Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Jeremy Lin's stats given the Opportunity

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#21 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,125 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:10 AM

I think Lin has to be that engine that George Karl stated he was when he played Denver, then Harden can CLOSE in the 4th. He doesn't have to be the best player, but he needs to stay involved. Can he play at a slow pace? Well Lin never played PG in college, look at him now. With D12 yes I believe they can because they are not 1 dimensional. Can play in to out, out to in.

Last yr. Lin didn't feel healthy till Jan. and the #s just got better and better.

Welcome to  the forum :rolleyes: I agree with some of your assessment that Lin is not being used in away that is most beneficial for his game. however his style of play would minimize some of the other aspects of our team. I'm more in line with this line of thought..........Lin is a bad fit for what this team needs from a PG. he will never be the dominant ball handler because we have a player in Harden who is better than him at doing the same job.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#22 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:36 AM

I am reposting this because it looks like the thread it appeared on is dead. Please excuse me if I am wrong.

I have a different take on the Lin subject. Guards are called point
    guards when they have control of both the ball and the offense. When
    Harden was aquired Lin's contributions had to change because you never
    take the ball out of the hands of an elite guard like Harden. Playing
    next to Harden is going to deflate any point guard not named Chris Paul.
    Maybe even Chris Paul.

However, Harden is not a point guard. Neither is Kobe nor Wade. The
    Lakers and the Heat have traditionally skimped in the point guard area,
    populating their backcourt with sub-par players. The Heat are fine
    because of LBJ and the Lakers are now fine as long as Nash remains
    healthy. The Rockets are fine because they heve two potentially above
    average point guards on the roster.

But back to Lin. He suddenly needed to remake his game after the
    acquisition of Harden. Not an easy thing to do. However he handled the
    situation like a pro and went out and worked on becoming a different
    basketball player. Lin did not need to be taller, quicker or more
    intelligent. Those things cannot be changed. He needed to improve
    certain basketball skills which is certainly achievable. And he did show
    excellent progress during last season. He is a smart and hardworking
    pro and there is absolutely no reason to believe that he will not
    continue to progress. After the all star break he performed as an above
    average point guard.

And if the Rockets did trade Lin would you be comfortable with a
    depth chart of Bev, Brooks and Canaan? I certainly would not. And if you
    were to look for a point guard what would you look for? I would look
    for someone just like Lin with a better 3 point shot and fewer
    turnovers. A slightly improved Lin. As for critisism of Lin's penatration, a driving guard is such a threat
    because it incredibly stresses the opponents interior defense. One of
    reason for the interior defensive stress is because many point guards
    have a big man with good hands that also can take a soft ally-oop pass
    and stuff it. I may love Asik as a player, but no one would attribute
    those skills to him. Howard however is the best in the league in those
    areas. Much better than Chandler who worked well with Lin in New York.
    Next season I do not see Lin having a problem during penetration of the
    defense.

I do take umbrage at the insinuations that McHale is somehow "using"
    Lin wrong. McHale is the polar opposite of dictatorial head coaches like
    D'Antonio and JVG. He is known for working with both players and staff.
    Last season McHale had probably the best assistant coaches in the
    league. He also had in the background a 900 pound gorilla named Morey.
    To even suggest that McHale misused Lin is ludicrous because you can be
    sure that both his staff and Morey were also on board. And that amount
    of basketball IQ is rarely wrong when they have a starters season to
    work with.

And finally to perhaps the worst critisism of them all. Lin's playoff
    performance. As a mathematician I can assure you that the sample size
    is to small to even draw a faint notion from it. Much less a conclusion.

#23 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 506 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:45 AM

I don't like this argument much, because it can be applied to pretty much everyone when you cherry pick in this fashion and make pretty much anyone this side of Austin River look decent. 

It is not hard to make a very rational argument that Lin's play was just fine, especially if you break into monthly splits and account for the fact that he was coming off knee surgery.

Essentially, this was Lin's per 36 for the whole season and his ORTG

14.9 pts/ 6.8 ast    .441/.339/.785   .105 ORTG

This is what those same lines look like if you start from December 1st on

.15.9 / 6.8  455/.355/.782   108

And this is what it looked like after March 1st  (about 23 games.)

