Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.

Photo

Will the Rockets Pull Another Last Second Trade?

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#21 CC.

CC.

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:53 AM

to continue the pattern line of thought:

as this off season has unfolded these events have transpired

1. starting with the exit interviews their was a clear vibe given off by Beverly and Lin. we have discussed it here before, but now it appears it may have been the beginning of a pattern. after each players spoke to the media Bev kept saying McHale told him the sky was the limit for him while Lin was more subdued and said they discussed ways to improve his game

2. Lin is nowhere near any of the D-12 recruitment process or the fan fair following.......yet Beverly was part of the fan fair.....hmmm

3. Lin's slow reaction to the news of D-12's signing......considering how big this signing was there is no way G-Smith should beat him to twitter :)

4. It's clear the Rockets shopped Lin before the D-12 signing to explore what he would bring on the market, but later settled on the T-Rob deal. some feelings may have been hurt there

5. Lin opened up to crowd about.....well you know the interview......like I mention above while courageous...it's almost taboo for NBA players. do you think the Rockets were happy? maybe they sensed him separating and that's why a couple of players showed up at his basketball camp because he clearly seem surprised on his next tweet. Morey said in the D-12 interview that D-12 and Harden wanted Lin and Asik on the team yet almost everything the Rockets have done seems like it's preparing their departure(more on that in a minute)

6.Lin's statement I explored above( he hasn't practiced with D-12) if the informal gathering in LA wasn't for training together then what was it for?

7. Morey's AMA (ask him anything) feed he address Lin with a thumbs up, but look later what he said about Asik (Asik is a starter+ player. with that said he would rather play for a winner)..........Translation: Asik still wants out, but doesn't want to go to the Bobcats :lol: there is a high possibility the Rockets will move Lin in any Asik deal. the likely player they would be chasing would probably require Lin's salary to make the money work

8. the Rockets have 4 PG's and 4 C's on the roster.....they knew Lin, Beverly and Canaan were on the roster when they signed Brooks. they knew D-12, Asik, G-Smith and D-Mo were on the roster before they sign Camby. why would you give out guaranteed money to vets who expect playing time in already stacked positions on your team? Camby made it clear leaving NY he wanted to play and play for a contender.

9. whether we like to brush it aside or not, MONEY...........we are aware of how their contracts work, 5 mil this year each for both Asik and Lin and 15 mil next year for both with cap hits of 8.3 mil both this year and next. it only makes sense that the Rocket try to move at least one of these contracts especially if they want to shorten Parsons deal so they can retain him in restricted free agency. I could go on about the other benifits of moving both of these contracts, but I think you get the picture.

in conclusion it appears everything the Rockets are saying sounds good, but what they are doing is a different story. they appear to be making preparations for the departure of both Asik and Lin. Lin may be seeing that based on his actions. some may see it as minor however I see a pattern emerging. I was of the belief the Rockets would wait until the deadline to trade both, now believe it may happen before the season.

RBF, None of 1. through 8. as your reasons is solid evidence Lin or Asik is gone. I also like how your first six reasons only aim at Lin... Hmmmm. And there's nothing wrong with Lin having his own plans this summer and to coincidentally be separated from his new team. Your first reason sounds like a conspiracy theory. Your third reason is absurd, because what, Lin didn't tweet Howard 'Welcome to the Team!' 24 hrs Howard was a rocket? ..Fourth reason I'd like to ask you, was it really 'clear' Lin was being shopped? Fifth reason...Again, don't use tweets as evidence. Sixth reason goes back to his summer plans...and he's been training so don't worry about an improvement-with or without his team. Your seventh reason makes no tie between Lin and Asik! So Asik doesn't want to go to the Bobcats, he wants to go to a contender, but what does Lin have to do with that?? And the excess of PG and C's (but it's an excess only if you count Lin and Asik) is because you got some rooks, and a veteran in Camby, and I doubt Camby will be backup C even without Asik, I see Smith doing minutes once Howard is on the bench.

The only thing I can agree on is the money side of things you presented as your ninth reason. But ain't everything ran by money? hha

#22 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:55 AM

RBF, None of 1. through 8. as your reasons is solid evidence Lin or Asik is gone. I also like how your first six reasons only aim at Lin... Hmmmm. And there's nothing wrong with Lin having his own plans this summer and to coincidentally be separated from his new team. Your first reason sounds like a conspiracy theory. Your third reason is absurd, because what, Lin didn't tweet Howard 'Welcome to the Team!' 24 hrs Howard was a rocket? ..Fourth reason I'd like to ask you, was it really 'clear' Lin was being shopped? Fifth reason...Again, don't use tweets as evidence. Sixth reason goes back to his summer plans...and he's been training so don't worry about an improvement-with or without his team. Your seventh reason makes no tie between Lin and Asik! So Asik doesn't want to go to the Bobcats, he wants to go to a contender, but what does Lin have to do with that?? And the excess of PG and C's (but it's an excess only if you count Lin and Asik) is because you got some rooks, and a veteran in Camby, and I doubt Camby will be backup C even without Asik, I see Smith doing minutes once Howard is on the bench.

