Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

How does the western conference stack up next year?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#41 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:01 PM

You may be right about NO. I just like the young rebuilding teams, so I would like to see them there. About the Rockets do we already know what system we are going to use? Are we going to slow the game down a little bit now thta we have Dwight? Is Dwight going to be satisfied primarily being a PnR player? Will one of our young PFs finally step up? How will Lin be handled?

I think the ceiling for the Rockets is extremely high, but we also have a lot of questions (granted so does every team). I just believe it will take some time for not only the players to figure it out, but the coaching staff as well.

The rockets system is based off of the 2009 Orlando magic but far better.

#42 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,597 posts
    • LocationAlabama

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:03 PM

The rockets system is based off of the 2009 Orlando magic but far better.

Far better? 

I don't know how we can judge that until we see them play. 

Also, Van Gundy >>>>>>> Mchale as a coach.

Why so Serious? :D

#43 txtdo1411

txtdo1411

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 197 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:09 PM

I hope you are right Buckko. I would love to see us destroy teams right off the bat. I just think it will take a little while to get it all figured out. That being said, we will go into the playoffs as one of the hottest teams in the league.

#44 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,008 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:11 PM

Far better?

Canaan > Alston
      Harden > Lee
      Parsons = Hido
      Jones < Lewis
      Asik > Gortat
      Beverly > whoever the backup PG was (Nelson was hurt)

The team itself is better around Howard.

#45 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,636 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:15 PM

Canaan > Alston
        Harden > Lee
        Parsons = Hido
        Jones < Lewis
        Asik > Gortat

You scare me with your obsessive relationship with the rookie. He won't even be on the bench.

Also our PFs are no longer rookies, so we don't know what to expect from them this time around.

Edited by Buckko, 09 August 2013 - 07:17 PM.

#46 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,636 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:16 PM

Far better? 

Debatable.

#47 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 2,597 posts
          • LocationAlabama

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:16 PM

Canaan > Alston
          Harden > Lee
          Parsons = Hido
          Jones < Lewis
          Asik > Gortat

First off, I was talking about the system not the players. Stop changing the conversation. It gets irritating.

#48 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 2,008 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:23 PM

Players = system. It doesn't matter how good of a system is if you don't have PLAYERS. And certain players can play in any system.

#49 bboley24

bboley24

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 393 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:41 PM

Wow... If we keep Asik... we are number 1.

#50 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPip
              • 1,636 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:20 PM

Wow... If we keep Asik... we are number 1.

We need to keep Asik. We do not need another PF when we have 3 PFs and 2 SFs who can play PF.

#51 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 3,216 posts
                • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:36 PM

I can see why it's a really nice luxury to  keep Asik. 

Still, Omer Asik left Chicago because he was offered a starting role and more money, and that's a good chance he might leave Houston for the same reasons when his contract ends in 2015. Imo it would be a smart move to keep Asik for one more season, then trade him during the 2014 off-season if the Rockets can get great value in return. If the Rockets can't get great value for Asik, which I highly doubt, then I wouldn't be opposed to keeping Asik until 2015 in hope we can either re-sign him (unlikely) or at least get a sign and trade. 

Edited by 2016Champions, 09 August 2013 - 09:37 PM.

#52 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 2,597 posts
                • LocationAlabama

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:52 PM

Well, if we end up keeping Asik for the entire 2013-2014 season, we'll have to re-evaluate. If we win the ring and Asik plays a big role, he stays. If we lose out because of poor PG/PF play, we'll go after somebody else. I just don't know if we keep Asik the entire season. I know Asik has a good value right now, but it sucks for us that his contract is SO short. Rebuilding teams don't want him because they are realistically more than 1.5 years from contention. So all that does is make them too good to get the top tier prospects and just ends up prolonging their rebuilding process. It's not like Asik will be a RFA and that team can match(a la Bledsoe). 

The only two type of teams that will want Asik will be 1) teams that are close to the playoffs that want to make a push(Portland, Mavs, Wizards, etc....) and 2) contenders(Miami, Knicks, Spurs, etc...). We're not very likely to trade Asik to a contender. That limits our choice of trade options immensely. They really should have traded Asik before the season started if they were going to trade him at all.