17.9/ 6.7  .461/381/789  110

108-110 ORTG is essentially the realm of Kyle Lowry / Damian Lillard / Kyrie Irving.  granted,  I think Irving is a bad comp due to the massive disparity in usage rates (though Lin in the final 23 game has a fairly normal PG usage rating, around 23% . instead of his 20% overall.) but then RAPM and most evidence suggest he's pretty decent defensively for a PG. IIRC a quick glance at the PG defense RAPM had him around 12 overall, and probably was better after the first month or so as well.

To me, this breakdown simply suggest something far more mundane, it suggest that this was simply the case of a guy in a really bad situation early in the season recovering from injury and having his role thrown out the window, so he got off to a terrible start, but gradually figured out his niche in this system and simply got healthier, and by the end of season was actually quite good.. he managed to improve on almost everything WHILE increasing usage, which is pretty convincing. 

The Fact is, this is Jeremy Lin in the last quarter of the season.

.571 TS%

32.1 AST%

17.3 TOV%

23.2 USG%

This is a certain other PG's season last year

.574 TS%

.37.5 AST%

14.5 TOV%

24.4 USG%

this guy is better obviously, especially in the assist to turnover part.  as he manage a about 1 more assist and .5 less turnover than Lin. per 36 . but the overall profile has considerable similarity.

Who is he? Deron Williams.

This is not to say that Lin can be Deron Williams, but it does point out that there are a lot of folks who are completely blinded by a couple playoff games , or .. simply blinded entirely.

#24 Knickabokkaz

Knickabokkaz

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 182 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:58 AM

Welcome to the forum :rolleyes: I agree with some of your assessment that Lin is not being used in away that is most beneficial for his game. however his style of play would minimize some of the other aspects of our team. I'm more in line with this line of thought..........Lin is a bad fit for what this team needs from a PG. he will never be the dominant ball handler because we have a player in Harden who is better than him at doing the same job.

You say Lins a bad "fit".. So what's a good fit? A spot up 3 pt. shooter? Didn't Lin shoot almost 40% post allstar? What is a good fit?

Here is my argument with this. just because you have a dominant ball handler that can score, dont forget...tendencies start to kick in. Teams learn it and exploit it. Why is it that Harden hit a wall in the last month and a 1/2 in the season and in the playoffs? Why did he shoot less then 40% in that time? Why did he average nearly 5 turnovers a game? It's because teams caught up to his tendency when your trying to do it all by yourself not to mention you tire yourself out. Look at Kobe, as great as he was last season, he needed help. You don't become the second highest scoring team throughout the season and just think its because of 1 person. That's where Lins importance comes in. You have options, you have a PG that even though Harden is BETTER at doing what Lin does, it still doesn't mean that Lin is useless. He's actually a huge positive. After all didn't Morey say Lin was the 5th best PnR PG in the league? It's always better to have other options.

This goes back to the first post with the stats when I mentioned Carmelo Anthony. Dribble dribble, pass the last second and rely on someone else to take a bad shot while everyone is standing around watching. How many times did you hear McHale on games like this? "The ball got sticky" wonder why? It's why I say when you have someone as talented as Harden, DONT BUILD YOUR SYSTEM AROUND HIM. You have to build around everyone else, to make THEM BETTER. Im not saying DON'T let Harden do what he does, just have a variety of sharing the ball with possessions like Rahat said, have Lin earn his $ too. Harden can get his own points WITHOUT the system running through him. What Lin provides is unselfishness, and the ability to create for himself and his teammates. A very good passer that finds teammates in their spots and in the open court, always hitting that outlet pass. easy penetration and kick and has great court vision. like I said, Harden can do it too, but imagine if your an opposing team trying to guard 2 guys that can break down a defense, would give them FITS! It takes the burden off Harden having to do everything and burning out before the 4th qtr. and burning out at the end of the season. When your a SUPERSTAR, you have to know, you dont have to take EVERY SHOT, you have to take the IMPORTANT SHOTS, such as closing out in the 4th. Not to mention, it lets Lin grow because if there's anything NO ONE can argue, is that he has a huge upside and his dedication and work ethic will allow him to get there.

If I'm a SUPERSTAR SG, and I know I can get mine, You'd love the fact that you can rely on your PG to take over if I feel like I'm having a bad game or I feel spent by doing everything. That way no one skips a beat.

Edited by Knickabokkaz, 07 August 2013 - 03:01 AM.

#25 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,133 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:20 AM

Excellent points being made.  I'd like to re-visit a quote from McHale (roughly early to mid-season iirc) about Lin.  People take this quote and use it both positively and negatively.  I see it as a positive and as light-hearted.  It was a response in reference to Lin's progress so far last season:

“Sometimes he’d rather have 29 points and nine turnovers and I tell him, ‘Jeremy, we’re trying to win'..."

