Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  slick shoes : (11 May 2016 - 02:36 AM) dwight and kenny smith on TNT tonight showing love for each other.
@  slick shoes : (09 May 2016 - 08:13 PM) ...and we've got the great Kenny Smith coming in tomorrow.....
@  DenverRocket : (09 May 2016 - 05:50 PM) Apparently Blatt is interviewing today. Joerger close to signing up with Kings
@  majik19 : (07 May 2016 - 05:43 PM) um.. Dave Joerger anyone?
@  majik19 : (05 May 2016 - 04:25 PM) I was just about to ask about Vogel. But can he take us to the next level?
@  slick shoes : (05 May 2016 - 03:04 PM) Vogel is available. We need to snatch him up asap.
@  majik19 : (05 May 2016 - 02:59 PM) I also find it funny that McHale said "no thanks" to the Kings job.
@  slick shoes : (04 May 2016 - 03:07 PM) I'm really enjoying the fact that we have only interviewed one coaching prospect and he would rather coach the 2nd worst team in the NBA than us.
@  thenit : (28 April 2016 - 06:27 PM) Harden is the best offensive player but the best overall was Klay last night
@  majik19 : (28 April 2016 - 04:25 AM) klay thompson is the best player on the floor. hard to win when Harden isn't the best.
@  majik19 : (28 April 2016 - 04:19 AM) GS is better at hitting bad/covered shots than anyone on our team is at hitting open shots.
@  majik19 : (28 April 2016 - 04:16 AM) that was embarassing. 4 offensive rebounds. 2 missed 3s by Ariza and 2 missed 3s by Beverley.
@  Cooper : (28 April 2016 - 03:24 AM) this team is depressing
@  majik19 : (28 April 2016 - 03:01 AM) Ariza is a complete negative on the floor. he can't hit a shot or fight through/around a screen to save his life
@  majik19 : (28 April 2016 - 02:54 AM) everyone but james harden is terrible right now
@  thejohnnygold : (27 April 2016 - 08:49 PM) I think Walton is going to be a solid hire for somebody. I wouldn't mind if it were for us.
@  slick shoes : (27 April 2016 - 06:15 PM) I'd like to see them take it full circle and hire Walton. I don't know if he's the right buy for their young core currently, but maybe 2-3 years from now.
@  thejohnnygold : (27 April 2016 - 05:24 PM) Knowing LA, they will do something that leaves us all scratching our heads.
@  slick shoes : (27 April 2016 - 04:56 PM) While I do favor JVG, I hope that we also kick the tires on a few other guys as well.
@  thejohnnygold : (27 April 2016 - 01:34 PM) If you mean JVG--no, I'm not worried. :)

Photo

Pairing Asik with Howard should be top priority

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#21 Chichos

Chichos

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:41 PM

Thorpe is doing a piece on what it would take to beat the heat and he just finished his third installment.http://insider.espn....eating-heat-nba

At the very end he talks about coaches doing something crazy like a triangle and 2 or a box and one.  I think the Asik Howard combo has the most value in a series with OKC or Miami where we run that unconventional defense and truly force the role players to score 20 points a night for 4 games.  Both Asik and Howard have the skills to make these sets work defensively I think we all agree there.  But the risk reward would be high.  I think making it to the playoffs and being able to implement these type of sets would do wonders for the teams moral.  I don't think Morey moves Asik until next year specifically to see if the Howsik (Rahat can I trade mark this?  Where do I fill out the paperwork) combo is really more valuable in a 7 game series where we have time to game plan for specific components of top offenses.

#22 Richards

Richards

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 393 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:41 PM

Howard makes significantly more than harden.

We all knew that. What I am saying was Howard could have made more if he signed with Lakers. Bigger media market, celebrities with basketball town. More potential commercial deals, etc.

#23 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
      • 1,563 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:43 PM

Whenever Asik and Dwight are on the court together, I foresee a decrease in penetration from our guards, and a decrease in the effectiveness of the pick and roll. 

Definitely.  That's why it will probably fail overall.  And so that's why I hope emphasis is placed upon that in camp.  I'd try and rest Harden during those minutes since he won't have any driving lanes anyway.

#24 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
        • 1,563 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:45 PM

Thorpe is doing a piece on what it would take to beat the heat and he just finished his third installment.http://insider.espn....eating-heat-nba

At the very end he talks about coaches doing something crazy like a triangle and 2 or a box and one.  I think the Asik Howard combo has the most value in a series with OKC or Miami where we run that unconventional defense and truly force the role players to score 20 points a night for 4 games.  Both Asik and Howard have the skills to make these sets work defensively I think we all agree there.  But the risk reward would be high.  I think making it to the playoffs and being able to implement these type of sets would do wonders for the teams moral.  I don't think Morey moves Asik until next year specifically to see if the Howsik (Rahat can I trade mark this?  Where do I fill out the paperwork) combo is really more valuable in a 7 game series where we have time to game plan for specific components of top offenses.

