Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (21 November 2015 - 02:31 AM) our team is just embarassing
@  cointurtlemoose : (19 November 2015 - 07:11 AM) That was the most Corey Brewer thing I have ever seen
@  majik19 : (19 November 2015 - 04:20 AM) how the hell did that happen? maybe just switching from McHale to JB will change our bad luck...
@  Willk : (19 November 2015 - 03:58 AM) in my face
@  bboley24 : (19 November 2015 - 03:55 AM) So that just happened
@  Cooper : (19 November 2015 - 03:53 AM) got the win
@  Willk : (19 November 2015 - 02:06 AM) fire McHale! playing like crap again
@  SadLakerFan : (18 November 2015 - 06:21 PM) It's unfair, but it's the right move because it's the only move major move they had available to them. But, it seems just a tad premature - I wonder what was really said in the player meeting.
@  majik19 : (18 November 2015 - 06:03 PM) So much for building off continuity now that the core is in place... It's probably about time for another "Morey's Plan" article from Rahat.
@  txtdo1411 : (18 November 2015 - 05:26 PM) No problem. He definitely made it clear that changes will continue to be made until we are winning again.
@  cointurtlemoose : (18 November 2015 - 05:19 PM) Thanks for the link, txtdo; good words from Morey, I thought
@  cointurtlemoose : (18 November 2015 - 05:14 PM) Wow, I expected this 6 or 7 games from now if things didn't change... This seems a tad early. And they better have a replacement actually in mind and ready to hire, otherwise this seems like a misguided move
@  txtdo1411 : (18 November 2015 - 05:13 PM) Its going on right now.
@  txtdo1411 : (18 November 2015 - 05:13 PM) http://api.viglink.c...9&title=Rockets Press Conference 11am - ClutchFans&txt=http://www.khou.com/videos/news/loca...7/29/12651418/
@  slick shoes : (18 November 2015 - 05:12 PM) Anyone know where to listen in to the DM press conference?
@  DenverRocket : (18 November 2015 - 04:50 PM) Shocked too, but then again not. Something had to give. I can't see JB being given the reins f/t. Surely they have a contingency? Thibs?
@  txtdo1411 : (18 November 2015 - 04:48 PM) I wonder if the plan is to find a replacement fairly quickly, or to give JB a shot. I'm trying to understand how things would change, since JB has been in the locker room all year. The players are going to give him effort now just because McHale is gone?
@  majik19 : (18 November 2015 - 04:22 PM) just shocked. I feel like this is now a lost season. We were struggling under McHale, but do we really think J.B. can lead us to a championship?
@  thenit : (18 November 2015 - 04:19 PM) Its becoming a winner or becoming Melo, great scorer but not coachable
@  Mario Peña : (18 November 2015 - 04:14 PM) I'm disappointed in the players too. Here is Harden's chance, win a championship or get relegated to being considered a guy that can't get on the same page with a coach.

Photo

Realistic PF targets, and why LMA isn't one of them.

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#61 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,162 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:48 PM

Houston obviously has strong first and second options. In addition to that, I think the Rockets have three players who would be considered strong fourth options on a championship contender in Parsons, Lin, and Asik off the bench. I'm of the mindset that their combined strength can make up for not having a clear third option, especially since there is so much bench depth behind them.

I think that not having a clear third option gives each of those trio of players more flexibility to try to fill that role, as well as allows for more touches for players like Terrence Jones and D-Mo. My belief is that if either of them make some improvements, the Rockets could afford to stand pat and just continue to develop the talent they already have.

I agree mostly. however if we get a chance to get LMA I would still do it, but you are right we have a strong enough team for some of the players we have to fill the role

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#62 Freebird

Freebird

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:43 PM

I'm not sure getting LMA is going to be worth it in the long run unless we get some tax breaks somewhere.  If we get him as a third option - awesome.  I tend to agree that Parsons will probably not fit the 3rd option role well.

Not to add fuel to the fire (but I'm gonna) - don't forget that Bosh posted those numbers in Toronto - when the East was worse than it is now.  So it's all relative.  What someone does in the past can be indicative, but isn't truly predictive of what they can become in another scenario.

#63 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:14 PM

LMA is older than Dwight and will deteriorate before him too. Getting aldrige would make our title window very small because we would have to trade our near future guys. That means we would probably have a title window of 2 years with LMA and then rebuild. I firmly believe that demo and jones can step in as the 5th option.