#53 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 3,216 posts
                • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:21 PM

It really does suck that his contract is so short. I read that it's possible to sign players to 4 year contracts with the poison pill, so I'm surprised they were only signed to 3 year deals. Either they have good agents, or there's another reason I'm not seeing... Morey made a mistake?

On another note, Morey has managed to sign several 2nd rounders to 4 year contracts as pointed out in this awesome article by Zach Lowe (Parsons, Budinger, Joey Dorsey, Jermaine Taylor), although 4 year contracts for 2nd rounders is actually pretty common because Morey isn't the only smart GM out there obviously. Chicago's front office really screwed up by signing Asik to only a 2 year deal. 

#54 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 2,597 posts
                • LocationAlabama

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:25 PM

It really does suck that his contract is so short. I read that it's possible to sign players to 4 year contracts with the poison pill, so I'm surprised they were only signed to 3 year deals. Either they have good agents, or there's another reason I'm not seeing... Morey made a mistake?

On another note, Morey has managed to sign several 2nd rounders to 4 year contracts as pointed out in this awesome article by Zach Lowe (Parsons, Budinger, Joey Dorsey, Jermaine Taylor), although 4 year contracts for 2nd rounders is actually pretty common because Morey isn't the only smart GM out there obviously. Chicago's front office really screwed up by signing Asik to only a 2 year deal. 

Yeah, I know. Good points.

I have a question 2016. When does Asik's negotiation period start? I know there are certain times that negotiation can go on about extensions. Is it possible to extend him and trade him or is that only for sign and trades? Of course, we can extend him, wait the required time period, and then trade him then.

#55 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPip
                • 1,290 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:28 PM

It really does suck that his contract is so short. I read that it's possible to sign players to 4 year contracts with the poison pill, so I'm surprised they were only signed to 3 year deals. Either they have good agents, or there's another reason I'm not seeing... Morey made a mistake?

On another note, Morey has managed to sign several 2nd rounders to 4 year contracts as pointed out in this awesome article by Zach Lowe (Parsons, Budinger, Joey Dorsey, Jermaine Taylor), although 4 year contracts for 2nd rounders is actually pretty common because Morey isn't the only smart GM out there obviously. Chicago's front office really screwed up by signing Asik to only a 2 year deal.

Signing somewhat risky guys like asik and Lin were to long term deals is where bad contracts are made. 2nd rounders are essentially no risk since its inconsequential amounts of money

Edited by Cooper, 09 August 2013 - 10:31 PM.

#56 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 2,597 posts
                  • LocationAlabama

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:32 PM

Asik is VERY close to commanding a max deal when his contract expires. He's already a top 3 center defensively. He also improved(albeit, marginally) at catching the ball. He needs to improve his free throw shot, catching, and incorporate a few post moves such as a hook and other moves. 

#57 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPip
                  • 1,290 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:35 PM

Asik is VERY close to commanding a max deal when his contract expires. He's already a top 3 center defensively. He also improved(albeit, marginally) at catching the ball. He needs to improve his free throw shot, catching, and incorporate a few post moves such as a hook and other moves.

Somewhere close to what hibbert got last year I would assume.

#58 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPip
                    • 671 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:43 PM

As wont get near max money. Probably around 10 to 12.

#59 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                      • 2,597 posts
                      • LocationAlabama

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:52 PM

Tyson Chandler got 14. I think right now, with ZERO improvement he's worth 10-12. But if he improves just a little bit, that number goes up.

#60 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPip
                      • 1,636 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:26 PM

I can see why it's a really nice luxury to  keep Asik. 

Still, Omer Asik left Chicago because he was offered a starting role and more money, and that's a good chance he might leave Houston for the same reasons when his contract ends in 2015. Imo it would be a smart move to keep Asik for one more season, then trade him during the 2014 off-season if the Rockets can get great value in return. If the Rockets can't get great value for Asik, which I highly doubt, then I wouldn't be opposed to keeping Asik until 2015 in hope we can either re-sign him (unlikely) or at least get a sign and trade. 

If we are winning, I guarantee he will stay because

1. He gets access to Hakeem and Mchale

2. With Dwight proven he can be injured, asik will get more than simply 15 backup minutes to rest Howard and make sure asik knows he's still a major cog in this team.

3. I definitely think he enjoys this young core and one of the best cities to be in if you are a foreigner is Houston.

4. No income tax.

5. We are a top contender, duh.

He's a fantastic player but not near max.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users