I definitely see it having the most value against the Heat where I think you have to have something truly extraordinarily unique to overcome Lebron.  Having two top-5 defensive 7 footers on the court together could be that.  But the season needs to be used to experiment to get the offense during that time acceptable.  As we saw with Lin though, I'm not sure McHale is ready to sacrifice wins for long term benefit.

#25 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPipPip
          • 506 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:55 PM

By bad fit, are you referring to Howard with Asik or Howard with Aldridge?  

heh, Adridge and Howard in a vacuum is a good fit, just that add Harden and it becomes questionable.

I'm mostly speaking of Asik + Howard, teams havn't made twin towers work in a while, (at a truly elite level.) so if we could do it it would be huge.

#26 Richards

Richards

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 393 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:11 PM

I definitely see it having the most value against the Heat where I think you have to have something truly extraordinarily unique to overcome Lebron.  Having two top-5 defensive 7 footers on the court together could be that.  But the season needs to be used to experiment to get the offense during that time acceptable.  As we saw with Lin though, I'm not sure McHale is ready to sacrifice wins for long term benefit.

I have to strongly agree here. (yes. I do not agree to use both Asik and Howard together in general)

I think starting the same five (unless no better options) to play against different teams/systems/schemes should be a thing in the past. You are right that ability to stop Heat out-weight the drop in offense. 

#27 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 378 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:14 PM

I do not believe that game in and game out Howard and Asikcan fit on the floor together, but during the season there will be times that the pairing would work acceptably. For instance against Memphis, Detroit etc., those teams that typically play two very large and not terrifically mobile big men together, and perhaps against SAS. Also when the competition is thoroughly outclassed. There should be ample oppertunities to get Asik up to 24 minutes a game over the entire season.

The Heat is the one team that playing Asik and Howard together would be an unmitigated disaster. The same for other talented teams that decide to go small.

#28 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPipPip
                • 549 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:16 PM

Whenever Asik and Dwight are on the court together, I foresee a decrease in penetration from our guards, and a decrease in the effectiveness of the pick and roll. 

Yes, this is where any problems with this pairing may arise, but we're also talking for what? 10 minutes per game tops? No question the defense here would be balls. But, we're also assuming that PnR and driving guards are our two offensive options. We could call this post-up time for Dwight. He would demand a double team immediately on the entry pass, probably coming from the perimeter, opening up 3's. No double? Then it's an automatic 2. Someone gonna help off Asik in this situation? Please, pocket pass and Dunk.

This is also assuming the two characters in question are inane clods who do not much more than take up space on the block. No, neither one would be able to pull their defenders to beyond the arc. But, if Asik is setting the pick, DH could at least pull his man 15' or so off the block on the weak side, where it would be as foolish to leave him alone there as it would Parsons behind the arc.

I'm not necessarily a proponent of this pairing, more I want us to do whatever possible to retain Asik, get the most for our money, and keep him happy with his role on this team as I feel he will be pivotal in our chase for the one ring. Not a proponent but definitely not paranoid of the pairing as some are. I'm confident they can make it work for short stretches.

#29 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                  • 4,455 posts
                  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:17 PM

I'm not saying it would be easy (or that it will definitely work) but the continued assertion that Houston cannot score the basketball with Asik+Howard on the floor is making me crazy.  If you mean James Harden will have trouble dribbling for 18 seconds and then putting his head down, barreling towards the basket and sort-of-shooting-sort-of-flailing-his-arms-and-drawing-a-foul-or-not offense.....I still disagree.  His whole schtick relies on contact so why not put more big oafs down there for him to bounce off of?  Obviously, I am being a little sardonic....the point is, I feel most of the opposition comes from either the stubborn belief that there is but one way to play offense...that and the Scientology of Spacing.

Before anyone attacks me for being anti-spacial, I am all for spacing.  I also believe there are ways around that issue.  It's called good coaching.  In a playoff series, maybe a team can bust the Asik+Howard option.  That's fine.  These things happen to almost every team in the playoffs.

I know this thing has been beaten to death.  I think we should let them play some games before we set this notion in stone.