The only thing I can agree on is the money side of things you presented as your ninth reason. But ain't everything ran by money? hha

I think you are missing my point. any of these events by themselves have little meaning, but you start to string them together and a pattern starts to emerge. that's my point..........also I could have tossed more on Asik in.....Like his trade quest or McHale's statement of Asik being down in the dumps, but he would try to pick him up. the bottom line with these two players, you have one that wants out and the other seems to be in doubt of his status on the team. both are on contracts that it would benefit the Rockets to move. do I think the Rockets will trade them for scraps?.........NO. that's why they are still here. the Rockets will only trade them when they feel they have a trade that brings back value for them. I think the Rockets plan is to pursue a star caliber player, but there will be no fire sale.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#23 Freebird

Freebird

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:15 PM

I agree that the combination of events that have occurred over the summer make one believe that something will be happening sooner or later.  I think it would take a hell of a lot for a team to pry Asik away from us, at this point.  We would have to significantly upgrade our 2 weakest positions - PG and PF.  It seems like the real question should be 'what team has those kinds of resources of that caliber?'

Yes, Portland has LMA, but there is zero change of us getting a PG from them.  Atlanta has Horford, but not a PG we would want.  Lots of maybes.

One item I see is that Philly may be below the salary floor, or close to it.  Wonder if we could get MCW and Thaddeus for a package from Hinkie?

Maybe KLove and Barea/Rubio?  I also wouldn't mind a Lin/young'uns package for Marshall and Frye from PHO.  Watched Kendall at UNC - he's an assist machine.  Doubt they want/need another PG, though.

#24 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:25 PM

Biggest team weaknesses
1) starting PF
2) backup SG
3) starting PG
4) backup PF
5) backup PG

However I think we have enough to win a championship with a good coach.

Why so Serious? :D

#25 Freebird

Freebird

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

Absolutely agree.  I'm just trying to figure out what we're doing with all the extra resources Morey's been signing.  I know injuries are a part of the game, but signing 4 extra folks over the 15 seems excessive, and doesn't do right by the players if we just up and release them after they lose out in training camp.

#26 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:58 PM

We want a really competitive training camp. I'm confused by the Brooks signing. The guy is washed up. Once he left Houston he sputtered and failed. But maybe he can get back up to form.

Why so Serious? :D

#27 bboley24

bboley24

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:41 PM

Dawgin on my  Abrooks.  He will make you eat your words this year.  Speaking from emotions of course.  He is a Patrick Beverly with a three point shot and experience!

#28 Freebird

Freebird

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 236 posts
    • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:34 PM

That's a bit overstated.  AB is a good player, but I don't think he ever had, or will have, the defensive mindset PB has.  They're both quick and undersized - that's where the similarities end.

#29 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,124 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:39 PM

That's a bit overstated.  AB is a good player, but I don't think he ever had, or will have, the defensive mindset PB has.  They're both quick and undersized - that's where the similarities end.

I agree. AB is a better shooter, but is no where near the defensive player Bev is.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#30 Forrest Walker

Forrest Walker

• Members
    • Pip
    • 30 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:40 PM

Ahh, I probably should have been more specific. I'm aware that the vets can't move until December, but was thinking that with the new vets on the bench, some of the previous backups like Greg Smith, et. al. become a bit more movable, especially in a trade for someone like Thad Young. In some Lin/Asik scenario this still remains the case, and losing a Terrence Jones or a D-Mo might be what's needed to bring back that one big player, also bringing Houston to within the 15 man roster limit.

Also, of course, Les might just really be on the luxury train and doesn't care about paying a couple minimum salaries for guys who aren't playing. They won't be hitting the tax line either way.

#31 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPipPip
      • 702 posts
      • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:34 PM

One item I see is that Philly may be below the salary floor, or close to it.  Wonder if we could get MCW and Thaddeus for a package from Hinkie?

Maybe KLove and Barea/Rubio?  I also wouldn't mind a Lin/young'uns package for Marshall and Frye from PHO.  Watched Kendall at UNC - he's an assist machine.  Doubt they want/need another PG, though.

A combination of Lin, Turner and Asik will win too many games and right now they are the front runners in the Riggin' for Wiggins race. I think that trade would make them two steps back, since given their conference strength, they could easily win more games than the Suns and maybe the Kings, also considering Orlando is not quite there yet to win too many games.

