 393 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:53 AM

You cannot lead the troop while semi-retiring with on leg on rocking chair. You can't be a leader if you can't fight along side with your comrades. That doesn't mean you are useless. Yeah. you can be really good adviser but not a leader for sure.

#32 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPip
              • 1,179 posts
              • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:01 PM

Brooks seems like an obvious odd man out and I would expect him not to make the cut. I am guessing the other cut will come from the wings rather than at Centre position. There's no reason to have brought Camby on board unless the Front Office planned on keeping him around - it's not like he's worth having there just for training camp. I'm pretty sure that they wanted to see some competition for the wing spots, which is why they've brought in more than they need. So my thinking is that one of Brewer, Williams and Covington will end up being the final cut.

At the moment I'm leaning towards thinking that they'll probably keep Covington and send him to the D-League for seasoning, then drop one of the other two.  That's based on Morey's past MO, but he may have decided a strategy change is in order now the team is on the track to championship contention.

ST

#33 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
              • 2,298 posts
              • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:29 PM

I completely agree with what rocketrick and Sir Thursday are saying about Camby. It probably isn't even between Camby and Smith for a spot anyway.

Camby will be on this roster and his endgame is something we haven't really seen much of in the Rockets recent past. Camby is here for the final playoff run and the post season. Camby is here so that if the Rockets need a center in short stretches in a playoff series McHale will have an option with experience that has seen every team in the NBA and will lead the team from huddle till the whistle blows. Camby does not represent some intagible like upside or trade value rather he is here for about a dozen to 100 plays in the Rockets last third of games. The experiences this season gives potential leaders like Howard and Harden will mode them and Camby is a small part that will add to their development.

Also, the last thing I want to see is our young guys with potential soil themselves in the closing minutes of a game 7 or an elimination game this post season.
              How sweet it is!

#34 Drew in Abilene

Drew in Abilene

• Moderators
              • 301 posts
              • LocationAbilene

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:00 PM

There have been some really good arguments from a lot of different posters advocating for cutting or keeping several different players. Harden, Howard, Parsons, Lin, Asik, Beverley, Motiejunas, Jones, and Garcia are nine players that will definitely get one of the fifteen spots. That leaves eight players vying for six roster spots.

Out of Brewer, Brooks, Camby, Canaan, Casspi, Covington, Smith, and Williams, how do you rank their chances of keeping a roster spot? 

#35 bboley24

bboley24

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 393 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:49 PM

Smith

Canaan (DL)

Covington (DL)

Brewer

Casspi

Brooks

Camby

WIlliams

#36 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPip
                • 1,865 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:36 AM

Casspi, Camby and Canaan are locks (unless Camby's plantar foot injury is career ending).

Brooks will likely make the team, it's a long season with injuries along the way and Canaan is not ready at this point. However, I just don't see the Rockets waiving Canaan, not with our history of successful late draft picks the past few years.

So in my humble opinion, Brewer, Williams and Greg Smith are battling for the final 2 roster slots.

Of course, unexpected injuries between now and the start of the regular season could be a determining factor in the final roster spots.

#37 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPip
                  • 1,865 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:38 AM

Brewer's defensive prowess should be enough to earn him one of the remaining roster spots.

So it's probably going to come down to Greg Smith and Reggie Williams, neither of whom have had much opportunity thus far in pre-season games.

Due to Camby's injury concerns, Greg Smith may be the logical choice unless Reggie Williams lights things up in pre-season games and upcoming practices.

#38 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPip
                    • 1,865 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:40 AM

Covington is probably next to be cut. He has a lot of raw talent and needs a full season in the D-League to improve his game.

#39 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                      • 4,122 posts
                      • Locationhouston

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:08 PM

Williams and Brewer are the 2 final cuts. everyone keep talking about his defensive prowess, but the man can't hit the side of a barn with.....the side of a barn :lol: he can't throw a rock in the ocean standing on a jet ski. I love defensive players, but they call them 3 and D guys (not D and D guys). neither of these 2 have shown me enough to make the final roster. Covington and Canaan will be 14 and 15 and spend the year in the d-league. both will get a pass this year for being rooks. I have said it here before and I will say it again. THE ROCKETS KNEW LIN, BEVERLY AND CANAAN WERE ON THE ROSTER BEFORE SIGNING BROOKS AND KNEW HOWARD, ASIK, G-SMITH AND D-MO WERE ON THE ROSTER BEFORE SIGNING CAMBY. they were brought here as insurance and will remain on the roster. their chance to contribute will come after the all star break

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#40 PKM

PKM

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 124 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:24 PM

Covington and Williams are my guesses.  I know I've slammed Brewer fairly hard, but he's had the chance to show a few decent things/athleticism and Williams just hasn't played.  Covington I just don't value that much - keeping him would be a sign of development as opposed to any current play, and we already have enough young players at the 3-4 spot anyways.  Perhaps the same argument could be made for Canaan, but the Rockets clearly value Canaan higher and Canaan is owed a little bit more guaranteed money over the years - and as the Howard situation showed, every little bit can make a difference.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users