#64 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,597 posts
    • LocationAlabama

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:21 PM

LMA is older than Dwight and will deteriorate before him too. Getting aldrige would make our title window very small because we would have to trade our near future guys. That means we would probably have a title window of 2 years with LMA and then rebuild. I firmly believe that demo and jones can step in as the 5th option.

28 vs 27??? That is hardly a huge difference.

2nd LMA is fundamentally sound whereas Dwight is NOT. Once Dwight's athleticism goes he is done. I'm not advocating getting LMA, I just wanted to refute that part of your argument.

Why so Serious? :D

#65 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,636 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:30 PM

Still it makes our title window much smaller and LMA shoots long 2s, he can't even shoot 3s.

#66 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,297 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:55 AM

Still it makes our title window much smaller and LMA shoots long 2s, he can't even shoot 3s.

Aldrige will be an all star caliber player longer than Dwight. He doesn't take the hard fouls or anchor a defense/rebounding of his team as well as not rely on pure athleticism.

#67 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 2,597 posts
        • LocationAlabama

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:27 AM

Dwight won't last as long as Duncan/KG/Malone/etc... unless he becomes more skilled. I just don't see him lasting beyond 32 or 33 as a superstar if his health holds up.

#68 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,636 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:02 AM

Dwight is an athletic freak, and he has the body for more punishment than the average center, but after a few years with Mchale and Hakeem, I think he will be a much different player.

#69 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 2,597 posts
          • LocationAlabama

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:06 AM

I hope so. He's still raw after all this time. His FT percentage has gotten worse. I just haven't seen many signs for hope.

#70 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 2,597 posts
          • LocationAlabama

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:07 AM

But he's good enough as he is. I just don't expect him to become an all time great.

#71 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,636 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:21 AM

Howard showed great improvement when he worked with Hakeem, but then he stopped and regressed. Now he has full access to the Dream and Mchale. I think its a much better chance than a hope and a prayer. 

#72 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 477 posts
            • LocationHouston

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:50 AM

I'm expecting big things from Howard over the next 3 years. I just worry about his back, it sings of mcgrady stuff to me so i may be scarred here. Aldridge is older, but he's been more or less healthy, which is important for longevity. He does shoot long twos your right, and doesn't hit threes, which is why I like millsap better, but a 31 year old Aldridge I think can assume some of the PnR and Post duties from a 30 year old Howard if his back doesn't hold up, which is why I like him for this team. And at age 31 LMA is very likely to be an All-Star level player if he's playing with a defensive dynamo in Howard (I still think he can rebound and defend effectively, even without elite athleticism at age 30) and has James Harden as the #1 option. So I don't think it makes our window 2 years. LMA wouldn't affect the window so much as Howard's health will imo.

Now, if im wrong about Howard, and he stays fully healthy beyond 3 years, I don't think LMA is as good a fit. So, really i guess my number one trade target would be PHO training staff actually lol :D.

Edited by Losthief, 24 August 2013 - 04:53 AM.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#73 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,636 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:05 AM

An FYI Dwight doesn't work well with another big man in the post as you can learn from the lakers and Gasol so mishap would be worst than aldrige because he doesn't have aldriges midrange game. Then aldrige would still be very bad when he would be so costly to get and he can't hit a 3. That's why our BEST option are a couple guys called Jones and Demo and they're free. Remember they only need to be the 5th option.

#74 BrentYen

BrentYen

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 339 posts
              • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:37 AM

An FYI Dwight doesn't work well with another big man in the post as you can learn from the lakers and Gasol so mishap would be worst than aldrige because he doesn't have aldriges midrange game. Then aldrige would still be very bad when he would be so costly to get and he can't hit a 3. That's why our BEST option are a couple guys called Jones and Demo and they're free. Remember they only need to be the 5th option.

True, it just deos not make sense when your 4 and 5 have a combined maximal shooting range of 5 feet.

Is a big Jeremy Lin fan and was a big ROX fan. More importantly, a huge bball fan in general.

