Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  cointurtlemoose : (21 November 2015 - 06:39 AM) McHale might not have been a great coach, but he definitely was NOT the problem with this team...
@  majik19 : (21 November 2015 - 02:31 AM) our team is just embarassing
@  cointurtlemoose : (19 November 2015 - 07:11 AM) That was the most Corey Brewer thing I have ever seen
@  majik19 : (19 November 2015 - 04:20 AM) how the hell did that happen? maybe just switching from McHale to JB will change our bad luck...
@  Willk : (19 November 2015 - 03:58 AM) in my face
@  bboley24 : (19 November 2015 - 03:55 AM) So that just happened
@  Cooper : (19 November 2015 - 03:53 AM) got the win
@  Willk : (19 November 2015 - 02:06 AM) fire McHale! playing like crap again
@  SadLakerFan : (18 November 2015 - 06:21 PM) It's unfair, but it's the right move because it's the only move major move they had available to them. But, it seems just a tad premature - I wonder what was really said in the player meeting.
@  majik19 : (18 November 2015 - 06:03 PM) So much for building off continuity now that the core is in place... It's probably about time for another "Morey's Plan" article from Rahat.
@  txtdo1411 : (18 November 2015 - 05:26 PM) No problem. He definitely made it clear that changes will continue to be made until we are winning again.
@  cointurtlemoose : (18 November 2015 - 05:19 PM) Thanks for the link, txtdo; good words from Morey, I thought
@  cointurtlemoose : (18 November 2015 - 05:14 PM) Wow, I expected this 6 or 7 games from now if things didn't change... This seems a tad early. And they better have a replacement actually in mind and ready to hire, otherwise this seems like a misguided move
@  txtdo1411 : (18 November 2015 - 05:13 PM) Its going on right now.
@  txtdo1411 : (18 November 2015 - 05:13 PM) http://api.viglink.c...9&title=Rockets Press Conference 11am - ClutchFans&txt=http://www.khou.com/videos/news/loca...7/29/12651418/
@  slick shoes : (18 November 2015 - 05:12 PM) Anyone know where to listen in to the DM press conference?
@  DenverRocket : (18 November 2015 - 04:50 PM) Shocked too, but then again not. Something had to give. I can't see JB being given the reins f/t. Surely they have a contingency? Thibs?
@  txtdo1411 : (18 November 2015 - 04:48 PM) I wonder if the plan is to find a replacement fairly quickly, or to give JB a shot. I'm trying to understand how things would change, since JB has been in the locker room all year. The players are going to give him effort now just because McHale is gone?
@  majik19 : (18 November 2015 - 04:22 PM) just shocked. I feel like this is now a lost season. We were struggling under McHale, but do we really think J.B. can lead us to a championship?
@  thenit : (18 November 2015 - 04:19 PM) Its becoming a winner or becoming Melo, great scorer but not coachable

Photo

Pairing Asik with Howard should be top priority

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#61 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:11 AM

well actually no, LMA cost 14m so the rockets need to send out about 9m money to match, which means Asik + Jones would be enough to be legal.

(CBA wise anyway. I don't think the Blazers would really do a trade like that, if they were really going to blow things up they'd look for much higher long term upsides .)

Edited by RollingWave, 06 September 2013 - 03:11 AM.

#62 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,297 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:31 AM

You think lebron couldn't guard asik? All he has to do is not get pushed around he's easily 250-260 pounds asik is listed at 255 and might be a bit heavier than that but they're essentially the same wieght with asik several inches taller. Okc wouldn't have an issue with that lineup as well. I'm not advocating to dump asik tommorow but its unrealistic for him to be on the roster long term unless there are other changes made.

#63 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,636 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:02 AM

48 mins of rim protection, to keep howard rested, and Howard insurence incase of injury or Howard playoff foul trouble. That's why we keep him.

#64 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPipPip
        • 506 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:10 AM

I'd note that Lebron appeared to have more trouble guarding David West than Derrick Rose /  Tony Parker, it's obvious who's the worst overall offensive player of that group.

The general point of those lineup is that it either forces Lebron to not guard a perimeter player (a huge plus) and/or it forces them to keep Haslem / Anderson in the game at all times instead of going to smaller lines (which is also good. ) . 