When we discuss the hesitation Jeremy showed.  The short leash.  The new role.  All of that stuff...I remember this quote.  It makes a few things clear to me.  One: Lin can fill it up offensively--even McHale acknowledges that.  Two: his turnovers are a problem (albeit correctable).  Three: (the most important one) that McHale is working hard with Lin to become a player that understands what the moment requires--what each play demands from him to maximize himself, his team mates, and the Rockets' success.  This is the kind of learning curve that will take some time, but if successful, will pay off big.

I think by the end of this season, we will see a Jeremy Lin that is comfortable in his role and executes it in a much more efficient manner as he no longer has that mental pause--he can simply react.

I also agree that Lin's usage% should be a little higher to allow Harden to rest as well as to keep him involved and engaged in the game.  In short, I am super excited for next season!  I think Lin will impress and the Rockets will hit the ground running on their way to a fantastic season.

#26 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
        • 2,308 posts
        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:53 AM

I like the way you framed all of that johnnygold though we may disagree. I actually think you may be correct in foretelling what could occur I just believe that Morey will eventually find a point guard that fits that scenario for a little less money. Morey will find an efficient ball handing point guard that commands less pay thus freeing up enough money for another top tier role player in my opinion.

By the way welcome Knickabokkaz (not sure if you are a Knicks fan?) and despite disagreeing with where you are going with it I must admit you constructed a very good argument and topic.

How sweet it is!

#27 BrentYen

BrentYen

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 339 posts
        • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:58 AM

Hi,all. This is my 1st post here. I am a LOF. I am wondering, what Lin has to do to be sucessful in Houston? Because from the posts b4 mine, people EITHER think he does not have the telent to even get a green light OR he has telent but he needed the opportunity to show it. In both cases, it is out of control by Lin. So I assume he is basically been set up for failure.

Is a big Jeremy Lin fan and was a big ROX fan. More importantly, a huge bball fan in general.

#28 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 4,125 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:04 AM

@Knickabokkaz

I'll tell you what a good fit is.....a PG who can hit a spot up 3, run the offense when Harden isn't controlling the ball, be able to be an effective player even when he does not have the ball, play defense...........all of the things Lin isn't........we need a young derrick fisher. trust me there is no argument you can make for Lin I haven't heard. I respect your opinion, but I just don't agree with it. quote all the stats, make all the points you want and I will still believe he is a marginal player until he proves me wrong. Lin is no star. he's not garbage either. the things he is good at don't fit what is needed for this team. he makes to much money against the cap for what he brings to the table. that's my view of him. Lin is a player we on this forum have had much discussion on. I think you will find most here already locked into their opinions on him including me :lol: some favor you view....some do not. however the one thing we can all agree on is he is one of the most polarizing players in the game today

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#29 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 4,125 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:05 AM

Hi,all. This is my 1st post here. I am a LOF. I am wondering, what Lin has to do to be sucessful in Houston? Because from the posts b4 mine, people EITHER think he does not have the telent to even get a green light OR he has telent but he needed the opportunity to show it. In both cases, it is out of control by Lin. So I assume he is basically been set up for failure.

welcome to the forum :rolleyes:

#30 BrentYen

BrentYen

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 339 posts
        • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:20 AM

welcome to the forum :rolleyes:

Is a big Jeremy Lin fan and was a big ROX fan. More importantly, a huge bball fan in general.

#31 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,290 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:50 AM

An ideal fit at pg for Houston would be a chalmers type.

#32 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPipPip
          • 506 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:22 AM

An ideal fit at pg for Houston would be a chalmers type.

Lets debate this logic here, if we ignore money for a moment, would the Rockets be better last year with Chalmers and would the Heat be worse with Lin ? (and one should note, Chalmers isn't exactly making peanuts either.)

I would remind folks to take a look at Mario Chalmers assist to turnover ratio. and remember that everyone scores a lot easier with Lebron.

Edited by RollingWave, 07 August 2013 - 09:23 AM.

#33 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 437 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:48 AM

Mario Chalmers doesn't start on any other play-off team last year. Maybe the Bulls because Rose was hurt or OKC because of the Westbrook injury. But that's it.

#34 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 437 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:51 AM

Taking it a step further, I don't know if he starts on any other team in the NBA next year.  Sorry for the multiple posts.