#32 Freebird

Freebird

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 236 posts
      • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:17 PM

A combination of Lin, Turner and Asik will win too many games and right now they are the front runners in the Riggin' for Wiggins race. I think that trade would make them two steps back, since given their conference strength, they could easily win more games than the Suns and maybe the Kings, also considering Orlando is not quite there yet to win too many games.

Actually, I was thinking of just trading Lin and DMo/TJones and some extras.  We'd still have Asik here.  Lin/Asik for Young/MCW is WAY overpaying.  I think Lin/TJones and Smith would be about right.  Throw in a future swap of 2 round picks for the Morey Tax, and that's about right.  Especially after that sweetheart deal we gave them for Royce.  :D

#33 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,124 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:18 PM

I'm not to sure about that. I agree Philly is in the Riggin for Wiggins race, but the lost of T-Young would hurt to some degree. the kid MCW I'm really high on, he struggled in summer league and may struggle this whole first year in the league, but the kids upside is off the charts. most PG's in the league are between 6 feet and 6'3" this kid is 6'5" with outstanding reach and physical abilities. YES he should have stayed in college another year and I'm sure he will take his lumps in the league because of it.....YES he looks skinny now, but the talent is there. I bet you would have to give up something nice to get him away from Hinkie right now even though the kid is at least 2 years out on be coming a good player. Philly has time to wait on this kid to develop......we don't 

#34 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,124 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:21 PM

Actually, I was thinking of just trading Lin and DMo/TJones and some extras.  We'd still have Asik here.  Lin/Asik for Young/MCW is WAY overpaying.  I think Lin/TJones and Smith would be about right.  Throw in a future swap of 2 round picks for the Morey Tax, and that's about right.  Especially after that sweetheart deal we gave them for Royce.   :D

If you want to trade with Philly, best not  to bring up that Royce deal :lol:

#35 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,290 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:12 PM

I really think we could get young for a future first plus+ jones or Dmo or probably even smith. The only problem there is they have to reach the cap floor unless they don't mind spreading the excess money amongst their other players. I don't see why they'd want Lin, mcw is their guy for the moment even if he hasn't looked all that great yet. They might want asik in just a straight asik young swap where they throw in a little something, but asik isn't really young enough to fit in with their rebuild and by the deadline when a deal like that would be most likely it would really be a year and half rental which isn't all that appealing especially because they'd be in tank more that time, and even if they'd want to resign him they would end up with a large amount of cap to a guy that can't do a whole lot on offense and would be more valuable to a team that has stars that needs a defensive center.

#36 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
        • 2,303 posts
        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:45 PM

Now is the time to stay on topic. The actions the moderating team is taking will continue to ensure that a respectful and intelligent level of conversation continues. I appreciate those who took offense from the inappropriate comments have used the proper methods in reporting this. Red94 has never and never will tolerate comments that are directed at a certain race of people so as to demean said people. That is all for now that needs to be addressed here, please continue discussing the topic and stay on topic please so as to not further complicate matters.
        How sweet it is!

#37 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,636 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:49 PM

Dang you torched him with no mercy.

#38 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,636 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:52 PM

We want a really competitive training camp. I'm confused by the Brooks signing. The guy is washed up. Once he left Houston he sputtered and failed. But maybe he can get back up to form.

Don't you ever dis Brooks, he's untouchable.

#39 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPipPip
            • 702 posts
            • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:53 PM

I'm not to sure about that. I agree Philly is in the Riggin for Wiggins race, but the lost of T-Young would hurt to some degree. the kid MCW I'm really high on, he struggled in summer league and may struggle this whole first year in the league, but the kids upside is off the charts. most PG's in the league are between 6 feet and 6'3" this kid is 6'5" with outstanding reach and physical abilities. YES he should have stayed in college another year and I'm sure he will take his lumps in the league because of it.....YES he looks skinny now, but the talent is there. I bet you would have to give up something nice to get him away from Hinkie right now even though the kid is at least 2 years out on be coming a good player. Philly has time to wait on this kid to develop......we don't 

Exactly my point. Hinkie won't go for it because it's better to suck this year while developing a talented rookie handing him the keys so he can learn through struggle rather than bringing to player who will add some wins and both stagnates the tanking option while also keeping you away from the 2014 draft prize. Also, they will try to develop Noel at some point and Asik being there will stand on that way.

#40 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,636 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:54 PM

I agree. AB is a better shooter, but is no where near the defensive player Bev is.

Brooks is a far better scorer, but statistically Beverley isn't a fantastic defender, just a great energy guy. There's a difference. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users