Is the plus worth the minus? I  don't know, nobody knows until we see things, as Bickerstaff said in his interview a couple days ago what happened in this year's playoff was that after the Rockets got destroyed in game one they went back and realized they may have found by accident the linup to beat OKC which was the really small lineup.  which they discovered by accident because of that game right after the trade deadline where they moved Patterson / Morris but haven't gotten Robinson / Garcia back yet so they were super short handed and started Delfino that game.

But at worst I think this probably works in the regular season to enough extend to make keeping Asik on the roster reasonable,  which is actually the biggest point.  in the playoffs, all gloves are off and you never really know how matchups work out.

#65 Marquette

Marquette

• Members
          • Pip
          • 1 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:38 AM

With Howard-Asik together, I think we can guard stretch 4s.  Usually the problem is it draws one of the better defenders away from the interior.  The defending 4 will always need to hedge toward the middle.  But if we send Asik out to guard the stretch 4, we will still have Howard inside to terrorize them.  Anyway we'll have a taste of the medicine we gave to our opponents last year.  If we experience problems, then we;ll send someone like TJones or Casspi to guard that stretch 4.

On offense, I think our coaches are creative enough to design something unexpected.  Asik showed last year he can pass in the interior.so maybe we'll see passing from high to low post and vice versa.  We can run pick and roll on either side.  Asik and Howard can screen each other's defenders.  If coaches and players can stretch their imaginations and are willing to try things new for them, I think we'll see good things.

Of course, opponents can adjust by playing small but that's one thing we're good at too.  I'm excited!

#66 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
            • 4,186 posts
            • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:57 PM

Let us also remember....IF we get to the finals this year it will be against Indiana  B)  and we will be very glad we have Asik on board against Hibbert & Co.

#67 Chichos

Chichos

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 216 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:01 PM

In the playoffs 

A. you would have less trouble sitting a starter for extensive times, see Tiago Splitter in the finals

B. matchups are hard to predict, so keeping all options open is a good thing, for example, having Dwight + Asik is potentially really good against Miami given how poorly they deal with size.

C. Dwight gets into major foul trouble a lot in the playoffs, making the value of a quality backup much much higher.

you forgot D.  Having Howsik (seriously how great is that nickname) set roughly 10 total screens on every offensive set.  Having both men set multiple screens will open up role players to more easy buckets.

#68 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 4,162 posts
              • Locationhouston

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:06 PM

With Howard-Asik together, I think we can guard stretch 4s.  Usually the problem is it draws one of the better defenders away from the interior.  The defending 4 will always need to hedge toward the middle.  But if we send Asik out to guard the stretch 4, we will still have Howard inside to terrorize them.  Anyway we'll have a taste of the medicine we gave to our opponents last year.  If we experience problems, then we;ll send someone like TJones or Casspi to guard that stretch 4.

On offense, I think our coaches are creative enough to design something unexpected.  Asik showed last year he can pass in the interior.so maybe we'll see passing from high to low post and vice versa.  We can run pick and roll on either side.  Asik and Howard can screen each other's defenders.  If coaches and players can stretch their imaginations and are willing to try things new for them, I think we'll see good things.

Of course, opponents can adjust by playing small but that's one thing we're good at too.  I'm excited!

WELCOME to the forum B) I totally agree on defense. we will be capable of guarding almost anybody........both Howard and Asik are nimble enough to get out and cover the opposing PF and the other team grabbing offensive rebounds will be almost unheard of. I disagree on offense though. teams will simply pack the paint and force us to shoot from outside.......picks only work well if the defensive man has a reason to follow the offensive player out side 8-10 feet. if neither Howard or Asik can hit a shot from there.......their man will have no reason to do so. we may be able to sustain it through hot outside shooting in small stretches, but for extended periods it will hurt us.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#69 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPip
              • 1,636 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:18 PM

It won't be for extended periods.

#70 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 4,162 posts
                • Locationhouston

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:47 PM

It won't be for extended periods.

there are some teams that we will be able to play most of the game this way....ie Memphis, the Spurs.........but there are also a lot of teams this won't work on at all......ie GSW, Denver. having to big defenders who can't get back on the break will only allow the opposing team transition buckets. they may be great in the half court, but that's only half the problem

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#71 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPip
                • 1,636 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:56 PM

Will see that's whats great, we are so versatile, we can either play this lineup for most of the game or for none of it. I honestly can't see a problem with it.