#35 Richards

Richards

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 393 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:58 AM

@Knickabokkaz

In this thread, you made the strongest argument for Lin so far. Like what you said, we should use the players the best we could instead of day dreaming and hoping God will create a best fit PG next to Harden. Yeah, I wish we had Lebron/Durant at SF instead of Parsons, Love/LMA at PF blah blah blah. Or use a time machine and get Jordan, The Dream, and etc. One thing I don't understand about people calling to replace Lin can't name a best-fit-PG-next-to-Harden. Like JG pointed out before, they thought Lin suck but want to do a straight trade with star-level-PG.

#36 Knickabokkaz

Knickabokkaz

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 182 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:07 PM

@Knickabokkaz
                    I'll tell you what a good fit is.....a PG who can hit a spot up 3, run the offense when Harden isn't controlling the ball, be able to be an effective player even when he does not have the ball, play defense...........all of the things Lin isn't........

See this is where I don't argue no more, I just gave statistical evidence that shows Lin fits this criteria to a tee. Look at the very first post on this topic with the chart. 1. He can hit the 3, very efficiently I might add because the last 3 months he was shooting it at a 40% clip (you just seem to factor in the whole yr. instead of noticing signs of progression) 2. He runs the team BETTER with Harden off the court (3 games Harden didnt even play Lin avg. 21/7 and ran the TEAM well. Look at Lins stats when harden is off the floor. 3 play defense? I guess we do need a solid back court defender because Harden doesn't play a lick of it.... EVERY single argument you've had against Lin, I can give STATISTICAL and LOGICAL THEORIES of why you need Lin.

"You don't need Lin because of HARDEN!" Really? Ok let me ask anyone with basketball knowledge. As far as coaching experience or basketball sense.. IF YOU HAVE TO GUARD 2 GUYS WITH NEARLY THE SAME GREAT QUALITIES AT THE SAMEEEE TIME, RUNNING PNR WITH THE BEST PNR BIG MAN IN THE LEAGUE (d12), how much pressure does that put on your defense instead of just one?

This is NOT FOOTBALL, where you CAN say, maybe we don't need 2 GREAT QBs. Cause they don't play TOGETHER. With Harden and Lin, they play TOGETHER, form more mismatches, 1 can take off when the other isn't feeling it, one can rest when he's tired but the other can fill in when needed so the team doesn't skip a beat. BOTH can run the TEAM.

I'm tired of hearing , "oh I agree with your post but I just don't believe it because it's about Jeremy Lin and unjust don't believe in him" blah blah blah

SOMEONE give me STATISTICAL/LOGICAL theories of WHY he isn't a good fit, I don't wanna hear OPINIONS that are NOT BAKED UP WITH QUALITY REASONING.

(Lol see Rahat, this is why I don't go on Forums! But I do agree there are some very logical and fair fans on this forum. ALOT)

Sorry can you delete my post at 7:36am

Edited by Knickabokkaz, 07 August 2013 - 12:09 PM.

#37 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • 3,216 posts
                    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:20 PM

Don't bother talking to RBF about Lin, it makes you look bad. 

#38 Knickabokkaz

Knickabokkaz

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 182 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:31 PM

@Knickabokkaz
                      In this thread, you made the strongest argument for Lin so far. Like what you said, we should use the players the best we could instead of day dreaming and hoping God will create a best fit PG next to Harden. Yeah, I wish we had Lebron/Durant at SF instead of Parsons, Love/LMA at PF blah blah blah. Or use a time machine and get Jordan, The Dream, and etc. One thing I don't understand about people calling to replace Lin can't name a best-fit-PG-next-to-Harden. Like JG pointed out before, they thought Lin suck but want to do a straight trade with star-level-PG.

Exactly, name 1 pg that fits the Rockets system who is available. And I don't want just an opinion, backup your statement with facts and statistical evidence. Tired of just hearing opinions that can't be backed up, those fans are the ones you ignore till they can backup their statement

#39 Knickabokkaz

Knickabokkaz

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 182 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:32 PM

Don't bother talking to RBF about Lin, it makes you look bad.

are you saying he's one I should ignore?

#40 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
                        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                        • 3,216 posts
                        • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:45 PM

are you saying he's one I should ignore?

No, I'm not saying that. Let me put it another way.

There are certain types of people who hate certain players, and trying to have a reasonable conversation with that person about that player is a lose-lose situation as you can see here: http://www.red94.net...age-1?hl=jeremy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users