Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Jeremy Lin's stats given the Opportunity

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 Knickabokkaz

Knickabokkaz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:23 PM

POPULAR

There are some players in the NBA that need to feel a certain sense of involvement. For example, if a big man runs the floor and plays hard on D, we reward him by getting him the ball in an opportunity to score say on a fast break, a couple of post ups, alley-oops etc. 

There are point guard like Jeremy Lin who need that sense of "involvement" and "opportunity". Something that wasn't given to him by McHale. 2 years ago there was a scouting report said by I think his college coach. "Jeremy tends to take himself out the game sometimes". Why is that? Well when you feel your of use to a team, you know that direction as to what you need to do and a direction on what you need to do to succeed.  Jeremy didn't have that for MOST of last year and looked lost for atleast 1/2 the season.

There are players in the league that are given more opportunity then others of course.  Me and Rahat have expressed "opportunity" for Jeremy Lin and how the only way he can prove to be worth $8 million is to give him that opportunity. Jeremy seems to play BETTER when he feels like he has to do MORE, otherwise he kind of looks lost and takes himself out of the game.

Here are some stats to prove my theory. In ONLY 18 games where he's had more then 14 or more SHOT attempts (meaning asked to do MORE then a traditional PG, feeling involved, having an opportunity). The stats don't lie…

pb5j.png

Average Results in 18 games with 14 shot attempts or MORE:

1. 21 PPG

2. 7 Assists

3. 48.8% FG% 

Unlike MOST players, anyone who usually shoots MORE would have a LOWER FG%. In Jeremy's case, his FG% is actually HIGHER. 

#2 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,133 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:31 PM

Nice post.  While it is a small sample, the evidence is compelling.  I'd also like to note that he did not do this solely against the bottom-feeders of the league.  There are a lot of quality teams there...Yes, I see Orlando, Phoenix, and Minnesota....I also see OKC, SAS, GSW, BKN, DEN, and ATL.

I tried to avert my eyes from his turnovers, but they are a glaring problem.  We all know Houston as a team had a TO problem.  I think we all expect to see improvement across the board this season.  In fairness, he also posted some amazing ast/to games in there as well.

I also like that in only 3 games did he shoot more than 6 free throws.  In one regard, it's not good because he isn't getting to the line very often--which is generally a good thing.  On the other hand, I love that he is able to produce without leaning on the referees.  Sometimes, especially with superstars, I think the refs should be credited with assists on some of the foul calls.  I bet Morey has stats on that ;)

#3 Richards

Richards

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 393 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:39 PM

A lot of his turnovers contributed to Asik's inability to catch the down low or communication problem.

At the same time, we can say why he was passing the ball down low if he knew Asik can't catch it. (hee hee I have to write this second line before non-believers say something like this)  :)

#4 Knickabokkaz

Knickabokkaz

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 182 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:49 PM

People might not see it but Lins biggest problem is not his shooting, not his dribbling, it's his confidence. The coaches #1-3 priority if you want him to succeed is to build that up. That's why Lin says McFail all the time. As mention by Rahat before

Edited by Knickabokkaz, 06 August 2013 - 08:49 PM.

#5 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,290 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:53 PM

Lin should feel more involved or active when he's getting more shots, who wouldn't. I'd certainly rather have harden or Dwight getting 14+shots per game more than Lin maybe Lin can get closer to that number being more aggressive when harden or Dwight is off the floor though, as parsons is probably the only other guy that should be getting double digit shot attempts.

#6 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 2,597 posts
          • LocationAlabama

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:01 PM

I think Lin will have improved his 3 point shot enough that he will get tons of wide open 3s as teams double on James or Dwight. I hope he shoots them without hesitation. THAT'S what killed him last year. Hesitation is anathema to upper tier PGs.

Why so Serious? :D

#7 Knickabokkaz

Knickabokkaz

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 182 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:11 PM

Here's the over looking FACT here.. look at Lin's FG%. Its at 48.8% for the season when he shoots 14+ shots a game. And that's not excluding any bad games, all those games that you see in that Stats list are ALL the games 14+shots.

My point is.. you see guys like Tony Parker, Westbrook, DRose, all these athletic "scoring" pg's. They all have the green light. What amuses me is that McHale doesnt give Jeremy the green light like these other guys. Yet fans expect to see those types of number those 3 guys put up.

#8 Knickabokkaz

Knickabokkaz

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 182 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:14 PM

I think Lin will have improved his 3 point shot enough that he will get tons of wide open 3s as teams double on James or Dwight. I hope he shoots them without hesitation. THAT'S what killed him last year. Hesitation is anathema to upper tier PGs.