#75 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 477 posts
              • LocationHouston

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:19 AM

Dwight played just fine with Glen Davis and Brandon Bass, which have similar range to Aldridge, just sayin. Im not against keeping DMO/Jones, and what I propose is a buyer's market. I wouldn't give up any of our top 3 non-asik guys (harden, howard, parsons) or give too many blue chip young talents (so one of either dmo or jones, not both), and a likely late 1st round pick doesn't hurt us too much, even two of them.

So if LMA wanted to come here (this is a key) and all we had to give up was say, Asik, Tjones, Bev and 2014 1st rounder or if thats not enough maybe Asik (or lin, whichever they wanted, but i'd imagine asik), Tjones and 2014 and 2016 1st rounders, i'd be ok with that. Now if they want more than that, which is more than likely, supposedly there asking for Love, Griffen, Horford as key pieces in the deals they've looked at, then I'd say no. So LMA would basically have to force it here, which isn't happening till trade deadline at earliest and probably not till next season if at all for him to force out. I do like his fit i guess better than ya'll tho.

And if you think our best option is sitting pat and hoping for internal improvement at the 4 spot, well it is the offseason...so hope comes cheaply, But rookies/young players always are inconsistent, and inconsistentcy doesn't win championships. Now could 3 years from now DMO, Jones be that consistent PF player, sure...but are we sure Howard will be healthy/dominant still? are we sure he won't opt out and go somewhere else that year? are we sure there won't be a new juggernat to get past? Im against waiting and hoping for internal improvement as the #1 strategy, but thats just me i guess. Still wished we'd signed Millsap as well as Howard, how alanta got him so cheap is astounding. Millsap w/o giving up asik would of been dynomite.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#76 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPip
              • 1,636 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:34 AM

Dwight played just fine with Glen Davis and Brandon Bass, which have similar range to Aldridge, just sayin. Im not against keeping DMO/Jones, and what I propose is a buyer's market. I wouldn't give up any of our top 3 non-asik guys (harden, howard, parsons) or give too many blue chip young talents (so one of either dmo or jones, not both), and a likely late 1st round pick doesn't hurt us too much, even two of them.

So if LMA wanted to come here (this is a key) and all we had to give up was say, Asik, Tjones, Bev and 2014 1st rounder or if thats not enough maybe Asik (or lin, whichever they wanted, but i'd imagine asik), Tjones and 2014 and 2016 1st rounders, i'd be ok with that. Now if they want more than that, which is more than likely, supposedly there asking for Love, Griffen, Horford as key pieces in the deals they've looked at, then I'd say no. So LMA would basically have to force it here, which isn't happening till trade deadline at earliest and probably not till next season if at all for him to force out. I do like his fit i guess better than ya'll tho.

And if you think our best option is sitting pat and hoping for internal improvement at the 4 spot, well it is the offseason...so hope comes cheaply, But rookies/young players always are inconsistent, and inconsistentcy doesn't win championships. Now could 3 years from now DMO, Jones be that consistent PF player, sure...but are we sure Howard will be healthy/dominant still? are we sure he won't opt out and go somewhere else that year? are we sure there won't be a new juggernat to get past? Im against waiting and hoping for internal improvement as the #1 strategy, but thats just me i guess. Still wished we'd signed Millsap as well as Howard, how alanta got him so cheap is astounding. Millsap w/o giving up asik would of been dynomite.

Like I said Millsap and Howard would work when his PF is a major option. Also, something our young guys can do that aldrige and millsap can't is hit a THREE. Plus we wouldn't have been able to keep asik while getting millsap, and we would have to give up Lin and asik which need be an at least 3 team deal to get aldrige. Which we would still be without a starting quality PG.

#77 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPip
                • 1,297 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:18 PM

Milsap and Aldrige can shoot just as well or better than jones or Dmo have.

#78 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPip
                  • 1,636 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:22 PM

Like I said Millsap and Howard would work when his PF is a major option. Also, something our young guys can do that aldrige and millsap can't is hit a THREE. Plus we wouldn't have been able to keep asik while getting millsap, and we would have to give up Lin and asik which need be an at least 3 team deal to get aldrige. Which we would still be without a starting quality PG.

Correction, wouldn't work.

#79 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPip
                    • 1,636 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:23 PM

Milsap and Aldrige can shoot just as well or better than jones or Dmo have.

Not where it matters.

#80 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                      • 2,597 posts
                      • LocationAlabama

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:34 PM

Can you tell me Jones and DMo's 3 point percentage last year in the NBA?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users