Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

How Do the Rockets Beat the NBA?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#21 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,597 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:41 PM

No Olynyk?

Why so Serious? :D

#22 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:48 PM

Nice breakdown OP. The rest of the division doesn't scare me at all (I believe that the Knicks will be worse this season, from the sole addition of Bargnani), but I don't know whether to laugh at the Nets or to wonder if they will upset the Heat. They could post a 48 win season, but seem much more likely to be 60 wins team. They could be just scary.

#23 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 506 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:44 AM

The Nets are an intriguing team, the Heat probably match up poorly against them given their issues with dealing with bigs , though the key is can this group play like a team and how much do their oldies have left in the tank? I think regular season wise they won't be THAT great due to all the pieces need fitting and oldies need resting, but playoff wise they could be rather scary.

The Heat remain the most talented team around, but it sure looks like a lot of their rivals are building themself to specifically counter them.

#24 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,636 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:06 AM

Garnett reverses the hand of time back a decade and destroys Ray Allen.

#25 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 2,597 posts
        • LocationAlabama

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:06 AM

The Nets have top 10 guys at every position. No weakness 1-5 and if D-Wills ankles are healthy he's a superstar. Plus Brook is always improving. If they stay healthy and manage their minutes I like them to challenge the Heat.

Why so Serious? :D

#26 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,636 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:11 AM

I would still choose the pacers though and there are too many questions about the bulls.

#27 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPipPip
          • 506 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:21 AM

I think it is mildly amusing how the balance turns, in the NBA in the last few years the movement is to go away from traditional post players and end up with a very mobile team of (efficient) gunners.... the Heat is the most extreme example of this... yet the apparent counter is .......... dominant traditional post players...  ...... hmmmmmmm seems like we come 360 doesn't it.

Edited by RollingWave, 14 September 2013 - 05:21 AM.

#28 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,636 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:50 AM

The game will costantley evolve with trends and fads coming and going. It usually starts with a winning team where other teams model themselves after until someone discovers a way to beat them. However the 3pt shot will only get more popular.

#29 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
              • 4,134 posts
              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:04 PM

As in all sports, systems only work when the talent to support them is in place.  Small-ball works when you have Lebron, Wade, Bosh, and Ray Allen/Shane Battier.  It is less successful with The Sacramento King's roster.

In football, we can all remember the "unstoppable" Rams teams from around 1999-2001.  Mike Martz orchestrated that offensive machine that included Marshall Faulk, Kurt Warner, a killer offensive line, and a bevy of receivers with great hands.  Strangely, Martz hasn't done anything noteworthy since those guys left--primarily Warner and Faulk.  Good systems still require the players to execute them.  Bill Belichek looks like a genius as long as Tom Brady is his quarterback...people forget how hard he bombed in Cleveland and NY.

For the Rockets to be successful, McHale and staff need to identify our bread and butter and shove it in opponents' faces over and over and over.  We all know the pick n roll will be at the top of that list, but offensive diversity will be crucial as the season goes on and we head into the playoffs.  I think one of our greatest assets will be drawing fouls (both Harden and Howard excel at this) and exploiting our opponents' lack of depth since most teams overload their frontline and leave very little left on the bench.  I'd like to see Houston open games in attack mode and try to garner quick fouls that force opposing bigs to sit early and often and then it's time for the dunk parade.

Once teams commit to packing the paint it will be time to light 'em up from the perimeter--something I expect us to do fairly well (at least top 10) from a % standpoint.  After a little bit of that opponents will become incredibly susceptible to dribble penetration (similar to play action passes in football) off of an up fake.  These will lead to many Dwight dunks and alley-oops.

Ultimately, this season comes down to how well we can defend as a team once the playoffs roll around.  I think we can all agree the offense won't be a problem.  Team defense will be the deciding factor in how far we go in the post-season.  Athletically, I think we can hang with any team in the league.  What concerns me are the teams with veteran savvy, and smart, disciplined coaching/schematics.  Those teams are San Antonio, Indiana, Chicago, Miami, and maybe Brooklyn.  OKC, Memphis, and LAC will all present challenges, but I think we can take them all in a playoff series.

#30 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPip
              • 1,636 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:29 PM

Defensively, we could be interesting. Besides howard and asik for 48 minutes of impenetrable rim protection. We can have lin around upper half of top 10 defensive PGs, and the biggest IF is harden can close to average so he doesn't hurt us. Parsons should improve more to become a reliable perimeter defender. Depending who is starting PF, we will either have demo which is a liability, Jones which I cannot say due to lack of enough evidence, but he could form a potent shot blocking duo with howard. Smith with his size and athleticism could form a a good defender or small rim protector if he were to tap into it.

2nd Unit

This is where it gets entertaining. With a dominate offensive starting unit, the second unit is defensive. With Beverly running point which I believe becoming a smarter and stronger basketball player will become one of our best perimeter defenders. Garcia has proven to us what he can do, then we have Brewer if he makes a comeback season will become our best perimeter defender along with whoever is PF and of course Big O. 

#31 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 4,125 posts
                • Locationhouston

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:04 PM

As in all sports, systems only work when the talent to support them is in place.  Small-ball works when you have Lebron, Wade, Bosh, and Ray Allen/Shane Battier.  It is less successful with The Sacramento King's roster.