#30 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPip
                  • 549 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:44 PM

I'm not saying it would be easy (or that it will definitely work) but the continued assertion that Houston cannot score the basketball with Asik+Howard on the floor is making me crazy.  If you mean James Harden will have trouble dribbling for 18 seconds and then putting his head down, barreling towards the basket and sort-of-shooting-sort-of-flailing-his-arms-and-drawing-a-foul-or-not offense.....I still disagree.  His whole schtick relies on contact so why not put more big oafs down there for him to bounce off of?  Obviously, I am being a little sardonic....the point is, I feel most of the opposition comes from either the stubborn belief that there is but one way to play offense...that and the Scientology of Spacing.

Before anyone attacks me for being anti-spacial, I am all for spacing.  I also believe there are ways around that issue.  It's called good coaching.  In a playoff series, maybe a team can bust the Asik+Howard option.  That's fine.  These things happen to almost every team in the playoffs.

I know this thing has been beaten to death.  I think we should let them play some games before we set this notion in stone.

What else is the offseason for if not beating speculations to death? Every post here could be closed with your last sentence. But, what fun would that be?

#31 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                    • 2,356 posts
                    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:00 PM

First of all I am starting with the fact McHale is in charge and has the full backing of the front office to lead his team as he wishes. I am sure some strategy comes from Morey but I'm sure it has to pass muster with McHale. And let's be clear these two are probably much more on the same page and not at odds as much as some here on this forum would like to imagine. The approach McHale takes with Howard and Asik will probably be experimental at times and is not really comparable to how he dealt with Lin who was not even a seasoned veteran. Much of how Howard and Asik will be used might be dictated by the realities of the situation (injuries and trades) whereas Lin is much less significant to the big picture, probably not a major player and may be gone within the next couple of years.

With regards to Howard and Asik playing together I must say this has been discussed extensively here in the forum around the time of Howard joining the Rockets. I am of the same mind now as I was then. I echo what some have already stated that Asik is here above all else to make sure that Howard enters the post season at one hundred percent instead of limping in. You cannot put a price on health. A quick rundown of teams in recent NBA history that were partially derailed by injuries includes the Thunder, Lakers, Celtics, Bulls and the Spurs (and those were just a few contenders, there are a list of other teams who have been kept from the playoffs or deep runs like the Knicks and Timberwolves among many others).

I also strongly disagree that for limited stretches that the offense will somehow drop off so much that it negates the huge difference in defensive improvement. It is not all about offense and the growth area for this team is obviously on the defensive end and Rahat is correct in pointing that out. It's about defense this year and I know it's not as exciting for many of you but I would put money that is what gets developed this year. McHale must be chomping at the bit, he finally has the team he was always meant to coach.

I don't think this conversation can be had without separating the regular and post seasons. The Rockets must get through the season healthy and with defined roles. Once the post season arrives the Rockets should be ready to create mismatches on both ends of the court and therein lies the Rockets true strength I believe. They could be dangerous in the post season.

These are just my opinions.
                    I can't stand the Warriors!

#32 Chichos

Chichos

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 216 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:02 PM

The big test will be to see if McHale gets creative with his defensive sets against OKC, Clippers, Memphis, etc.  Those will all be "important" games so to see how he adjusts, if at all, will be an indicator of his priorities.

#33 Journeymany

Journeymany

Rookie

• Members
                      • PipPip
                      • 54 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:08 PM

Long time reader, first time poster here :) - agree with most of what johnnygold said. Does noone remember McHale/Parish vs Sampson/Hakeem? Furthermore, if Howard does want to play more in the post, that would be the perfect time - you could go with a lineup of:

Beverley
                        Brewer

Garcia

Howard

Asik

I could see that being exceptionally hard to score against, meaning you wouldn't need to score that many.... and scoring can still be achieved with good coaching. Could be a real test of McHale's x's and o's ability.

#34 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                        • 2,356 posts
                        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:23 PM

Welcome to Red94 Journeymany. I hope you enjoy debating with fellow forum members as much as you have enjoyed reading the topics in the past. The coming Rocket's season is going to be an exciting one and I am glad you are on board here. Go Rockets!
                        I can't stand the Warriors!

#35 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
                        • PipPipPipPipPip
                        • 1,309 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

Would Howard or asik be effective guarding teams that decide to go small instead of trying to match bigs? If anyone can bring in a decent sized wing that can shoot and just not be pushed around by asik so much when he is defending to keep asik from easy dunks then that totally negates having both of them out there since having either away from the hoop they become more of a liability and less of an asset.

#36 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
                          • PipPipPip
                          • 342 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:31 PM

At issue w/Garcia is he can't stay healthy.
                            Hasn't played more than 65 games in his last 5 seasons.