That leads to confidence and unselfishness... he's going to learn he has to take those shots but he's also worried and he's mentioned this.  He does not want to be seen as a ball hog, he's mentioned that in an interview I heard a couple of months back. He has to just be selfish sometimes.

#9 Knickabokkaz

Knickabokkaz

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 182 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:42 PM

@JG the TOs are also a result in style of play, they play fast but yes he does need to be a little more self conscious. Someone needs to tell Harden that as well. On a positive, given the minimal usage rate he's had (20%) 6.1 assists for the season is actually pretty good considering he aint even the primary ball handler.

#10 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                • 4,133 posts
                • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:48 PM

I should have been more specific--it's the assist to turnover ratio that gets me.  One night he has 11 assists and 1 turnover.  Another it is 4 and 4.  Another is 9 and 6.  Unfortunately, there are more of the bad ones than the good ones.  I understand pace adds possessions, but the overall ratio should balance out.  I'd like to see him stay at a steady +2.5 or better.

#11 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPip
                • 1,290 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:51 PM

Here's the over looking FACT here.. look at Lin's FG%. Its at 48.8% for the season when he shoots 14+ shots a game. And that's not excluding any bad games, all those games that you see in that Stats list are ALL the games 14+shots.

My point is.. you see guys like Tony Parker, Westbrook, DRose, all these athletic "scoring" pg's. They all have the green light. What amuses me is that McHale doesnt give Jeremy the green light like these other guys. Yet fans expect to see those types of number those 3 guys put up.

I wouldn't compare Lin to Parker rose and Westbrook

#12 Knickabokkaz

Knickabokkaz

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 182 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:58 PM

@JG the TOs are also a result in style of play, they play fast but yes he does need to be a little more self conscious. Someone needs to tell Harden that as well. On a positive, given the minimal usage rate he's had (20%) 6.1 assists for the season is actually pretty good considering he aint even the primary ball handler.

#13 Knickabokkaz

Knickabokkaz

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 182 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:00 PM

I wouldn't compare Lin to Parker rose and Westbrook

I'm not comparing Lin to those players, I'm using them as example of what Lin doesn't get as far as a green light like THOSE players, so how could fans expect those results is what I'm saying

#14 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                      • 2,308 posts
                      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:04 PM

I agree with Cooper and to be a little more realistic I would frame it as Lin is nowhere near the level of Parker, Rose and Westbrook and never will be.
                      How sweet it is!

#15 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                      • 2,308 posts
                      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:07 PM

It is sort of common sense that since Lin is not a top tier player then he doesn't get the "green light" you speak of. If I were you I would rephrase your argument there.
                      How sweet it is!

#16 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                      • 4,125 posts
                      • Locationhouston

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:07 PM

I agree with Cooper and to be a little more realistic I would frame it as Lin is nowhere near the level of Parker, Rose and Westbrook and never will be.

you know I agree, but was letting the Lin fans have a day of peace :lol:

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#17 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPip
                      • 1,290 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:14 PM

I'm not comparing Lin to those players, I'm using them as example of what Lin doesn't get as far as a green light like THOSE players, so how could fans expect those results is what I'm saying

I guess I misunderstood your point, to be clear I meant he should not have that green of a light and it is unreasonable to expect prouduction similar to those guys as lin's role and talent level is completely different.

#18 Knickabokkaz

Knickabokkaz

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 182 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:52 PM

Ok back to the topic?

#19 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                          • 1,547 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:38 PM

Nice job.  I've made this argument before - that Lin is a creature of adrenaline.  He thrives off of emotion (ie: a correlary of opportunity.)  That's why he was so clutch in New York at the end of games.  And of course, the opposite runs true in that he's going to struggle without that.

Unfortunately, a team with Lin as its best player isn't going to win anything (not sure if anyone is disputing this point?)  He not only needs to learn how to play slow like the best point guards but also needs to learn how to play when he isn't the be-all end-all.  That shooting percentage at the end of last year was a good start towards that.  

#20 Knickabokkaz

Knickabokkaz

• Members
                            • PipPipPip
                            • 182 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:52 PM

I think Lin has to be that engine that George Karl stated he was when he played Denver, then Harden can CLOSE in the 4th. He doesn't have to be the best player, but he needs to stay involved. Can he play at a slow pace? Well Lin never played PG in college, look at him now. With D12 yes I believe they can because they are not 1 dimensional. Can play in to out, out to in.

Last yr. Lin didn't feel healthy till Jan. and the #s just got better and better.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users