In football, we can all remember the "unstoppable" Rams teams from around 1999-2001.  Mike Martz orchestrated that offensive machine that included Marshall Faulk, Kurt Warner, a killer offensive line, and a bevy of receivers with great hands.  Strangely, Martz hasn't done anything noteworthy since those guys left--primarily Warner and Faulk.  Good systems still require the players to execute them.  Bill Belichek looks like a genius as long as Tom Brady is his quarterback...people forget how hard he bombed in Cleveland and NY.

For the Rockets to be successful, McHale and staff need to identify our bread and butter and shove it in opponents' faces over and over and over.  We all know the pick n roll will be at the top of that list, but offensive diversity will be crucial as the season goes on and we head into the playoffs.  I think one of our greatest assets will be drawing fouls (both Harden and Howard excel at this) and exploiting our opponents' lack of depth since most teams overload their frontline and leave very little left on the bench.  I'd like to see Houston open games in attack mode and try to garner quick fouls that force opposing bigs to sit early and often and then it's time for the dunk parade.

Once teams commit to packing the paint it will be time to light 'em up from the perimeter--something I expect us to do fairly well (at least top 10) from a % standpoint.  After a little bit of that opponents will become incredibly susceptible to dribble penetration (similar to play action passes in football) off of an up fake.  These will lead to many Dwight dunks and alley-oops.

Ultimately, this season comes down to how well we can defend as a team once the playoffs roll around.  I think we can all agree the offense won't be a problem.  Team defense will be the deciding factor in how far we go in the post-season.  Athletically, I think we can hang with any team in the league.  What concerns me are the teams with veteran savvy, and smart, disciplined coaching/schematics.  Those teams are San Antonio, Indiana, Chicago, Miami, and maybe Brooklyn.  OKC, Memphis, and LAC will all present challenges, but I think we can take them all in a playoff series.

I am totally on board with this. good post JG. I agree talent wise we match up to anyone.....it's just a matter of finding a defensive flow

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#32 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPipPip
                • 506 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:23 AM

I'd point out that the Kings offense last year wasn't actually the main issue, it was pretty good for a team that was essentially playing pickup basketball, the problem was that they defended like pickup basketball too .

#33 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                  • 2,309 posts
                  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:39 AM

I'd point out that the Kings offense last year wasn't actually the main issue, it was pretty good for a team that was essentially playing pickup basketball, the problem was that they defended like pickup basketball too .

The point wasn't the "Issues of the Sacramento Kings." Of all the good discussion here that is a mind boggling thing to vear off topic about. Anyhow, I second that rockets best fan, johnnygold's post is a quality post.
                  How sweet it is!

#34 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 373 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:12 AM

Here I am attempting to post charts again. We will see if this works. I am futzing around with various graphing packages.

So this is just a test. Hope I have not inconvienced anyone. It failed.

Edited by NorEastern, 16 September 2013 - 02:13 AM.

#35 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPip
                    • 1,636 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:37 AM

At least you're persistant.

#36 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPip
                      • 548 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:22 PM

Here I am attempting to post charts again. We will see if this works. I am futzing around with various graphing packages.

So this is just a test. Hope I have not inconvienced anyone. It failed.

I appreciate your attempts to include us, here in your brilliant statistical insight. I've read your write-ups on TDS. IDK what it would take to get the mods here to allow you more posting power, but I hope they grant it to you. If your charts are working on TDS, I would suggest posting an external link. Maybe enough out-bound clicks will get their attention.

#37 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                        • 4,134 posts
                        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:48 PM

NorEastern, if you like I can help you solve your posting problems.  I'm no expert, but I have found ways to post just about anything I want to on here one way or another.  Sometimes it is a little more tedious than I like, but it's doable.  Let me know what's stopping you and we can find a solution.  We all like charts and graphs... :)

Back to the Rockets, I am dying to find out who surprises us once the season starts.  I can just feel it...somebody is going to break out.  I think it will be either Beverley or Greg Smith.  I know most of us, myself included, think D-Mo or T-Jones will claim the PF spot, but as Eby's Daily mentioned--Smith and Asik were able to be successful on the court together last year.  Smith is actually very similar to Dwight physically (minus the insane vertical leap) and I think it was Beverley who recently mentioned in an interview that Smith is in incredible shape.  Imagine if he rolls out bigger, leaner, and meaner and having put more work into his post game (or maybe even a 15 ft. jump shot :o ).

It's not official yet, but the Rockets are the deepest team in the league top to bottom.  I know it has been put forth that McHale only likes to run 8 deep on the roster, but I think that was circumstantial and we will see at least a 10 player rotation more often than not.

Lin, Bev, Harden, Parsons, Howard, Garcia, Asik, Smith, Jones, and Motie are all going to see the court.  It's just a matter of how much and in which line-ups (and we still have Casspi and Williams to work with).  One way in which this benefits us is that we can play more aggressive defense.  We will have 50+ fouls to give and still be able to put quality players on the floor.  The Rockets have a luxury most teams don't.  They would be wise to take advantage of that.

#38 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                        • 4,125 posts
                        • Locationhouston

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:31 PM

I totally agree JG. I have not been this excited about a season since DREAM was on the team.......Don't get me wrong I liked YAO and McGrady, but always felt in the back of my mind something would happen (injury) to keep us from getting to the promise land. however it's something special about this collection of talent. I can feel it .......it's like the force :lol:  

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#39 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
                        • PipPipPipPipPip
                        • 1,636 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:14 AM

This is why a trade is idiocy, we have too much talent to evaluate and use.

#40 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                          • 4,125 posts
                          • Locationhouston

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:36 AM

just because you worked your way up to the Corvette don't mean you should abandon the quest for the Ferrari

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users