I'm a big Aldridge fan and the worries about his fit are hugely overblown.
                            He had tremendous chemistry w/Roy in the pick-n-roll. He is an extremely good 1-on-1 defender,esp in low post,thus freeing up Howard to help out everywhere else.
                            His new coach last yr was an offensive coach in Dallas and wanted Aldridge to play like Dirk. Not to mention LMA WAS the offense for Portland and everybody geared up to stop him.
                            He's also a low-maintainence person,which means no drama in locker-room.
                            He's only signed for this season and next,fitting in w/Morey's other big salaries(Lin,Asik).(Put it this way,while the Cap Salary is vastly diff,the actual money Les will have to pay is just $1mil more for LMA over Asik in 2014.)
                            That said,I doubt Portland trades him until Feb,and then only if the Blazers have fallen apart. And it would take a 3-way trade for Houston to get Aldridge.

#37 Freebird

Freebird

• Members
                            • PipPipPip
                            • 236 posts
                            • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:41 PM

Personally, I would LOVE to see Asik and Howard on at the same time.  I don't know why we put such an emphasis on the stretch 4.  Many a team has played and won with a big 4 pounding the boards.  Heck, McHale was one of them.  Just saying that a quality big is what is needed.  The stretch 4 was needed for last year to help with our offense.  This year, we will have a pounding offensive - something more of the inside-out variety, methinks.

I understand that we want layups and 3's, but a second big at a given time just increases the offensive rebounding numbers.  Having 2 options to get a layup/dunk will just increase the percentages.  And when they are in a bad position, they will still kick it out to Harden.  No worries.

D12 has the athleticism (for now) to guard almost any 4 in the league, if need be.  Heck, it makes D easier for everyone having both on the floor.  It lets our perimeter guys take a hard line on the 3 point line.  Let those guys blow by you - and get it stuffed.  Force other teams into the shots we don't like to shoot, and something good will happen.

#38 John P

John P

• Members
                            • PipPipPip
                            • 112 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:58 PM

Everyone is crazy but me... just kidding.

In my mind this is an argument about liking a player and not wanting to lose him.

Yes, if we have either Howard or Asik in at all times during our games we will be much much better on D against most teams during the regular season.

But all teams now have some sort of small ball, 3 point shooting, perimeter sitting lineup that will eat the two bigs alive at one point. Wade, Lebron, Allen, Battier and maybe Oden or Birdman would just keep the one big in the middle and let Lebron and Wade go to work.

Don't keep Asik or like Asik cause we like him and we don't want to take a dip defensively during the 10 minutes or so Howard rests. I don't think that outweights the impact of instead having a well rounded solid D and jump/perimeter shooting 4 that can have a bigger impact over a larger stretch of the game than just the 10 minutes Howard needs a rest.

I love Asik....and was actually more for signing Iggy and Millsap over just Howard ...if we could have afforded it.

But I just think that having excellent post D for all of the game but bad to medicore 4 play for 3/4th of the game is not as good as having excellent post D for 3/4ths of the game and also having great 4 play also for 3/4ths of the game.

I am not for trading Asik now...it could work playing them together (though I highly doubt it) but seeing if it can work and seeing if a bargain deal comes up to maximize the eventual Asik trade, but I would be shocked if Asik is on the team come trade deadline unless Jones or Dmo have approached even Patrick Patterson's level by that time

#39 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                              • 1,563 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:04 PM

At issue w/Garcia is he can't stay healthy.
                                Hasn't played more than 65 games in his last 5 seasons.

I'm a big Aldridge fan and the worries about his fit are hugely overblown.
                                He had tremendous chemistry w/Roy in the pick-n-roll. He is an extremely good 1-on-1 defender,esp in low post,thus freeing up Howard to help out everywhere else.
                                His new coach last yr was an offensive coach in Dallas and wanted Aldridge to play like Dirk. Not to mention LMA WAS the offense for Portland and everybody geared up to stop him.
                                He's also a low-maintainence person,which means no drama in locker-room.
                                He's only signed for this season and next,fitting in w/Morey's other big salaries(Lin,Asik).(Put it this way,while the Cap Salary is vastly diff,the actual money Les will have to pay is just $1mil more for LMA over Asik in 2014.)
                                That said,I doubt Portland trades him until Feb,and then only if the Blazers have fallen apart. And it would take a 3-way trade for Houston to get Aldridge.

I don't think there are any worries about fit with LMA - he's actually the perfect fit.  He spaces the floor etc.

What I, and I think others, are saying is that that fit isn't enough of an upgrade to justify the cost especially when you consider it comes in the form of mid-range shots (the lowest yield return.)  If it were a 3 point shooter like Love, it'd be different.

I'd personally honestly rather just have Lin and Asik.  

#40 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
                                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                                • 2,598 posts
                                • LocationAlabama

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:21 PM

I don't think Mchale can coach competent xs and os

Why so Serious? :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users