Edited by Buckko, 06 September 2013 - 10:56 PM.

#72 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 4,162 posts
                  • Locationhouston

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:06 PM

Will see that's whats great, we are so versatile, we can either play this lineup for most of the game or for none of it. I honestly can't see a problem with it.

problem is when we hit a string of teams who play small ball and Asik's minutes decline because of it. will he remain positive with the reduced minutes? he has already said he wants more than a backup role

#73 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPip
                  • 1,636 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:30 PM

Winning fixes all ills.

#74 myjohnlai

myjohnlai

• Members
                    • Pip
                    • 29 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:41 AM

Asik is not a finished product. He has been making progress  in offense. He was even hecked in the playoff but he survived and he made the shots. He certainly can develop shots away from the basket. He still has lots of upsides and he has proved to many that he could learn to be a better basketball player.

He's going to be fine. Don't mess with him what he couldn't. It was history. He has proved that many were wrong about him. The Chicago team has lost a great player in him and I sure hope that Houston would not make the same mistake.

#75 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPip
                      • 1,636 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:20 AM

Imagine if he develops a jump shot, European players are known for being hard workers at refining skills.

#76 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
                        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                        • 2,597 posts
                        • LocationAlabama

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:06 PM

Imagine if he develops a jump shot, European players are known for being hard workers at refining skills.

That is the most far fetched thing I've ever heard.

If he was so great at developing skills, he would have:

1) learned how to catch

2) learned how to do a simple layup

3) .......and so on and so forth.

Asik is not very skilled. But he's learned the mental side of the game, such as where to be on rotations and things like that.

Why so Serious? :D

#77 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                        • 4,186 posts
                        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:21 PM

While your point is valid, I will offer this counter-point.  I can't recall exactly when it occurred now, but mid-late season last year Asik hit a late game 18 ft. jumper that helped seal a victory.  After the game, one of our players (again can't remember now) was asked about the shot and if he was surprised it went in...he replied, "No, I wasn't surprised.  I see Big O make those shots in practice every day...." and so on.

Now, maybe he was just politicking to the media....or maybe he was being sincere.  Who knows?  Personally, I think Asik does practice those shots and will improve to the point where it will at least be something the defense has to deal with or pay the price.

#78 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
                        • PipPipPipPipPip
                        • 1,297 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:30 PM

Asik is 27 its not like he just started playing basketball yesterday, while shooting is one of the things you can really improve on later in your career, if he hasn't gotten basic things like catching the ball and finishing layups yet I wouldn't expect that to change a whole lot he just doesn't have soft hands.

#79 BrentYen

BrentYen

• Members
                          • PipPipPip
                          • 339 posts
                          • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:57 PM

Asik is 27 its not like he just started playing basketball yesterday, while shooting is one of the things you can really improve on later in your career, if he hasn't gotten basic things like catching the ball and finishing layups yet I wouldn't expect that to change a whole lot he just doesn't have soft hands.

I personally think catching the ball and finishing layups are different from hitting a jump shot. All require different kind of touches and balance abilities. The only reason if he still can not hit the J later in his career will be because he does not practice it IMO. I think he knows it, and I just assume he has been working on it every day. BTW, his shooting form is not bad.

Is a big Jeremy Lin fan and was a big ROX fan. More importantly, a huge bball fan in general.

#80 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                          • 4,186 posts
                          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:02 PM

I personally think catching the ball and finishing layups are different from hitting a jump shot. All require different kind of touches and balance abilities. The only reason if he still can not hit the J later in his career will be because he does not practice it IMO. I think he knows it, and I just assume he has been working on it every day. BTW, his shooting form is not bad.

Ha, I was just about to write something akin to this....Lay-ups are very soft shots and are easy to miss when trying to muscle through big, strong guys while still maintaining control.  If I'm not mistaken, Asik shoots a better percentage on FT's then he does lay-ups (Feel free to correct me on that) which actually lends credence to the notion that he has better control of longer shots than the closer, softer ones.  I'm not saying we should start running an offense predicated on Omer shooting 15-18 ft. jumpers, but I do think he can be a threat to keep defenders honest.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users